PDA

View Full Version : Quality of tools, does it matter ?

olavski
03-05-04, 19:04
A cryton bought tool is i think around 73% (goor or better), i've seen a 76% also but compared to the ones you can buy at Yo's, which are much cheaper, is around 20%, shabby.

So my question is, does the quality of the tool influence the item be repaired/constructed ?

Original monk
03-05-04, 19:08
A cryton bought tool is i think around 73% (goor or better), i've seen a 76% also but compared to the ones you can buy at Yo's, which are much cheaper, is around 20%, shabby.

So my question is, does the quality of the tool influence the item be repaired/constructed ?

to my knowledge it doesnt do anything particular ..

not that you get more slots on a crytonbought tool or anything :)

think it also doesnt influence the quality you build

dont think it makes any diffrence no :)

n3m
03-05-04, 19:17
no you noob

j/k :p

It does matter, youll have more money for other stuff. But it doesnt matter for the stuff you construct/repair or research.
At least thats what every constructor/resser/repairer thinks in nc :p

Gestra
03-05-04, 19:30
Or even get one of the nice 120/120 artifact quaility tools that float about on some of the servers.

You would think it makes a difference, seems it doesn't though.

massic
03-05-04, 19:41
I've never noticed a difference quality of the cst/res tools.

From what I've heard tools used to degrade in quality with each use but later that feature was removed on all but the implant tools. So the condition of the tool has no affect on the outcome of the item. but there's a lot of superstitious tradeskillers that try anything to get an edge.

I prefer the 23% ones since they only cost a fraction of the price.

Strych9
03-05-04, 19:56
Makes no difference.

olavski
03-05-04, 20:00
ok, well it's time to break some stuff to try it out :D

Read some stuff in the skills guide. also says it should'nt make a difference but it's the author's guess, thats why i asked.

but Thanks for the answers.

Strych9
03-05-04, 20:04
Let us know how it goes... but my response wasnt a guess. ;)

Vryce
03-05-04, 21:55
[QUOTE=olavski]ok, well it's time to break some stuff to try it out :D QUOTE]

It doesn't seem to matter, tho I've heard that you may use more "grease" when constructing.
My TL150 construction tool is a shabby (21%) old, beatup piece of junk, but it turns out 5-slot weapons from time to time. :D

olavski
03-05-04, 21:59
Yes, i noticed. thx

Same seems to work for the repair tool.

:)

jernau
04-05-04, 22:45
Grease usage is tied to TL. Tool has no effect.

If it's possible to damage/break tools then that would be the only difference. I'm not sure on this one - some people have told me they have broken tools but I've had the same CST and RES tools for well over a year and they aren't broken yet.

slaughteruall
04-05-04, 22:51
If it's possible to damage/break tools then that would be the only difference. I'm not sure on this one - some people have told me they have broken tools but I've had the same CST and RES tools for well over a year and they aren't broken yet.

AFAIK only remote implant tools can break (it might even just be the TL 150 remote). I've also had the same Ress/Repp/CST/Remote Repp for over 2 years no lose in quality yet.

Slaughter

jernau
04-05-04, 22:52
I've also had the same Ress/Repp/CST/Remote Repp for over 2 years no lose in quality yet.

Slaughter
Retail isn't quite 2 years old yet ;). Feels like it sometimes though.

slaughteruall
04-05-04, 22:55
Retail isn't quite 2 years old yet ;). Feels like it sometimes though.

Damn your right i bought it dec 2002 was thinking dec 2001.

Slaughter

Carinth
05-05-04, 00:13
It's been a while since I was an active researcher, but at the time tool quality modified your failure rate. Without touching my setup my failure rate skyrocketed when I tried using a poor quality tool. It went back to normal with my better quality tool. That was my experience at least, this has been a hot topic for tradeskillers, with many crazy ideas people swear are true.

jernau
05-05-04, 00:16
I did test failures and tools once ages ago and couldn't see any diference. It is a random function though so it's impossible to say for sure. My resser uses a 23% Shabby tool though and never fails at >2x TL.

Agent L
05-05-04, 18:07
Remote Implanting tools have durability which degrades at every "shoot", bug which makes impossible to repair it to more than 47%, and they can be dropped on death.
So game does not consider them as "tools" like res, more like weapons, like daggers. But it is a weapon that canoot be fired without proper target, so I guess nothing else in the game follows same rules : D

Kal
05-05-04, 23:10
i heard that the process was faster with a higher quality tool but i've never tested it

jernau
05-05-04, 23:17
i heard that the process was faster with a higher quality tool but i've never tested it218 RES - Punisher BPs - 66seconds on any tool.

It's been that for at least 20 levels and doesn't change when buffed so I'm sure it gets no lower.

Darken
05-05-04, 23:23
hm some gm told me quality matters for speed ^^

jernau
05-05-04, 23:35
hm some gm told me quality matters for speed ^^
If someone told you that they were wrong, GM or not.

Thanatos
06-05-04, 18:43
The quality on tools doesn't do anything. It merely exists because the game automatically adds a quality to pretty much every item.

Carinth
06-05-04, 19:00
Booo, we don't want a real answer. Coming up with random myths and guesses is part of the fun of Neocron! It's great when you get arguments based soly on "somthing someone told me" or "I saw someone do this" or the best is "I swear this happened to me!" Neocron is full of confusing/mysterious systems which we've built up superstitions and myths about. The absolute best one is how to improve your chance at slots.

:D

Strych9
06-05-04, 19:05
Booo, we don't want a real answer. Coming up with random myths and guesses is part of the fun of Neocron! It's great when you get arguments based soly on "somthing someone told me" or "I saw someone do this" or the best is "I swear this happened to me!" Neocron is full of confusing/mysterious systems which we've built up superstitions and myths about. The absolute best one is how to improve your chance at slots.

:DAmen brother. Tons of myths about that.

I will say my most satisfying moment in Neo so far was the work I did on the construction formula way back when. That was good fun.

Now that it is know, that does take SOME of the fun out of it I think. Personally... I dont miss the mystery behind something that I invested so much time in (and still do) but I can see how someone might want it to be a mystery.

And frankly, if you look in game at the trade chat- to many it still is a mystery. So no harm, no foul. :)

Brammers
06-05-04, 19:16

I've noticed as a researcher and constructor you get more failures with the lower quality tools. As for quality, it's the same.

Thanatos
06-05-04, 19:19
Booo, we don't want a real answer. Coming up with random myths and guesses is part of the fun of Neocron!

Right, sorry I forgot that :p

Strych9
06-05-04, 19:59
Right, sorry I forgot that :pYou promised before that you would keep the scoop on Repair a secret... so you will always have that. ;)