PDA

View Full Version : natural remedies for depression?

Lafiel
06-05-04, 17:04
hey.. i have a friend ( ;) ) whos was doagnosed with depression a year ago.... took meds for a couple months and stopped and seemed to be better but now its coming back worse than before and my friend doesnt want to goto no doctors no more or take any medications... wondering if any of you have an suggestions about natural things that will help in any way... excercises or anything?

extract
06-05-04, 17:08
hey.. i have a friend ( ;) ) whos was doagnosed with depression a year ago.... took meds for a couple months and stopped and seemed to be better but now its coming back worse than before and my friend doesnt want to goto no doctors no more or take any medications... wondering if any of you have an suggestions about natural things that will help in any way... excercises or anything?

no idea, but if its your friend, I suggest you strongly pursuade them to take medication....I had a friend who was the same way, unfortunately his depression unmedicated caused him to down a bottle of pills......

prozium
06-05-04, 17:10
uhm i would say eating healthy, getting a good night sleep, and execising are probably the most you can do, other than getting him or her involved in a project that once they finish it will make them feel good about themself for completing it!

Gestra
06-05-04, 17:11
[ edited ]

extract
06-05-04, 17:12
[ edited for consistency ]

[ edited ]

Lafiel
06-05-04, 17:13
[ edited for consistancy ]

tried that allready ;)

... st johns wart huh? ill have to have my friend try that...

just want to try something else besides meds

Lexxuk
06-05-04, 17:13
When taken regularly, antidepressants will contribute to the recovery of around 70% of patients; however, some 30% do not respond to drug treatment, at least at first. Typically, people feel significantly improved, and often back to their usual self, within a few months. It is important that people continue with their treatment, even beyond the time they feel better: if people stop too early, there is a 50% risk of becoming depressed again, within the first six months of stopping treatment. In people with more severe forms of depression, with recurring episodes, antidepressants can have a role in preventing new periods of depression.

There is a lot of information out there on depression, try http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk and search for depression. Best thing your friend can do, is just to talk to the doctor about drug therapy, like amitriptyline is a good one (prozac sux, makes u wanna puke). But like that quote says, its very important to keep taking the medication, long term, not just when you feel better.

There are natural remedies out there though, but pills are the way to go.

Furion
06-05-04, 17:16
[ edited ]

Yah gestra,go do that plz

Gestra
06-05-04, 17:17
[ edited ]

Lafiel
06-05-04, 17:17
just thinking about going back to those doctors and having to be on medecation again to feel normal is making my friend more depressed.. :(

thx for the input tho

Clownst0pper
06-05-04, 17:18
There is no such thing as depression.

Its just miserable people who are so angst they cant get over the slightest shock to the system.

So they just constantly moan about it, and being human, we attactch a stupid clinical tag to it, just so it makes people feel better, and feel that once they have been diagnosed, they can be cured.

Tell him to stop being pathetic and pull himself together. :wtf:

Marx
06-05-04, 17:19
[ edited for consistency ]
Just remember, it's 'down the road' not 'across the street'.

extract
06-05-04, 17:20
[ edited ]

yea it can also be a nightmare....try thinking before you speak, and oh yes they are big words coming from someone who means them, and yes i would love to see you exactly like you just described for saying that shit, suicide is the worst way to go, people who are depressed dont even know how to get happy and death isnt the way....they really dont know what they want....and you dont know whats best for anyone either and obviously not for yourself, so keep your simple-minded stupid comments to yourself

Lafiel

Its just miserable people who are so angst they cant get over the slightest shock to the system.

So they just constantly moan about it, and being human, we attactch a stupid clinical tag to it, just so it makes people feel better, and feel that once they have been diagnosed, they can be cured.

SO YOUR TELLING ME FEELING LIKE I WANT TO DIE 24/7 FOR NO APPARENT REASON MEANWILE I HAVE A PERFECT LIFE WHICH I SHOULD BE HAPPY ABOUT IS NORMAL?

SynC_187
[ edited for consistancy ]

Honestly, I think following a thread with someone talking about a friend doing that, you should be banned.

prozium
06-05-04, 17:21

Tell him to stop being pathetic and pull himself together.

maybe the case with pathetic teenagers...like 12-17...but not with older more mature people

Lafiel
06-05-04, 17:21
mods please close and delete this thread it was a mistake coming here for help on this matter

s0apy
06-05-04, 17:22

nonsense. clinical depression is a very real and debilitating disease. it can be caused by chemical imbalances amoung other things, and no amount of insistance that they "cheer up" will make any difference. you may just as well tell someone dieing of cancer to "pull himself together".

you, sir, have sunk needlessly low. tho not as low as one other poster on this thread.

Furion
06-05-04, 17:22
[ edited ]

Clownst0pper
06-05-04, 17:23
maybe the case with pathetic teenagers...like 12-17...but not with older more mature people

If there so mature, why dont they slap themselves together?

99% of diagnosed depressants, manic or otherwise, have no reason to be depressed, they just are..Which again, is stupidly annoying as they should basically get a life.

For those that have witnessed trauma, they shouldnt repress there emotions by being depressed, moving forward with your life, and having friends in the best natural rememdie u can ever have.

Get out more, get laid, stop with the drugs, they just make it worse.

o_O

Gestra
06-05-04, 17:24
[ edited ]

Gestra
06-05-04, 17:25
[ edited ]

Clownst0pper
06-05-04, 17:25
nonsense. clinical depression is a very real and debilitating disease. it can be caused by chemical imbalances amoung other things, and no amount of insistance that they "cheer up" will make any difference. you may just as well tell someone dieing of cancer to "pull himself together".

you, sir, have sunk needlessly low. tho not as low as one other poster on this thread.

I did psychology for 4 years, and investigation into depression for 2, and at the end of the day, like most things in life, will power and friendship is the best cure.

Drugs arent the answer to everything like doctors think, and the idea of chemical inbalances is as subject to ur views as saying transvestites are only here because they have a chemical inbalance which makes them feel like a woman/man.

Its part and parcel of society, living, your home life, your family.

If nothing is going good, isnt it about time u changed somthing, moaning and being sad wont do anything.

Yes im an optimist.

Freya
06-05-04, 17:26
closed for cleaning

Gotterdammerung
06-05-04, 17:40
closed as per starters request

Permanently

Some people should expect some very bad news, please check your pm's regularly.