PDA

View Full Version : ..:: Internet Explorer Help ::..

enigma_b17
10-05-04, 20:32
Rite every time that i get a 404 page not found, ie when i type some stupid address like www.microsoft.unix, when it the error page comes up it just closes and opens an add, ie closes that is. A friend said that the actual html file that the error page uses might have been altered, any1 know where i can locate the 404 error page ?

Morganth
10-05-04, 20:35
Rite every time that i get a 404 page not found, ie when i type some stupid address like www.microsoft.unix, when it the error page comes up it just closes and opens an add, ie closes that is. A friend said that the actual html file that the error page uses might have been altered, any1 know where i can locate the 404 error page ?

Its part of a DLL file, which is located in the system folder. Gimme a sec to locate.

EDIT: Any chance of a screenie of what comes up?

enigma_b17
10-05-04, 20:39
its just that stupid msn search page, and then that ie closes and an ad pops up :/

Morganth
10-05-04, 20:40
its just that stupid msn search page, and then that ie closes and an ad pops up :/

Sounds like you need to download an adware/spyware removal tool. Or reinstall IE. Try Googling Ad-Aware, its pretty good and might solve the problem.

enigma_b17
10-05-04, 22:52
ya i tried adaware and it found aload of stuff which i removed but its still happenin :/ id give a screenshot but all i get is that it goes to search.msn.co.uk then ie closes and an ad pops up, tis weird as hell

Morganth
10-05-04, 22:53
ya i tried adaware and it found aload of stuff which i removed but its still happenin :/ id give a screenshot but all i get is that it goes to search.msn.co.uk then ie closes and an ad pops up, tis weird as hell

Reinstall IE and patch it is all I can say. Unless anyone has any better suggestions?

jernau
11-05-04, 11:44
Check the network settings in IE and make sure there isn't a dodgy proxy in there.

Run anti-virus as well as ad-aware.

Nidhogg
11-05-04, 11:49
Verisign aren't abusing the DNS again are they?

/edit - just saw it was going to the msn search page, so that would be a no then.

N

enigma_b17
11-05-04, 12:59
ive run adaware twice now and its still happening. Searched my registry entries and still cant find anything anonymous. I read an article saying that Microsoft have replaced the 404 error page that you would normally get when you type a non existant url with a microsoft search page, which according to microsoft "will make browsing the internet a whole lot easier for ie users in general". This happens fine on other machines in my network, ie goes tot he search page and nothing happens, it just seems to be on this machine. Side note, how do i reinstall Internet explorer, its integrated into Windows, i cant reinstall it without reinstalling windows

kurai
11-05-04, 22:44
Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced ...

Scroll down to "Search from the Address Bar" section ...

Select "Do not search from the address bar"

Apply & restart IE.

KeithMyath
11-05-04, 23:26
The ultimate fix:

ditch shitty IE, i moved to using Opera, (i dunnno opera.com), since then, i dont get popups, i can resume viewing the same pages when i start opera, and if it crashes, most of the time it can resume where it was, oh right and its faster too.

Morganth
12-05-04, 02:02
Side note, how do i reinstall Internet explorer, its integrated into Windows, i cant reinstall it without reinstalling windows

I think its Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs => Add/Remove Windows Components, then remove IE through that. If not, locate the IE executable (iexplore.exe) and delete it, then reboot and it should replace it with a fresh copy.

enigma_b17
12-05-04, 03:28
ok thx for help all, will update if i find a fix would appreciate it if mods could leave thread open as I know a few ppl avin this problem. thanks :D