PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU make your PE PvP viable?

MrBiggles
11-05-04, 18:55
Ok I'm close to capping my Pistol PE and I'm finding my ass consistently handed to me. Barring the ever-present GR ganking, if a Tank runs up to me currently I just stop running and don't shot, because I know I'm not going to even come close to killing them. Same with monks. I know that I need to practice more for large scale PvP, but I figure that against a single other person it boils down more to my setup and keeping my recticle on em more than anything.

So I figure my setup is missing something. Rather than post what my setup is and have everyone debate that, I'd like to see what you all have found works best for you in implants, maybe even favorite weapons.

I'm really hoping to not hear that PE isn't really even doable in PvP...that's not true, is it?

Lexxuk
11-05-04, 19:03
well, from what I heard, resists dont actually work the way they should do, so really, practice shooting constantly at the target, dont stop, and run around lots constanty shooting, you'll eventually win.

oh, and go rifles, pistols r for girls ;)

QuantumDelta
11-05-04, 19:09
I was for the longest time a Judge Purist.

When they nerfed PEs with AGL I went LowTech.
Became a Lib Purist (this was after the Lib nerf too).

These days, a good well rounded Lib setup CAN do well in duels.

PEs are really, duelists characters.
It will take a while before you work out a setup that can function anywhere even remotely near a Tank, APU or PPU or even a Spy in an op war as anything other than a sniper.

Now, providing you're talking about 1on1 fights, or basically, no fights that include a PPU _you have a chance_ however, even if you have your own PPU, it will only be /skill/ over setup that will allow you to win vs non-PEs with PPU Support.

PEs have refounded their old status with the stealth removal, of being the most skillfully requiring class to play.

Spies have ways out of that.
APUs are a close second to PEs.

Try to maintain a high-ish level of HP while allowing decent runspeed/high runspeed.

After you've satisified yourself with that, work on your resists start bringing them up to a level /YOU FEEL/ you can rely on as much as you're likely to get hit because you can /move well/.
That's the focus.
You don't have the massive damage of an APU.
You don't have the range or tricks of a Spy.
You don't have the stable defence of a Tank with Great Offence.

This means your focus has to be on evasion AND damage as well as health AND resists. (Yea everything ;))

Once you've decided on your setup, baring in mind you want a balanced one, depending on how you set that balance, then practise, mainly one on one, or if you feel up to it, two vs one.

Practise without shelter and deflector on.
This means you'll be able to see shelter as a bonus not a requirement(..believe me, against someone of equal skill, it's a requirement, and...even then............)

In open fights, damage boost is your friend.
Healing too.
try to setup your PSI so you can cast as effectively (damage) and quickly (frequency) as possible.

Then, because you are stressed on DEX Points, get yourself some top notch equipment.
PEs are a stretch, in everything they do.
They're taxed almost everywhere(STR/INT = Exceptionish....)

Try not to have trade skills they _WILL GIMP YOU_

PM me if you want to talk about exact setups, it'll be easier. (What may work for me, or for someone else, may not work for you, so it's best to show theory, and help you work out your own setup, cuz then you'll always be happy, what's more, is that it's YOUR setup, YOU made it, and YOU can be proud to play with that char).

MrBiggles
11-05-04, 19:13
PM me if you want to talk about exact setups, it'll be easier. (What may work for me, or for someone else, may not work for you, so it's best to show theory, and help you work out your own setup, cuz then you'll always be happy, what's more, is that it's YOUR setup, YOU made it, and YOU can be proud to play with that char).

Thanks QD, I'm at work now so I'll try and remember to PM you when I get home so I can give you my stats. Should be some way to access your char stats when at work for forum discussions :lol:

extract
11-05-04, 19:31
you have to counter your weaknesses on any class to be good in PvP

basically mine are, Im not to quick with the mouse, and my computer sucks....

my PE was hi-tech, I did great damage with RoG, but with FPS crapping out, and inability at times to aim correctly, the good dmg output wasnt shit when I hardly ever hit before i died....

so I lommed to low tech....popped in a move on and a pp resist...strength booster for backbone....wearing mix between lvl 2 & 3 armor, and a really good con setup, I laugh at most weapons dmg now, which gives me just a bit more time to aim and get some shots in, and a pain easer is nice against most classes....also it allowed me to spec ALOT more PSU and I can practically run cast a DB now, with PA on....which helps infinitely....

Serpent
11-05-04, 19:39
im a 3 drug hightech pe judge without pa( i hate pa)

first, i cast a heal on me, then i freeze the enemey, if he's better then me.. then i kneel and aim him then i jump and shoot all the time,i run around him and shoot all the time...

Original monk
11-05-04, 19:46
i dunno alot about PE's, i got a capped pistolPE at the uranusserver but i hardly use em :)

what i do know is why its hard to hit those buggers :) its cause they constantly run around you and keep going from left to right etc, constantly trying to make em hard to target

plus the fact that they stealth away at 10 health and heal up behind the corner ... decent PE's yust heal up midbattle and dont even bother to use stealth...

the hardest i find to fight against is the lowtechPE's, yust cause there aghility and reflexes are so high and cause they can use there spells veery quickly to rebuff or heal up (loads of psi use) ...

they dont deal THAT much of damage but cause there hard to target and dodge youre shots, run around you etc while constantly shooting when youre in a weak position/reload/bad moment or i dunno what so it counts up yeah :)

but that would be it lol

have fun playing a pe, do note that stealth gonna be gone for PE's in the next or one of the next patches ... but dont phear, PE defence is more then enough by itself

i didnt read the whole thread so dont blame me if im repeating things :)

ciao

n3m
11-05-04, 19:49
heal shelter resist booster and a pistol if I remember to bring it

circlestrafe around them, continuesly.

Also someone said this to me in neofrag; most people have their mouse close to the keyboard making it harder for them to turn left. Dunno if it works, never think about it in a duel, I just go for it tbh. Thinking you will loose will lets you go all out, and win sometimes afterall :D

MrChumble
11-05-04, 19:50
Stealthing away to heal seems to work well. It won't earn you any respect, but niether does dying, so you're damned either way.

Original monk
11-05-04, 20:32
Also someone said this to me in neofrag; most people have their mouse close to the keyboard making it harder for them to turn left.

never thought of that before, i automatically attack going from my rightside (making the other to turn left yeah) to feel out the flexibility and reaction if ya may call it like that (in close) .. but it isnt that stupid of idea, au contraire, this is golden info :) i gonna keep this in mind cause it doesnt only aply to neocron but to fps in general :)

ezza
11-05-04, 20:33
Stealthing away to heal seems to work well. It won't earn you any respect, but niether does dying, so you're damned either way.
i respect someone who fights to the death more than someone who pussies off with there precious little stealth tool, more so if the person shows they got skills.

MrChumble
11-05-04, 20:39
i respect someone who fights to the death more than someone who pussies off with there precious little stealth tool, more so if the person shows they got skills.

I'm more a "use the tools KK gave you" kind of person. No one bitches at a tank for using a CS.

That all said I don't even have a pistol/rifle PE (Tinks is HC) so I've no particular axe to grind. I'd hold forth at great length if the topic was "why are HC PEs so nerfed". :D

ezza
11-05-04, 20:45
if it was a subject titled that id say your wrong and ive seen a very good HC PE on saturn owning people with his speed gat

MrChumble
11-05-04, 20:52
if it was a subject titled that id say your wrong and ive seen a very good HC PE on saturn owning people with his speed gat

I can't resist replying...oh for a threaded forum...why did this non-threaded crap gain popularity anyway?

Tinks only fights from the back of her trike. And the trike is crap. But as a HC PE is the only class that can use them I feel an obligation to keep using it just so KK see that we like new content.

Doc Holliday
11-05-04, 20:54
get some skillz! ;) ok only joking mate. learning to aim with a pe is fun. its not so hard as u have to have your mouse set up just right and have almost perfect hand eye coord like for a decent cs aim but not as daft as say a monk. a good imp set up is important. drugs really help too. in a big way. so does the rest of your actual equipment. ie get a good shelter def etc etc. i have until very recently always been a low tech rifle pe not wearing pa. with the current stealth removal i could become one again very soon. i prefer to fight and die than run and hide. my best advice to mr chumble is look carefully at your imp set ups and try and get the most + without any - and u wont go far wrong. heres a pain easer set up ( mine im currently using. )

brain chips.

sf dist wep 3 exp ball wep 3 moveon

rc3 eye

filter heart 2

exp reflex booster

xray head arm leg. exp foot. bat queen chest.

thats imps. i use red flash and det forte ( for br3 )

wont go in to exact con set up but u can mix and match.

i wear inq 2 helm legs. psi boots. med nrg belt. and then i swap between pa3 and dura 2 depends on mood/weapon. ie pe or rog :)

should hopefully give u an idea. when beast changes in retail im prob gonna pop beast 2 and upgrade my armour. thats a whole other story tho. :cool:

MrBiggles
11-05-04, 22:15
unfortunately, it looks like my initial hunch is correct, in that all the best looking setups involve SF and moveon chips.

this really really sucks for me, because even though i've been hunting DoY bots religiously for about a month, I'm still only at about 3mil in cash. So that means I've got at LEAST 2 months more to go in order to have enough cash to buy those two imps.

bah. that's so discouraging, even if i did suspect it.

QuantumDelta
11-05-04, 22:18
hunt warbies/fire mobs and do the biotech epic?

All my chars (that I rolled after epics came in anyway) started in PP, did BT missions while leveling, did PP epic, went BT, did BT Epic, killed TT went FA :P

And, IIRC (which may be wrong) my first setup I was using when I started to get a good rep as a PVPer had NO RARES at all, except my Judge.

Admittedly, no one knew anything about anything back then, but meh...

MrChumble
11-05-04, 22:19
Excuse the heretical opinion, but DoYs actually suck ass for money. They take too long to kill, then you waste time hacking. Far far better to go to graves/cc/el farid and kill lower level mobs en masse. In two weeks, having bought and built loads of armour and weapons, my tank has 1 mil. At 1k a pop the lvl 50 scorpions rule :)

INFERNO22
11-05-04, 22:30
simple answer you need SKILL

MrBiggles
11-05-04, 22:31
oh and mrbhumble, meant to point it out earlier and didn't you CAN have threaded mode, it's in the options at the top of the page, under Display Modes. :cool:

giga191
11-05-04, 22:33
simple answer you need SKILL
Well if a PE with SKILL came up against a tank with SKILL then why shuld the tank win?

MrChumble
11-05-04, 22:34
oh and mrbhumble, meant to point it out earlier and didn't you CAN have threaded mode, it's in the options at the top of the page, under Display Modes. :cool:

Wh00t thanks!

Slight problem with this though: to me it will look like I'm on topic in a branching sorta way, but to anyone using normal view it won't :)

BombShell
11-05-04, 22:39
Well if a PE with SKILL came up against a tank with SKILL then why shuld the tank win?

duno about u but this reffers to both classes if 1 skilled pe comes aginst 1 skilled tank someone is goin to die thats how i see it.

INFERNO22
11-05-04, 22:44
Well a pe with skill vs a tank with skill you will find the Pe would die a few times the tank would die a few times its pretty mutch equal

Mordillo
11-05-04, 23:17
i can say very good aim tanks can kill easy a very good aim pe so tanks>pes
but i think its right because tank is the FIGHT CLASS if anyone forgot it.
He can only fight and cant tradeskill like all other class

BombShell
11-05-04, 23:26
i can say very good aim tanks can kill easy a very good aim pe so tanks>pes
but i think its right because tank is the FIGHT CLASS if anyone forgot it.
He can only fight and cant tradeskill like all other class
\\honestly ur right
tank/pe

defence- pretty much equal
offence-pe weaker then tank. now do to the pistol boost and cs nerf thay are probly close to each other.

speed tanks can chase u down but hardly gun u down if u keep running unless someone paras u. and a good PE can run loops around a tank just dont get hit.

now monks before thay were nerfed many times never followed these rules. and thay say thay were balanced :) if u think about it thay wernt and dont say anything that can be compared to spys being the weaker class such as.

thay hav lower defence and deserve more damage spys hav weaker defence and deserve even greater damage. and to capped wepaon their slow well monks are hardly hurt. this is y i dont listen to most monk ranks.

alig
11-05-04, 23:41
Go judge pe.... > all. My pistol pe is a judge user and its rare i ever die 1 on 1....XaNToR is the only pe i havent killed yet but got close :mad: i was a rolh user but that just isnt possible without an sa (i dont have one:( )...i use moveon/sf/exp ballistic wep 3/distance 3/exp heart 2, im not telling you my resists for obvious reasons....my resists are teh uber :D i use beast/redflash and dest forte (the dest for heat1).

Edit/ Dont move in little strides, it may seem as if you are faster dodging on your own screen but soon as your player position goes out your connection, through your ISP, over to the server and out to the person watching you, you have only moved a few polygons.... :rolleyes: Take long runs...if your going to run at someone, run and dont stop till you are about 3 tank lenths behind them...that way they see you actually running fast and obviously, harder to hit.