PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing question

Omnituens
07-05-04, 20:46
OK, i want to OC my processor by increasing the FBS. Do I need to increase the core voltage at the same time?

Also, does the same apply to the multiplier?

Thanks.

subsys
07-05-04, 20:50
depends on what processor it is and how far you want to take it. there is no absolute answer!

usually you take it up a step at a time, if it wont run stable then you take the voltage up a notch, but as i say there is no absolute answer it doesnt just depend on your chip, it depends on which die it came out of and even the wafer can make a significant difference

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 20:57
What MB are you using? What HSF? What chip is it? Do you happen to know the stepping code for it? Also what RAM are you using?

All of these are a factor in how far you can OC your comp. More info and we can better answer your questions.

To start off up your FSB check for stabilty using PRIME95 or 3Dmark01.

if stable go higher if not up your voltage (CPU/NB/RAM depends on how high you are currently).

Currently i have a 1700+ (1.47 gig) running at 2.346 gig 204x11.5

Slaughter

Omnituens
07-05-04, 21:11
Asus A7N8X- Deluxe mobo
PC3200 DDR Dual Channel RAM 512MB
Current FSB: 133MHz
Current Multiplier: 12.0x
Duron 1.6GHz

alig
07-05-04, 21:23
How do you know if its stable or not? what are the signs of stability, crashing? i want to overclock my pc too so i might as well ask in this thread.... Im running 2600+ amd 333mhz (Throughbred) 1gb DDR 400, Abit KV7 mobo.

What is the _max_ temp a throughbred AMD can get to...i dont care about life span, its getting replaced in one month as long as it will last a month of course :p its usually at 45c loaded atm but i got NO liquid silver on my cpu:o took my fan of 3 times recently and i just thought i'd give it a clean with my jumper :lol: nvm...i got 7 case fans a thermaltake case and a big ass cpu fan....but not big enough.

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 21:24
Never OC'd a duron before but should be the same. I would drop the multi to 11 or 10 for testing. Up the FSB to around 150 at first then try from there. If you need help you can ask here (www.overclockers.com).

Slaughter

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 21:37
To test for stabilty get a prog called PRIME95. Run that for awhile (most ppl run it for 8 hours at least) in torqer test. It will run your comp at 100% CPU useage. If it does not crash up it some more. I didn't start testing for stabilty on this comp untill i got to 200FSB. I would OC it play some single player games for awhile. If it did not crash i would up it more.

Max temp for a Throughbred is 70c i think. I have mine running at 36c

Slaughter

alig
07-05-04, 21:48
Hmm...that is quite a long time, 8 hours....alright my pc crashed the other day when i was pissing about with o/c'ing....but i was only using a 300W PSU...im using a 480W proper 'bo PSU now, it wasnt overheating, it just crashed :/ do i need to manually up the volts or are pc's clever enough to help themselfs to more electric :p.

Also can you figure out why my pc wont actually boot if i change the FSB and mulitplyer myself..it just restarts BIOS and does'nt do anything, i have to then flick the jumper on mobo to reset BIOS to change it. It only works if i just change it to a preset one like 2800+ 3000+ 400mhz 3000+ 333mhz 3200+ 400mhz etc....

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 21:52
Hmm...that is quite a long time, 8 hours....alright my pc crashed the other day when i was pissing about with o/c'ing....but i was only using a 300W PSU...im using a 480W proper 'bo PSU now, it wasnt overheating, it just crashed :/ do i need to manually up the volts or are pc's clever enough to help themselfs to more electric :p.

Also can you figure out why my pc wont actually boot if i change the FSB and mulitplyer myself..it just restarts BIOS and does'nt do anything, i have to then flick the jumper on mobo to reset BIOS to change it. It only works if i just change it to a preset one like 2800+ 3000+ 400mhz 3000+ 333mhz 3200+ 400mhz etc....

You have to manually up the volts in the bios.

Depends on how old your chip is. I think after week 31 of last year they are all coming with locked multi's (except mobile chips). You should still be able to change the FSB tho. What MB are you using?

Slaughter

alig
07-05-04, 21:55
I got mine after week31 (that is if week1 started in january 1st 2003 and not business start of year) but it shows mulitplyer and FSB and i can change both manually, im using an Abit KV7 mobo.

alig
07-05-04, 22:51
Ok i just overclocked it, its now 200mhz fsb X 11.5 = 2231mhz @ 45c unloaded, i have'nt tried a game yet but i will be doing. I'd also like to know how you work out how much voltage you need to change...i just randomly changed it from 1.6 volts to 1.725 volts :wtf:

Edit/ When i try to start neocron i get a FRE before it even starts :lol: i love pc's they rock :rolleyes:

Edit2/ Fuck it, im going back to normal, are barton cpu's this shit too? i want to overclock my pc...but i dont want a locked cpu, how do i know if its locked? i'm not even going to bother speaking to a technical dude at pc world or something, they dont even know where the num lock key is.

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 22:54
You want the least amount of volts that you need to still stay 100% stable. More volts will just drive up your temp. I think i am at 1.750 or 1.775 not sure tho.

Slaughter

n3m
07-05-04, 23:04
All I have to say, take SMALL steps

alig
07-05-04, 23:11
So i put my cpu back to stock speeds and nc still FRE's before the log in screen...im pissed now so i change the time of my from year 2100 to 2004 and nc works...WTF? WHY?

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 23:15
Why did you have your year set to 2100? BTW i have no problem running 3 NC's(windows mode) on my comp and 1 teamspeak.

Slaughter

alig
07-05-04, 23:18
Well...before i tried just 200mhz fsb i tried to put the multiplyer up instead (knowing full well it didnt work last time or the time before that) and it didnt work this time either...wont boot so i had to reset CMOS on mobo which resets the time/date etc....weird that nc would'nt start because of that O_o

I can run FarCry full screen, NC full screen and winamp :p Only have roughly 60mb memory left after though, farcry goes a tiny bit jumpy but nothing major.

slaughteruall
07-05-04, 23:23
Mmm dont have winamp but i should be able to run farcry and NC full screen no problem. i can run 2 NC full screen but it starts to lag after a while(fills my 1 gig of memory). I run my games at full details (well except farcry noone really can yet and still get good FPS). When i was PKing yesterday in TG canyon i was getting around 150 FPS with one NC and teamspeak going.

Slaughter

subsys
08-05-04, 00:05
your approch to ocing really worries me, you shouldent be changing anything randomly, especially not the voltage, thats asking for a melted cpu.

overclocking your machine can often take weeks, what with testing each increase!