PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] Medic! Icons

Scikar
03-05-04, 17:29
Just a simple idea which I think would help team work a lot. In games such as RTCW, if you call for a medic, any medics nearby see a floating red cross above your head, telling them that you need their attention.

I think the same idea could be applied in NC. You press say B for a request for heal, and N for a request for shelter/deflector. The icons would appear above the team arrows that we already get.

The reason I ask this, is because for one, it takes some of the load off a PPU, and it's much easier than stopping to type s/d. The main way it's achieved currently is either to have a very high PPU:non-PPU ratio in your team, so the PPUs are only watching one or two people for buffs, or you're lucky enough to have a near psychic PPU. That, or you have voice comms, with people you are familiar with.

But when you meet some random PPU from a friendly faction out in the wastes, you don't have the luxury of voice comms. And some clans simply can't get a server to host. So I think this idea would help balance that somewhat, make life a little less stressful on PPUs, yet it doesn't affect game balance.

Thoughts?

Marx
03-05-04, 17:31
Make Dex Based First Aid Skill!

Shadow Dancer
03-05-04, 19:41
Make Dex Based First Aid Skill!

Excellent idea. It makes sense. PSI can't be the only method of healing in the future.

Scikar, I like your idea. I vote yes.

msdong
03-05-04, 20:12
na, its no good idea. its like walking around in PP shouting i like to get killed.

okok, the idea isnt that bad, but there need to be more them a simple medic call. it would help if it ws possible to use something like /l "I need a medic !" for zone and faction. then you could easy use the sms funktion of the game.

dex based ? use implant for that ... or just rename it to medic

Marx
03-05-04, 20:35
dex based ? use implant for that ... or just rename it to medic
I'd say there's a drastic difference between relying on nanites to stick something into a person and trying to repair damage done to a person.

Cruzbroker
03-05-04, 20:45
Yes, nice idea.
Those who didn't get it: The icon would only show to people in the same team..

amfest
03-05-04, 21:41
I'd say there's a drastic difference between relying on nanites to stick something into a person and trying to repair damage done to a person.
Even so you'd still call them doctors. There are different fields of medical study. This is a game so we have to generalize alot in subskills. Just because someone is good with a shotgun doesn't mean he'd be good with a sniper rifle. But in this game it works that way .. just pump more into the skill. I wouldn't see a problem with implant changing to a medic sorta title and including a healing function <-- that actually gives you okay xp.

that aside I'd like some icons or as was said text commands with maybe ingame voices thrown in. Although the icons would most likely be easiest. I'm at odds about the only team or clan being able to see it. If you're on the field and you yell for a medic .. anyone will be able to hear you .. enemy or ally

Clownst0pper
03-05-04, 21:50
Works brilliant in RTCW- ET.

Love it.

5 stars

FBI
03-05-04, 21:59
F*cking awesome idea... Finally good ideas.

5 stars

Parad0x -FBI

Marx
03-05-04, 23:30
Even so you'd still call them doctors.Naw, for the same reason you don't really call plastic surgeons 'doctors'.

;)

amfest
03-05-04, 23:46
Naw, for the same reason you don't really call plastic surgeons 'doctors'.

;)
umm i could be wrong . but doesn't one have to be knowledgable in the basic field to even do that sorta thing. Accidents do occur :p so they'd have to have some of that knowledge. Also just because that is their main field doesn't really mean they can't become the typical "doctor". Which would require that liscense correct? Regardless if they have the legal title or not doesn't make them any less than a Legal doctor in my book.

Marx
03-05-04, 23:56
umm i could be wrong . but doesn't one have to be knowledgable in the basic field to even do that sorta thing. Accidents do occur :p so they'd have to have some of that knowledge. Also just because that is their main field doesn't really mean they can't become the typical "doctor". Which would require that liscense correct? Regardless if they have the legal title or not doesn't make them any less than a Legal doctor in my book.The point is they cover asthetics, much like pokers since implants are not neccesary to fight and play well.

FYI, a plastic surgeon is a person who is licenced as a doctor and has had the proper training (medical school and all that jazz). They just honor money more than the hippocratic oath. While they are legally 'doctors', I wouldn't trust most in an ER since they've specialized in non-trauma medicine (and their courses in school would probably show as such).

Therefore, the honorific 'doctor', which is often bestowed on lifesavers and those who work and abide by the hippocratic oath is not proper.

/e Of course PhD holders are referred to as doctors - but that is a different story altogether... Though PhD's 'doctor' and the medical term 'doctor' share a common root of mastery.