PDA

View Full Version : win2000 > winxp for nc crash reduction

FBI
06-05-04, 07:38
Ok it's official after testing, i mean real testing.

As CoDi said there is a buffer overflow and/or memory leak making citycom
crash, especially with clan funds for example. I think this problem is only on
windows xp though after installing win2k on my same system that crashes
every transaction in nc with winxp.

On my win2k clean installation w/ directx7 :
I put 18 million in my clan account then took it out, I did this back and forth
10 times (180million worth in transactions to clan funds) without crashing once!
I did each transaction fairly fast too, as fast as i could move and click actually.

I rebooted and redid it once again... still worked as it should, no crashes.

On my fairely used but defragmented and optimized winxp installation with directx9.0b:
I got to putting 1 million in five times before the citycom seemed to crash
every time I made a transaction to or from the clan funds. Even after rebooting,
it did not help as the memory leaking and/or buffer overflow's still occur.

Point of this thread, I hope KK can look into why NC is much more stable on
win2k than on winxp. My win2k installation is outdated, you'd think there would
be more problems. Now DoY is supposed to bring alot of fixes because of
the full directx9 support...but if my win2k install works with nc better than
newer versions then it doesn't quite make sense.

Also, I didn't crash once yet running through zones and driving through them
on my hovertek. Win2k seems to handle the packets/memory/gpu better perhaps
with nc's engine(s)/netcode.

I hope others with win2k systems can add to these claims.

Parad0x -FBI

Dajuda
06-05-04, 07:42
I actually crashed more on my Win2k Install then on my WinXP install. I crashed maybe once a night w/XP and was crashing 10-15 times a night with 2K installed. Not doing anything particular, could be zoning, walking, fighting, never had any problems in the city com though.

retr0n
06-05-04, 07:43
Always said win2k > xp but could it be the DirectX since your were using 9.0b
on xp and 7.0 on 2k...

FBI
06-05-04, 08:06
Okay then we narrowed it to this then.

1) On win2k, memory leaks and buffer overflows using citycom don't occur
2) I'm using directx 7.0 in my win2k , maybe newer versions suck with current nc
3) On win2k, zone crashing/random crashes still happen just as much or as
frequent as winxp

That's about it, the city com problems are FACT that they don't bug around
as much on winxp or at all.

Parad0x -FBI

RayBob
06-05-04, 08:38
Okay then we narrowed it to this then...
2) I'm using directx 7.0 in my win2k , maybe newer versions suck with current ncTry upgrading to the latest directx version on your win2k box and see if you now start crashing. If so, then the culprit is directx incompatibility and not the OS.

phunqe
06-05-04, 09:23
I also think that NC do run more stable on win2k. However, I get a big FPS gain from using XP for some reason. I get like 10-20 FPS more in XP than in win2k.
If it wasn't for this I'd be running win2k. XP sucks in my opinion. Win2k is still more stable.

Original monk
06-05-04, 09:58
xp is to fancy for me ... i need sumthing that does its job and runs as stable as possible ... not to heavy and not with 1000 of little features like chatting and fancy mediaplayers and all ...

i use winxp pro on one of my desktops and it aint bad ok, but theres so much junk in it that i cant use anyway ... and when it comes to neocron it still crashes that litlebit more :/ tough thats what i found out after 2 years neocron on all kinds of systems :)

the suckiest os to run neocron on is witouth any doubt: WINME !

on my other desktop and also on the barebone and laptop i use win2K pro

wich is by far my favourite os :)

and we also use it here at work, im very satisfied about it :)

stable, no fancy's, yust does the job and no shit with registring etc when ya install it on 20 diffrent PC's ...

neocron runs like crazy on it and it give you a very stable network

so win2k all the way :)

CoDi
06-05-04, 10:23
1) On win2k, memory leaks and buffer overflows using citycom don't occur

Uhm, you'd change this to "On win2k, this kind of memory leaks does not cause the same heavy impact (= crash) as on XP". They of course occur, it doesn't matter for our own bugs on which OS they are. :rolleyes:

In my case, XP > 2k because I finally was able to reproduce this clan money bug on my (fairly new) XP machine. Dirk, who's in general responsible for the CityCom stuff, is working with 2k...

FBI
06-05-04, 11:13
Uhm, you'd change this to "On win2k, this kind of memory leaks does not cause the same heavy impact (= crash) as on XP". They of course occur, it doesn't matter for our own bugs on which OS they are. :rolleyes:

In my case, XP > 2k because I finally was able to reproduce this clan money bug on my (fairly new) XP machine. Dirk, who's in general responsible for the CityCom stuff, is working with 2k...
I knew that unrealistic claim would get you to reply ^___^

Of course the leaks will happen regardless of OS, but win2k handles it better
apparently.

Parad0x -FBI

Leebzie
06-05-04, 11:25
Ive found terrible problems with DX9 and NC, like this graphics issue :

DX7 = stable, reasonable FPS (30-40) , smooth play
DX9 = stable, damn high FPS , jumpy play :wtf:

The actual models move really nice and smooth, its just with DX9 , the world around me jumps. it stops doing this if I run 'dxdiag' and run the DX7 D3D test, and the problem wont occur again until the machine is rebooted.

(btw I use win XP)
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4800 Ultra, AMD Athlon 2500+ XP, Nforce 2 (MSI K7N2-Delta-ISLR) mobo, 1024MB Crucial PC3200 DDR.

WebShock
06-05-04, 11:38
i crash on both just as much.

Omnituens
06-05-04, 11:40
2k here with DX9.0b

i dont crash when using a city com. i only fatal at random times, like stood AFK in my apt OR on zoning.

RayBob
06-05-04, 11:47
...I finally was able to reproduce this clan money bug on my (fairly new) XP machine...Perhaps this is part of the reason why the bugs in NC have taken so long to fix? I remember MJS commenting on more than one occasion that the game runs very stable on his PC. If the game is not crashing for the KK staff then you are going to have a hard time solving the problem—to fix a bug you have to be able to reproduce it. I am sure you could ask people who crash regularly to send in their system specs so you could reproduce the PC on your end and aid in the testing.

Dajuda
06-05-04, 11:48
I have a XP box with a 5 week uptime .. and its used everyday. So 2K isn't anymore stable than XP Pro. Also, you don't have to install all the 'stuff' that comes with XP.

Parappa
06-05-04, 12:12
98se > all :)

Rarely crash nowdays. Never in citycoms. Mostly while selecting char or logging out :confused:

CoDi
06-05-04, 14:11
I am sure you could ask people who crash regularly to send in their system specs so you could reproduce the PC on your end and aid in the testing.

I'll make sure to be equipped with a camera then, every time I ask the management to buy some new components "just to test some stuff". ;)

Cruzbroker
06-05-04, 14:50
Uhh, How can I set window mode? I don't have a check button in Configure Neocron...

[ediit] wrong thread but what ever..

Ozambabbaz
06-05-04, 15:33
I'll make sure to be equipped with a camera then, every time I ask the management to buy some new components "just to test some stuff". ;)

disable their coffee automat 1 day prior, that always helps :)

FBI
06-05-04, 19:40
Or you could use vmware to run every version of windows or linux while inside of
any versions of windows :P

Don't Buy CoDi new components!! He can use this cheap software to do the same thing.!

harhar :P

Parad0x -FBI

jernau
07-05-04, 10:14
VMWare won't help tracking down problems with dodgy motherboards and video cards which are usually the worst offenders in compatability issues.

Scanner Darkly
07-05-04, 10:39
I think it is likely that these results are quite hardware dependent. I crash fairly regularly on a recent (unpatched) win XP install with dx9b although Ive never come across the money transefer city com crash.

On both my machines Ive found that win98SE (fully patched) with dx9 (not b) I had far fewer FREs and sometimes I would go a whole multi-hour session without FRE or even synch.

Makes me kinda wonder why I ever installed XP :confused:
I know its a slightly ancient OS, but still worth trying (dual boot?) if youre haveing lots of problems with running NC on XP

Peace,

SD