PDA

View Full Version : [Tech Question] Partitioning.

Shujin
09-05-04, 04:03
Hiya, I'm pretty noob w/ a good amount of computer stuff and I was wonderin, how do I make a partition? Or would it be an extended partition?

I know if I was usin win9x or dos i could just fdisk, but im runnin XP and not sure how to. Do I gotta get a dos boot disk to do it? Use a third-party program? Looked through all the commands through xp's command prompt and seen nothing relating to partitions.

Thx for any help.

Scanner Darkly
09-05-04, 04:19
I have not done this extensively, but I have used Partition Magic (PM) several times in the past, all without any problems on several machines.

You can use this in dos or windows.

Most important thing you need to remember is that you shouldnt have any important (unbacked up) data on the HDD youre partitioning.

You will make a primary partition, and extended one(s) after this. Also make sure you format it to the right FS(file system), eg. youll probably want NTFS for windows 2k/XP. The nice thing about PM is that you can resize the partitions even with data on (with slightly increased risk of course) and you can download a trial copy from http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic.

Also make sure the primary partition is large enough for your OS and everything you want to keep on drive C: (if you are partitioning your primary drive).

Personally i run a 3 HDD setup with my OS and some things on drive 1 and everything I want to run FAST on my RAID array.

Hope (some of) this was helpful.

Ciao,

SD

Shujin
09-05-04, 04:26
Btw just so anyone wants to know, the reason I want to partition is because Im wanting to reformat and reinstall xp or even revert to 98 but I got alot I want to move to a safe partition so I can just format the partition XP is installed on and then install 98 or reinstall XP on it.

Edit:
I just read in my book that XP has "Disk Management" for partitioning. Anyone know if its better to use that or PM?

Edit2:
And where is it O_o, my book doesnt say... it just says "XP uses Disk Management"

Edit3:
Found it, its in Administrative tools.

petek480
09-05-04, 04:30
Edit:
I just read in my book that XP has "Disk Management" for partitioning. Anyone know if its better to use that or PM?
Afaik the only way to partition your hdd with data on it is to use something like PM. You can't do it with windows or at least I don't think you can.

Scanner Darkly
09-05-04, 04:34
If you revert to win98(SE!) make sure you use FAT32...

Also I've partitioned with PM maybe 5 times in the last year and never had a problem, but if you were to Crash/powerdown during the partitioning process youd lose all...

Yes you can partition drive -> move stuff to second partition -> format primary

ciao,

SD

Shujin
09-05-04, 04:37
Afaik the only way to partition your hdd with data on it is to use something like PM. You can't do it with windows or at least I don't think you can.
Well my " A+ Software managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting. " book for my OS class says you can through Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

But I'm not see'ing anything to. Only option I see is "Convert Disk 0 to Dynamic Drive?"

Edit:

but if you were to Crash/powerdown during the partitioning process youd lose all...

SD
Yea, but would give me a change to test my new "Maestro" boot cd ;P

Scanner Darkly
09-05-04, 04:40
im not a big fan of built in windows tools and I know little about that. Anyways I run XP home atm :(

Also partitioning and moving data takes a long time...so patience is key, let it do its thing.

ciao,

SD

Shujin
09-05-04, 05:02
Well, I now have a 2.99GB sized Drive S: ;P
Not big enough to put any of my games on it but big enough for me to put homework, and some small things.

If I were to install a game on that partition would it run slower than if it were not on the partition.

Divide
09-05-04, 05:03
Well my " A+ Software managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting. " book for my OS class says you can through Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

But I'm not see'ing anything to. Only option I see is "Convert Disk 0 to Dynamic Drive?"

Edit:

Yea, but would give me a change to test my new "Maestro" boot cd ;P

You can use that disk management utility, but you wont be able to create/edit partitions without destroying the data on them... Your best bet (if you dont use partition magic) is to just use the tool that is included in the install of XP. Make sure to create a partition instead of using the whole disk, otherwise you will be right back at square 1.

Sex teh malcon

Shujin
09-05-04, 05:08
Sex teh malcon
sex teh divvyeyed ;0

yavimaya
09-05-04, 08:50
Yea i also say FUCK PM!
i think you can just use the windows cd?
usually i reboot, set my CD ROM as boot drive, let it boot off CD, then either partition with or without format/install as i need it. it couldnt be easier, rr cept maybe if done in windows :P

jernau
09-05-04, 17:59
Btw just so anyone wants to know, the reason I want to partition is because Im wanting to reformat and reinstall xp or even revert to 98 but I got alot I want to move to a safe partition so I can just format the partition XP is installed on and then install 98 or reinstall XP on it.
If you want to preserve data and there is no unpartitioned space available you need Partition Magic or something similar.

SilentEye
09-05-04, 18:19
Hey,

You can use a powerfull tool called 'PartitionMagic' check for it on google or something and I'm sure you'll find something.

Regards,
Silent

Ormy
10-05-04, 01:14
I don't trust windows, least of all with juggling with multi-GB sections of my valuable data at a time. Use a third party app that you KNOW works, or don't bother.

Scanner Darkly
10-05-04, 01:47
Is it me or is there an echo in this thread?

I really don't know how else to say what I said, so I don't think I'll make my RSI any worse.

SD,

out

Organics
10-05-04, 01:50
Is it me or is there an echo in this thread?

I really don't know how else to say what I said, so I don't think I'll make my RSI any worse.

SD,

out

Lol :D

I think it's just that ppl read the first post and don't read any replies. I usually read all replies unless the thread is over 4 pages long, then I just skim it.

(edit: RSI suxx, really hurts sometimes :/)

Shujin
10-05-04, 02:02
i got a small question on OS's too.
when u look at software / game's recommended / required hardware thing when it lists them, it usually says somethin like 128mb ram, BUT it says if u haveh XP its 256mb.

so if i have about 700mb ddr ram, 128mb ddr vid card, and 1.5ghz proc. would i get better performance out of 98 or xp?

brackk
10-05-04, 20:27
Win98 is notoriously bad at managing memory past 64m. W2k and XP are probably your best bet.

jernau
10-05-04, 20:29
You won't get full hardware support for 80% of the tech in a modern PC from Win98. Sure, it'll run but only enough to tick the box.