PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You to GMs

-FN-
29-04-04, 11:06
The servers are going down soon for the usual maintenance. Got this message tonight:

Server Admin : All servers are going down for maintenance at 9:30am GMT (in about 45 mins) for about 20 minutes.

The (in about 45 mins) part is the part I'm thankful for. Many of us have brought it up that so many timezones are involved in-game that the GMT time, after conversion, and at one point, calculation for Daylight Savings, just becomes a bit of a hassle. However, everyone understands "in about 45 mins" :) So yeah, thank you for the clear and concise messaging. Keep it up!

Didn't stay on long enough but I hope there was a 10 minute-ish warning too :)

winnoc
29-04-04, 11:13
Wasn't ther, but that sounds like a much more professional network admin message :-)

Neocrons_coward
29-04-04, 11:18
ok this is scarey O_o they are actually getting more professional... :rolleyes: nows the time to say wooo thank you hehe.

Phantium
29-04-04, 11:43
Worldclient: Connection to nethost lost

AKA... i got booted without any notice.

n3m
29-04-04, 11:55
I've ALWAYS had a warning when the server would go offline. maybe you should pay more attention to the chat screen

Omnituens
29-04-04, 12:01
i too also get the warnings. maybe you have a custom RPOS colour scheme that makes the admin text hard to see?

Wilco
29-04-04, 12:05
Several people (including myself) have adressed that for more than a year now.
Is it SOOO hard for the KK staff to simply "hop into the Game" and post a server message "Maintenance in 1 hour"?
And then keeping ingame like let's say for the last 15mins "Servershutdown in 15mins" .... "Server shutdown in 10mins" "5min" ... "Caution, Servershutdown imminent all players logout!" prior to pulling the plug.
Annother approach would be to "not let new players" in 5mins prior to shutdown and then sending out Admin-messages 1-2mins prior to Server-shutdown.
Following such a procedure, would add much towards a "perceived" professionality of KK by the community.

Just my 2c, Wilco

P.S.: or maybe it's even possible, that the Staff is able to send simple "Server-Admin" messages to the servers without being "logged in" with the standard client, but simply "sending the message" into the servers.

Omnituens
29-04-04, 12:08
or add it to the launcher: Saturn Server - Down for maintainance in * minutes

Argent
29-04-04, 12:44
I've ALWAYS had a warning when the server would go offline. maybe you should pay more attention to the chat screen

That's usually the case for me but last week I played for like 20 minutes on Saturn and then got booted, no messages at all, I even checked log for it.

Imo there should be standard times for the closing reports, like 30mins, 5mins and one min. Thus I assume they have to be done manually so it would result in more work again.

Server shutdown countdown, a feature for DoY?

Phantium
29-04-04, 13:39

I did not get it, i paid attention to the chat screen.

Now stop flaming.

n3m
29-04-04, 13:53
wow forgot to take ur pills?

didnt meant it as a flame.

:wtf:

Lafiel
29-04-04, 14:28
for god sake people lets not go overboard here........ its about damn time they said in minutes when it will be...... dont get me wrong i loved frantically trying to figure out when the server shutdowns would be in GMT.......

Dajuda
29-04-04, 14:56
AKA... i got booted without any notice.

I'ts impossible for you to have gotten botted w/o any notices .. its a global message, THERES NO WAY YOU CANT SEE IT!! Unless!!... you werent paying attantion. So stop flaming. :rolleyes:

ou7blaze
29-04-04, 16:11
in the previous shutdown i lost 300K while i was changing to TG faction :o

oh well, at least this I payed attention :(

MegaCorp
30-04-04, 06:27
thank you for the clear and concise messaging. Keep it up!
I second that. Thx GMs/KK.

Spook

-FN-
30-04-04, 07:22
I'ts impossible for you to have gotten botted w/o any notices .. its a global message, THERES NO WAY YOU CANT SEE IT!! Unless!!... you werent paying attantion. So stop flaming. :rolleyes:

Unless he logged in *after* the message I received and KK did not give a 10-5 minute heads up. And even then, if you get booted 5 minutes after loggin in, tough. I think a 5 minute warning is fair enough. The span of people who log in in the 5 mins between the warning and the serverdown (especially these days) is very few... and even then, go to the forums, see the Announcement at the top, all is well.

But this is assuming they did more than the 45 minute message :)

Dajuda
30-04-04, 08:03
Thank you FN for raining on my parade.