PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Ellis Bumsexx0r's guide to leveling in the Chaos Caves!

metalangel
27-04-04, 03:08
I play in the Chaos Caves a lot, both as a PPU and fighter, so I've got plenty of experience on both sides of the action. Here's some pointers to make your experience better both for you and your fellow cavers. Happy grinding!

http://www.torridaffair.org/seb/jw/t03.jpeg

Obvious stuff:
-wear a poison belt. Duh.
-bring enough ammo to last several runs!

Less obvious stuff:
-unless you're specifically trying to milk the run for all it's worth, KILL THE LIEUTENANTS FIRST. Otherwise, you'll be suffering from its massively painful hits, and it'll spawn tons of minions who can quickly overwhelm you. Similarly, if you're pushed back by the mobs, go for the Lieutenant... once it's dead, you can mop up.
-don't jump back in as soon as everyone's vacated the cave... give the mobs time to have lots of babies :lol:

For APUs:
-don't fucking barrel your team. Seriously. First, take some accuracy lessons. If you see someone is enjoying getting up close to attack, don't barrel because they might suddenly rush in just as your barrel hits, and you'll kill them too. Secondly, don't barrel anything you could piss on. You'll probably do yourself as much injury as any teammembers standing near you.
-watch your fire... don't accidentally holy fire halo a teammate, they'll know it wasn't a mob that killed them.
-don't barrel in close combat without warning your team... feel free to barrel the small siderooms provided you can keep the area effect contained in the room itself.

For PPUs:
-don't start rezzing a fallen person when the rest of the team is locked in combat. They need you to keep their buffs and health up - neglect them now and in 30 seconds you'll have two more people to rezz. Once the local area is clear, start to rezz.
-don't waste time on Shelter or Deflector... waste of your PSI, and not really effective.
-if you're going to start a series of buffs, cast heal on anyone who's even somewhat low on health or heading for the front first. That way you're free to buff yourself or others and any damage they sustain will be immediately healed.
-don't damage boost everything - save it for lieutenants, soldiers, or any mob that's proving hard to kill. Always boost bats, because they're fucking annoying things.
-parashock bats too, to expedite their demise.
-don't damage boost, however, if anyone in your team needs healing or buffs. The team is your priority.
-you're the main priority, though - you can't rezz yourself, so don't neglect your own needs for the sake of others! If you die, your team is screwed!
-carry a good range of common buffs - melee is good, also spy boost, haz 3, psi combat boost, pistol. What you do with the remaining slots is down to you, but ressurect and heal are pretty much a given ;)
-don't follow kamikaze players who charge ahead, stay with the main team.
-avoid standing out in the open, stay behind a wall or corner from the fighting so you can safely buff and heal wounded fighters without them catching a vicious hit and falling over dead mid-cast.

For riflers or pistoleers:
-STAND STILL! Dodging has no effect on the mobs, and only makes it harder for the PPU to draw a bead and cast heal on you. Plus, you're only likely to run into someone's line of fire and catch a Doombeamer burst up the bum.
-if you're right at the front of the attacking group, crouch so people behind can fire over your head.

For melee berserker types:
-don't go caving! Seriously, you just get in the way. :D
-okay, fine, but stay out of the line of fire. You have to get up close, obviously, but there's a good half dozen or so people behind you who can't very well shoot through you. Move to the side or something.
-stand still! Granted you have to keep the mob within range as you chop at it, but running around like a headless retard will throw off other's people aim when you get too close to their reticule.

For heavy combat/droner/AOE users:
-DON'T AOE YOUR TEAM. I am completely fucking sick of being killed or having teammates killed because some douchebag with shitty aim and a weapon they can't handle keeps hitting the walls or floor instead of the mob and its vicinity. If there's a risk, aim so your shots hit PAST the mob, to minimize the chance of teammates being caught in the blast.
-if you must AOE, warn people in all risky situations except for the little side rooms where you should fire happily unless someone's just charged in there.
-try and get on a ledge so you can fire over people's head and DOWN onto the mobs!
-drones are great for sneaking past to kill the lieutenants!

Dealing with the PPU:
-the PPU is god. Without them, you'll die. You might be able to solo a few minions or creepers, but you're bound to come across a Lieutenant and get **********. You need them, so respect them. Don't be pushy or demand things.
-the PPU won't magically pull buffs out of his or her ass - if they didn't have pistol 3 30 seconds ago, they won't have it now.
-if the PPU starts rezzing someone, be nice and wait. Yes, it's boring, but that rezzed person will be another target for the next set of mobs to attack apart from you, and you'll also have the PPU's attention.
-don't cast your own shitty heal on yourself unless you're absolutely left with no choice. It's infuriating to waste 60 psi casting holy heal only to see your target cast regular heal.
-likewise, if you're in need of a boost (low health, for example) and the PPU is right there make sure they're not casting something on you before you run off!
-don't request buffs unless you intended to stay and let them be cast o_O

Dealing with the team:
-don't charge madly ahead! Stay within range of your team, so you all get the exp, and so the PPU can see if your health is dropping!
-don't beg to be let in the team - ask nicely once or twice, and then just tag along, and prove yourself a worthy addition to the team.
-if you log or leave the caves and don't plan to return, LEAVE THE TEAM.
-n00bs should not be in the caves. They won't get any exp and will waste a slot that a higher level player could use. Don't invite them. Try to keep the team more or less equal in rank.
-don't block a teammember's egress from the action... that split-second they have to push to get past could be the one the Soldier needs to fire the killing shot!
-especially don't run into the final room alone... fight your way to the entrance, otherwise your escape route could be blocked when the damage starts to mount!

http://www.energy.de/static/starschnitten/sophieellisbextor/02.jpg

Lexxuk
27-04-04, 03:09
didnt sophie just have a baby, 2 months early, by cesarian?

metalangel
27-04-04, 03:12
Yes, the poor sprog's been given the charmless name 'Sonny'. Why not just call him 'Derek' or 'Martin J' and guarantee him a life of torment?

Lexxuk
27-04-04, 03:13
good lord, u do of course realise he will end up with a chick called Cher?

metalangel
27-04-04, 03:15
I think you're mistaking 'ending up with a chick' for 'a life spent in railway museums taking pictures of steam engines'. In an anorak and a sleeveless cardigan.

Lexxuk
27-04-04, 03:23
whats wrong with my favourite hobby of flashing at people in the train stations? :confused:

metalangel
27-04-04, 03:24
Nothing wrong with that, but I make sure to do a wanking gesture at all the borderline elderly men I see standing at the end of the platform at Newport/Casnewydd when I'm on a train passing through. :D

http://homepages.enterprise.net/cavan/ysac/pics/logos/trainspo.gif

joran420
27-04-04, 03:27
hehe good...cept APU's should pretty much always barrel(its the melee tank who shouldnt go running into a barrell)

TWOK
27-04-04, 03:28
Funny and informative, well done :lol:

edit- btw i think ur head is deformed, but I'd still do yah!

Kenjuten
27-04-04, 03:29
@ joran, he already did his dissing of the berzerkers. :p

Oh, and finally, people other than the 2 up there. :D

Organics
27-04-04, 04:53
Nice stuff :)

Good to see some basic pointers. The sooner I change my APU from TT to a TG friendly faction the better :p

kurai
27-04-04, 04:58
Hrmmm.

Sophie Ellis Bumthing always looks like she's had her head in one of these. (http://www.thegadgetsource.com/080697483225.html)

Either that or she was a difficult forceps delivery and they used cricket bats.

P.S.: I still would, though :D

Organics
27-04-04, 05:03
Hrmmm.

Sophie Ellis Bumthing always looks like she's had her head in one of these. (http://www.thegadgetsource.com/080697483225.html)

Either that or she was a difficult forceps delivery and they used cricket bats.

P.S.: I still would, though :D

Rofl :D

Yeah, I would too ^^ Dam fit.

Ezekial Stone
27-04-04, 05:59
better yet, do it the real apu way...go alone...no team so you can barrel whever you want.

Nice stuff

Good to see some basic pointers. The sooner I change my APU from TT to a TG friendly faction the better

jump on that bandwagon.

]v[ortice
27-04-04, 08:37
Nice work.

There is actually another recent thread about this topic. It's quite explanatory aswell. Maybe someone could reference it with this one?

Here's an Idea...

Why doesn't KK make an NPC that will tell everyone what they need to know about the caves?

He could have plenty of questions programmed into him to answer the majority of n00bie queries?

Hell he could even be programmed to say...

"What? Come back When you reach Combat Rank 45 and stop wasting my time you n00b!"

:)

Original monk
27-04-04, 09:36
if yust all them stupid lowlevel melleetanks would stay the fuck outta there, and ffcourse every lowlevel of every other char ... then the APU's can barrel decently and the xp will flow :)

daamn nibs :D

ow: and for the guide, its a very complete guide that everyone should read before even entering those caves :) and always make sure to thank youre team and ppu when you leave for the great xp you have gained and for all the ppu-loving, respect :)

ezza
27-04-04, 09:47
if yust all them stupid lowlevel melleetanks would stay the fuck outta there, and ffcourse every lowlevel of every other char ... then the APU's can barrel decently and the xp will flow :)

daamn nibs :D

ow: and for the guide, its a very complete guide that everyone should read before even entering those caves :) and always make sure to thank youre team and ppu when you leave for the great xp you have gained and for all the ppu-loving, respect :)
yup those melee dudes piss me off.

meh i can solo the chaos caves for great XP on my tank, so dont bother me if the teams dead or alive :lol:

jernau
27-04-04, 09:55
Nice one Metal. Personally I prefer the APUs to be aggressive with the barrels if a) they can aim and b) the team aren't utter muppets.

IMO the big ones are :
1) Melee and noobs - You can level better elsewhere, please do so
2) Stay near the PPU especially if he's ressing (if you can't see him on local he gets no EXP and will not appreciate that)
3) Stay as far back as you can from the mobs so more people can target them properly and also so AoE users can do their jobs (again only if they can aim)
4) PPUs should try to keep Holy Heal running on as many people as possible all the time. DBing should only be done if there are spare PPUs or you know the team are 100% safe. If there are 2 PPUs they should agree roles before - eg one does heals and the other does DB and buffs. If there are 3 PPUs one needs to leave.

A couple of tips for APUs :
1) Never ever ever ever go 3rd person - everyone should know this but I still see it
2) If you are chain-casting a barrel remember the last shot will fire a second or two after you let the mouse-button go so wait after that before you duck into cover or you will frag yourself and your team.

Oh yeah and everyone needs to look out for unteamed 8/10 melee tanks. o_O

aKe`cj
27-04-04, 10:20
further hints for monkehs:

0. Your team...very important of course. 2x apu + 1 ppu are a good setup, if you are psi-capped already, consider taking a droner with you too (INT-gain).

1. Don't level at primetime when the caves are floated by melee-tanks, PEs and low-lvl chars (unless you ARE a low level monkeh of course :) ) ...they'll make barreling almost impossible for you (faster -SL gain than anything else)

2. Make sure you got a heavypoisonbelt (int 99 req ..maybe you need to use a neural-adv3 imp first), a lot of psi boosters and 2 medikits (in case the ppu fatals). APU spells: 1 HL / other "non-line-of-sight"-spell; 1 holy firestorm. PPU spells: good ressurect, sd, heal, heal-sanctum, hazard3, psi/melee booster (depends..if the apu's can cap their spells withou psi-boost, go for melee)

3. Make sure you are the only team in the cave

4. Make sure you have a Lieutnant-filled cave (if its either a soldier-run, or a vamp-spoiler ...leave the cave, wait a few secs and reenter until you get an LT-run)

5. PPU: Shelter the Lietnants / APU: use fire barrels extensivly (XP gain firestorm > energy barrel)...same with the queen, shelter it (but make sure you do not shelter soldiers..in that case its good to have a psi_attack2 for the apus)

6. repeat steps 3-5

make a few int-ups, shitloads of psi-ups ....be happy (and relativly rich)

;)

a hint to smaller apus/ppus:
don't go to the caves ...you will level a lot faster at elfarid village, by trapping the giant scorps in the pits down there...again, the ppu should shelter the them ...and the longer they live/spawn other creeps -> more xp

edit:
APUs: use 3rd person view extensivly ..thats what you've got your second spell with you for. you can much better make use of the cover, provided by, edges, steps etc pp.... but do not try to barrel in 3rd pers. view ...leave that to the pros or you will find yourself lying on the floor in no time :)

s0apy
27-04-04, 10:40
i know no one ever says this, it's like an unwritten rule, but seriously now, don't you really think that "caving" in a team with PPU gives ludicrously high XP, insanely quickly, all out of proportion to cost, effort or peril?

there was a thread recently, inviting folks to state their lowest capping/levelling times. obviously we had a few jokers willing to pretend they did a PE in 3 hours or so, but there were a number of people in there i really believed did a PE in a day or so, and a tank in 3 or so days, APU PSI in a week or less, and so on.

and, barring more blatant exploiting (NCPD, turrets abuse, etc), most if not all had spent the entire time in one of just 3 levelling spots in the entire game, killing the same mobs over and over. they might even have just stood at the back somewhere leeching while their other account PPUed.

does this really seem right? people keep asking for more content, more places to visit, more interesting mobs, more rares, but when all that is actually added to the game, one could almost believe everyone takes a quick look, says "meh", and goes back to the darkness with the same set of armour, PPU and AoE weapon of choice.

and this mentality of "it's just for us AoE tanks, barrelling APUs and PPUs, everyone else fook the hell off", kinda sets the seal on it really. there appears to be one reason, and one reason only, why AoE exists at all, and that's so that those chosen few who can use it can cap their chars in an eyeblink in the caves.

dang - that turned into a rant. ahh well.

ps. just to add to the guide as regards MC tanks. zapping the mobs and running around them like crazy while side-swiping them WILL actually significantly decrease the damage you take as opposed to just standing still in from of them. and for a solo MC tank, i would sadly have to disagree that there are better (i.e. faster) XP spots.

aKe`cj
27-04-04, 10:49
I'd say thats their own problem then. No one is forced to go there. I leveled my first chars in the sewers/storages ...and it took me a long, but fun, time.

Nowadays, I level the efficient way, because after 2 years you've seen it all and you do not enjoy leveling that much anymore. Apart from that, please try yourself to cap a monks INT without setting a foot in a step ..and please tell me how many month it took you.
I dont enjoy leveling that much anymore, thats why I try to level efficiently the few times I do push my INT a bit up, so I got more time, to see all the nice places.

jernau
27-04-04, 10:57
consider taking a droner with you too (INT-gain).
OMG not this crap again - IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT CLASS THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THE TEAM ARE.

Wrt spawns - I'm not convinced that waiting outside has any effect on what happens inside unless you wait 20 minutes for the server to de-load the map. It's impossible to test of course but I've seen no evidence that it makes a difference.

jernau
27-04-04, 11:13
i know no one ever says this, it's like an unwritten rule, but seriously now, don't you really think that "caving" in a team with PPU gives ludicrously high XP, insanely quickly, all out of proportion to cost, effort or peril?

there was a thread recently, inviting folks to state their lowest capping/levelling times. obviously we had a few jokers willing to pretend they did a PE in 3 hours or so, but there were a number of people in there i really believed did a PE in a day or so, and a tank in 3 or so days, APU PSI in a week or less, and so on.Depends on the character and the player. For most of my characters I try to level in as many places as possible to avoid boredom. On one or two I wanted to get to the high-end quickly and used the caves exclusively. You most definitely can cap monk PSI and tank STR in there in under a week but it's not a week of idle playing, you need to put in a lot of hours. I think players should get this choice and I for one would happily use any new caves/grounds KK add just for the change of scene.

and this mentality of "it's just for us AoE tanks, barrelling APUs and PPUs, everyone else fook the hell off", kinda sets the seal on it really. there appears to be one reason, and one reason only, why AoE exists at all, and that's so that those chosen few who can use it can cap their chars in an eyeblink in the caves.Well AoE pretty much sucks ass except for levelling in caves. I'm sure if it were more viable elsewhere people would use it.

and for a solo MC tank, i would sadly have to disagree that there are better (i.e. faster) XP spots.Fire-mobbing at a good spawn point (eg in front of Gaia) is at least as good for a tank. Solo it's FAR better because of INQ4. Get another tank or two and a PPU and it's better than almost any cave team you'll find.

n3m
27-04-04, 11:36
nice guide, now I wish ppl would just follow that.
I haven't been caving in a while now because I'm sick of the noobs storming in trying to catch EVERY shot you fire and when barrel theyre gonna look what those "purty" effects are. Leaving you with cyclops missions to get ur sl back up.
and yeah, Melee tanks = pain in the ass :mad:

If the cave is for pure xp, have the ppus to shelter the lieutenants, and barrel away

Original monk
27-04-04, 11:46
Well AoE pretty much sucks ass except for levelling in caves. I'm sure if it were more viable elsewhere people would use it.

i love aoe for barreling the first rooms of PP when there are about 20 people camping on that 2 by 2 area ...

you gotta watch out for the guards ffcourse cause they wont like you barreling that place all over :P but its certainly cool if you see all those nibs run around not knowing what the heck is happening when they see the stacks rising :P

i prefer holy firestorm or capped holy pestilance :) not that you gonna kill more or less people with it, its yust the psychological effect :) the panic :P

but 9 outta 10 everyone gonna start yelling what for a big lamer you are and such ... cause you attack everyone at the same time :/ friend and enemy ... but dont go telling me that its cool to camp those 2 by 2 area's with 10 people including PPU's yust so they can get lucky when someone gets stuck in synch ... and they had there easy kill ...

anyway: its fun to see em running away :) daamn zonecampers :)

Clownst0pper
27-04-04, 12:23
For melee berserker types:
-don't go caving! Seriously, you just get in the way. :D
-okay, fine, but stay out of the line of fire. You have to get up close, obviously, but there's a good half dozen or so people behind you who can't very well shoot through you. Move to the side or something.
-stand still! Granted you have to keep the mob within range as you chop at it, but running around like a headless retard will throw off other's people aim when you get too close to their reticule.

All u have to do is give a melee tank a shelter, and they are perfectly fine to go and kill and dance in the barrels, any tank with half a good con setup can do it, hell I even did it with no armour on to cap my con.

I smell discrimination! :p

And in regards to the rest of the classes.

APU's give the xp, then AOE tanks. If ur in my way in the caves I will barrel, If your too low ill kill u, if you die because u feel the need as a judge user to kill the lietenant deep inside the cave, u dont deserve to be rezzed! :rolleyes: :lol:

The way I see it caves have 3 levels.

TG caves = Noob Caves, First timers.

CRP caves = Intermidate, they are aware of basic barreling and killing techniques but havnt yet mastered it.

Catlock caves = Advanced level, No gogo's or shops, very quiet, for those who are 100% hardcore xping who know how to shelter Lieutenants and barrel perfectly.

rob444
27-04-04, 12:57
I was a melee tank and neither did I or anyone else have trouble with me in the front.

metalangel
27-04-04, 13:29
Well yeah, the reason the TG cave is for n00bs is because there's no boss, and John Q Idiot can just wander in and start levelling. Going to CRP or Catlock requires a bit more commitment (organizing a team) and therefore you're not likely to have random 23/27 tanks wandering in and demanding a team, you bunch of fagots. :rolleyes:

I think part of my dislike for melee tanks is the stupid gormless expression on their bearded face (always the bearded face! Why do all tank players play as the goatee guy??) as they run hunched over, ape-like, hacking at everything and getting barreled and demanding heals every 10 seconds.

extract
27-04-04, 14:06
For PPUs:
-don't start rezzing a fallen person when the rest of the team is locked in combat. They need you to keep their buffs and health up - neglect them now and in 30 seconds you'll have two more people to rezz. Once the local area is clear, start to rezz.

too fucking true, many times Ive had to remind noob PPUs that this is as retarded of a method as can be, we could sometimes be getting our asses pummeled yet the PPU is afk with his rezz runnin....rezz people last, Ive gone in there with my noob spy no armor, no resists and still could finish a cave run without dying....people die cause they get stupid....

the only thing I think you left out is:

-run holy heal sanctum at all times....people just dont realize how much this actually does help, and secondly leave holy heal at home, bring holy heal group, it takes more mana, but u can heal like 10 people in one cast as opposed to several casts....

metalangel
27-04-04, 14:16
Good points... last night I was in the cave with my spy and the PPU (and not a low level one, one with PA and high lvl spells) died standing there like a fool trying to rezz someone while the team died around them.

Mr_Snow
27-04-04, 16:11
PPUs arent needed for caves except for maybe apus and some of them can solo but for the rest its a bonus, after the first room its piss easy unless you do something stupid, well you cant really kill the queen easily unless your an AE class but the rest is piss easy.

Strych9
27-04-04, 16:22
I had a big thread on this exact subject. Lemme see if I can find it...

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=93596

extract
27-04-04, 17:21
PPUs arent needed for caves except for maybe apus and some of them can solo but for the rest its a bonus, after the first room its piss easy unless you do something stupid, well you cant really kill the queen easily unless your an AE class but the rest is piss easy.

you are absolutely right, however you solo the cave alone at crp, Ill go to catlock with a PPU, I garuntee you I clear it 10 times to ur one.......that is what a PPU is good for in caves, speed=lots of XP.....

Archeus
27-04-04, 18:36
from experience of PPU'ing in the caves.

#1. When you are rezz'ed you have no buffs. Getting instantly rezzed isn't a sign to go running straight into the pile of mobs that just killed you.

#2. If you see a PPU rezzing don't bloody run over to the PPU and ask for buffs, especially if you have brought half the population of the cave with you. You will die, then the PPU will have to break Rez.

#3. Despite what you might believe, monks have to aim. Dancing around like a blue ass fly screaming "Heal! HEAL!!" is all well and good but don't expect to get a heal easy.

#4. There is a point in your team when Rezzing becomes the priority. If there are 3 or 4 people dead then you should hold your position and let them get rezzed. It stops them getting pissed off waiting, gets you more XP and improves your chances of survival.

bring holy heal group, it takes more mana, but u can heal like 10 people in one cast as opposed to several casts....

It used to (don't know if it still does) heal the monsters as well. You want to make friends, nothing says it more then holy healing the mobs the people are attacking. A pure PPU can keep holy heal running for a while.

Omnituens
27-04-04, 20:46
some good points, but i have this to say

- APUs should have priority damage. they can do more damage than any other class and there for be allowed to barrel at any point, they shouldnt have to wait.

- You say PPUs are god. i say balls to that, a PPU isnt required for the chaos caves.

Archeus
27-04-04, 21:22
- You say PPUs are god. i say balls to that, a PPU isnt required for the chaos caves.

Speed. You can clean a cave quicker with a ppu. Clean quicker = more XP/cash.

jernau
27-04-04, 21:37
Speed. You can clean a cave quicker with a ppu. Clean quicker = more XP/cash.
Yeah, come on, who does 20-30 cave runs in a day for fun. You want to get it done as quick as possible and that means a PPU. Doing it a few times solo for the challenge is fun but it's a different goal.

Omnituens
27-04-04, 22:42
who said anything about solo? a team without a PPU can still do the caves.

Organics
27-04-04, 22:59
I think part of my dislike for melee tanks is the stupid gormless expression on their bearded face (always the bearded face! Why do all tank players play as the goatee guy??) as they run hunched over, ape-like, hacking at everything and getting barreled and demanding heals every 10 seconds.

Ahhhhhhhhh lmao lmao lmao omg lol I'm fucking pissing myself here... gg gg gg lolololol

I agree totally, it looks so fucking stupid watching them hack away mindlessly, I guess it's cos it's the same expression on their face all the time.. :lol: :lol:

Which is why I never use 3rd person for my Melee tank.. lmao...

lol god everytime I read over that paragraph I start laughing again :D If I didn't already have a sig..... Well, that'd be it... lol..

Nice additions to the guide btw guys, thx :)

(edit: ok had to use it for the sig... lmaoooooo)

jernau
28-04-04, 01:50
who said anything about solo? a team without a PPU can still do the caves.
Fair enough but it's still quicker with a good PPU.

Reewinder
28-04-04, 02:01
yes everyone loves to scream for heals/buffs then run away the second you start casting... o_O

also metal angel = american? 8|

jernau
28-04-04, 02:12
yes everyone loves to scream for heals/buffs then run away the second you start casting... o_O

also metal angel = american? 8|
Canadian, currently living in the UK I think. Why?

Reewinder
28-04-04, 03:03
Canadian, currently living in the UK I think. Why?

MA loves when people ask "are you american?" ;)

kinda like how people like getting tax audits or bills in the mail!

Forget My Name
28-04-04, 06:27
Leave the Lieutenant alone. Why do people insist on killing these first?

They are the spawners. The onl ything you do by killing these -without just cause- is ensuring you'll be getting the wonderful Bat run..

shudders.....

metalangel
28-04-04, 12:58
Well, I *did* say leave the Lieutenant if you're trying to milk maximum XP... otherwise, kill the bastard first! Given this was mostly a guide addressed to n00bs I was trying to convey that if you're starting to lose the fight, kill the Lieutenant to retake the offensive.

Also, not everyone can solo the caves, so the PPU is god... besides, you might have a little accident with lag or an FRE and die, and you'll be glad of the PPU.

Archeus, you're absolutely right with all four of those. I adore people who get Haz and then run away as your frantically try to cast a weapon buff or something on them.

Omnituens, yes, barrelling can be a good thing, but given the majority of APUs I've run across can't aim the damn things I figured to make them a point of contention.

Organics, :D

Mr_Snow
28-04-04, 13:23
Depends on how good a ppu is as to whether he is an asset to the team or not. People have a tendency to think that if they have a ppu that they wont die but they do if the ppu sucks but if you dont have a ppu you are more careful and much more unlikely to die because you know you wont be ressed.

Speaking from a ppu point of view and as a melee tank, I find that class to be fairly good in caves and are useful to run up to leuitenants and kill them farily easily and damage soak for the rest of the team, its just a matter of them knowing when to run back to cover and get healed up again, which they dont exactly need ppu heals for but they are handy.

The only major problem in caves are lowbies coming along expecting to be babysitted and perma-nibs who have nearly capped but still dont have a clue how to cave properly. Being a good caver is just plain common sense which an awful lot of people seem to lack.

Forget My Name
28-04-04, 15:55
Ah, metal, you did say that about the lieutenants, I am sorry. I didn't mean to critisize your post without understanding it. Sorry about that.

Just make the fact that you leave Lieutenants alone during runs more appperant, cuz everyone , even during exp runs, needs to be educated enough not to kill these.

spongeb0b
28-04-04, 16:11
my only tank is mellee and i must say... DONT GO CAVING WITH A MELLEE TANK!!!!! seriously you lvl faster solo on firemobs :) (well i did) and the caves are just too cramped for it...

t-bird
28-04-04, 16:12
-wear a poison belt. Duh. right
-bring enough ammo to last several runs! right
-unless you're specifically trying to milk the run for all it's worth, KILL THE LIEUTENANTS FIRST. false - cast shelter to the Leutnant, don't attack him, then attack all mobs with area-weapons
-don't damage boost everything - save it for lieutenants, soldiers, or any mob that's proving hard to kill. Always boost bats, because they're fucking annoying things. false - no damage boost for leutnants, only db for the small-mobs
-parashock bats too, to expedite their demise. false - Parashock to the Leutnant!

SypH
28-04-04, 16:15
I love the LT. I like to keep his alive as long as possible. Lots of sexy XP for my droner:D

spongeb0b
28-04-04, 16:15
what does expedite their demise mean? o_O
can't you use slobish english like "fuck them up"?

Omnituens
28-04-04, 16:28
MA loves when people ask "are you american?" ;)just like i like getting asked by americans if im austrailian when i use the mic in HL :confused:

Strych9
28-04-04, 16:48
Its funny seeing people get so defensive about the Lieut.

MA SAID that "unless you are milking the run for experience" kill them first. And everyone has responded with "no way, leave them alive... better experience."

Look, if you are soloing the caves, or even teaming the caves with a less than capable team, the Lieutenants CAN cause problems if kept alive. While levelling up mid level characters, on MANY occasions I have seen teams be pushed back/pushed out of the cave/totally killed off due to rapid lieutenant spawning.

So while many of you are fond of the lieutenant, you should still qualify your claims. Yes, if you are milking exp... and yes, if you are capable of dealing with the lieutenant and its spawn for long periods of time... then dont kill it. But as general advice, I see nothing wrong with saying it as MA said it.

Keeping the lieutenant is fine, but if you have a team of say you, a few pistol PEs, and some newb PPUs (newb to the caves) then a single lieutenant can really cause problems.

metalangel
28-04-04, 17:57
Heheh Spongebob, I should stop using words like 'penultimate' and 'expedite' around here, clearly too advanced. I'll say 'fuck their shit up' from now on.

T-bird, read my post again, and pay more attention, you've missed my points.

I quite clearly said 'UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET THE MAXIMUM XP, kill the lieutenant first'. That therefore means you'd damageboost the lieutenant if you're trying to complete the run as quickly as possible, do you see?

Also, what's wrong with parashocking the bats? Makes 'em easier to hit!

t-bird
28-04-04, 18:26
Heheh Spongebob, I should stop using words like 'penultimate' and 'expedite' around here, clearly too advanced. I'll say 'fuck their shit up' from now on.

I quite clearly said 'UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET THE MAXIMUM XP, kill the lieutenant first'. That therefore means you'd damageboost the lieutenant if you're trying to complete the run as quickly as possible, do you see?

Sry, i fly over english written text, i'm a very lazy translator. :angel:
But with noob PPU's too, you can kill the leutnant at last and get the maximum exp. ;)

Dead Bodies
28-04-04, 23:49
1. Your Guide rocks everything u say goes through my head every time i'm in the cave especialy * DO NOT BARREL WHEN U SEE YOUR WHOLE TEAM UP CLOSE ON THE MOBS IT'S JUST FUCKIGN STUPID*

2. Chicks that play neocron are HOT!!!

3. Everyone else who dosent agree with it in my opinion has not caved for days on end.

4. Unless absoutley necessary noobs and melee tanks (melee pe's too) should lvl elsewhere....

5. Viva la Twlight Guardian!!!

Heheh Spongebob, I should stop using words
like 'penultimate' and 'expedite' around here, clearly too advanced. I'll say 'fuck their shit up' from now on.

SmackDaddy
29-04-04, 02:00
Well not a complete noob as my chars are in the mid 30s, but never been caving so that makes me a noob in this thread, by definition. I have read many times that noobs should stay away from the caves, and also that the caves near TG are easiest. So my question is, do the experts opine that me and a couple other similar chars could level in the TG caves without dying too often? Those launchers are getting kinda boring... Oh yeah, mostly only get on late evening west coast US so we won't stand in your barrels, if you happen to be in the TG caves on Uranus...

Fantastic info MA, thanks for starting the thread. And I love your sig, plz increase the dwell time, I'm getting dizzy trying to read the captions... ;)

Dead Bodies
29-04-04, 02:42
Okay The thing is no noobs in an already exsisting team.. if u get some mid lvl guys and a mid lvl ppu alll your lvl and YOUR TEAM starts the cave run's the cave is yours untill the team breaks apart... but if a team is already exsisting no its best to stay away... :)

Well not a complete noob as my chars are in the mid 30s, but never been caving so that makes me a noob in this thread, by definition. I have read many times that noobs should stay away from the caves, and also that the caves near TG are easiest. So my question is, do the experts opine that me and a couple other similar chars could level in the TG caves without dying too often? Those launchers are getting kinda boring... Oh yeah, mostly only get on late evening west coast US so we won't stand in your barrels, if you happen to be in the TG caves on Uranus...

Fantastic info MA, thanks for starting the thread. And I love your sig, plz increase the dwell time, I'm getting dizzy trying to read the captions... ;)

Shadow Dancer
29-04-04, 02:56
Dead bodies, incase you didn't know, Metalangel is not a "chick". He's a guy. ;)

Kenjuten
29-04-04, 03:20
Dead bodies, incase you didn't know, Metalangel is not a "chick". He's a guy. ;)
Makes me wonder who's the better roleplayers sometimes -- those that play like a girl, or those that believe all girls online are girls. :D

Dead Bodies
29-04-04, 05:04
Aww crap i feel like dumbass.. crap *smack head against computer desk* the picture on the bottom threw me off.. *Sigh* i will just drop out of this convo .... *smacks head again* Stupid stupid stupid

Makes me wonder who's the better roleplayers sometimes -- those that play like a girl, or those that believe all girls online are girls. :D

Shadow Dancer
29-04-04, 05:15
Hehe don't be so hard on yourself dead. More people make that mistake than you think. :p

HumphreY
29-04-04, 05:27
Hm has anyone mentioned the following?

- Whenever possible kneel down while shooting. Heal lasts almost double the time when you are kneeling. Your ppu will be grateful for the extra time.

Btw. as a ppu, I always have my S/D up when i'm supporting. Call me paranoid, but that saved my ass from wannabe cave PKs multiple times.

:angel:

Kenjuten
29-04-04, 14:44
- Whenever possible kneel down while shooting. Heal lasts almost double the time when you are kneeling. Your ppu will be grateful for the extra time.
Interesting..never knew this. I find it hard to do when I don't have psi boosters on a monk tho, cuz the PSI pool recharges slower when kneeling.

It also recharges faster when you don't have anything active on your QB. O_o

kurai
29-04-04, 23:31
All "timer" stack effects are extended by kneeling ...
drugs, damage boost, poison, fire, stealthing, parashock, buffs, heals etc etc.

The exact increase is 1.5x

metalangel
30-04-04, 13:39
I knew there was *some* effect, I didn't realize that's what it was. Thanks, Kurai.

Reewinder
01-05-04, 07:01

girls play video games?!

but seriously, ive met maybe SIX people online claiming to be girls that actually ARE girls

at most six.

Agent L
01-05-04, 11:43
yeah, kill lieutnants if you don't want xp. but.. if you don't come for xp, what did you came for? chitin ? I know there are seldom situations when lieutenant can be dangerous, but killing them is too common error to even mention such possibility. : )

Good meele tanks totally rocks in caves, with bit psr, FH, viperking, haz3 and heal running meele tank is completly invulnerable to mobs and draws almost all mobs aggro leaving rest of the team safe and requiring next to no ppu attention.
When aoes can decide if they'll use fire or energy, wearing correct armor will also help much.
So if you dont want more CON xp than you can handle stop bitching at meeles : P