PDA

View Full Version : Reputation!

cRazy2003
04-05-04, 18:14
i might of missed this, cos im slow, but, OUR REPUTATION HAS GONE, AND I WAS ON A LONG WINDING F00KING ROAD, anyways wheres it gone?

naimex
04-05-04, 18:16
reputation has been deactivated, because of severe abuse of it, and it led to serious mental breakdowns.

and it was removed quite some time ago, there is a more or less official word in a thread, and i can´t remember if Niddy posted a comment on it, in my sligtly old thread "Reputation :" which i wrote as a guide to reputation, since most people seemed to use it to give bad rep if they disagree and not if its a bad post.

hivemind
04-05-04, 18:16
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=97484

Forget My Name
04-05-04, 18:23
Reputation is nothing more than just a post count.

Whos dick is bigger... Remove them both permenantly.

IceHawk2684
04-05-04, 18:24
rep? hmmm... im a nib PKer is that a good rep? i drop 85/70 spies ... 56/60 tanks... 80/65 APU's... yeah.... like i said i drop nibs... i must have a horrible rep as a nib PKr. forgive me. so i have sinned. *cries* :( :(

Shadow Dancer
04-05-04, 18:26
I agree with Forget that I cancelled, I mean Forget my Name, I think that post count should be removed too.

<3 FMN :p

Forget My Name
04-05-04, 18:33
Sorry if i was harsh...

I ment, why have post counts? Do the Counter Strike ego players here have enough EGO as it is?

I thought forums was a plave to exchange ideas, not get a larger number somewhere on your computer screen than anyone else.

You dont need a number to give you reputation... make one on your own, like reputation is supposed to be made.

redjacket
04-05-04, 18:37
Sorry if i was harsh...

I ment, why have post counts? Do the Counter Strike ego players here have enough EGO as it is?

I thought forums was a plave to exchange ideas, not get a larger number somewhere on your computer screen than anyone else.

You dont need a number to give you reputation... make one on your own, like reputation is supposed to be made.
Post count is great... as it points out said people so you can freely ignore anything they have to say as it generally will involve things being done to your mother and/or sister... And it gives some people something to strive for... Also, you can never have enough numbers displayed at any one place in time... watchs, phones, and my shirt just don't have enough numbers... or stripes... mmm... chicken... anyhoo...

There are CS players here? I thought there was a law that you could only play one broke-ass game at a time...

Shadow Dancer
04-05-04, 18:40
Nah FMN you weren't harsh, I agreed with you 100%.

I really do wish post counts were gone.

Original monk
04-05-04, 18:41
i wanted to give you bad rep for spamming Crazy, but i wont cause you have The Shatner in youre siggy and we all know he's the WIN !

:P

edit: i like those reputation thingies, only con is that you dont see who give's you reputation and not everyone posts he's name with it .. so ya got some weird reactions sumtimes, mostly of people that didnt particulary liked youre idea's ..

i had it disabled anyway :)
i only got 1 good rep and thats cause i asked for one :/ so it wasnt really usefull to me anyway :P all those red dots :P

Forget My Name
04-05-04, 18:43
Post count is great... as it points out said people so you can freely ignore anything they have to say as it generally will involve things being done to your mother and/or sister... And it gives some people something to strive for... Also, you can never have enough numbers displayed at any one place in time... watchs, phones, and my shirt just don't have enough numbers... or stripes... mmm... chicken... anyhoo...

There are CS players here? I thought there was a law that you could only play one broke-ass game at a time...

Wow, redjacket.... I love you :)

What does reputation do for you on teh internet? It isnt real reputation that you gain in real life from people. What does it do, seriously? You are sitting behind a computer screen and you have a few strangers who wouldnt lend you 5 bucks for food tell you that you are cool....

wow.... put some clothes on besides underwear and get outside. Go to a bar, a club, a wedding and get some real reputation.... :) :) :)

Drake6k
04-05-04, 18:44
It was nice cause I could flame everyone I didnt like :D

Original monk
04-05-04, 18:47

thats why they disabled it Crazy, look @ the quote above ..

edit: shadowdancer, i wouldnt mind postcount being hidden, but ya gotta get somekind of small mark like a star that you posted over a 100 posts :) and only over a 100 posts, yust so you know youre talking to a newcommer or not :) could be handy if you wonna advise sumthing or the opposite: so you dont waste youre time arguing with a nib that posts for the first time :)
(wich doesnt imply's the person is a nib ingame ffcourse, but arguing a total nib is pointless ya see :P )

Forget My Name
04-05-04, 18:47

oh... you know, I didnt now that.... seriously didnt think about that one...

Bring it back!!!

Lexxuk
04-05-04, 18:57
thats why they disabled it Crazy, look @ the quote ..

--. --- - -.-. .... .-
- .... . .-. .
---... -....- .--.

did I miss something there?

"gotcha tha there os6p" is what ur sig says dude O_o

Archeus
04-05-04, 19:14
Actually it says..

GOTCHA THERE :-P

or if could of said.

GOT CHAT HERE :-p

Benjie
04-05-04, 19:23
Whos dick is bigger...
Putting postcount aside, mine.

tbh, I kinda miss the reputation feature. I always signed my ones.

Lexxuk
04-05-04, 19:44
Actually it says..

GOTCHA THERE :-P

or if could of said.

GOT CHAT HERE :-p

u sure? coz i remember I went to that binary thingy, n then, to a morse code page, and did it by hand, then decipherd the morse :angel:

Archeus
04-05-04, 20:09
http://www.scphillips.com/morse/index.html

Pick the CGI one.

Original monk
04-05-04, 20:21
u sure? coz i remember I went to that binary thingy, n then, to a morse code page, and did it by hand, then decipherd the morse :angel:

yes lexxuk :) it said gotcha there cause you been true all the trouble (or fun) of decyphering it :P unless you used a program to do so ffcourse :)

(and i couldnt make it any longer or my sig would of been to big :) )

Lexxuk
04-05-04, 20:34
*huff* the cgi version is totally wrong, I did it the old fashioned way :p

Carinth
05-05-04, 00:30
I liked the rep system, it was working very well for me. The point is to give your opinion on a post. If you disagree strongly with what they post, you give them neg rep. If you agree, give them positive rep. It's much better then filling the thread with spam. If you don't have anything to add more then "Me too" or "I agree", why should you hafta make a post. The rep system gave you a way to show support to people you agree with.

I was up to 49 : ( All positive rep except for one red and one grey.

QuantumDelta
05-05-04, 01:43
I liked the rep system, it was working very well for me. The point is to give your opinion on a post. If you disagree strongly with what they post, you give them neg rep. If you agree, give them positive rep. It's much better then filling the thread with spam. If you don't have anything to add more then "Me too" or "I agree", why should you hafta make a post. The rep system gave you a way to show support to people you agree with.

I was up to 49 : ( All positive rep except for one red and one grey.
We don't often agree, but that doesn't mean I think you're a bad poster, eh?

I personally would prefer both systems removed since they are worthless, they don't add anything to the forum.

Even join date is something I think about asking to be removed when I talk about this subject, simply because people will use it to attack others seniority when;
These "newbies" might have played the game for years.
These "newbies" might have made a new account.
These "newbies" might have been on a leave of absense for a long period of time (eg; long enough that they didn't get on the new forums from beta).

etc.

Rating system works basically as "You my friend....kekekekeke!"

I know this, because, I got rated both negatively and positively even without me having posted, at all, since the hack was active.
I hadn't posted for over a month, for cryin out loud.

On a forum such as this, a rating system would never work anyway, I suspect the mods realised this;
why?
"Nerf teh ubar wepan ov teh weak!!!!11oneone"
"stfu!"
"I r8 u bad!"
"oh? I r8 U! bad!"

etc ¬.¬
Okay, I'm paraphrasing but I wouldn't be suprised if reactions close to that went on.

Leave Rep out.
Remove Post count.
Remove Join Date.

== Happy.

StryfeX
05-05-04, 01:48
We don't often agree, but that doesn't mean I think you're a bad poster, eh?

I personally would prefer both systems removed since they are worthless, they don't add anything to the forum.

Even join date is something I think about asking to be removed when I talk about this subject, simply because people will use it to attack others seniority when;
These "newbies" might have played the game for years.
These "newbies" might have made a new account.
These "newbies" might have been on a leave of absense for a long period of time (eg; long enough that they didn't get on the new forums from beta).

etc.

Rating system works basically as "You my friend....kekekekeke!"

I know this, because, I got rated both negatively and positively even without me having posted, at all, since the hack was active.
I hadn't posted for over a month, for cryin out loud.

On a forum such as this, a rating system would never work anyway, I suspect the mods realised this;
why?
"Nerf teh ubar wepan ov teh weak!!!!11oneone"
"stfu!"
"I r8 u bad!"
"oh? I r8 U! bad!"

etc ¬.¬
Okay, I'm paraphrasing but I wouldn't be suprised if reactions close to that went on.

Leave Rep out.
Remove Post count.
Remove Join Date.

== Happy.I don't think that we should remover post count and join date completely, just make them not show up in the normal course of posting things. Make it so that you have to go to the user's profile to see it.

--Stryfe

:lol:

QuantumDelta
05-05-04, 01:52
Well I don't mind that :)
It doesn't really need to be on show, though, if there were an option to hide my post count, I would.
Simply because I don't want people to see it and then make a prejudgement on me. (hey post counts are an egocentric topic right?) --

Don't mind it being in profile so long as it's not on display out here.

Dribble Joy
05-05-04, 02:01
Personnally I can't be less bothered about the post count or join date showing, though an option to hide it and/or keep it in user profile sounds good.

The rep system leads itself open to too much abuse though, aside from th obvious verbal abuse it could be used for, people can see your rep.
You may be the most level headed person who never offends anyone, but have ideas that some people don't like, suddenly you are branded a disliked and untrustworthy person.

Like the self cast shileds theory, many people oppose it, but many people are idiots (onoz? you gonna gimme bad rep for that comment?), same with many other aspects of forum life.

either remove it, or allow the posters name to be shown and possibly along everyone to view the reps made against anyone.

Organics
05-05-04, 15:42
Never minded post counts, in a decently moderated forum it's good.

As for the rep thing, maybe it should have been done so that you HAD to sign your name, as in it automatically did it. Then people could have reported abusive stuff.

But then, that'd have created alot of extra work for the mods. So nah, not worth it really. If people could have used it without acting like morons, it would have been an interesting addition :)

Carinth
05-05-04, 18:49
I suppose we needed an explanation of exactly what it was to be used for. Is it supposed to be a quality report? ie You give good/bad rep dependin on how eloquent/well constructed a person's post is. Or is it based on content? ie If you agree with the idea of a post you give them good rep.
I thought it was content : ) I was givin rep when they posted ideas I agree with, and most of the rep I got was the same, for posts people agreed with.

I like the idea of auto adding the name of the ppl who give you rep, then you're accountable for rep you give or take. Overall I liked the rep system as a possible way we could police ourselves. People who consistantly spam/flame/are not constructive would end up with bad rep, wherease the more positive forum members would be boosted up.

amfest
05-05-04, 22:55
I suppose we needed an explanation of exactly what it was to be used for. Is it supposed to be a quality report? ie You give good/bad rep dependin on how eloquent/well constructed a person's post is. Or is it based on content? ie If you agree with the idea of a post you give them good rep.
I thought it was content : ) I was givin rep when they posted ideas I agree with, and most of the rep I got was the same, for posts people agreed with.

I like the idea of auto adding the name of the ppl who give you rep, then you're accountable for rep you give or take. Overall I liked the rep system as a possible way we could police ourselves. People who consistantly spam/flame/are not constructive would end up with bad rep, wherease the more positive forum members would be boosted up.
Carinth i don't think it should of been used that way. If they were posting their opinions in a sound way there is no reason to give them bad rep even if you "don't" agree with it but if they are being abusive and overly rude then that's a call for bad rep. Now if they post an idea or state something you strongly agree with or do something awesome then that's a sign for good rep. Anything else you dont' need to give them anything. Good rep for nice ideas ..good arguments with facts backing it. Bad rep for personal attacks, trolling and the links. Possiblily even going way off topic like hijacking a thread. if the system was used like that and everyone did it that way then those with bad reps you'd know they are the particular trouble makers who don't contribute anything sound and such. But in general people aren't mature enough to use the system for that.

I agree on the point of post count and join date. I get really sick of seeing people automatically attack someone who posts just cause they joined the forum a month ago or something even though they may have been playing since beta but never bothered to post on the forums. Same goes for post count. Some people don't contribute or feel the need to post unless they really have something constructive enough to say.

Marx
05-05-04, 22:57
I have to say, the messages left for me via the reputation system proved to be some of the most interesting, and hilarious things I've seen on these forums.

Kal
05-05-04, 23:04
i loved the rep system, it brought out the 'best' :rolleyes: in people