PDA

View Full Version : Played on Pluto, Now on Saturn, and Observations.....

Maloch Octavia
29-04-04, 02:38
I had heard it said, but honestly, Saturn sever is so unstable!! I've been getting lag spikes, synch problems, random GR'ings and the like ever since I started.

Not to mention that people on Saturn just aren't as nice as those on Pluto.

:d

On another side note, honestly, this game is so fucking frustrating to start from anew, if you know -nobody-.

Should a game be this shit to start out new? They really need to get a grip on MC5 and the surrounding areas, not to mention some of the basic GR rules.
I spend all day running to a location, to die, and not to be able to spawn anywhere near it.
Yup, that's fun.

*Mutters*

Psychoninja
29-04-04, 02:46
It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one that notices how unstable the gameplay on saturn is.

Thats probably one of the main reasons I keep coming back to pluto, it's just hard to stay online on saturn. Crash, synch, lagg.

Dont Mess
29-04-04, 02:51
mayb because pluto has a max of 76 pple online and saturn goes up to what 200 thats y its laggy

Psychoninja
29-04-04, 02:53
Even a few months back when the server pop wasn'tvery different it was still alot more unstable than pluto.
I think the Item wipes are proof enough that it has a few kinks.

Kenjuten
29-04-04, 03:34
On another side note, honestly, this game is so fucking frustrating to start from anew, if you know -nobody-.
I think it's just you not knowing places....I don't really know anyone ingame (as far as my alt chars are concerned at least...hell, I started Ken by himself too), and I'm fine enough.

Organics
29-04-04, 03:51
Shrug

I rarely have any bugs/errors on Saturn, guess it's just the PC setup or similar.

As for starting out, well I did what I've done with every MMORPG I've played, visited the forums, checked out the website playguides (or forum playguides) and then decided to start an account. Sticking to the forums pretty much lets you find people willing to help you start out :)

Bl@zed
29-04-04, 03:53
basically, starting out in this game is shit...there are no n00b quests of any type, to get n00b armor or anything, or hell, they need to make all that junk from sewers useful, mkae that a quest to get a n00b weapon or something...so n00b players aren't so stranded to the standard "stilleto" or lazar guns, those n00b weapons are so utter shit you might as well punch stuff.

basically they NEED to work on the n00b part of the game if they want to cater to new players, and get their player base up. Cause if neocron is going to have any chance to copete against eq2, lineage2, WoW etc. they need to fix these things and add ALOT more content/quests to the game.

Marx
29-04-04, 04:26
basically, starting out in this game is shit...there are no n00b quests of any type, to get n00b armor or anything, or hell, they need to make all that junk from sewers useful, mkae that a quest to get a n00b weapon or something...so n00b players aren't so stranded to the standard "stilleto" or lazar guns, those n00b weapons are so utter shit you might as well punch stuff.

basically they NEED to work on the n00b part of the game if they want to cater to new players, and get their player base up. Cause if neocron is going to have any chance to copete against eq2, lineage2, WoW etc. they need to fix these things and add ALOT more content/quests to the game.
*cough cough* (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=87007)

;)

Kenjuten
29-04-04, 04:28
Your n00b quests are your missions you get from your CityCom, as well as Epics you can start out at skill rank 10(!). Work with it.

N00b armor is too cheap to me (starting out, I don't mean I have millions of credits on me). Just buy it.

Junk is junk. Some things are useful to some people, some stuff is just plain junk. Sift through stuff if you want to find something useful for yourself.

You already have n00b weapons when you start out...now this is where I'll step out of my trend and say that yes, KK made professions semi-pointless currently. You can peruse http://neocron.ems.ru to make sure your character starts out with the right equipment.

The game kinda encourages you to know when to permanently climb up the weapon/equipment/implant ladders. You can get better exp depending on a few things, most notably your TL of the weapon and how well you can drop mobs.

One last thing: Punching is useful. :D

Maloch Octavia
29-04-04, 04:57
I've been playing this game since retail, thus I know exactly where to go to level, but if you know no-one, even with those locations, it's still a pain in the ass.

The way the levelling system works is thus:

Level fast, forget about the start, dwindle on the middle, and focus on the end.

There is no begining or middle content. What do you do once you hit the << levels? It's either Cyclops launchers and those other mobs around 40 or 50, then onto the Warbots and Doomies, etcetc.

I just don't think Reakktor have focussed enough on the content for those that are beginging levels. There is no beginging level community, it's all middle to capped. No begining level social scale or trade scale, apart from the odd peep starting out with base gear.

Oh, as for the sever pop comments, that's bullshit, these servers should be able to handle 200, 300 without any problems. That is simply not an excuse, and when Pluto hits 200, I see none of the problems Saturn does.

FBI
29-04-04, 05:42
mayb because pluto has a max of 76 pple online and saturn goes up to what 200 thats y its laggy
Saturn has always been laggy and fucked up with all the server problems,
people's cabs getting deleted etc. There is lag and spikes when saturn is at
only double digits as well. Pluto has always been a stable server even when
it housed 300-500 players months back.

I had heard it said, but honestly, Saturn sever is so unstable!! I've been getting lag spikes, synch problems, random GR'ings and the like ever since I started.

Should a game be this shit to start out new? They really need to get a grip on MC5 and the surrounding areas, not to mention some of the basic GR rules.
I spend all day running to a location, to die, and not to be able to spawn anywhere near it.
Yup, that's fun.

*Mutters*
If you need help on pluto, no one will hook you up like I can, contact me bro.

Parad0x -FBI

superfresh
29-04-04, 06:12
Been on Saturn a year and can't really say that crashes are any more or less common than at any other time. I am willing to bet that they happen more on well populated servers.

My opinion regarding the players of Saturn - most are capable of being friendly. They just can't afford to be that way in game if they want to survive. I've got a tradeskiller there who has been treated very well by all players, including some of the most notorious. The hardcore nature of Saturn makes it challenging, but I also think it brings the game closest to the way it is meant to be played. Aside from the fact that its "dark...cyberpunk..." etc.., its multiplayer. Saturn more than other servers I've been on requries that you interact & socialize a bit to find some friends & allies. The team element is a necessity there more than on any other server IMO.

Regarding knowing nobody, thats half the fun. I'm pretty sure there are people on ANY server that would help you out if they knew you were new. The only time I felt like I was playing this game for the first time again was when I started characters on servers that were new to me.

-FN-
29-04-04, 07:01
Ok... I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Despite KK's code improvements, THIS is why the server performance has been changing:

When you have 400-500 people on a server, it's laggy, buggy, and unstable.
When you have 40-50 people on a server, it's better.

Saturn has more people on it now than it used to because so many people have migrated there. More people = More problems.

However, as RayBob mentioned in another thread, and I thought it was my router at work suddenly, after 6 months of working fine, acting up. 3-4 times a day at HOME and at WORK, I synch out. Just running around Plaza by myself, or at an OP battle with 20 people. Everyone around me just stops moving, I can no longer use anything, switch spells, etc. By the time I figure out that I'm done, I wait 5-10 seconds, SYNCHRONIZE, then reconnect.

This is with like 20 people on the server, so it better not be overload...

so wtf is going on?

Drake6k
29-04-04, 07:12
The reason pluto is so small is because people keep going to Saturn. It has to stop somewhere. Come back to pluto RIGHT NOW.

It's a horrible cycle.

Disturbed021
29-04-04, 07:27
Huh, I've played on Pluto for over a year and recently started playing Saturn more and I honestly haven't noticed anymore crashes or Lag than Pluto. The exception to that would be the insane ping I get on Sundays :rolleyes: :mad:

As far as starting new characters; yes it isn't difficult for ppl that have played the game for awhile and know where to level (duh), but it can be a pain for the real newbs. I've always thought that the TL25 and under weapons should be good quality with random slots when purchased so the newbs don't have to necessarily get those guns built for them.
*sigh* I guess if the server pops were higher it wouldn't be as big a deal.....
*goes to get drunk and reminisce of a time when server pops where always high*

Archeus
29-04-04, 09:03

You can sell the items at YOs for cash, cash can be used for goods and services. ^^

Or you can use the stuff to recycle ammo/boosters. Do missions to boost stats faster. Learn a small tradeskill to boost up your stats faster (eg, cst/res/poke).

Argent
29-04-04, 09:23
When I moved from Pluto to Saturn ages ago I noticed that Saturn is a lot more unstable, most likely due to it's quite a lot larger database.

Hhmm, wonder if MySQL-theme can be fit into the YMCA-song......

Crest
29-04-04, 09:31

Yup, that's fun.

*Mutters*

Welcome to Saturn ... if you need anything just drop me a in game on Crest and I will see what I can do.. .I started in Uranus so I know what its about ... Made my first mill yesterday so that was cool.

Even a few months back when the server pop wasn'tvery different it was still alot more unstable than pluto.
I think the Item wipes are proof enough that it has a few kinks.

I have never seen pluto numbers remotely as high as saturn. Mebbe we should see if Jupitor has same problems as they have more players

I think it's just you not knowing places....I don't really know anyone ingame (as far as my alt chars are concerned at least...hell, I started Ken by himself too), and I'm fine enough.

Yes this is so true ... people and money, and on saturn everything is over valued .... can't even get c10's for under 60K no days ....

I rarely have any bugs/errors on Saturn, guess it's just the PC setup or similar.

It seem that the PC setup has not changed only the server ...IE Play Pluto server no lad, play saturn server lag .... By process of elimination PC is eliminated

MkVenner
29-04-04, 09:48
I dont really see any more lagg and unstability on SAturn than pluto, and i did play pluto for about 6weeks. Tho i get FRE everytime i wanna use the CityCom lol

Drop me a line on Saturn if u need a hand, all my char names are in my profile tho MkVenner or Psycosis are the ones im using the most atm

Scikar
29-04-04, 10:17
If there are problems with Saturn, it's more than likely down the fact that there are 4 times as many characters in the database. However I play both Saturn and Pluto (well, not really Pluto atm when the pop is below 100 to be honest) and I don't see any difference between them. There have been the odd DB errors on Saturn, just like there have been on Uranus. But I feel it's worth it, and if DoY finally includes the new database there should be some improvement there.

phunqe
29-04-04, 10:19
I've been playing on Pluto since day one of it's opening.
Having played this long time on a specific server doesn't give me much options really.
If not all my friends and my whole clan moves to another server, I cannot move. The expression "There is no place like home" springs to mind here.
For me, I haven't even thought about changing servers. It would be like moving abroad without my family and without a job.
"Omg" you think", "This fellow has issues comparing a server move to this".
Yes I have issues. Issues of loyalty, friendship and a damn annoying stubborness.
I will goddamn sit this one out.
I will goddamn have faith in that one day I will see plaza crowded again.
I will goddamn keep on fighting.

One server, one clan, one heck of a play. Long live Pluto.

Peace.

MkVenner
29-04-04, 10:27
Not to mention that people on Saturn just aren't as nice as those on Pluto
Granted there are some arseholes on Saturn, but then again there are on Pluto, its just the pops lower so theres proportionbly (sp i know i know)less. Most of the people I talk with/hang around with a great (cept Scikar :D joke). You used to get tons of gankers running through the aggies, then the ganked would bring in their "big brothers" but i think people are realising that when they make an alt and they need to lvl they dont want the hassle so its all reached a balance.

I mean one of the nicest people ive met was a crahn guy who jumped me, then DMed me saying he'd got my belt where should he drop it off, and then gave me tips on what went wrong and how to adjust my setup lol. Met him again a couple of wqeeks later and I won, he DMed me complementing me how my style had improved etc etc. One person's nice to another then he's nice to the next, all you gotta do is ignore the CS kiddies and they leave, there just like a fly lol

s0apy
29-04-04, 11:16
The reason pluto is so small is because people keep going to Saturn. It has to stop somewhere. Come back to pluto RIGHT NOW.

It's a horrible cycle.
but what can stop it? when i logged in this morning there were 112 people on saturn, and 15 on pluto. that's pretty much standard for me - i play between 9.30am and 4.30pm GMT (at work :)). pluto reaches a high of 50 or so in that time, and saturn can get to 200.

if it were me on pluto, i'd move - no question. and as more people leave, still more others will follow as the population drops. it's an exponential curve. when the population gets down to 20 odd at peak times, those last stalwarts will either give up en-mass and move too, or the plug will be pulled.

and new players? they'll take one look at server populations and, unless german or french, their server choice will be made right there.

it's hideous, but seriously - what else can happen?

numb
29-04-04, 11:28
I was originally going to leave the whole game as I was getting sick of the way things were on Saturn last summer - but instead I started up a new character on Pluto and had a better time there, as there generally wasnt as much bitching etc going on.

Now that the Pluto population has dropped, I dont really want to go back to Saturn - so I just dont play anymore. I'm sure a few others are like this too.

ezza
29-04-04, 12:16
sure saturn aint as nice as pluto, though its funny i said pluto was nice once on ooc there and everyone was like omg stfu pluto aint as nice as saturn etc.

ya saturn has a lot of bitching etc but its the hostility for enemies that makes it worth while.

as for saturn stability, i wish they would do something about it, nothing like having to cast a spell 10times

Crest
29-04-04, 12:17
I remeber when saturn as the care bare server .... yeah like thats the case .....

-=BlackBeard=-
29-04-04, 12:19
come bak to pluto then..........also someone find me a remove para sig?

MkVenner
29-04-04, 12:24
see what happens is a few of the l33t p33kay ar dUdeS get the rest of us tarred with the same brush...

for instance Ezza might own me in NC, yet i can still have a civil convosation on here with him....yet others would be like "I R 733t, I r0><><0r j00" excetera excetera...and on and on...

what you gotta do is break thru the CS kiddies and find us good guys :p

@ Blackbeard: Right click on one and copy the URL in the properties

FBI
29-04-04, 12:46
Well how about this...

For every player under the rank of 40 that comes to pluto in an effort to play
there I'll give you a cold million.... that's right I'll pay you to play on pluto.

Now there's no excuses, i want to see some noobs! contact me ingame for
you cash, if you don't make an effort to "try" to play, I'll chase you to uranus :angel:

I dunno anyone else who would do something like this, i'm crazy. Hopefully less
than 50 contact me so I don't put a dent in my years earnings.

(for those who want to take me up on this offer, email/dm ingame Parad0x)

If i can get atleast 10 of ya I'll be happy.

Parad0x -FBI