PDA

View Full Version : I am a new restaurateur...

RayBob
08-05-04, 00:50
I hire 2 waiters and a cook and open the doors for business. My restaurant has seating for 50. People love my food and the place is packed, but there is a problem. My customers are complaining…the food is taking too long, the service is slow. The four of us work our ass off but we simply cannot keep up. People are walking out.

[I am doing my best. The four of us are doing our best. However, at some point “doing your best” is just not enough. People may sympathize with you but they also want a good meal and good service or they will go elsewhere. Business is harsh—you simply have to deliver or close your doors.]

A customer notices my dilemma and pulls me aside. She tells me she loves my concept and the food. She would like to help me expand and offers to become a financial partner. After much deliberation I agree to sell her a portion of my business and she provides me with growth capital.

Now what do I do? I can hire 4 more waiters, 3 cooks, 2 busboys, a hostess with the mostess, and a bartender. That seems like the right thing to do.

KK recently acquired a financial partner (I forget the name of the company). Why didn’t they hire more people? I know the current staff is doing their best but everything is taking too long. Again, why didn’t they hire more people?

slaughteruall
08-05-04, 00:54
We are all asking ourselves the same thing.

Slaughter

dL9
08-05-04, 00:59
Maybe some people want to keep the profits :eek:

Syphn
08-05-04, 01:06
Id have to agree Raybob but nonetheless KK trys thats all anybody can ever do and for the amount of people made this game its damn well done and stands up to the bigger companys for concept and game play i simply love this game and have since Beta 4. They try and they have done well sure id love to see more employees and more speed to the game just to improve it further but i have to say they have done well. Could be better but very well.

Divide
08-05-04, 04:51
I hire 2 waiters and a cook and open the doors for business. My restaurant has seating for 50. People love my food and the place is packed, but there is a problem. My customers are complaining…the food is taking too long, the service is slow. The four of us work our ass off but we simply cannot keep up. People are walking out.

[I am doing my best. The four of us are doing our best. However, at some point “doing your best” is just not enough. People may sympathize with you but they also want a good meal and good service or they will go elsewhere. Business is harsh—you simply have to deliver or close your doors.]

A customer notices my dilemma and pulls me aside. She tells me she loves my concept and the food. She would like to help me expand and offers to become a financial partner. After much deliberation I agree to sell her a portion of my business and she provides me with growth capital.

Now what do I do? I can hire 4 more waiters, 3 cooks, 2 busboys, a hostess with the mostess, and a bartender. That seems like the right thing to do.

KK recently acquired a financial partner (I forget the name of the company). Why didn’t they hire more people? I know the current staff is doing their best but everything is taking too long. Again, why didn’t they hire more people?

being a long time restaurant employee, I can make some good (at least I think so) suggestions.

A serving staff should NOT be overdone-- servers will be coming in and out of your doors forever if you dont give them enough tables due to the fact that they wont make shit for cash on your busiest night ever if they are running a 2 table section.

My suggestion would be this:
Hire a total of 6 servers, unless all 4 servers want to work every shift you are open. When your restaurant expands to meet more than 50 people then you should concern yourself with a greater sized wait staff.

Have 1 hostess set for Friday and Saturday nights, or any other nights that become excessively busy.

Have a total of 5 cooks, 2 to 3 working on your average day-- 4 or 5 on Fridays and Saturdays

Hire 1 busboy and work him Fridays and Saturdays only, unless you find that the waitstaff is getting swamped on other days because they have to clean tables and keep everyone happy.

Be your own bartender-- it will give you a chance to mingle with your customers and get to know them a little better. Not only will you save a bit of cash every week, but you will be taking a tremendous strain off the staff (especially if you serve blended drinks).
As the bartender, you could continue to keep up with management yourself, generally customer-oriented management is going to be your primary task during your operating hours, which is good because it doesnt take long to handle.

I have a lot of respect for any person going into business for themselves-- especially in the food service industry. The FSI is one of the most competitive and nervewrecking industries of all.

This new capital is going to help you an incredible amount... Spend it wisely.

RayBob
08-05-04, 05:53
o_O Umm..you do realize I was making an analogy with Neocron right? I'm not in the FSI.

Shujin
08-05-04, 06:09
being a long time restaurant employee

aka - mcdonalds.

naimex
08-05-04, 12:41
well if you want a true answer,

maybe you would care to tell why the food is taking too long ??

Not even to deliver the finished food ? = waiters
Not enough to cook the food ? // too many orders for the cook to keep up with ? = cook

A hostess could be good.. but with such (pardon me saying) low staff, I don´t think that´s good.

Do you really need a bartender ?

what is a busboy ?

Genty
08-05-04, 13:16

Your right, KK really should hire more staff, although I feel there is an important difference between a restaurant and a game developer.

First being, how many people in a specific area can be a waiter? Compare that with the ammount that are coders and you will probably see the dilemma. I am sure quite a few months ago MJS posted something about being unable to find sufficient staff that are willing to relocate to Hannover (can't specifically remember what he said).

I am sure if Game Coders grew on trees like Waiters etc do that KK would already have hired some, however, unfortunatly there is only a limited thing you can get from a bare field of crops.

Opar
08-05-04, 13:29
*dies laughing at Divide*

omg omg omg classic, *saves page*

extract
08-05-04, 13:45
it totally sounds like a legit story lol..i beleived it and now its even funnier that its just an analogy.....

Divide
08-05-04, 19:30
o_O Umm..you do realize I was making an analogy with Neocron right? I'm not in the FSI.

I stopped reading your original post when you brought up neocron. maybe if I had read it I would have seen this coming :P

___T-X____
08-05-04, 20:44
Wheres the restaurant ?
/edit. Shit I forgot some of this community doesnt understand sarcasm. ill rephrase.

Wheres the restaurant ? :wtf:

]v[ortice
08-05-04, 22:45
Funny thread this man.

While we're on the subject... I wouldn't mind a roll call of all the people on that daft credits list at the end of Neo. Wonder how many of those guys have anything to do with this game now?

Cytaur
08-05-04, 22:59
Odin lives in Hamilton, Ontario and Lupus is around that area too even though he's not a KK employee. What KK should do is open an office in toronto area, hire lupus and people would gladly relocate to toronto rather than hannover...

{MD}GeistDamnit
08-05-04, 23:00
Happy to hear you have a cool business. Good luck with it man :)

as for KK the game business is a lot better than the restauraunt in terms of games sell themselves and you dont need to put things out right away. If I was MJS I wouldent hire nobody elce either. My thoughts are that they are abandoning the current game in favor of doy, which is the right choice. We will all see when it comes out that the man made the right decision.