PDA

View Full Version : Updating the Wastelands - Wish Thread

Benjie
03-05-04, 03:01
Most people know that KK will not be adding new zones to the wastelands, but instead will be updating them with new areas. There have been a lot of threads about the wastelands in the brainport over the years, so the goal of this thread it to spew them all out now that it's become relevant.

Remember that it is still a wish thread though.

My wishes for the wasteland are...

Grasslands get more shrubbery, more swaying grass, new types of Trees, and new types of Vegitation in Grasslands. Perhaps the odd fallen long that can be used as a seat.
Radiated Areas.
A detailed volcano near Twilight Guardian. Top of the volcano only accessable with high Fire Resist and perhaps drugs or special armour.

StryfeX
03-05-04, 03:53
Most people know that KK will not be adding new zones to the wastelands, but instead will be updating them with new areas. There have been a lot of threads about the wastelands in the brainport over the years, so the goal of this thread it to spew them all out now that it's become relevant.

Remember that it is still a wish thread though.

My wishes for the wasteland are...

Grasslands get more shrubbery, more swaying grass, new types of Trees, and new types of Vegitation in Grasslands. Perhaps the odd fallen long that can be used as a seat.
Radiated Areas.
A detailed volcano near Twilight Guardian. Top of the volcano only accessable with high Fire Resist and perhaps drugs or special armour.
I'd love number 1 as well, but grass makes NC puke on itself. As for my wishlist, I'd like to see a lot more caves/dungeons that are meant for low and mid level people.

I'd also really like to see better terrain. Ah well.

--Stryfe

Benjie
03-05-04, 04:02
I'd love number 1 as well, but grass makes NC puke on itself.
[Off Topic]

Don't forget that MJS says DX9 will improve fps. For me, thats the best part of DoY.
Imagine PvP in Neocron with a steady 30+ fps.
I wish Martin would go into more detail about the improved performance, aswell as a more detailed list of the new graphical effects that will be used around Neocron.

[Back on Topic]

StryfeX
03-05-04, 04:39
[Off Topic]

Don't forget that MJS says DX9 will improve fps. For me, thats the best part of DoY.
I wish Martin would go into more detail about the improved performance, aswell as a more detailed list of the new graphical effects that will be used around Neocron.

[Back on Topic]Ohhh... you mean with DOY. I thought it was general wasteland improvements before DOY. Ok, in that respect, I support grass as well, as long as it's done AFTER DOY gets here. ;)

--Stryfe

Marx
03-05-04, 04:41
I want ruins from the beforetimes.

As I've said a myriad of times before, the remains of a 24 billion person civilization wouldn't be so thoroughly erased after several hundred years.

Kasumi
03-05-04, 05:09
I want wasteland to be made bigger.. Zoneing removed or limited to..

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 05:59
marx... its 7 billion humans now. it will be 14 billion humans in another 30 years. By then most of the countries (due to the EXTREMELY rapid propagation of new technologies and outsourcing of hightech/trained labor and the slow but apporaching equalization of women) will see their populations settle into a steady state (like US and Europe is going through right now. US's growth is mostly from the torrent of immigration), so really, I don't ever expect our population to reach 24 billion.

Anyways, I want wastelands expanded, ocean expanded, period. The release of BDoY will bring in a HUGE torrent of players, and those people will be spinning off into clans of their own. Realistically... the wastelands as it is isn't big enough to handle the tremendous outpost chaos then. If it isn't 20 clans fighting over each single Op, its going to be 500-member clans slugging it out for whole swathes of the map. Either way is going to get ugly. Not to mention that high-end leveling spots will be swamped, techpart mobs will be swamped, hell, even noob leveling spots would get choked for the first few weeks of release, if not longer.

Seriously, we need way more horizonal space for more outposts or locations of power. Places of curiosity is nice and all, but that won't be enough, I fear.

Nash_Brigham
03-05-04, 06:07
I want wasteland to be made bigger.. Zoneing removed or limited to..
Wastelands don't need to be bigger. There too empty as it is to be bigger. Zoning removed would be good, but I doubt possible with the engine. Remember, content is much better than expansive.

Kasumi
03-05-04, 06:15
Wastelands don't need to be bigger. There too empty as it is to be bigger. Zoning removed would be good, but I doubt possible with the engine. Remember, content is much better than expansive.EDit: Expanding wasteland is content.. :)

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 06:17
and I'm opposed to stuffing every damn last sector of the wastelands with "content"

they're wastelands, ffs, nukes don't leave THAT much behind, and that was AFTER the first nuke storm, 800 years of tectonic shift and weather.

Granted, some stuff might be left over, but not in every zone!

Nash_Brigham
03-05-04, 06:18
EDit: Expanding wasteland is content.. :)
Expanding the wastelands /= content. Sorry, but it doesn't. Content means things to do in thiose areas. I don't care if you add 15 miles tot eh wastelands all you will do is bore the fuck out of ppl. Sorry, but making it bigger will not make it more fun.

Cytaur
03-05-04, 06:46
Islands, give us islands !

Kasumi
03-05-04, 07:19
Expanding the wastelands /= content. Sorry, but it doesn't. Content means things to do in thiose areas. I don't care if you add 15 miles tot eh wastelands all you will do is bore the fuck out of ppl. Sorry, but making it bigger will not make it more fun.
You dont understand.. I am nto asking for wasteland to be just extended.. I want it to be made bigger with added trees,camp, water, oasis, caves.. and other thing..

Nash_Brigham
03-05-04, 07:22
You dont understand.. I am nto asking for wasteland to be just extended.. I want it to be made bigger with added trees,camp, water, oasis, caves.. and other thing..
In other words, more of the same bullshit, and jsut as empty. Sorry, but I want content to be filled into what we have before I ask for more, emptier land. Big world does not equal fun world. Figured youw ould ahve learned that by now.

Kasumi
03-05-04, 07:39
In other words, more of the same bullshit, and jsut as empty. Sorry, but I want content to be filled into what we have before I ask for more, emptier land. Big world does not equal fun world. Figured youw ould ahve learned that by now.
A bigger world makes better exploration.. You might play a game for other reasons but I play an MMORPG to feel like I am playing a different world.. So I dont have to have a zone full of mobs or *treasure*.. Landscape objects make me happy.. Having small world that feels like a box doesnt help me feel like I am a in a new world.. ^^

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 07:52
I stand with kasumi here.

EXPAND the wastelands before you put the new content in.. just scatter them more through out THEN. A couple more outposts wouldn't go amiss (IN THE LARGER WASTELAND!)

Oh, and a few small levels INSIDE the fallout shelter. MmmmmmMmMMmmmm. with wooden beds, boxes, and more hack boxes and some old weird electronics.

Islands, oh fuck yes. Far enough out in sea that you wouldn't seriously think about swimming out. Gliders would be THE way to go out there. mmmm... Island OP... *drool*

A real volcano. Right where the map says it is. Special mobs for the volcano. Lava Tunnel caves in the Volcano.

Rivers. Dear Crahn, give us RIVERS! Make water ripple.. I'm talking about the OCEAN WATER crashing and flowing with spume pooling up at the beach. I'm talking about the wind kissing the water and rippling it all up.

Really dense forest. I'm talking about even more dense than the mountain woodlands. With vines running between the trees. I agree with Benjie about fallen trees acting as seats.

More mainsewer zones... at least make them larger with small offshoots that you have to dive into the water and follow... with REAL secrets of Neocron City hidden away... like a drug lab? copbot factory? ceres disc depository? the bones of Lioon Reza?

Did I say rivers?

Real canyons in the canyon zones. I'm talking about CREVASSES that you go DOWN into on long winding trails. Right now, technically, its not canyons in the canyon sectors, its CLIFFS!!! Either rename the canyons to cliffs... or put in some REAL honest to goodness CANYONS!

More gaia. I'm talking about like droms and mice and such... with all those predators that we've been hunting for bounties and loot you have to wonder what THEY'RE eating.

winnoc
03-05-04, 11:58
A dungeon or op inside the falout shelter (if it's a dungeon, add historical soldiers with "old items" as loot, and let their bossmob be "the president" lol

An underwater cave (can only be reached by swiming a long time under water).

A shipwrek near the shore. (old oiltanker)

A blastsite (from nuke)

An old missile silo

so many things to be added. But then again, i don't play enough to have discovered all the things ingame allready.

Mingerroo
03-05-04, 12:19
When BDoY and the new engine come along, I'd like to see forced vegitation. ATM everyone has it off for performance reasons, but in future everyone will have it off because it means they can see their enemies easier, and perhaps grab a few more FPS. So at least a certain level of vegitation, of not all of it, should be forced.

Steve

winnoc
03-05-04, 12:54
Yeah, imagine me being a real noob sniper standing behind a bush sniping people and thinking, how can they see me? :-)

Also once you're under water, you should be invisible to the eye, except when someone else is underwater too.

Benjie
03-05-04, 13:38
Love the river idea Heavyporker. Tall banks eaither side, Lots of shrubbery at the top of the banks, just really well designed rivers.

Love all of the ideas though.

But I have to say, I'm on the argument on imporoving the wastelands rather than expanding on them, as long as the improvement is a really good one.

Superbron
03-05-04, 13:47
Islands, yeah that would be cool! Other improvements get my vote too.

Xylaz
03-05-04, 13:48
(...) Anyways, I want wastelands expanded, ocean expanded, period.

hell yeah! i want motorboats & hoverboats, and a few islands (OPS!!!) which can be accessed only through the use of boats (or GR). Imagine an OP war fight where one sides invades the island (OP) in a motorboats!!!!!!!!

*calming down a little* erm, uhm, but anyway this probably won't happen and BDOY will be twice as buggy and twice as boring as it is now... Still we can dream sometimes, can't we?

Benjie
03-05-04, 14:26
hell yeah! i want motorboats & hoverboats, and a few islands (OPS!!!) which can be accessed only through the use of boats (or GR). Imagine an OP war fight where one sides invades the island (OP) in a motorboats!!!!!!!!

The Outpost
http://www.pacificshipyards.com/images/waterworld.jpg

Outpost War!
http://www.film-streifen.de/images/Waterworld-in.jpg

Oath
03-05-04, 14:30
Swimming to have a fucking purpose.

Mingerroo
03-05-04, 14:33

Lmao, aptly put.

Steve

hivemind
03-05-04, 15:42
WTF are you talking about? It does have a purpose.

It's there so that you can run out of stamina while frantically swimming around the pools at Jeriko Fortress looking for a way out while being griefed by three Large Stingers.

Duh... :lol:

winnoc
03-05-04, 15:57
Swimming should have these purposes:

Getting to underground caves or locations.
Being undetectable for people above the water.
Fire stacks immedieately wear off when jumping in water.

And lastely.
Since i've never sheen a shower or bathtub in neocron, for washing our foul smelly bodies.

ZoomZoom
03-05-04, 16:04
as there is a gilder u should be able to fly over water? maybe a new island

Deicide
03-05-04, 16:10
I want ruins from the beforetimes.

As I've said a myriad of times before, the remains of a 24 billion person civilization wouldn't be so thoroughly erased after several hundred years.

yes sir! More ruins + stories connected to those ruins/dungeons/shelters/castles/whatever....

MkVenner
03-05-04, 16:24
tho i hope if KK add this stuff dont tell us where it is lol, just tell us youve added for instance new beachcaves and fallout shelters etc, i wanna find it for myself

Marx
03-05-04, 16:54
marx... its 7 billion humans now. it will be 14 billion humans in another 30 years. By then most of the countries (due to the EXTREMELY rapid propagation of new technologies and outsourcing of hightech/trained labor and the slow but apporaching equalization of women) will see their populations settle into a steady state (like US and Europe is going through right now. US's growth is mostly from the torrent of immigration), so really, I don't ever expect our population to reach 24 billion.

February, 17th 2143, 14:00
In the last six hours approximately 23 of 24 billion human lives have been eradicated
Insert 23 instead of 24.

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 19:04
bleh.

where'd you get all the food to feed 24 billion humans then. You'd probably have to fence off the Atlantic and genetically engineer tuna to be the size of whales.

Marx
03-05-04, 20:31
where'd you get all the food to feed 24 billion humans then. You'd probably have to fence off the Atlantic and genetically engineer tuna to be the size of whales.
You will live off hydroponically grown mushrooms, and you will like it.Hmmm. Tasty.

:D

Benjie
03-05-04, 21:48
where'd you get all the food to feed 24 billion humans then.
They get the food from outposts out on the sea. They built massive Outposts in the water, and send a big drill down to the Underground Ruins of a McDonalds place, and suck up all the hamburgers and McFlurrys. Thanks to fat gits in the early 21th century, there are enough Mcdonalds Ruins to build thoasands of food Rigs, feeding 26 billion people for up to twenty years! :)

(I've been reading the history)

SypH
03-05-04, 22:03
I'd like to see some villages that are actually populated. Sure there's a few area that resmeble villages (Crest, El Farid etc) but apart from an NPC in one or two of the village why not have a few in each one? They dont even have to do anything at all relating to a story. Just be there to add a bit of life. Maybe even wasteland apartments in some of the villages? Would be handy for those who chose to play an outlaw to live away from both the major cities.

Aziraphale
03-05-04, 22:08
I'd like to see some villages that are actually populated. Sure there's a few area that resmeble villages (Crest, El Farid etc) but apart from an NPC in one or two of the village why not have a few in each one? They dont even have to do anything at all relating to a story. Just be there to add a bit of life. Maybe even wasteland apartments in some of the villages? Would be handy for those who chose to play an outlaw to live away from both the major cities.

Yes, habitable areas in the wastelands, make it possible for players to be uninvolved in city politics.

t-bird
03-05-04, 22:13
ideas from german board:

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=98138

>>> http://d.metzinger.bei.t-online.de/nc/pics/world2.jpg
>>> http://neocron.jafc.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=689

Heavyporker
03-05-04, 22:29
uhhh.. thank you... I'm sure that thread will be useful to us English-speakers that coincidentially know German.

Anyways, back to topic... that reminds me, i have to finish the proposals for NPCs. I fully agree that there should be a few more NPCs in the villages. Not a full-on population, but enough to put some REAL life into them.

dL9
03-05-04, 22:40
The most realistic feature I'd like the wastelands to have are real mountains. Mountains that go high up and maybe some snow. Add a few icy dungeons with polar bears and wolves and perhaps a 120/120 Enlightened Acolyte that would have exiled into the mountains and tamed the creatures. On the outside there could be giant snow birds (why not add penguins that say "meow" when you hit them? Those who played Carmageddon 2 know what I'm talking about :lol: ) From the top you could see a huge part of the mountain sector. Definately a place worth visiting. So why the heck not? :confused:

dL9
03-05-04, 22:49

Good idea. Adding a few villages is a good idea. And to make them worth visiting, they could serve as trading outposts with vendors and maybe even beds to recover health in the local independent "Medicare" (if there is any). They could be scattered around popular hunting grounds so people won't have to go to an OP to get to their gogos (although I suggest there are no genreps which would make owning ops useless for control of the spot). There could even be a small place to park vehicles inside the village for those not allied with the faction owning the nearby ops. Just an idea to make villages hotspots and places to visit.

We also need more places like the Jail House. More places for outlaws to get together because spending too much time in that place makes my eyes and brain go totally insane :wtf: Just cause they're criminals doesn't mean they have to spend their days into a dirty underground hole staring at whores and red flashing lights! Maybe an outpost on the beach or something that works the same way as the Jail House, perfect vacation spot if you're a murderer. :cool:

Benjie
03-05-04, 23:01
Rather than adding lots of new villages, I would like all of the villages in game to be sexied up. Make them look absolutely georgous, a real feast of Eye Candy.
Then I would like to see npc's that walk around the village, doing there own thing. Perhaps one that carries ceramics on his/her head.
Then Perhaps dress up the River Nile (okay so thats not what it's called, but it's the river next to El Farid.) with carefully placed grass, dence trees and bushes. New types of trees, and fallen logs that players can sit on.

Aziraphale
03-05-04, 23:04
Yeah, make it look pretty, make zones more individual. At the moment all of them are just blobs of green or yellow with some bumps and badly rendered trees on them.

SnowCrash
04-05-04, 07:06
There will be a scenario package for BDoY which means some new locations in the wastes with new buildings, dungeons and quests. The difficulty for those scenarios will be medium to high level as we already have enough low level stuff in my opinion. Maybe I can convince Holger to give you a small look at my scenarios within one of the next peeks. But as always, no promises ;)

Jest
04-05-04, 07:29
There will be a scenario package for BDoY which means some new locations in the wastes with new buildings, dungeons and quests. The difficulty for those scenarios will be medium to high level as we already have enough low level stuff in my opinion. Maybe I can convice Holger to give you a small look at my scenarios within one of the next peeks. But as always, no promises ;) Would be cool, especially since we need a wicked Sneak Peak, and plus this will be week 4 without one so would be nice to have. ;)

IceStorm
04-05-04, 09:31
I would like:

- apartments in the wastes that have no GRs nearby (meaning, not in the same zone)

- a multi-level underground dungeon network with exits throug the fallout shelter, among other places

- vehicles to drive through water, or water not be synonomous with quicksand

- holovests that make you look like a Warbot and make you invisible to mob radar

Benjie
04-05-04, 15:09
There will be a scenario package for BDoY which means some new locations in the wastes with new buildings, dungeons and quests. The difficulty for those scenarios will be medium to high level as we already have enough low level stuff in my opinion. Maybe I can convince Holger to give you a small look at my scenarios within one of the next peeks. But as always, no promises ;)
Thats cool SnowCrash. I like your style.
I take back what I said the other week, I went to OZ8 and really checked it out, and it's a georgous map. Lots of Detail.
I can't wait to see what you can do with the wastelands.

winnoc
04-05-04, 15:15
I went to the outzone jail on my spy with stealth, looks good (the entrance at least) and then i died from the guards lol.

Garg [RogueNET]
04-05-04, 16:21
[Off Topic]

[Back on Topic]
30FPS???

dude wth... i got 70 all the time, and thats with 1024x768x32 and maxed settings in option... u need to update the thing u call a "computer"

Benjie
04-05-04, 17:46
']30FPS???

dude wth... i got 70 all the time, and thats with 1024x768x32 and maxed settings in option... u need to update the thing u call a "computer"
Oh stop being an ass.

Mingerroo
04-05-04, 17:55
Oh stop being an ass.

Quoted for extra effect. Not everyone can afford a top-end system, and they shouldn't have to to be able to play ONE game, so don't be so high 'n' mighty Garg.

Steve

hivemind
04-05-04, 17:59
It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for people playing on what were mid-range systems three years ago. I can build a decent box with a 17" monitor for like $600. Dell and HP both offer deals with no payments for a year on new systems got with their cards.

It's a matter of priorities. Don't choose to spend your money on other things, then whine that you can't keep up. Ramen noodles are like $.08 a pack and water is free in most civilized countries.

Priorities...

Plus, if you buy a Dell you can get MJS's magical FRE-free system. Ask him if he'll post the model number.

redjacket
04-05-04, 18:31
It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for people playing on what were mid-range systems three years ago. I can build a decent box with a 17" monitor for like $600. Dell and HP both offer deals with no payments for a year on new systems got with their cards.

It's a matter of priorities. Don't choose to spend your money on other things, then whine that you can't keep up. Ramen noodles are like $.08 a pack and water is free in most civilized countries.

Priorities...

Plus, if you buy a Dell you can get MJS's magical FRE-free system. Ask him if he'll post the model number.
Water is free? Hmm... Ramen though... mmm... damn good stuff... as far as computers... i can honestly say that my p2 400 with a GF2 400MX and 128 meg-o-ram ran Neocron quite well... I doubt you'd be able to do PvP, but... anyhoo... comps are indeed cheap to build/buy now a days... you can pay 600 for a dell, or 600 for parts of higher quality and do it yourself...

but... 600$ can be a lot for some people... and I can understand the general misdirected feeling of "why bother when its going to be outdated in 2 months..." as I hear it frequently from various customers... and some people don't want to bother, and I don't really blame them... i blame the brain cells...

Shadow Dancer
04-05-04, 18:34

omg *explodes*

That's great to hear.