PDA

View Full Version : Question (must read to answer)

PenguinNick
29-04-04, 07:22
Please read PART of my story I am writing up neocron and take the poll and post comments:

When you first wake up in the MC5 Processing Unit... everything seems so strange. Everything is so sureal, kind of like you are in a dream. I swung my legs out to the side and slowly sat up. At first I thought I was alone, but then I saw someone standing by these two horizontal tubes. One of the tubes had an arrow pointing up, and the other one pointed down. I cautiously approached him.
"Excuse me can you help me?" I asked.
"What can I do for you runner?"
"Runner?" I said with a puzzled look.
"Ah, my apologies, I forgot you new comers aren't familiar with our language here in Neocron."
"Neocron, runner? What? Are you on drugs. Where am I?"
"You are in Neocron..."
"Where is that?"
"Not where... but when."
"What?"
"Let me explain. What year is it where you come from?"
"Same year as here, 2004."
"Ah but see you are wrong. You are nearly a whole millenium in the future."
"What are you on man! That's impossible."
"Let me put it this way. Time is like highway. Each second of your life is a different part of the highway, and while they are all technicly happening at the same time, we aren't conscious of them until our brains process it, which is where we get our concept of time. In 1998 we found a rip in time, a shortcut you could call it. I was sent in an expedition to explore the time rip with a group of other scientists and marines. Over time, people started changing... and I don't just mean their attitude. As far as we know there are about four different races, normal every day people like you and I are known as Private Eyes. Then you have your super intelligent people known as Spies, and practitioners of magic known as Psi Monks"
"So it's still all humans right?"
"Well yes, that's how it started out... until Gen Tanks were first created. Extremely strong but lacking in intelligence, they are like super marines."
"Wow this is all too much. How did you handle this?"
"We built this gateway, known as the MC5 Processing Unit. Outside is what we call a genreplicater. These genreplicaters, or genereps for short, break down our genetics and transport them to another genreplicater."
"Is it safe?"
"For the most part... everytime you use one though, it takes a little bit to get reoriented, and you may not be at your full skill right away."
"Thank you for you help Commander..."
"Your welcome runner. Be careful as there are many creatures existing here. You will need some equiptment. Here is a lazar pistol, and a kevlar armor vest, and two clips of ammo to get you started out. Also, incase you run out of ammo, here's a special alloy knife."
"So all I have to worry about is some creatures. Not a problem! I was a marine after all."
"Oh that's another thing. There is a war raging out there. There are different gangs, known as factions. I will set you up with a position in the City Admin faction as they are the safest for beginners right now. Be careful. There is a special chip in your head called a Law Enforcer, it will stop other people from killing you and you from killing other people."
"I don't think I will ever take it out. Who would if you could die."
"Oh yes, there is one glorious thing here, technology has allowed us to live forever in a sense. If someone ever kills you, your genetics will be recreated at your apartments genrep. Be careful runner! Your journey is just beginning! If you need any more help just ask another runner. A lot ar every friendly."

suler
29-04-04, 08:01
I voted the last one.

bounty
29-04-04, 08:06
Don't.....do.....drugs.

suler
29-04-04, 08:42
WAIT WHY DID THEY GO BACK IN TIME OR FORWARD I DONT GET IT??????? I ACTUALLY READ IT AND I AM SO CONFUSED!!!

SynC_187
29-04-04, 11:19
That doesn't seem to fit in with the current history KK wrote.

Jeros82
29-04-04, 12:11
Nice, but if the Base Commander (according to your story) says you can't die, then why does the message appear "You have died. Press MButton 2 to select a GR". And how can you ressurect something that isn't dead ???

:wtf:

Argent
29-04-04, 12:47
And how can you ressurect something that isn't dead ?

Genereplication process isn't "resurrection". It's more like cloning a saved state afaik.

Thus you can permanently kill persons that haven't saved their image into the genreps (plotline-wise). And thus your body can get killed, but not permanently, since you can always genrep yourself.

Jeros82
29-04-04, 12:50
I more like in meant the spells ressurection instead of GR'ing back to your appt...

Argent
29-04-04, 12:57
I more like in meant the spells ressurection instead of GR'ing back to your appt...

Your body can die, thus it can also be resurrected. But the choice is to use genrep, which replicates you and your old body basicly stays where you died (I want this feature to the game :-/) thus basicly you can't be "killed".

So you can die - in a way - but never permanently. Different kind of forming of the commanders sentence would be better though.

"Your meatsack has died..." :-)

craio
29-04-04, 13:04
Doesnt correspond enough with the actual history of neocron. Story kinda seems to jump from one point to the other,maybe cause you're trying to get to much across. The most confusing is the time-travel <-> waking up thing.

The timetravelling shouldnt be used and the true purpose of MC5, brainwashing, instead of cryogenic sleep since 2004 (or is this prt of the time travelling aswell?).

I always saw Neocron's history as something that might happen not something completely fiction( holodisks they talk about will actually be mass produced in 2005 (japanese company is geting close to it and will future a 200-300 Gb storage space) :eek: ).

So in short,adapt it more to reflect the neocron history and i would revision some sentences they dont sound right.