PDA

View Full Version : Any MMORPG's For Me?

VetteroX
03-05-04, 01:26
[ edited ]

So, is there any mmorpg out, or comming out within 6 months for my style of play? Heres what I want:

1) As much PvP as possible. I want to kill everything that moves, kill, destroy, burn, pillage, just cause total mayhem.
2) The PVP MUST, MUST be mostly skill based. No click and go get a soda, no "Oh im level 15 and your level 14, I win by defualt" No "oh I got a super lucky item drop so Ill always win" bullshit.
3) A good, complex char building system, so example, for all thoes of you who were gonna say planetside... no... not battliefield vietnam for a monthly fee... I wanna build a good char with an excellent setup in skills, and pvp wit him, winning 1/2 char design 1/2 skill in fighting.
4) large world to explore,for the odd times I dont feel like killing, and also plenty of spots to find pk victoms.

I was told Lineage 2 was lots of pvp, but it has the "im 1 level higher then you so I win" ... so Im told.

Im looking at WoW, but I cant become a member of the fourms... seems u need a cd key? so I cant ask them. Unfortunetly, PvP is optional... but im hoping so many people will play, there will be tons of victoms. Anyone know how the pvp system is? Is there any good pvp mmorpg with good char building and tons of pvp thats based on good setup and skill, not just level and items?

Forget My Name
03-05-04, 01:32
Everything you say points right to shadowbane. Yes, it is click combat, but the skill system makes it much more than click combat, especially since last night I was in a 300+ man war that lasted well over 6 hours.

You cant get much more pvp than that.

One down fall, the world is basically empty.

tomparadox
03-05-04, 01:33
Im looking at WoW, but I cant become a member of the fourms... seems u need a cd key? so I cant ask them. Unfortunetly, PvP is optional... but im hoping so many people will play, there will be tons of victoms. Anyone know how the pvp system is? Is there any good pvp mmorpg with good char building and tons of pvp thats based on good setup and skill, not just level and items?

WoW i think you half to get picked cus my m8 that playes it at school said you do.

and lineage2 looks badass, i would have goten it but i cant pay 10$ more amonth :/... and the beta whent out

and damn it sounds like your describing neocron...

VetteroX
03-05-04, 01:38
well, yes, id like a game like NC that actually has PEOPLE to play with and kill... thats nc's fatal problem..

tomparadox
03-05-04, 01:45
yea i know what you meen. i tryed MO ( forgot what it stands for ) and it had that one skill higher and uber rare wep drop so i win bull , and it got to be to slow and boring of lvling for me because frome what i saw you couldent kill anything that was out of a serten arya because it was to high ranked, but it was a good game for about 2 months. i tryed some other koren game but i couldent even figur out the controlls and the gfx wernt all to great... iv played Ragnarok online and its "ok". i whant to test FoMc ( Face Of Mankind) it looks good if your a hardcore RPer... SWG pvp sucks from what i hear and IMO there price is outragis, i meen 50 - 75$ for the game then 15$ a month? thats 20$ - 55$ higher than NC jest for the box, then 5$ more a month for the acc Oo... and NC isent even as big when sone got all these other gamesl starios and all this shit... other than that i cant think of any... SWG is good exept for PVP so thats about all i know of :/...

Vid Gamer
03-05-04, 01:47
Vet, the game you want doesn't exist. lol

There isn't a single MMO out now or coming out (maybe [ edited ], but that has dropped off the radar for now) that has Neocron PvP and skill.

Other MMO's either have limited PvP, level based PvP, and 95% click and watch.

tomparadox
03-05-04, 01:50

There isn't a single MMO out now or coming out (maybe [ edited ], but that has dropped off the radar for now) that has Neocron PvP and skill.

thats exactly why its so adicting... its not now because of the serverr pop and shit. but yea, if you find a game that is as good as neocron could be without bugs and more people, please tell me. as for now i play Unread Tuorniment 2004... i miss the beta days :/

Shadow Dancer
03-05-04, 02:55
Vet you aren't going to like wow. The devs themselves said 1v1 pvp is designed to be like a rock/paper/scissors type of thing. They want to "encourage"(force) team pvp combat. If you're ok with that, then go ahead. But just know that if you play X class then Z class will always defeat you unless the person is complete crap.

hivemind
03-05-04, 04:08
Vet I feel for you. We were just talking about this here: http://64.176.95.134/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253 and I've since then thought about it more.

I need two things.

1. PvP

2. When I click a button, something happens (no timer).

That's about it. Only catch is I need it in an RPG, not FPS. I need depth, interaction, politics, plot and story line. And some sort of character growth through skills or stats is a definate plus.

It doesn't exist yet.

Except here.

iainy13
03-05-04, 04:21
I was in this games beta for a bit. It has lunar battles which are basicly one empire against the other. I have never been in one though. AParently losts of pvp in a few pvp based zones which are skill based more then level. Anyways you might aswell look it up.

http://www.knight-online.com.my/

Kasumi
03-05-04, 05:11
1) As much PvP as possible. I want to kill everything that moves, kill, destroy, burn, pillage, just cause total mayhem.
2) The PVP MUST, MUST be mostly skill based. No click and go get a soda, no "Oh im level 15 and your level 14, I win by defualt" No "oh I got a super lucky item drop so Ill always win" bullshit.
3) A good, complex char building system, so example, for all thoes of you who were gonna say planetside... no... not battliefield vietnam for a monthly fee... I wanna build a good char with an excellent setup in skills, and pvp wit him, winning 1/2 char design 1/2 skill in fighting.
4) large world to explore,for the odd times I dont feel like killing, and also plenty of spots to find pk victoms.

I was told Lineage 2 was lots of pvp, but it has the "im 1 level higher then you so I win" ... so Im told.

You have no done any high level PvP in lineageII so I dont thnk you know what your talking about.. ^^ Play Planetside it has all that.. :) Character building is a bit simple but can be a bit complex as well with implants and skills.. :)

hivemind
03-05-04, 06:32
Planetside doesn't have character building, it just has choosing the right tool for the fight. I should know, I got a BR20 Terran on Emerald. I sooo wanted Planetside to be good, but it just wasn't enough. Not when you can play 32 vs. 32 on a lot of Call of Duty servers and a few other FPS games.

Don't get me wrong, Planetside can be a shitload of fun with a good outfit. It just doesn't have enough stuff to do to hold me interest long-term.

prozium
03-05-04, 06:35
I play WoW beta and yes it is click based and there isnt any char design except looks, hmm its very quest based oriented and tradeskills like mining, smithing, engineering, survival, first aid, herbalism, alchemy, enchanting, just to name a few.....but hey its only beta...its a mix or EQ/DOAC/their own unique style

Vid Gamer
03-05-04, 07:15
Yeah, PS is fun for a few weeks and can last for a bit with a good clan but it doesn't have enough RPG elements. I'd rather play a FPS like UT 2004 instead.

VetteroX
03-05-04, 08:21
ugh... when will someone step up and make a good pvp mmorpg... that has people playing? I cant belive theres not another pvp mmorpg out that is based 1/2 on char design 1/2 on skill. And is extremely violent, is it that much to ask to shoot somebody, finnish them by beating them to death with the butt of your rifle, and then cutting off their head and keeping the skull as a trophy? Or blast them with a flame thrower and watch them running around on fire screaming?

We need fallout online.....Ultra mega violent edition... thats my dream.

Disturbed021
03-05-04, 08:25
Unfortunately nothing out there right now or in the near future has as much promise as NC. It really has everything you want but the ppl.
I've been trying to leave NC for 8-9 months now but there hasn't been a game more addicting. A lot of ppl I know are playing RYL (Risk Your Life) atm, but I wasn't impressed.

For now we are all holding our breath and hope DoY gets released like NC should have in the first place. If the numbers sky rocket comeback and pk like a mofo :p

Mirco
03-05-04, 10:06

You guys don`t know where to watch. Go check out darkfall, it aint out yet and isnt going to be for a while, but the vision of the game should fit your requirements like a glove.

Leebzie
03-05-04, 10:13
I cant belive theres not another pvp mmorpg out that is based 1/2 on char design 1/2 on skill. And is extremely violent, is it that much to ask to shoot somebody, finnish them by beating them to death with the butt of your rifle, and then cutting off their head and keeping the skull as a trophy? Or blast them with a flame thrower and watch them running around on fire screaming?

Actually I really like this suggestion 8| Fallout online ultra mega viloent edition gets my money anyday.

Neocron would be what your looking for if it had more players, right ?

Cytaur
03-05-04, 10:38
Nothing out there that compares to neocron... Long live Neocron !

jiga
03-05-04, 10:39
Nothing out there that compares to neocron... Long live Neocron !
Lots of people take neocron for granted. There is nothing out there that compares to it and you will never find a substitute for it

Cytaur
03-05-04, 10:44
Lots of people take neocron for granted. There is nothing out there that compares to it and you will never find a substitute for it

and what exactly do you mean by that ?

jiga
03-05-04, 10:47
and what exactly do you mean by that ?
That people who look for another MMORPG look for the one that is the most similar to neocron but there isn't really anything like neocron.

Candaman
03-05-04, 12:18
I'm playing RYL atm its laggy as fuck because of all the people entering the open beta but the pvp in it is addictive as anything although not very setup based but very skill based. Other than that i'm waiting on [ edited ] which is still in beta1

Strych9
03-05-04, 12:24
I dont think its possible. And not because its Vet either.

First, there has NEVER been a game that has

A. large populations

and

B. Skill based non-consentual PvP

It just wont happen.

Only a handful of games have non-consentual PvP that is skill based, and they all, without exception, have small player bases.

Fact is this: MOST people dont like to be able to be attacked at any time for no reason in a game. MOST mmorpg players dont like that, so most wont pay to play a game where that is possible.

ONLY pure skill game out there that I know of is JumpGate. 100% of your effectiveness is based on skill. Of course for that to be possible, there is no real character customization. There is no skills or traits you raise... you only raise your level, which enables you to access higher level ships (but raising level in NO WAY helps you be a better fighter).

And thats the other problem with what Vet wants-

If a game has a lot of skills and char customization, then those attributes will minimize the actual skill needed to PvP.

Think about it Vet- you want to have a good char building system AND have PvP be based on skill????? They are opposed to each other- why have skills and skill points in game when those skills dont really matter much??? You are saying you want a game where you spend a lot of time customizing a char- but those attributes are overridden by skill when it comes to PvP.

Dirk_Gently
03-05-04, 12:33

Shiny 3d Fallout Online :D

Opar
03-05-04, 14:43
I got just the game Vett.

www.neocron.com

Organics
03-05-04, 14:50
Ultima Online.

Oh wait, I'm going back 3/4 years ago :rolleyes: My mistake :lol:

Original monk
03-05-04, 15:00
I got just the game Vett.

www.neocron.com

i played that game in beta and its cool, a bit buggy yeah but pretty ok, the pvp in it is cool ...

vetterox: to be honest ya yust want neocron but more victims that ya can pvp he ...

at the moment there is no game as you describe above ... i play project entropia now ... but it aint violent and there isnt alot of pvp ... not to mention that its costs alot of rl cash ..

as soon as ya find such a game ya described above then pm me the info about it ok :)

my neighbour's playing the game we cant mention atm ... im waiting if it turns out ok ...

good luck searching

hivemind
03-05-04, 15:01
First, there has NEVER been a game that has

A. large populations

and

B. Skill based non-consentual PvP

It just wont happen.

Only a handful of games have non-consentual PvP that is skill based, and they all, without exception, have small player bases.

Fact is this: MOST people dont like to be able to be attacked at any time for no reason in a game. MOST mmorpg players dont like that, so most wont pay to play a game where that is possible.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make in the thread I linked to. Most people just aren't gonna enjoy getting ganked. In fact, it goes farther than that. For most people, it's a show-stopper. They'll quit playing instantly. It's a rare person that responds to getting killed by saying to themself: "I'm gonna level up and become uber so I can stomp a mudhole in that guy's ass" and writes the names of their killers on a sticky note stuck to their monitor like some of us do.

Neocron had a lot of those people. Unfortunately, bugs and a percieved lack of content has made many of them leave. Many also left because of the abovementioned gankings. Then when they left, populations dropped and more people left because of the low populations. It's a vicious circle, and it won't end until KK spends money on promotion. A LOT of money, not ten or twenty thousand dollars. It's gonna take hundreds of thousands.

But in the end it would be worth it.

Strych9
03-05-04, 15:17
This is exactly the point I was trying to make in the thread I linked to. Most people just aren't gonna enjoy getting ganked. In fact, it goes farther than that. For most people, it's a show-stopper. They'll quit playing instantly. It's a rare person that responds to getting killed by saying to themself: "I'm gonna level up and become uber so I can stomp a mudhole in that guy's ass" and writes the names of their killers on a sticky note stuck to their monitor like some of us do.Yep yep.

And I will take this one step further, and this is where a lot of players wont agree with me:

If PvPers like Vett were actually willing/able to engage in only fair fights, and fights where people WANTED to fight... I think you would see a lot more fighting in games (such as Neocron).

I say that because its not the RULES that allow ganking of newbs or whatever that scare people off- its when the players actually choose to do so.

For example, lets use the pretty much now extinct big BD clan that I have had issues with. They all loved PvP, and complained about the lack of it on the server. Imagine, if you will, how it would have been for them, for newbs, and for the state of PvP if instead of running around together ganking runners they split up and fought themselves???

Ezza is now Crahn. So if Element went say CM, Vett went CA, etc. etc. and they each started a new clan that was hell bent on fighting other clans...

I am not blaming any of those BD runners, so please dont think that. I know good and well its a LOT easier to be part of the big ruling group than it is to form a new group. Its a lot easier to join the strong side or be on the strong side and complain about the lack of resistance from the weak, than it is to join the weak and struggle with them. Thats just human nature.

But that same human nature is what stops a MMORPG from ever being as cool as it can. Neocron, minus the human element, IS what Vett wants. What stops it from being that is how the people choose to play it. Players, like Vett, want a challenge, yet they surround themselves and ally themselves with the players most likely to give them a good fight. Other players want a good fight, yet instead of fighting Vett, they ally with Vett.

And there you have it... the basic desire to win seems to override the basic desire to have a good challenge. Thats why you wont ever find a MMORPG that 100% suits your needs.

Doc Holliday
03-05-04, 15:31
So......

Anyone heard much about this citizen zero game comin out later this year for pc and x-box. that for now sounds pretty good. definitley cyberpunk futuristic type of thing but details from what i found are sketchy. Fair play to vet on what he wants out of a game but i still believe its neocron with more people playing. hes become so used to how things are done here its hard to take that away and readjust to another games way of doing things.

Superbron
03-05-04, 15:40
I think I know a game that has all this and is being released within six months. It's called eh.... BDoY :D

Vid Gamer
03-05-04, 20:55
You guys don`t know where to watch. Go check out darkfall, it aint out yet and isnt going to be for a while, but the vision of the game should fit your requirements like a glove.

That game is really far down the road, though.

VetteroX
03-05-04, 22:11
ok, first, as for char setup and skill, you can have both... they way I won so many fights was by having a great setup and good aiming. If I didnt have a good setup, id be beaten by other people that are also good at aiming/dodging, but the combo of both a good setup and aiming and dodging is what worked for me.

As for allying with good players... thats true, but like you said, its natural. I cant ally with people I have no respect for, and I have no respect for people who cant PvP well. I would have no problem being in a small group of good pvpers vs a huge group. (as I did when I first came to saturn, me and Xer0 vs all of TG and FA back in the days of New Dawn) but the people Im with MUST be skilled... again numbers arent a big deal to me, but skill is.

Also, while I love duels, and love when I attack mb or whatever and theres a prepaired group to fight, ganking, the killing of people who dont want to be killed... is also great fun. In othr words, being a warrior and murderer in a game is fun to me... I really just cant understand these carebears in games that dont wanna fight, that wanna opt out of PvP... I know sadly they are the majority and I dont get it... theres no danger or adventure like that.

As I said, Neocron WOULD be great if it had people, but it just doesnt... and sadly due to kk's trackrecord I doubt they will get many people. If they do, ill be back for sure, but I need an mmorpg incase they dont.

Rith
03-05-04, 23:18
People play MMORPG's usually for the community - for the interactions with others.

That's why they want consensual PvP and why Neocron will never really become a mainstream game. The LE simply prohibits players from experiencing clan life - that's the interaction that makes MMORPGS big. If LE'd chars were able to participate in clan's, there'd be a viable way for non fighting players to fully experience the game - but sadly it would make the handful of hardcore PvP'ers a little pissed off :)

I'd suggest you play UT2004 Vet - its a great for the combat. The only other game on the block similar to Neocron we're not allowed to mention on these forums - otherwise it gets the Nidhogg [edited] treatment. But the other game is more RP than PvP orientated, even tho its an FPS - funnily enough I think you'd get even more of a kick out of killing all those people who play the game for RP :)

frkline
03-05-04, 23:57
what's the read on the matrix online?

http://thematrixonline.warnerbros.com/web/index.jsp

Vid Gamer
04-05-04, 05:21
what's the read on the matrix online?

http://thematrixonline.warnerbros.com/web/index.jsp

They just updated their site/forums and it looks sick!

Beta forms are out now for anyone who wants to beta test. It begins at the end of the month.

Disturbed021
04-05-04, 05:35
From what I remember reading about Matrix Online it sounded cool until I read about the combat. Click and wait......

Vid Gamer
04-05-04, 05:39
From what I remember reading about Matrix Online it sounded cool until I read about the combat. Click and wait......

True it's not real time, but it's more complicated than click and wait.