PDA

View Full Version : My new computer

Zanathos
27-04-04, 14:59
I just purchased a computer from Staples. It was 850 bucks Canadian.

I already know its not a very good gaming PC.

2.8 GHz Intel Celeron
Intel Extreme Graphics card (64 MB)
512 MB SD Ram
Windows XP
unsure on BUS speed. or any other relevant information.

i dont know the full stats for it.

Its not very good for games at all, quake III has troubles running on full details on this compuer..... most of my games run fine with the details down all the way though, ranging from call of duty to quake III.

What i am wondering is, what would make the most improvement for the least amount of money? a new video card? I already have one in mind.

later on when i get the money i plan to upgrade the processor, motherboard, power supply, get a new case, and better and more ram. (1 GB of DDR Ram probably) the processor will probably be an intel pentium 4 with hyper threading or maybe an intel xeon processor.

I am no expert on computer hardware but I am learning alot in this course at school.

would a better video card help it the most?

(BTW, this computer was a birthday present to me, and I plan to upgrade it when i get a job)

birthday was yesturday :p GO ME! 19 now :)

extract
27-04-04, 15:03
unsure on BUS speed. or any other relevant information.D

raise up for the celeron crew!

im pullin bout 100mhz myself

sir retail
27-04-04, 15:09
Hi m8.

Okey the best for you is what you did think already..

you need to buff the Video card. That will give you the best improvement.
but. you would like to w8 for about 1 month..
ATI and Nvidia are comming soon with the newest series. Those will rock the world, but they will not be cheap..

but the good news is that the "old" models will go down in price.

good luck .. :D

extract
27-04-04, 15:11
I would personally trash the ram first, I can live with shotty graphics, then again Im in more audio applications than I am in games anyways.....

Ozambabbaz
27-04-04, 15:11
congratulations :)

'bout teh putar, personally i wouldnt upgrade anything on it, save for a graphics card, and these are probably going to drop somewhat fast in price (AGP ones) over some time.

After that save up for a mobo+proc+ram and start expanding the new system, since afaik as i know nothing else you can use on that system will be compatible when your going to get a better mobo

Lexxuk
27-04-04, 15:19
Aye, dump the video card, get urself a geforce, even a 4mx would be better than the intel thingymajig.

Vampire222
27-04-04, 15:21
snd a big NOS to intel processors, unless you got too much cash to burn

Zanathos
27-04-04, 15:24
Yeah, I definatly will get a new video card frst, it wont be for a little while though.

probably not for a month or two until i get a new job.

So yeah, by then the new video cards will be out and the other models will go down in price.

Im already anxious to get an nvidia geforce fx 5700 128 mb or even 256 mb video card! (whatever is available) Im an nvidia fanboy so dont even try to get me to buy an ATI :p

heh heh, then i can brag at my brother cause my computer will be better than his ;).... a little bit :)

his is :

intel pentium 4 2.0 ghz with northwood support (extra cache memory)
400 MHz BUS
512 MB of DDR ram at 333 MHz
nvidia geforce 4 ti 4200 128 mb video card.
windows xp

snd a big NOS to intel processors, unless you got too much cash to burn

not really fond of athlon processors. im not getting a mac :p

SSssssOOOoooo

Its either an intel pentium 4 with hyper threading or intel Xeon, ill just have to wait and see when i ge the money.

Oh damn, and i just remembered, i gotta spend my first 100 bucks on getting a wireless network card for my computer so i can use the internet :( Unless a phone line will work.... still have to test that theory out. (My bro is the one with the internet access, my mom shares the internet from him and i will be too)

sir retail
27-04-04, 15:27
i need to tell you one thing...

ATI is better ;)

Zanathos
27-04-04, 15:29
i need to tell you one thing...

ATI is better ;)

EVIL!

im an Nvidia Fanboy dammit! :p

i had bad experiences with ATI cards..... I never owned one either :), my experience is from a friend which later switched to Nvidia himself :(.

;)