PDA

View Full Version : Of Plasma Weapons and PP1/P3 Border

StryfeX
05-05-04, 05:24
Was having a good time fighting at the PP1/P3 border when one of my CS bolts went astray and hit the resident guard. Needless to say, he went apeshit on my ass and I got dropped like a bad habit. Now, why is it the plasma is the one and only aimed projectile in the game that can damage things it's not aimed directly at?

I'm just kinda wondering what the reasoning behind it is. Kinda naff.

--Stryfe

Geth
05-05-04, 05:49
Oh come on, the CS is one of the BEST PVP directfire* weapons. Its the sheer rate of fire it can pull off, coupled with a slow (compared to gatling weapons) drop is stamina. It has to have something to balence the great strengths it has.

*I say directfire because of the crazy APU spells that barely need aiming. :wtf:

iainy13
05-05-04, 05:52
i think he is wondering why its the only weapon like that. not saying that the cs is bad and needs boosting or anything. i would like to know this aswell.

Epsilon 5
05-05-04, 06:04
while it sucks in some aspects .. it actually boosts the damage at close range from plasma weapons

however i did remember attacking a tmauler with my crahn tank's CS and hitting a DOY bot O.O whoops.

StryfeX
05-05-04, 06:06
Oh come on, the CS is one of the BEST PVP directfire* weapons. Its the sheer rate of fire it can pull off, coupled with a slow (compared to gatling weapons) drop is stamina. It has to have something to balence the great strengths it has.

*I say directfire because of the crazy APU spells that barely need aiming. :wtf:Pfft. It's all plasma weapons, not just the CS. Plasma rifles and plasma pistols are affected, too. And you can't say that the EPR is decent, either. At least not in high level PvP.

--Stryfe

Geth
05-05-04, 06:12
i think he is wondering why its the only weapon like that. not saying that the cs is bad and needs boosting or anything. i would like to know this aswell.

Oh okay, though I still think Plama weapons have special limits beyond the usual weapon classes:

Gatling: good damage, high ROF, poor stamina use, fair range
Single Shot Low Tech: high damage, low ROF, poor stamina use, super long range
Single Shot High Tech: high damage, low ROF, good stamina use, long range
Rays/Flamers: high damage, fair ROF, good stamina use, bad range(if you want full damage).
Multi shot High Tech: good damage, High ROF, good stamina use, good range*
* as we all know weapons like multishot laser and plasma don't hit with all their shots unless at stupidly close range. Plasma shoots ever faster then laser, so it makes sense that they deviate shots that much more.

If not for the deviation of their shots, mutishot high tech weapons would be the only weapons used by anyone. Which for Tanks and CS is already true. ;)

eLcHi
05-05-04, 12:17
Now, why is it the plasma is the one and only aimed projectile in the game that can damage things it's not aimed directly at?

Well, thatīs another advantage isnīt it ?

For killing stealthers for example ... without Plasma-Weapons you only chance is AOE ... :wtf:

Varaem
05-05-04, 13:36
Oh okay, though I still think Plama weapons have special limits beyond the usual weapon classes:

Gatling: good damage, high ROF, poor stamina use, fair range
Single Shot Low Tech: high damage, low ROF, poor stamina use, super long range
Single Shot High Tech: high damage, low ROF, good stamina use, long range
Rays/Flamers: high damage, fair ROF, good stamina use, bad range(if you want full damage).
Multi shot High Tech: good damage, High ROF, good stamina use, good range*
* as we all know weapons like multishot laser and plasma don't hit with all their shots unless at stupidly close range. Plasma shoots ever faster then laser, so it makes sense that they deviate shots that much more.

If not for the deviation of their shots, mutishot high tech weapons would be the only weapons used by anyone. Which for Tanks and CS is already true. ;)

Not quite. Single Shot Low Tech: High Damage, medium RoF, good stamina use, super SHORT range. Only single shot low tech gun I can think of are nail guns and the ... colt... wyatt earp type guns. Oh, and lazar rifle/street model rifle. No, sniper rifles are not single shot low tech. Not including AoE.
You also forgot multi shot lowtech. :-P

Actually this entire things is horribly wrong because you can't classify the weapons in neocron with those overly broad weapon classes. There's differences between 2 shot, 3 shot and 4 shot burstweapons. There's a big difference in how rayguns work between rifles, pistols and cannons. Some weapons do non-locational damage while others do locational. Some hit indirectly. Some cause AoE damage.

The reason tanks use CS isn't because its an uber "multi shot high tech gun", but because it's the only viable direct damage weapon a tank has. It's also tl 105 so its insanely easy to use and cap damage. Aiming never caps and rof is hard on any gun, so I won't go there. There simply isn't an alternative to the CS. Ravager does less damage and is higher TL. Devourer is too short range and was nerfed by increasing the DoT length. That leaves... Gatlin Cannons. But those don't have the raw power (in TL) to do as much damage as a CS.
An example for APUs would be if you removed the spell fire apoc. Of course all APUs would use holy light. Nothing is quite as good. That's probably the case now actually.

Geth
05-05-04, 17:11
I realise now that I screwed up the "low tech single shot" part. I was thinking of sniper rifles (which need TEC skill, I know) and made it all confusing. As for nailguns and AOF, well I totally forgot about them. :eek:

Oh and gatling was ment to cover "multishot low tech", I don't know why I only put gatling as the title. *shrug*