PDA

View Full Version : A more serious Neocron subject

Archeus
05-05-04, 22:57
Do Genreps make you sterile?

Think about it, no children. Death is rarely lethal. I suspect Reeza used it as population control.

spongeb0b
05-05-04, 23:01
:wtf: dude wtf are you on? i meen to think of that? really?

amfest
05-05-04, 23:01
It's just an unproven rumor . .but

FACT: GRs make you SPAM

Jest
05-05-04, 23:02
Yah the whole death/Generep thing makes writing stories difficult.
Haha I killed u, onoz I can just gr back! Which is why I ignore Generep completely when story writing. :lol:

But seriously, some children NPCs are much needed.

Shadow Dancer
05-05-04, 23:04
some children NPCs are much needed.

Just get some pluto players to act as npcs. :rolleyes:

:p

About the GR. Yea that does raise alot of questions. Isn't next in charge of your quickbelt, safesot, and it's safety? If that's the case, why do pkers get penalized? Aren't they helping NEXT by making more people pay for backpack retrieval. :D :D :D

Archeus
There is an NPC somewhere in NC that hints at this.

Aren't they helping NEXT by making more people pay for backpack retrieval.

Could be a plot by Diamond to keep them in their apartments.

Marx
Think about it, no children. Death is rarely lethal. I suspect Reeza used it as population control.
NCCA-162-0-114

The CityAdmin would like to remind citizens that rumors about President Reza, the ruling council, or the CityAdmin and its personnel are not to be spread. Anyone who spreads these rumors can be fined up to one million credits for spreading them; those that are found to have started a rumor can face death.

If you know anyone spreading, or making rumors which involve the aforementioned parties, please contact the NCPD immediately.

=P

Maloch Octavia
06-05-04, 00:40
Which is why I ignore Generep completely when story writing.

You silly boy, read NeMa, I can't recall what issue. I wrote an article about the Gene Replicators and how there had been changes made to them.

It had a tier system of citizenship, and the lowest class was removed from the GR Privileges system, and subject to death as normal.

There was also a comment about a database issue and how sometimes, Runners simply never rematerialised.

Good eh? Saved me lots of long-term hassle in story work.

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 00:48
Well afaik...im still fertile...anyone wanna help me prove this theory ??? lol

Maloch Octavia
06-05-04, 00:49
Spongey not doing his job?

Wait 'til he hears this.

*Runs off screaming that Spongey has a dead weewee*

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 00:50
Spongey not doing his job?

Wait 'til he hears this.

*Runs off screaming that Spongey has a dead weewee*

lol his willy is perfectly lovely. and yes we are both fertile...as we found out but thats another story.. not to be told :p

naimex
06-05-04, 00:52
Well afaik...im still fertile...anyone wanna help me prove this theory ??? lol

Shu, hun, you know, I´m always ready for an all-nighter ;)

Shadow Dancer
06-05-04, 00:53
IF the GR destroys you, then creates a clone at the other side, does that mean you can just use half the process to make multiple clones of someone?

Scikar
06-05-04, 00:57
IF the GR destroys you, then creates a clone at the other side, does that mean you can just use half the process to make multiple clones of someone?
I always took that to mean that the process of extracting your memory and your thoughts etc. killed the body your 'mind' was in, and your 'mind' was somehow then transferred to the new body. So cloning yourself would basically create a lot of bodies, but there can only be one mind.

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 01:04
I always took that to mean that the process of extracting your memory and your thoughts etc. killed the body your 'mind' was in, and your 'mind' was somehow then transferred to the new body. So cloning yourself would basically create a lot of bodies, but there can only be one mind.

this is postapocolyptic (sp?) if they can implant you with well imps...and transfer your mind, and create a new body, why cant they create/clone a new mind?

Maloch Octavia
06-05-04, 01:05
Technically it's a crappily thought out process, for the simple fact you don't lose Exp. If you lost Exp on death, then it would be easily worked as the GR is simply replicating a version closer to the 'You' that was stored the last time you used a GR or GoGo.

However, a better system would be like Eve Online, whereby you need to get Insurance for your body (Ship in Eve). The Insurance would cover you to be recreated at that level, and a few other things, which I can't be arsed to work out.

Would be interesting, but highly despised.

manderf
06-05-04, 01:07
but mommy i thought the stork brought me!

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 01:08
but mommy i thought the stork brought me!

alll i have to say to that is..EWWWWW WRINKLE BALLS....GROSS

Shadow Dancer
06-05-04, 01:10

So I can pay a hot woman to clone a bunch of mindless bodies for me?

leet

Scikar
06-05-04, 01:15
this is postapocolyptic (sp?) if they can implant you with well imps...and transfer your mind, and create a new body, why cant they create/clone a new mind?

I meant something along the lines of, the act of reading someone's mind destroys the mind in the process, and it's far too much data to be stored somewhere. So when someone is cloned, the GR 'reads their mind' and as it does, it transfers it to their clone. The process destroys the original mind, killing the original body, and imprinting the mind into the new body. At least, that's just how I explained it in my head. :)

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 01:16
I meant something along the lines of, the act of reading someone's mind destroys the mind in the process, and it's far too much data to be stored somewhere. So when someone is cloned, the GR 'reads their mind' and as it does, it transfers it to their clone. The process destroys the original mind, killing the original body, and imprinting the mind into the new body. At least, that's just how I explained it in my head. :)
well if it "reads" the mind, then it has the data right? therefore it can blueprint it, because it has a base to work from...correct me if im wrong...

Scikar
06-05-04, 01:37
well if it "reads" the mind, then it has the data right? therefore it can blueprint it, because it has a base to work from...correct me if im wrong...
I can't think of a better way to explain it, but imagine it as two huge water tanks connected to each other by a pipe, with a control centre along the pipe in between them. One tank is full to the top (the active mind) and the other is empty (the clone). The controller can move water from one to the other, but it doesn't have enough room to actually store it.

Or if you want to look at it another way, imagine the GR system can't actually 'read' the mind as such, only move it around. A way of understanding this is the way sounds are sampled. In case you don't know, I'll give a brief explanation, basically an analogue signal from a microphone is continuous, i.e. you have a value at any point in time for the position of the sound wave and it can be anywhere between say 1 and -1. Whereas a digital signal can only be 1 or 0.

When you save a sound on a computer as a .wav file or .mp3 or whatever, it is sampled, which means that every so often the computer checks what the position of the wave is and records it. So the actual wave is a smooth curve, but the data saved on the computer is in 'steps'. Anything that happens in between the steps is averaged out, so the computer basically saves it as a dotted line and then plays join the dots when it plays it. Any fine detail stuff which happens between samples is lost. This is usually high frequencies so I guess that's why low quality sound files sound kind of muted. The point is, the computer can't actually recreate the exact same sound. It can make a sound which is very very similar, but not completely identical.

Now if you imagine the mind is the same, the GR can't 'save' the data of the mind because it is too detailed.

Hope that helps explain how I understand it. :)

Archeus
06-05-04, 10:33

There was a story one time in 2000ad. Can't remember the name but the hero in it was called "Tamara Knight". They had a teleporter system. However what it did was drop your body into a vat of acid and clone a new 'you' at the new location.

It is likely that the GR's are built to purposely destroy the host body so as to stop people creating an army of themselves. Or it could be that each person has a single quantum state that allows them exist in this current universe and creating more then one would cause the current universe to collapse in on itself.

Leebzie
06-05-04, 10:47
Technically, you did die. that person who just got eaten up by hot plasma really did die, and they are dead. Another copy of your mind is written into a new body, and that version of you can remember dying etc and continues with 'life' (despite the fact most of it, they never lived themselves), but for the clone of you that died, life is over.

Its very difficult to determine what a 'mind' is... considering you could say it was just a program your mind ran (very advanced, dynamic program), we could probably talk about it forever and never get anywhere (which is why ive made a forum post about it :angel: )

GR's are death machines, unless they move your physical matter to another location. Like with that vat of acid thing, the body destroyed dies, experiences death, and ceases to exist. A new, separate entity is created, with your memories. that means you still died, and you now cease to exist. "You are dead" Then of course this starts up questions like 'what is living anyway' if we're having trouble determining 'death'

Jeros82
06-05-04, 11:07
and yes we are both fertile...as we found out

Have you been pregnant ??? :eek:

Candaman
06-05-04, 11:16
i think they should bug the gr's and it only destroys and make running more fun :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Original monk
06-05-04, 11:44
@archeus: there is a possibility that they make you sterile yes, altough this isnt proved scientifically yet ...

But im especially scared of all the drugs ...
ok: beast give you a great boost for 10 min's: but after that ?
and destrosol: cant be that it doesnt messes with youre little soldiers ..
same as with x-strong: its good for the lady's, but there isnt any Y-strong yet :/

may this be a warning for all drugging PE's and not to forget them destrosolpopping spy's !

@ darknessfairy: i aint responding cause it wil get taken to serieus or to grose (+ i dont wonna brag and all :) )

darknessfairy
06-05-04, 11:53
@ darknessfairy: i aint responding cause it wil get taken to serieus or to grose (+ i dont wonna brag and all :) )
eh? what did i say? lolol

Original monk
06-05-04, 12:07
eh? what did i say? lolol

nm fairy :) nothing important :)

enjoy playing

winnoc
06-05-04, 12:44
Ther ecan be only one mind?

Depends on what your beliefs are, if you believe in a "soul" then yes, there can be only one.
However if you believe the mind is made up of the way atoms are organised, and the chemical ballances inside the brain , then yes, you could have clonse that "are" you.

Personaly i think that a GR'ed duplicate differs in no way from your original self.

Would be nice if we had a cult inside crahn that believes GR'ing to be a foul deed, and only rely on rezzing :-)

MkVenner
06-05-04, 12:47
there must be multiple "channels" on each GR, coz during fighting etc 20+ people use a GR at the same time. No imagine each person is a glass of water, now pour each of those glasses into a tank and the question is can those atoms in the jug ever be pored out in the exact same configuration and arrangement?

Oh yeah and iirc there was a theory that no 2 EXACTLY the same things can exist, some thing to do with quantum and temporal stuff, 2 sheets of paper, no matter how exactly the same, are different on the atomic lvl, the minds the exact same couildnt be or the memories/skills etc wouldnt exist...

tho i could be COMPLETLY wrong on that one

Kasumi
06-05-04, 12:55
I dont like genreplicators.. Theyshould be removed.. I dont like thinking my avatar is *destroyed* than replicated... It feels akward.. :(

Siygess
06-05-04, 13:45
So basically Gene Reps are just Suicide Booths?

Bender: "Listen, buddy, I'm in a hurry here. Let's try for a twofer. Hehe."
Suicide Booth: "Please select mode of death. Quick and painless or slow and horrible."
Fry: "Yeah, I'd like to place a collect call?"
Suicide Booth: "You have selected slow and horrible."
Bender: "Great choice!"
Suicide Booth: "You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop'n'Drop. America's favorite suicide booth since 2008."

*ahem*

Im more worried about the long term effects of LoM pills - ever wondered how all those people ended up in the Bump Asylum? :D

Archeus
06-05-04, 15:03
Im more worried about the long term effects of LoM pills - ever wondered how all those people ended up in the Bump Asylum? :D

I always thought Bump was a front for more shady dealings. The fact TS are hidden there as well as an MB rep and it is a secret entrance to jailhouse.