PDA

View Full Version : Monkeys need range...

MjukisDjur
03-05-04, 12:38
Monks need a range spell or attract mob spell for leveling.
I dont care if it does 1 point of damage.

Its not fun having to run and stand 2 meters from a 80/80 (well or higher...) mob, hit him and then try run for cover and finnish him. The mobs kind of kill you in the open field... :mad:

The range nerf was meant for pvp so a spell like this wouldnt unbalance anything as long as it does little damage. Hell, give energy bolt a 300m distance. Would work imop.

phunqe
03-05-04, 13:18
Yeah, actually a good idea! :D

As you said, it can be a crappy spell, but with a range of like 400-500 metres. By all means, it can be at a very low TL...

Glok
03-05-04, 13:21
Or you can get a lazar rifle and a rifle eye 1, there are no good eyes for monks anyways, so ya might as well make use of the slot. :)

Argent
03-05-04, 13:49
I can throw a banana at least 30 meters away. Beat that, sucker!

Dribble Joy
03-05-04, 14:05
It's the same with pistollers, execpt we can (usually) take the dmg from the mob. I have a kami, yet less than 90m on my judge.
I generally agree with the idea... but I dunno, apu dmg out put is insane, and can drop a mob far faster than a tank, PE or spy.

Mingerroo
03-05-04, 14:44
Isn't there already a spell that attracts the attention of a mob?

Steve

Organics
03-05-04, 14:45
If you're hunting Spiderbots you only need to look at them from the zoneline (they are probably on the other side of the zone), then they're interested :lol:

Pity about all the others :p

Deicide
03-05-04, 14:47
use a halo 4 chrissake!

slaughteruall
03-05-04, 14:52
Isn't there already a spell that attracts the attention of a mob?

Steve

Yes and that would be a PPU. He is referring to a APU spell.

Slaughter

ino
03-05-04, 15:03
Jupp that would be nice.. it cant do just 1 dmg to the mob cause that wont get it's attention 15 or something dmg per cast will do it.

And yes the distract mind and the other whats it's name again spell is a ppu spell.

Pistoleros dont have that bad range have they?. I think my pe can lure mobs to me from quite a distance, but the rectangle wont close fast but one lib round of 4 is enough to attrackt the mob anyway.

SorkZmok
03-05-04, 15:20
Just change to 3rd person view and use the LoS-exploit like all others do. o_O

Mingerroo
03-05-04, 15:25
Or go hybrid and stop trying to get APUs all the useful PPU spells!

You can't have awesome damage AND cover (replacement armour) without a lot of effort and possibly teamwork. I've played high level APUs before and never had a problem hunting.

Steve

ZoomZoom
03-05-04, 15:56
use a halo 4 chrissake!

nuf said

Gestra
03-05-04, 16:19
Holy halo caps out range at 185m. Not too bad really.

MjukisDjur
03-05-04, 16:41
185m is not enough in all cases out in the desert...
What is the capped range of a lazar rifle?

Promethius
03-05-04, 16:51
Monks dont need a new spell to make it easier for them to lvl. Also this spell can be used offensivly aswell. 10 people doing 1 dmg over and over to a single person at a far range away can add up quickly.

-Prom

Shadow Dancer
03-05-04, 16:55
10 people doing 1 dmg over and over to a single person at a far range away can add up quickly.

-Prom

Oh my god....

Or go hybrid and stop trying to get APUs all the useful PPU spells!

The spell that attracts mobs to the caster is rarely ever used. You call that useful?

Besides, ppus still have 50 bajillion other spells that are useful and still can mess up pvp with. :rolleyes:

Mjukis, I agree with you. I think apus should get a better ranged spell that does very low damage.

But anyways Mjuk, you won't get anyone voting for any new stuff for monks. People generally hate monks, so you will never find support for any fixes they deserve or any new stuff.

:rolleyes:

MjukisDjur
03-05-04, 17:13
Monks dont need a new spell to make it easier for them to lvl. Also this spell can be used offensivly aswell. 10 people doing 1 dmg over and over to a single person at a far range away can add up quickly.

-Prom

Laughing my ass off. Please stop :)

Biznatchy
03-05-04, 17:22
this is really silly tbh. Im leveling a new apu now and doing warbots at combat rank 30! That 3rd person shooting over hills without LOS rocks.

APU monks have better range then most pistol users and a more effective range then most rifles. So ill be as polite as I can when telling you to STFU. All they need is a range indicator to tell them when they are in range.

HMMM maybe a reticule would solve that.

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 17:23
What about the Holy Lightning (lance spell)? That was a pretty long ranged spell (200+ m) and it was TL 40.. perfect for pulling mobs and completely ineffectual against players. Now its 40m!

Oh, and RETURN RANGE TO CHAOS QUEEN AVALANCHE FFS! It's a line of sight spell with less range than a beam! That means storebought fire beam can outdo it for hunting!

MjukisDjur
03-05-04, 17:52
[ edited ]

Shadow Dancer
03-05-04, 17:55
this is really silly tbh. Im leveling a new apu now and doing warbots at combat rank 30! That 3rd person shooting over hills without LOS rocks.

APU monks have better range then most pistol users and a more effective range then most rifles.

Typical "omg I've just started X class and it OWNZ why do people complain?" syndrome.

This is like Archeus with his tank thread. Or when someone starts a pe and say "Omfg they level fast".

Anyways about apu having a more effective range then most rifles, can you please explain that?

I don't remember sniping mobs from a distance that they couldn't even hit me, with apu spells.

s0apy
03-05-04, 17:58
i concur with the view that monks need no such spell.

i've been levelling a monk, he's rank /40 and can solo WBs with ludicrous ease. i use halo when they get too far away and it works just fine.

some advice - if you are hunting in areas without cover, and your particular weapon type/armour limitations require cover, then hunt someplace else. the game is designed to cater to a great many different playing styles, and there are different locations and cover around to suit all player types.

in the same way, if i was a rifle spy, i wouldn't insist that something be done because my range does not benefit me when hunting solo in caves. i would simply refrain from hunting in caves.

PS. i still don't get why you don't just get closer to your WB, zap him once, and then run towards your cover. my shitty monk can do this with grim chasers, it's not a problem.

Parappa
03-05-04, 18:03
I rate this thread 5 lols.

oh and long range, low damage spell for pvm is a good idea.

Forget My Name
03-05-04, 18:05

Its not fun having to run and stand 2 meters from a 80/80 (well or higher...) mob, hit him and then try run for cover and finnish him. The mobs kind of kill you in the open field... :mad:

The range nerf was meant for pvp so a spell like this wouldnt unbalance anything as long as it does little damage. Hell, give energy bolt a 300m distance. Would work imop.

Wait, so know you want to make this game resemble Fantasy click and snore games by creating the "pulling of Mob camps"!??!!?!?

Hells no. You want to kill it, run up to it and fuck it up. Keep mob camping / pulling out of this game...

SHIT.... This is just another EQ based idea that KK is gonna impliment next patch... FUCK... Thanks man.... Thanks alot....

DONT WORRY... When Bdoy comes out, servers will fill up and you wont even be thinking of pulling mobs when you got your clan beating on mobs all day left and right.

Carinth
03-05-04, 18:40
PPU's don't have a spell to trigger aggro on a mob, ie draw it's attention. We have two spells, one makes a mob forget who it was mad at, the other switches the mob's aggro to you. Neither can trigger aggro. If they could, I would be playing with copbots and npc's in safezones ; D

Monks don't need a spell like that, we're already easy enough to level. You're just trying to do too much on your own. Especialy since you're an APU. If you're tired of having to run for cover and hide around every corner, then find yourself a friendly PPU and you won't have to anymore. Or lom over to hybrid and you can take care of yourself. While an APU can solo, if you're very careful and have lots of patience, remember they are a support class. PPU's used to be able to do limited solo aswell, when soul clusters worked. With patience, you could kill warbots. But just the same neither is supposed to be going solo for very long, you're supposed to be grouping.

Original monk
03-05-04, 18:48
[ edited for consistancy ]

http://users.pandora.be/original/explicit.gif

and prom :P i would like to see youre army of apusnipermonks all with 1 damage lances :P even if ya have 100 of em youre oponent gonna die of lag first :P

im sorry, i can imagine myself that army allready :P i yust had to say it :P

:)

Mingerroo
03-05-04, 23:11
185m is not enough in all cases out in the desert...
What is the capped range of a lazar rifle?

Lmao, way to factor in all the sides of the equations. What are the comparative capped DAMAGES of a psi spell of the same level as a lazar rifle and the lazar rifle itself?

What about the lack of a reticle = definite hit at anything within range of the psi spell, compared to the long distance hit/miss ratio of the lazar rifle.

If you are REALLY bothered about range, reroll as a sniper and stop trying to bag every case-scenario. Different classes excel at different things.

Steve

Drake6k
03-05-04, 23:16
It's the same with pistollers.

Pistols dont have that bad of range. Lib sure sucks for sniping but you can still pull a mob with it. If needed I can always use my mini rocketlauncher.

I always thought monks had good enough range... It isnt a great idea to solo with an apu anyways. Maybe give ppus a spell for pulling that just does like 1 damage.

Vryce
03-05-04, 23:57

Try a Poison Lance; with a couple of slots, all the better. Mine gets out to around 145m.
You're still in a WB's "Blue Beam of Death" range, but, that's what hills are for. :lol:

Promethius
05-05-04, 17:02
One time at CRP there was a group of like 15 people with bats. Surprisingly when i gave em all a chance to hit me my HP dropped hella fast. Now I can see some newb tank running from a crazed apu mob of 15 snipin him from 1000m away. 15 peeps chain casting a low dmg, low psi req spell with a freq of 105. Be hilarious for this apu mob to chase down a high lvled PPU. =p. But overall I don't think APUs need it.

-Prom