PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: New virus

BunkerBoy
06-05-04, 21:16
Just wanted to warn everyone. If you get an email from blinkkj@cs.com or any other unknown person that has the title Re: Your Software, it will probably have an attatchment called application.pif DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT! i did a scan and heres what it found-

File name: application.pif
File type: application/octet-stream
Scan result: Virus "W32.Netsky.D@mm" found.

Archeus
06-05-04, 21:17
actually the email addresses are randomly generated by finding email addresses on an infected machine. So it is possible that the email in question has no virus at all.

rob444
06-05-04, 21:17
LOL its old as hell and you shouldnt download any attachments with pif,bat,exe,com,scr,lnk,vbs,vba anyway.

Cytaur
06-05-04, 21:18
Skynet is taking over the world... onoz get ready for machines nuking the mankind

BunkerBoy
06-05-04, 21:22
yeah i know, but just warning those who dont since its being sent again. I just recieved 3 more emails from random with different file names this one was your_file.pif and your_archive.pif and your_document.pif your_details.pif.....and.....wtf nowi just got 5 more.......its gonna be a long day.....

BunkerBoy
06-05-04, 21:23
Skynet is taking over the world... onoz get ready for machines nuking the mankind

rofl, it could be. you never know. :lol:

alig
06-05-04, 21:38
My brother phoned me up to tell me that a new virus is loose on the net, he got this of the news...on TV ! supposedly it doesnt need an email/download to get on your computer.

Morganth
06-05-04, 21:42
yeah i know, but just warning those who dont since its being sent again. I just recieved 3 more emails from random with different file names this one was your_file.pif and your_archive.pif and your_document.pif your_details.pif.....and.....wtf nowi just got 5 more.......its gonna be a long day.....

I got an archive saved on my PC infected with the virus, from some South African bank who were forwarding me my credit card details from some transaction I complete with their associates. Shame I am only 16.

Al3X
06-05-04, 21:53
1 word
virusscanner

Morganth
06-05-04, 21:58
1 word
virusscanner

lol, one word - spelling

Lafiel
06-05-04, 22:06
1 word
virusscanner

LOL! nope u cant pull that one off alex sory

cRazy2003
06-05-04, 22:52
i went off one night and when i came back on the next day i hate 52 e-mail's with those attachments, gotta be sorted soon though TBH IMO

Ransom
06-05-04, 23:17
LOL its old as hell and you shouldnt download any attachments with pif,bat,exe,com,scr,lnk,vbs,vba anyway.

Nope, the Netsky virus itself is old, but this is a new strain. From a gov. dept. distributed e-mail dated 6 May 2004:

"The latest Netsky worm is incredibly sneaky in the social engineering it uses to infect innocent computer users. It knows people are panicking right now about Sasser so it presents itself as a fix for Sasser from one of several well-known anti-virus firms. All users should be wary of launching unsolicited e-mails"

What to look for
An e-mail is recieved claiming to have been sent by one of the anti-virus vendors. These include but are not limited to Sophos, Symantec, McAfee, etc. and will be in a format similar to the one below:

Subject Line: Escalation
Message text:
Dear user of <your domain name>
We have recieved several abuses:
-Hundreds of infected e-mails have been sent from your e-mail account by the new worm <virus name>
-Spam e-mail is being relayed by the backdoor that the virus has created The malicious file uses your mail account to distribute itself. The backdoor that the worm opens allows remote attackers to gain control of your computer. The new worm is spreading rapidly around the world now and is a serious threat that hits users.
Due to this, we are providing you to remove the infection on your computer and to stop the spreading of the malware with a special....

So, once again, instead of shouting down someone that has taken a little time to warn you of a new virus threat, spend that time pressing the update button on your virus scanner/firewall/window(Linex) update.

Ransom

EDIT: could also have something to do with Thanatos's Announcement

rob444
06-05-04, 23:45
Well I didnt shout and nope, I didnt know about this new virus as I never get infected (uberness I guess?).

Lexxuk
06-05-04, 23:56
1 word
virusscanner

One word would be "NortonAntiVirusForWindows" or umm, "AVGAntiVirus" or even "PCCILLIN" oh, that is one word :angel:

athon
07-05-04, 00:17
One word would be "NortonAntiVirusForWindows" or umm, "AVGAntiVirus" or even "PCCILLIN" oh, that is one word :angel:
Or ClamAntivirusOnMyServerStopsTheEmailsEverGettingToMyPC (running your own web & mail server is the only way to live!) :D

Athon Solo