PDA

View Full Version : what made YOU play NC?

Ryuben
26-04-04, 18:13
for me it was teh Offline demo, the one where u build ur own rocket launcher.

man that was cool :D when they said rares in retail i imagined that

welll after that it was a friend or 2 in beta and i got it like i think since almost after retail....

so what was it for you that made you pick up the game.

HatchetRyda
26-04-04, 18:20
Well I was walking down the street and Pacman came down the road eating white dots and I was like "Hey Pacman" and he said "Yeah?" I pulled out a Cursed Soul and start shooting him, he stealthed off and ate one of those big white dots and I turned blue and he ate me and all was left my eyes.

Oh, I decided to play Neocron cause of my step brother..

Serpent
26-04-04, 18:21
my cousin..... DAMN HIM :p

Clownst0pper
26-04-04, 18:25
It was the demo, and also the game when it was first released, I saw it round at a friends, and it blew me away.

It was so different to everything else, so dark and gritty, everything was fresh, new, and if i dare say, Scarey!

Obviously with all new online games u get this feeling, but this was different, it was exciting, and I bought it the same hour, and we played it together.

GO KAOLIN GO! :D

Heavyporker
26-04-04, 18:28
I stumbled on the Neocron.com site about, what, three years ago.. the first time I saw it I was mildly intrigued, and forgot it.

Then two years ago I stumble upon it again, and somehow, I just got more interested... that was when i read the Neocron storyline, I think, and then I read about PSI Monk powers and I got so interested... you know, that was when PSI Monks supposedly had the ability to turn invisible and teleport and levitiate/fly... *sigh* teleportation would be too fecking cool... leviation would just kick so much ass... *sigh*

Then the forums came out and I started following it... (that was about like one or two months before NC went retail.. I bought NC when it got released in America, then over my winter break I started NC up.... and I haven't looked back... I started so alone.. so alone... I started out as CA... tagged that Plaza Center GR first thing when I came down from my apt... I figured out the nav-ray and went to the CityAdmin HQ to get my first delivery missions because the the introduction email said it was the safest thing to do... did a few, doing all around Plaza and Via Rosso... then I started killing a couple rats with my bolt... You know, it was like FOUR MONTHS before I even figured out I could go OUT of the CITY?! That was when shadowblade (I think) took me to MB in his APC... that was so cool... *snif*

I think I wanna sit down, get a big drink, and cry over my memories.

Clownst0pper
26-04-04, 18:33
A friend called Saul, local cyber geek in the next village over, well he has major industry sources, even when he was in year 9 at secondry with me.

And he put me on the web site, and I kinda tracked it for afew years, then stopped, and bought it retail.

Aziraphale
26-04-04, 18:33
The article in PCGAMER got me salivating over it, I eagerly awaited a playable demo, and when it came out I played it several times over.
Then one day I saw the open beta on a disc for PCFORMAT, bought it, loooooooooved it.
Beta ends, me = sad.
2 years later, read a post on the pcgamer forum (by MetalAngel I think) and got reminiscing, decided to play retail.
Loooooooved it.

Getting a bit stale now, maybe I need a break, which is handy, as my GCSE's are right round the corner.

Oath
26-04-04, 18:35
Followed it loosely through beta, though never played, then got it about a month after retail or there abouts.

Played it coz i was big on Rpg's and the cyberpunk MMORPG appealed, havent found any other game i really liked since i played cron.

JiNxY
26-04-04, 18:38
i was at uni, and a friend of a friend showed me the neocron website, because he wanted to work for KK on his year out in industry...
maybe he still plays neocron, maybe he works for KK now, who knows!
his name was christophe if i remember correctly, Andy's friend :P

anyway it looked interesting, but at the time i was still a keen CS player and didn't want another game, so i thought no more about it, until some of the #FA.CS guys started playing it and it peaked my interest

et voila! here i am

sex monkeh

Goa'uld
26-04-04, 18:39
Hehe, it would have the be the Game Pad 3 Preview, it looked so 8| :eek:

Scikar
26-04-04, 18:49
PCGAMER put the offline demo on their coverdisks, it didn't impress me all that much but my bro enjoyed it. When it went retail he bought it, I made a char on one of his slots on Saturn to try it out and got hooked, eventually I kicked him off the account and took it for myself, and made him get a new one. :D

metalangel
26-04-04, 18:52
Hummmmm I read about it in PCGamer, with MJS leaning towards the camera, and it seemed cool, the description of the world wasn't that great (it implied, I felt, the world was completely empty except for TH and NC) but then they had a Diary of one of the guys playing it and ambushing another clan in the canyons, or something.

Then some guys in an IRC room began playing in Beta and, as it was free, I decided to try it.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Argent
26-04-04, 18:55
I heard about it somewhere then looked into it and noticed it was cool cyberpunk theme. Applied to beta immediately when it was possible (never got in, dam yoo kk).

DeanVee
26-04-04, 19:00
Randomly found a retail box in an eb. Thought it looked cool, was looking for a new mmo.
It turned out to be a return and someone had already used the cd key. Took it back, eventually they got another one in.

steweygrrr
26-04-04, 19:04
4 little words.... "you should try this....."
My mate (stebedford, now head of Rangers on Uranus) got me hooked with a story of an opwar at Jeriko involving stealthers and tanks and big guns and self constructed rare weapons.....I was in love ^^

jiga
26-04-04, 19:07
same here

Lexxuk
26-04-04, 19:07
It was the Beta 4 on some DVD, it was, free, so, i played it cause I didnt have to pay for it :p

SypH
26-04-04, 19:19
There was a copy in work and I'd been wanting to try a MMO game. Read the back and foud=nd out it had strippers. Sold it for me;)

funkeymonkey
26-04-04, 19:21
I had a mate called jimbo in the rtcw (return to castel wolfenstein) clan i was in for ages, he got a few of the rest of us into playing beta 4 and showed us around and that. He eventually played on pluto under the name Eckel. Then when retail came out I quit as i was a cheap bastard and 2 of my other mates in the clan stoped playing rtcw and moved to neocron with him and started as tg on pluto, they were called Avit and LineEmUp.

I was still well into my rtcw clan matches and went to intel masters lan and all that stuff, then formed a more sucsessful clan called Zeta.

I was watching game pad one day on bravo before I left for college and decided to come back :)

slaughteruall
26-04-04, 19:28
I had a good freind the i played D2:LOD with that was in beta. I downloaded the demo and loved it. Bought it as soon as i could find it state side. Could not find it here in maine had to wait untill i went to california on vacation. Sadly he left shortly after i got in if i remember right his name was natel "somthing"

Slaughter

Dru Blood
26-04-04, 19:45
i was forced into it, all my friends played it, now im the only one still playing and i still love it, i whine alot but it doesnt stop me playing.

Forget My Name
26-04-04, 19:54
The shadowrun feel to the game.... The adult themes and atmosphere...

until I played the game...

Buggier than Shadowrun played with 6 drunk players and adult atmosphere? Ha... That feeling went away after I logged on for the first time and realised the maturity level of most of it's player base barely reaches above 12.

newver touched the offline demo.

jerrymaguire
26-04-04, 19:55
I played the off-line demo, where you are John Parker and you have to make yur way to the taxi term where TG are fighting Copbots.

I thought it was bloody brilliant. But after playing NC for so long now, I think the demo was misleading, probably because I was not interacting with other players, just the NPCs.

hivemind
26-04-04, 20:02
The blurb on Penny-Arcade got me to look at it.

Sounded perfect. FPS with stats and items.

Sold me.

Then I began the two week dance to get the local EB to stock it...

John_Ravenhawk
26-04-04, 20:08
I saw a comic called PVP doing a series of panels of it..
I really loved the cyberpunk genre.. I started watching and reading
a bunch of Cyberpunk based books and just had to jack in.

I will never leave again..

shodanjr_gr
26-04-04, 20:58
REmember the retail box? It had a pic on the back with 2 PA Tanks welding TPCs standing next to a rhino in what apperead to be a lush jungle.

The wonders of Photoshop :)

Vid Gamer
26-04-04, 21:00
I forgot how I found the site out, but I was looking for a new MMORPG and found this site and downloaded Beta 4. I had a TT Tank who used a pistol (lol) and thought the concept was awesome but I was a very confused n00b and left.

I then for some reason decided to buy the game when it came out and once I started to know what to do I got hooked. :D

Bl@zed
26-04-04, 21:00
that spiffy flash movie CDV made to promote neocron!!

JK
JK
JK
JK
JK!! :p

SirRah
26-04-04, 21:04
QuantumDelta.

40$Poser
26-04-04, 21:05
watching my brother play this game constantly for the first few months he got it...

Dribble Joy
26-04-04, 21:08
The blurb on Penny-Arcade got me to look at it.

Sounded perfect. FPS with stats and items.

Sold me.

Then I began the two week dance to get the local EB to stock it...

Same here, PA randomly mentioned it, I followed the link andstarted playing, I think I bought the only copy my local GAME ever had in it.

MrChumble
26-04-04, 21:11
Some of my mates from my CS clan (CIX CS) played, and got me into it. They promptly quit but I was hooked. Almost quit just before I joined BRTF who actually had players who knew how to play (and voice comms!) which added a lot of new life to the game for me.

RuButt
26-04-04, 21:49
beta got me and itth into it

naimex
26-04-04, 21:56
me bro bought the game, and came home..

after a week I had my own chars on uranus..

and I´ve been here ever since

j0rz
26-04-04, 22:00
Was Dru blood that got me into the game so every time i kill u you can blame him for introducing me into the game and you can blame cybird for making me a pker as he was the one that took me to the darkside :angel:

if you dont like it tuff soon as im better im going to pk most of u for the hell of it muwahahah *cackle* :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

deac
26-04-04, 22:03
apoc style and the fallout comunity talked about it and we played open beta then moved here.......

Shadow Dancer
26-04-04, 22:11
I had money, saw it in a store. And thought "wow a fps/rpg futuristic mmorpg, never saw that before". Then I bought it. :p

MrChumble
26-04-04, 22:14
I had money, saw it in a store. And thought "wow a fps/rpg futuristic mmorpg, never saw that before". Then I bought it. :p

Which store? They have a lot to answer for :p

Shadow Dancer
26-04-04, 22:17
rofl

Electronics Boutique

Saza
26-04-04, 22:19
My bro (aka Dmitrij Volkov) saw beta in PC Gamer mag, so we got on to it along with Rambo and Jimbo. Jimbo couldn't afford retail, and my bro went SW:G the bastard :P, so it's just me and Rambo.

mystery8
26-04-04, 23:12
Two of my friends were talking about it and trying to get in to Beta 3, around early 2002. I wasn't terribly interested as at that point I avoided those scary "MMORPG" things. After seeing some screenshots though and hearing stories I got interested and played the Offline Demo and Beta 4.

I never intended to get hooked. I kept telling myself "Nah, I'll only be playing this a little bit. A few days at most. I mean, I'd never actually pay for one of those MMORPG games, never..."

And yet, here I am.... :D

MrChumble
26-04-04, 23:48
I never intended to get hooked. I kept telling myself "Nah, I'll only be playing this a little bit. A few days at most. I mean, I'd never actually pay for one of those MMORPG games, never..."

And yet, here I am.... :D

Been there :lol:

Now I just tell myself..."Neocron is the first and last MMORPG I'll ever play." :D

Kenjuten
27-04-04, 00:13
When a certain MMORPG was downed for a while, me and my friends looked around for random shit to do. We happened upon Neocron and played in Beta4 until Retail.

None of my old friends are with me ingame, but after deciding I wouldn't play said MMORPG again I came here. :D

darknessfairy
27-04-04, 00:44
My other half, Spongebob, i figured it was the only way i'd ever get to speak to him, without pulling the plug on his computer and eating it. So i started to play.

Sometimes i think im more obsessed than he is....For example, the first thing i think when i wake up in the morning is "need to level [insert name of current nib]" ... i think he just thinks "sex ?"

Lol sorry, but thats my explanation of it all. Without him, you wouldnt have a sexy female playing the game. So praise Bob. "hip hip....."

edit: just noticed i have made 400 posts. im sure i hadnt gone much past 100....i post more than i think...

Kenjuten
27-04-04, 00:45
heh

Makes me wonder how Bob himself got started. :p

darknessfairy
27-04-04, 00:48
thru a friend. he played beta, bob saw it, bob played the end of beta 4, then went straight into retail ... the rest you all know.

plague
27-04-04, 01:06
me buddy showed me teh beta lol couldn't stop playing since then it possessed my fragile little mind....Now look what happend *points at avatar* it's real......... muahaha

stebedford
27-04-04, 01:42
4 little words.... "you should try this....."
My mate (stebedford, now head of Rangers on Uranus) got me hooked with a story of an opwar at Jeriko involving stealthers and tanks and big guns and self constructed rare weapons.....I was in love ^^

LMAO...HAHAHA, sorry stew :D

I started playing after I saw it on game pad 3, it looked sooooo cool, I then got the first demo and then started playing the beta

Girian
27-04-04, 01:46
One day I received an envelope from CDV with the game... Preview-copy, about which I had completely forgotten :) Started playing in 2002 and still going

IceStorm
27-04-04, 01:51
A few friends of mine who play EQ had noted a new MMO coming that was SciFi. That it was also FPS combat was just want I wanted. We all signed up for Beta, but I was the only one who got into Beta 2. After that, I was hooked.

manderf
27-04-04, 02:35
god damn zonevortex forced me too!!

Jake Cutter
27-04-04, 06:20
A good friend of mine introduced me to the game. We played it for the last six weeks of Beta4...then went insane as the USA release was delayed :eek:

I love the atmosphere of Neocron. That's what brought me to the table, and has kept me there. 'nuff said.

Regards,
Jake Cutter

StryfeX
27-04-04, 07:28
I found out about the game... Oh hell, I don't remember. I played beta 4 as a clueless rifle/melee tank, joined the Saiyan clan (which was probably the best decision I've ever made ingame :p) then whined and moned when beta ended. As for retail, a friend bought the UK edition it for me as I didn't have a CC (yes, we were ALL hooked :lol: ) and that's how I got into retail. Blame them. :p

--Stryfe

kbmg
27-04-04, 07:34
A friend of my husband's was trying to get my husband into neocron and tried telling me about it. I had never tried a mmporg before and tried the beta... i proceeded to get my husband hooked.

Hayato
27-04-04, 07:43
a old clan member from EverQuest msg me on msn one day telling me about this game i bought the game but then started palying BF1942 alot then one day i put it in a click on Pluto the rest was history...... bad bad bad history :D

cMz
27-04-04, 10:05
A friend showed me the demovideo that was out when Beta 1 started. I applied for next beta fase and got in :-)

Testet in Beta 2, 3 and 4. Stopped for 3-4 months after retail. Started again in January 2002 and have been running around since.

Jeros82
27-04-04, 10:43
Guess I only have Generic, Maarten and BramTops to blame. Everone was talking about MMORPG's and at first I was like 'yeah whatever' and on a sudden evening I was like, ok let me try...

So I bought an account and started my first PSI Monk and now I'm still addicted 8|

winnoc
27-04-04, 10:45
Played america's army for a while and some other online FPS games.
Then i saw some website on MMORPG's, read it and thoought wow cool!
I wondered if there was any games i wnated to play, so i checked some goole results and came up with some space thing with you being in a ship where you could go mining etc.... forgot the name, but it is being closed in september, i just played the free trial and then quit.

Then i ended up on mmorpg.com and started reading up on all the scifi games.
I bought neocron because of the low price and the nice content, i think this must be the best price quality game in it's genre.

Started somewhere in november on jupiter with a PE who'm i fucked up till level **/14 then i went to saturn and started out with a spy, gradualy learning more and more and loving it more and more.

]v[ortice
27-04-04, 11:18
My old Tribes 2 mates stopped playing tribes for this wierd and wonderful MMORPG that was in beta.

After 7 attempts at downloading the damn beta client I finally got it to work.

I couldn't believe I was playing Deus EX online with other people. What a rush... this game was awesome.

It's not much like Deus EX anymore... but still my number one game and I rarely play any others... all since August 2002 :)

hinch
27-04-04, 12:04
i was at uni, and a friend of a friend showed me the neocron website, because he wanted to work for KK on his year out in industry...
maybe he still plays neocron, maybe he works for KK now, who knows!
his name was christophe if i remember correctly, Andy's friend :P

anyway it looked interesting, but at the time i was still a keen CS player and didn't want another game, so i thought no more about it, until some of the #FA.CS guys started playing it and it peaked my interest

et voila! here i am

sex monkeh

sex jinxeh :)

btw your better at cs than nc :)

VetteroX
27-04-04, 12:54
Freind got me to download the demo by saying "its FPS style, you can pvp, and level and collect items" sounded good, tried beta 4, got hooked. I was kinda looking for a game where you could level and pvp, and neocron is just that.

Brammers
27-04-04, 19:40
I first saw NC in Beta when two of my friends in Bristol was playing it. It was just the shear scale of it all that took me back.

Then I moved to Bristol, and on the way to work there would be a lot of Necron talk. As soon as retail came out in the UK (December 2002), I picked up a copy.

Organics
27-04-04, 19:54
Originally saw the preview in an old issue of PC Zone. But thought "Bah I'll never be able to play that without broadband internet"

Then I played the demo and was like, whoa this is fucking COOL :D So I signed up, and been here ever since ^^

*Dazz*
27-04-04, 20:07
*--(GRIM)--* made me play beta.....DAMN HIM!! :p

hegemonic
27-04-04, 21:48
My friend told me and my wife about the game... then for Christmas 2002, my mother-in-law bought me the game.

What kept me in-game is friends and enemies.

MegaCorp
27-04-04, 21:53
I was between games. Picked up Neocron to see what it was like, even though the box art was kinda crappy. What kept me playing was the melding of FPS with MMORPG.

Spook

Des
28-04-04, 13:12
Played Shadowrun for a long time and just rEALLY like anything post apocalyptic. SO here is NC the only game that comes close to what I want!

Falen
28-04-04, 13:23
looking for xmas presents a year back came across this looked something like some "deus ex" game which my brother enjoyed very much got it for him he played about a month told me it required the skill of a lobotomized squirrel with one leg to play so i thought damn i got a chance started off slow enough once a week 2 times a week 17 hours a day and breaking bones so i had a reason to play it all day..... damn game =)

SjanTeN^
28-04-04, 13:26
Tried the beta 4 at a friend, that was the time i fell in love with NC, after the beta i bought it, then there was a lot of payment failures, so i forgot about it, then i remmberd Dome of york, so i read a couple of interviews etc. then i just had to have a char. for DOY. :-)

garyu69
28-04-04, 13:29
I played NC because i got sent the Game to review for a Games site that i worked on.

Fafhrd
28-04-04, 13:45
Seen at guy mentioning Neocron a Diablo2 forum. Said something about no orcs or magic. That made me curious and I found myself looking for information about NC on the internet. Got the game and liked it.

t-bird
28-04-04, 14:55
My story:

A schoolmate show me the game. I was so fascinated about that game, i gone into the next shop to buy this game.

Then i showed my flatmate the game. First he asked me why i play a game with monthly costs. I gave him a charslot at uranus to test the game. Then 2-3 months later he and one more friend bought this game too. Then the next friend, then the next, and so on ...

Now w're a group of 6 friends playing NC :) and two mates vends their accounts :( . All of them playing on Jupiter (BlacK HanD) and Uranus (RAF).

MkVenner
28-04-04, 14:57
I wanted to play NC since it went retail but back then i had to settle for free games coz i had no income, first thing i did on the first day i got payed was setup a NC account.

I saw it in a PC Gamer issue and was like omg this looks sweet