PDA

View Full Version : Which pistol for a spy?

winnoc
27-04-04, 14:04
Ok, after seeing the next planned patch, i'm gonna go from rifle spy to pistol spy.

Right now i have a obliterator using silent hunter spy with 121 dex using SF, SS, Veh3 and another +5dex implant forgot name, and exp reflexbooster 4

I guess after loming out the rifle combat, and some TC i'll be down to a natural 87-88 dex again so with SF,Moveon,ZERK2,Veh3 and STR backbone i'll be able to hit the 102 dex mark with my pa2. Which gives me lowtech pistols or the judge.

If i stay high dex and low in defense i can easily go for the executioner without drugs.

Which pistol would be most succesful? Maybe other suggestions?
Never been pistols except a nailgun pe, and my constructor who uses a toy gun.

Vryce
28-04-04, 00:41
Well, my Pistol/Spy uses a Libby and an Earp, both lo-tech. The advantage to the Libby is the RoF and more distance (50m), while the Earp does more damage, close up (16m).
Don't know if that helps; I don't have any info on hi-tech.

Susi
28-04-04, 02:55
Ok, after seeing the next planned patch, i'm gonna go from rifle spy to pistol spy.

Why don't you just wait till the patch hits retail? Switching from rifle to pistol now is nearly as clever as putting all points into hacking the moment KK announced the Hacknet... And there's also the chance that rifles will finaly get balanced the following TS patch... (Or as parashocks: with every patch after the next :-))

Krush
28-04-04, 03:08
I totally agree. I would wait till the patch hits and then think about it.

ZoomZoom
28-04-04, 09:01
mmmm if you go pistol ur gonna need better implants and if u stay rifle ur gonna need better implants :) lvl ur spy up and use distance wepon cpu 3 balsitic 3 sf and riggers interface/specail sceince.

Garg [RogueNET]
28-04-04, 09:18
Slasher and Executioner = Teh Sex

<--- Pistolspy

ZoomZoom
28-04-04, 09:47
executior :wtf: has shitty aim i think.... i just find it funny. I use slasher and a rolh :)

Scikar
28-04-04, 10:34
Veh3 is a very poor imp to use, with the ath penalty. I would suggest using a motoric 3 instead, since you're using it purely for the DEX bonus anyway.

Executioner is certainly an excellent choice, RoLH used to be but I just find it tickles nowadays to be honest. However if you go the high no dex no str route as a pistol spy you won't get very far. As a rifle spy you can stealth before anyone gets close to make up your lack of fire armor, as a pistol spy you cannot. Low tech pistols are usually only chosen by spies who want the spare DEX points for a tradeskill, you need the power of the higher level tech pistols to offset your lower defence. If I were you I would go for the Inq/Judge setup for now, and use an Executioner when capped/near capped.

Shadow Dancer
28-04-04, 10:37
Executioner hurts. 8|

And it's great against apus. About the low "defence". Honestly, I think anyone can live on one drug. Won't their be a 10 min psi drug next patch? That would be like a spy's dream come true. I suggest you drug up for shelter.

And once again, executioner hurts! 8|

Also, slasher is like the best looking fun in the game. :p

SorkZmok
28-04-04, 11:10
Executioner hurts. 8|

And it's great against apus. About the low "defence". Honestly, I think anyone can live on one drug. Won't their be a 10 min psi drug next patch? That would be like a spy's dream come true. I suggest you drug up for shelter.
Executioner. Great choice. Slasher also is very nice.

About that 1 drug. I'd rather use a setup with beast only instead of that psi drug. Because that way you can get into inqui1 armor (about 70 fire) and get a lot of free runspeed. For shelter just hope you always got a ppu or a pe around and only drug for your own shelter if youre completely on your own or got a safezone nearby...

winnoc
29-04-04, 09:17
Okay, i did it, i'm now a pistol spy. Was pretty boring, but now i have about 128 in pc with pa1 (still have to lom out 36 recycle and 76 vehicle use)

I think i'll go slasher and level my dex back up this way and then go for the inq1 setup. Cool thing is i can still use my stealth 3 now, the obliterator is just out of reach.

How much health do you guys spec? I have currently about 380 with self buff.
I was thinking about lowering it to 290 and have better resists.

Shadow Dancer
29-04-04, 09:20
Um, I think 290 is too low for any char.

winnoc
29-04-04, 10:16
There must be a formula to calculate the best ratio for health versus resists, based on the way you loose points in resist and health as they go up.
Also the amount of dammage that's left after resists and how many hp you have.

Dribble Joy
29-04-04, 10:27
I'm sure there is, but it would be sooo complicated.
I did derive the PvP dmg equation (from ems.ru) that is used in the skill manager.

Problem is that there are so many different combinations of armour and imps that there really isn't any other way besides good old trial and error.

Set your resists to a reasonable standard, and given a notional amount of dmg (100 is easy) you can work out the number of 'hits' that you can take.
Keep tweaking untill the number won't get any higher.

ZoomZoom
29-04-04, 10:42
ive changed my mind on the executioner i was in neofrag with a pe and a tank i was killing the pe and the tank kind of :wtf: 2 cs shots at my spy and his dead! :(

SorkZmok
29-04-04, 11:34
There must be a formula to calculate the best ratio for health versus resists, based on the way you loose points in resist and health as they go up.
Also the amount of dammage that's left after resists and how many hp you have.
Less than 300 health is bad.

How you do it:
Cap your con, put 50 into atl, 50 into health, have all other points unassigned. Then put on the armor your planning to wear, pop the drugs you wanna use and hit NF with a tank for a while.
I got about 340 health and got fire cs dmg down to about 80 i think, xray cs does even less. On a rifle spy using redflash, beast and deso forte that is.
A pistol spy could get higher health or use less drugs as he doesnt need as much runspeed as a rifle spy.

n3m
29-04-04, 11:39
ppl underestimate the slasher

winnoc
29-04-04, 11:58
Hmmm, since i'm not capped in dex, i'm going with the judge till i can use a slasher.
I was thinking slasher vs spies pe's and tanks, and explosive libby vs apu's

I played with some setups, and i'll end up with a drugged spy with 107 dex, 48 str, about 330 health and very good resists.
Als he has high pistol combat and about 150 wpl, does hacking 110 and has 88 athletics and 110 agility.

So in 4 dex levels i'll be able to wear spy pa3 and use slasher executioner.

sultana
29-04-04, 12:12
88 ath, and 110 agl? Man you'd be scary to nf against =P

Slasher is good against any class really, though, to me, it seems to do no damage against an oponent with a holy shelter on. It's also probably slightly easier to aim then the executioner. While the excutioner does a ton of damage =P and will hurt an undefelctored monk, because of the added force damage. However you'll need to nf abit to get used to the aim on it. I suggest staying in little closer to you oponent with it, then say you would with a slasher.