PDA

View Full Version : Impending Turret Changes - Devils Advocate

Selendor
12-05-04, 18:47
Ok, so a lot of people are looking forward to the changes to Turret drops, the 2 changes were going to see (Construct required 60/80/100 ; no stealth) means that the only way to place turrets realistically will be with a tradeskiller when there isn't a fight on, or possibly with a PPU constructer. Thats fine, and I personally am always interested in changes to the end-game OP fights, rare as they are. But a thought troubles me:

Right now, if a largely superior force (and I mean really superior, like 6 to 1 advantage) is attacking your Op, and they are covering the underground (a common tactic), then the defending force can either decide to fight them with whoever they have online, or not bother. I've seen both happen. However, often, its the ability to drop a few turrets when you come up from the underground that gives you a chance at survival, and convinces you to go for it. Now, yes, I know this is looked upon as a lamer tactic, but we've all done it from time to time. But my point is this - as an attacking force, would you rather have someone come to defend the op and have a fight? Or would you rather take the Op unopposed? Surely you want fighting to happen, as we've all been on those long lonely op takes where we stand around waiting for the hack and nothing happens.

My concern with this change is that we will see less fighting at Op wars, as I don't think people will be willing to lay loads of turrets at their ops at all times (due to the number of turret ninja attacks / vanishing turrets etc). This is particularly relevant when you have ongoing conflicts between European and US/Aus timezone clans, where one always outnumbers the other.

What do you think about this? I'm not sure it will definitely turn out like this, and of course the 'ub3r' players out there will always fancy their chances 6 v 1, but from a devil's advocate standpoint, I just wonder....

athon
12-05-04, 18:58
I remember when op fights were honourable. Turrets were used mainly as an early warning system (there was no 3 level hack IIRC), you couldn't safe zone 'exploit' with the Underground and you would never think of GRing straight to an op under attack.

You would gather your allies (if any) and attack the op. You would find maybe 5-10 enemies as the attacking force. You would then play a game of luring the enemy out or storming the op, mainly dueling with enemies.

I hope that the extra requirements on dropping turrets will help to bring back these days. Days when op fights would be won by better skilled (Rangers would have double numbers against UTS and still lose - because we were crap at op fights - but it was fun!).

I would actually like to see the Underground go as well.

I'm not saying that Op fights aren't fun now. I'm just saying they could be more fun by making the fighting simpler.

As a rifle spy I'm very glad about the changes because it makes me mroe useful again. I can scout, snipe from hills to the side of the op when defending (or attacking if the setup is right) and generally be a proper rifleman, like the old days. *starts wondering off in a dremy daze of all those great op fights at Jeriko et al*

Athon Solo

J. Folsom
12-05-04, 19:02
I don't think it'll be too bad honestly.

While it's true that this would give smaller clans less of a chance, on the other hand, I think such turret changes will also make more clans interested in op warring, as the "OMG TURRET WHORE" complain is rather common.

Besides, as much as I disapprove of larger clans winning solely by numbers, I think only managing to win/maintain your outpost because of spawning turrets midfight is just as bad.

Also, the disappearing turret bug was fixed in Test Patch 199; so placing turrets beforehand is viable again now. And they'll still serve as early warning systems, which has always been their primary use as far as I'm concerned.

Also, if this actually prevents camping in the underground from being viable, I can't say I mind. Last few OP wars I've seen half the attacking force was engaged just keeping the underground entrance barreled, which isn't half as good as enemies coming to you from all sides.

Maloch Octavia
12-05-04, 19:07
Regardless as to what it might take, it's not that difficult, to organise your Clan to the extent where you can have one person doing spot checks on the Ops you hold, for Turret integrity.

It'll also mean you have to be more strategical about laying turrets as soon as it's safe to do so, after you initially take the Outpost, and it means you'll need to work hard at keeping the organisation strong enough, so that as soon as they start taking damage, they can be replaced.

It doesn't take that much.

A lot of Clans need to start recruiting outwith their own timezone, create a seperate heirarchy for it, but keep it in the one Clan, if must be.

It's possible, because it's been done before. :)

Purple storm
12-05-04, 19:08
I believe turrets are fine as there are. The extra stuff being added is a really un-needed nerf.

Infact all that is really needed is the removal of the ability to group shelter and deflector turrets.

athon
12-05-04, 19:10
I believe turrets are fine as there are. The extra stuff being added is a really un-needed nerf.

Infact all that is really needed is the removal of the ability to group shelter and deflector turrets.
If you check the test server patch notes I think that they mention something abotu PPU spells not working on turrets - but I'm not sure how far it goes because it just said something like 'damage boost, etc'

Athon Solo