PDA

View Full Version : Eve reached 10396 users online today

Celt
25-04-04, 22:42
10400 users, last week was 9600, week before was less, has been steadily increasing for 6 months, with special trials, advertising to users of other MMO's(e&b for example)

Both me and snow were on at the time, no noticable lag whatsoever.
On friday they upgraded the servers to deal with extra users:

Tranquility, now been to hell, see it freeze over a couple of times and is now back, currently consists of about 40 machines in addition to support servers.

The recent upgrade involved expansions to our FAStT600 (http://www.storage.ibm.com/disk/fastt/fast600/index.html) with an EXP700 and adding 14 disks. All the disks are 36GB 15KRPM Fibre Channel disks (and not all arrived). This increased the throughput or I/O of the SQL cluster considerably.

We will also upgrade the servers in our SQL cluster with 2 IBM xSeries 445 (http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/eserver/xseries/x445.html) bricks. Each configured with 4 Intel Xeon 3.0GHz processors and 16GB of RAM.

We are also adding a bunch of SOL (means SUN) application servers. They are IBM xSeries 335 (http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=-840&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2574822) all configured with 2 Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processors and 2.5GB of RAM.

You can also see an early pic of the cluster from launch, we'll get updated pics after the second phase.

There are 7 administrators (not all full-time) that work around the cluster on database, application, hardware, networking and backup administration. In addition we get various experts on the team in larger operations. We also have a number of server developers that give it lots of love. As an example, our first phase of the upgrades involved 11 people including the IBM experts. The second phase will include more since they are larger scale ops and of course ensuring the shortest downtime possible withouth compromising the upgrade process is key.Wonder if we would still lag with 50 people in a zone, with some of those? :lol:

G.0.D.
25-04-04, 22:46
I wounder what the specs are on the neocron server...

Opar
25-04-04, 22:46
Im jealous....

Not really.

I mean, WTF? 10,000 people playing one game at once.... thats like... horrible.

Imagine the trade-channel spam :eek:

jiga
25-04-04, 22:48
2 sweaty men in an office :p

Mr_Snow
25-04-04, 22:49
Just checked the trade channel and it has 826 people in it but generally I try avoid it.

Heavyporker
25-04-04, 22:51
man... 10,000 ppl playing on ONE neocron server... that'd be so beautiful...

*snif*

CA or NCPD could set up *paid* communciations officers to monitor Trade-NC and Skill-NC chat and all that, since those channels are controlled by CA proper.

Can you imagine how much content would be coming in? Pluto'd be so fucking amazing. We'd open up the rest of the wastelands past the cliffs.. so much more OPs (fortresses, though) and dungeons that it'd be almost ridicously huge.... taxi drivers' would actually be a viable profession... *sigh*

bounty
25-04-04, 22:52
EVE plain and simple was just not my kind of game. But let me tell you, that game and developers had it's shit together big time. You'd actually be suprised with the LACK OF spam on their "trade" channels. The trading system is actually one of the best of any game. The high level player content is almost endless, and the game although doesn't have the same amount of intereaction PVP wise, was flawless as far as lock ups or lag is concerned. I also never once crashed EVEN throughout beta. BUt like i said, just not my style of a game, more of a star fleet battles on the PC kind of game, which is very appealing to many, not to me.

Celt
25-04-04, 22:53
EVE plain and simple was just not my kind of game. But let me tell you, that game and developers had it's shit together big time. You'd actually be suprised with the LACK OF spam on their "trade" channels. The trading system is actually one of the best of any game. The high level player content is almost endless, and the game although doesn't have the same amount of intereaction PVP wise, was flawless as far as lock ups or lag is concerned. I also never once crashed EVEN throughout beta. BUt like i said, just not my style of a game, more of a star fleet battles on the PC kind of game, which is very appealing to many, not to me.Yep, for a start up company, CCP fucking owns.

jiga
25-04-04, 22:54
I wonder how much money they make a month.

Mr_Snow
25-04-04, 22:55
PVP is actually being improved with player owned stations as the equivilent of OPs but it still isnt as important or spontaneus as in neocron.

Clownst0pper
25-04-04, 23:11
Can u imagine if the servers had say 2500 people on.

Say saturn had that many members, the OP wars would be insane!!!!

At 60 fps 8|

*dreams*

HellBreaker
25-04-04, 23:13
2 sweaty men in an office :p

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone :lol: best thing i've heard since
. BDOY with be out soon *caugh* lol

jernau
25-04-04, 23:20
They posted them a while back. I'll look for a link but I imagine search may find them for you ;).

Oath
25-04-04, 23:21

The hamster doesnt speak english.

To be honest Eve isnt anything to compare to neocron, i found it boring and repetetive..guess its not THAT far apart neocron then eh?

But seriously though eve sucks ass.

NC > eve
DOY > *

Celt
25-04-04, 23:22
The hamster doesnt speak english.

To be honest Eve isnt anything to compare to neocron, i found it boring and repetetive..guess its not THAT far apart neocron then eh?

But seriously though eve sucks ass.

NC > eve
DOY > *
eve > 10000 people online
nc > 1000

see a trend? :D

eve and neocron arent competitors, they are so different.

Both has their niche, but CCP have managed to suceed.

Genty
25-04-04, 23:35
eve > 10000 people online
nc > 1000

see a trend? :D

eve and neocron arent competitors, they are so different.

Both has their niche, but CCP have managed to suceed.

Neocron ain't done yet.

G.0.D.
25-04-04, 23:41
[ edited ]

Vampire222
25-04-04, 23:42
wtfbbq, uber alien server rack!

t0tt3
25-04-04, 23:47
[ edited ]

MrChumble
25-04-04, 23:50
[ edited ]

jernau
26-04-04, 00:00
Well I did the search for the neocron server,
to tell you the truth im a little suprised at what came up! 8|
I just looked up the thread I was referring to and it's gone. The age-archiving on here seems to get more aggresive all the time.

The specs weren't bad at all though for the time and I'm sure they have been upgraded since then.

Al3X
26-04-04, 00:01
[ edited ]

Celt
26-04-04, 00:01
I just looked up the thread I was referring to and it's gone. The age-archiving on here seems to get more aggresive all the time.

The specs weren't bad at all though for the time and I'm sure they have been upgraded since then.I remember the pics, and the thread.

Still though, why would they have been upgraded since then?

Server numbers gone down, after all.

Aziraphale
26-04-04, 00:04
[ edited ]

G.0.D.
26-04-04, 00:06
[ edited ]

Al3X
26-04-04, 00:07
It gets weird after that.
and heres the proof; a picture of KK's 30 new employee's hard at work coding B:DOYdont you love those red X's? me neither

Celt
26-04-04, 00:08
dont you love those red X's? me neitherWorks fine for me.

jernau
26-04-04, 00:09
I remember the pics, and the thread.

Still though, why would they have been upgraded since then?

Server numbers gone down, after all.
Well they haven't said as much but they have mentioned "server updates", "server maintenance", "server upgrades", etc. in reference to down-time on a few occasions, particularly around the lag/reliability of Saturn and Uranus. They could mean software patching or updating but considering we have a fair idea how grotesque their database is I would guess that at the very least they have upgraded memory and HDDs. Depending on the model and config of the servers (which I can't recall) CPU upgrades may also have been possible.

I'm personally convinced, based on the information we have been given, that the DB is the bottleneck so I wouldn't expect that they can add new servers to load-balance until they get a real DB platform to work on.

Nidhogg
26-04-04, 00:12
Less of the spam, please.

N

t0tt3
26-04-04, 00:13
Less of the spam, please.

N

Well we want to know and you Nid would know so cut all this spam just tell us the server stat.... simpel hu?

Kenjuten
26-04-04, 00:14
*blinks* Well, isn't that rude. o.o

Besides, I doubt Nid would personally know the server specs.

Celt
26-04-04, 00:16
*blinks* Well, isn't that rude. o.o

Besides, I doubt Nid would personally know the server specs.He seems to know everything else KK related ;)

Kenjuten
26-04-04, 00:17
Aye, but is he a coder? o_O

Maybe I'm just basing this. I mean, if I was a GM/Mod I wouldn't have a sheet with me or memorize what the system specs are.

jernau
26-04-04, 00:19
He might be able to find MJS' post with them in using his uber-mod tools.:)

Nidhogg
26-04-04, 00:24
J said this:
Okay, here are some more specs. Neocron runs on 40 Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz (Northwood core), 1 height unit machines. Each machine is equipped with 1 Gig of RAM and a load balancer handles which machine does what. The entire cluster is connected to the Level3 backbone via an unshared 1 Gig fibre port. (btw.: The fibre runs through the yellow plastic boxes at the ceiling of the pictures seen before in this thread.)" It is true that its dbase is MySQL. However, handled properly, MySQL _can_ do a hell of a lot for you (remember that it is an entirely open architecture and an open source project... so you know nothing about our dbase until you've seen what we've done to it). Nevertheless we don't intend to stick to it for much longer and are in talks with Microsoft and with Oracle to upgrade to either system.N

Celt
26-04-04, 00:26
J said this:NWould seem eve has achieved a big difference in performance by not using mysql(as many MANY people on the forum have said)

Nidhogg
26-04-04, 00:26
Did you read all the way to the end of the quote?

N

Lexxuk
26-04-04, 00:29

N

I did!! oh oh oh... KK are using a customised version of the MySQL OS DB, but were in talks (years ago) to ug the database, which will be coming with doy! can i have a cookie N? :D

Celt
26-04-04, 00:30

NThat post was made, 16-18months ago, right?

Yes I did, and I read the original.

Did you read the time and date of the post?:rolleyes:

t0tt3
<3 Nid the man on the board :D

jernau
A few months after that he posted to say that the upgrade process was on hold because of "technical problems". I'm pretty sure he confirmed that the chosen upgrade path was MSSQL but that post has also archived out so I'm not sure how solid that was.

/edit - thanks Nid.

Nidhogg
26-04-04, 00:35
I was asked for the server stats and that's what I've posted - I should have learned by now that trying to help always seems to provoke a negative reaction. The topic of this discussion, I seem to remember, is EVE so please get back to it.

N

P.S. Celt, change your title please.

Lexxuk
26-04-04, 00:36
its ok Niddy, we do <3 u :)

Celt
26-04-04, 00:37
[ edited ]

Organics
26-04-04, 00:40
I was asked for the server stats and that's what I've posted - I should have learned by now that trying to help always seems to provoke a negative reaction. The topic of this discussion, I seem to remember, is EVE so please get back to it.

N

Yeah that seems to happen a lot. Granted, certain people are pissed off or whatever with some things in Neocron, but no reason to spout off at you (or other mods who don't directly influence ingame developments etc). Now I'm no "fanboy", but if people must counter-debate these things, at least try and do it in a pleasant fashion!!!!

Anyway, back on topic, I've looked at EVE briefly, wasn't too impressed but I suppose if you give it a lot more time, then maybe it gets better. 10k people on one server is.....interesting. The gameworld must be fucking huge.

shodanjr_gr
26-04-04, 00:42
It is true that its dbase is MySQL. However, handled properly, MySQL _can_ do a hell of a lot for you (remember that it is an entirely open architecture and an open source project... so you know nothing about our dbase until you've seen what we've done to it).

Judging from database stability, i doubt that anyone would like to see what uve done with it :P

On topic: Eve really impresses me. Although it really is Boredom.inc, it just keeps setting the record on players/server.

jernau
26-04-04, 00:42
It certainly is impressive. Just think how much mining they can get done with 10,000 people.

/edit @Nid - Don't let people get to you dude. We do appreciate everything you do. I know it's OT but was your second post implying that something fundamental has changed with the database since the post you quoted?

Kenjuten
26-04-04, 00:44
Bah, that's peanuts. D:

I used to know a game where there were more than 10k people on a server at a time, and the game was like 10x smaller than NC. O_o

Course, that was during open beta...and the servers were kinda laggy...but still! @_@

Seven
26-04-04, 00:54
J said this:N
Okay, here are some more specs. Neocron runs on 40 Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz (Northwood core), 1 height unit machines. Each machine is equipped with 1 Gig of RAM and a load balancer handles which machine does what.

So what would 2 gigs of ram per machine do for Neocron? Just curious...

jernau
26-04-04, 00:57
So what would 2 gigs of ram per machine do for Neocron? Just curious...
Impossible to say for sure without seeing them in action but almost all DB apps get faster with more RAM because they can run bigger caches and handle more indexes.

G.0.D.
26-04-04, 00:59
40 P4's running at 2ghz...

THATS LIKE ONE A PERSON!

Sorry I couldent resist

jernau
26-04-04, 01:01
40 P4's running at 2ghz...

THATS LIKE ONE A PERSON!

Sorry I couldent resist
They aren't all for Pluto. The real servers are on there too. :p

Seven
26-04-04, 04:12
Impossible to say for sure without seeing them in action but almost all DB apps get faster with more RAM because they can run bigger caches and handle more indexes.

Forty sticks of ram shouldn't be a lot of money unless it's specialty ram for those boxes, might actually help in some areas, it sure couldn't hurt.

One gig sounds a bit on the low side, but I know nothing about the type of setup their using.

Heavyporker
26-04-04, 04:46
why bother upgrading the old NC servers? A whole fuckload of headaches.

I'm guessing that BDoY is gonna be on fresh servers, cos thanks to our pal Moore, new servers gonna be 2x the power and memory for 1/2 the price.

jernau
26-04-04, 04:50
why bother upgrading the old NC servers? A whole fuckload of headaches.

I'm guessing that BDoY is gonna be on fresh servers, cos thanks to our pal Moore, new servers gonna be 2x the power and memory for 1/2 the price.
You've clearly never priced up rack servers.

Heavyporker
26-04-04, 05:06
bah, fine, I'll go look.

edit:

looked at about five-six sites that sell rack servers, apparently average price for strong servers are around 1.5k each for ~1.8 ghz processors and such.

So, really, for a MMORPG with a financial backer, getting 40 $2k servers *shouldn't* be *too* nasty.

jernau
26-04-04, 05:28
bah, fine, I'll go look.

edit:

looked at about five-six sites that sell rack servers, apparently average price for strong servers are around 1.5k each for ~1.8 ghz processors and such.

So, really, for a MMORPG with a financial backer, getting 40 $2k servers *shouldn't* be *too* nasty.I wouldn't trust a $2000 server as far as I could throw it in this context. I'm also lead to believe that KK outsource all the maintenance and support. All in all you are looking at more like $10-20k per server including 3 years of comprehensive maintenance less any bulk discount they may have got.

Servers are scary things to cost if you want to do it right.

/edit - Just to say I'm not getting at you. The first time I priced up a proper server I nearly had a heart attack.

petek480
26-04-04, 07:08
[ edited ]

If you have any questions about forum moderation please feel free to address it to odin or nid via pm's

Oath
26-04-04, 09:48
Goes to show what good buisiness leadership and what good advertising can do eh?

If eve sucks and can get so much people then surely when doy is released we can get more?

MkVenner
26-04-04, 10:09
True dat, EvE is the most boring, repetitive game ive played, granted some people like it, imo it sucks, PvPs just like lockon....shoot, repeat...boring...and if that gets 10k+ people paying €15 (iirc) then NC, which imo is a much better game, can do much better than it is atm

jernau
26-04-04, 10:33
One thing to note with these numbers is that EVE is currently in the middle of a big marketing drive. They are spamming out free play-time to anyone who ever had anything to do with it and a lot of people are going back just to see what's changed.

I went back for a free look and I still hate mining and a flight system with all the immersion of Space Invaders so I won't be giving them any money. Many more will probably do likewise but in the meantime the numbers are artificially high. The big question for CCP is how many of those players will start paying. My guess is it will be quite a few because EVE is easy on casual gamers and looks pretty.

There are lessons here for KK as Oath says but don't read too much into the numbers unless they can hold them at that level for 6-12 months.

MkVenner
26-04-04, 11:06
yeah and what with all the EnB guys looking for a new home...when I was playing EvE there was special deals for people who came over from EnB...

Mr_Snow
26-04-04, 11:43
Eve has been on a marketing drive since it began theres always been free trials and such without having to put money forward unlike most games.

The EnB discount shows why Eve will succeed because the developers see an opertunity and take it.

Customer support is and has always been brilliant and they are apologising because non-essential petitions are back logged for 1 or 2 days.

The second free game upgrade is being worked on but the game is still being patched every couple of weeks with bug fixing balancing etc.

Fair enough the game may not be to everyones liking but it shows what a small independant developer can do if they try.

Original monk
26-04-04, 16:00
The high level player content is almost endless, and the game although doesn't have the same amount of intereaction PVP wise, was

hilevelplayercontent = endless ??

so you mean they have more/better then us ???

how can they do better then our 1 commander for the whole server ????

ya must be kiddin me :)

edit: lately i play a game of project entropia: when you are hilevel and over 3000+ skills you can make a hangar ... this hangar can bring youre clan to a new planet, a new remote freshly discovered wild area ... there you can go on a land grab, to grab youre piece of land and defend it, its somekind of event that lasts for days and repeats itself half a year later ...

i want hilevelcontent in neocron also :)

shodanjr_gr
26-04-04, 16:02
hilevelplayercontent = endless ??

so you mean they have more/better then us ???

how can they do better then our 1 commander for the whole server ????

ya must be kiddin me :)

Heck even Pac Man has more high levle content than NC.

At least at the high levels u get 4 ghosts to chomp on.

petek480
26-04-04, 17:10
[ edited ]

If you have any questions about forum moderation please feel free to address it to odin or nid via pm's
I would reply saying that I didn't have any questions about moderation so there was no reason to edit my post but i'd probably get banned for questioning you or something so I won't.

J. Folsom
26-04-04, 17:15
Heck even Pac Man has more high levle content than NC.

At least at the high levels u get 4 ghosts to chomp on.Aren't there always 4 ghosts? I seem to remember that anyway, bloody bastards, you're like "Aha, I shall get to the large pil before thee, vile villain, and then I shall taste thy tastiness!", and then he's there before you and one of the other sneaky buggers is behind you, and what happens next is "You are dead, please insert coin to continue.".

A pox on all those vile villainous Pacman ghosts I say, a pox!

EDIT: Anyway, congratulations to CCP, I say. Hope they can keep it up, since it proves you don't need a large company behind you to be succesful.
EXTRA EDIT: Erm... They don't have a large company behind it, right?

Clownst0pper
26-04-04, 17:27
im not suprised its got 10000 subscribers. Its 5.99 in my local GAME.

Who wouldnt buy it.

A friend of mine, strathus, says its slightly a con tho, before u even get anywhere nr doing anything moderatly interesting, uve already payed 2 months just to get there. :wtf:

Ive never found the idea of Space online RPG's exciting.

WOW pressing forward and flying through....Black, is fun :rolleyes:

petek480
26-04-04, 18:19
im not suprised its got 10000 subscribers.
10000 subscribers online at once not 10000 subscribers total.

Clownst0pper
26-04-04, 18:28
10000 subscribers online at once not 10000 subscribers total.

Yeah thats what I meant :p

Shujin
26-04-04, 18:55
Im jealous....

Not really.

I mean, WTF? 10,000 people playing one game at once.... thats like... horrible.

Imagine the trade-channel spam :eek:
spamming in any channel is against their rules. if u do and someone reports u you will be "gagged" in that channel and will not be able to say anything for a while(not sure the duration)

and that many people on at a time is very great, specially due to the amount of systems and space there really is in the game because there is sooo much room in the game. its just great ;]

icarium
26-04-04, 19:01
i doubt you could FIT 10000 into the neocron world tbh, lets face it its hardly massive is it. DoY could really do with doubling the size of the wasteland and number of ops while its at it. but it wont it will just add neocron city 2 with a different colour scheme :(

Celt
26-04-04, 19:24
Jernau, there is a limit to trial users online concurrently, about 800.

[edited]
If you have any issues with forum moderation please free to address them to either odin or nid

jerrymaguire
26-04-04, 19:46
This is the best thread I have read in a long time, I think I will go check out EvE to find out what all the fuss is about.

Besides, its sumthin new, NC has gotten quite "repetative" lately, need sumthin new to get into.

LaZyBoY
26-04-04, 20:18
pluto has 65 people on right now.. what do people do they run to saturn

jernau
26-04-04, 20:25
This is the best thread I have read in a long time, I think I will go check out EvE to find out what all the fuss is about.

Besides, its sumthin new, NC has gotten quite "repetative" lately, need sumthin new to get into.
Well if you don't like repetitive I really would avoid EVE. A game so dull that it doesn't even matter if you're logged in or not.

@Celt - Ah, I didn't know that about the trials. Still 800 is still a big help in boosting the figures.

Cyphor
26-04-04, 23:48
I tried eve when i was sent a free trial and wasnt impressed, after spending time downloading the client and sigining up i tried to log in to be told there is only a limited number of trial accounts allowed on at once, try again later o_O I tried to log in 4 or 5 times throughout a week with no luck so gave up... Wasn't too impressed, but it might have just been because atm i dont have too much time for games so i was trying to log on at busier times.

Shujin
27-04-04, 16:41
Well if you don't like repetitive I really would avoid EVE. A game so dull that it doesn't even matter if you're logged in or not.

@Celt - Ah, I didn't know that about the trials. Still 800 is still a big help in boosting the figures.
dude it really ISNT repetitive if u actually figure things out.

i love doing agent missions now because its barely ever the same mission. and if u get tired of that or anything u can go kill rats, and u can find mission logs on the loot of some rats to a location of a new base u can goto and check out and fight some rats there

ps. rats = short for pirates.

and u can go around in 0.3-0.0 space and pvp

MkVenner
27-04-04, 16:44
yeah but the places in those logs are usually camped...same for the 0.3-0.0 warpgates...

plus theres the kamikaze kestrals which get annoying when youve just filled a badger up with ore :D

Shujin
27-04-04, 17:30
yeah but the places in those logs are usually camped...same for the 0.3-0.0 warpgates...

plus theres the kamikaze kestrals which get annoying when youve just filled a badger up with ore :D ive never gone to any of them that were camped.

me and another dude from neocron that pm'd me on the forums went and camped one for a couple hrs and didnt have anyone else show up there.

also u dont have to use logs to find bases, im very good w/ the radar ;] i've found many secret bases, riod fields, and just debris fields w/ that. I also won a contest for 20 mil from eve radio usin radar, u had to find someone in a system and he was on a planets moon in a system that had like 10 planets each with like 20 moons ;P
so i just used radar, narrow'd it down to 2 moons of 2 diff planets and i had already been to one of them, so i went to the other and he was there ;], won 20 mil ( if u look on ebay thats like winning 50$+ ) ;]

MkVenner
27-04-04, 19:02
sweet, glad your enjoying the game, not my type of game but it obviously is at least 8k+ people...i really should tell the people in my Corp i wont be playing any more...and i better give away my Moa and Blackbird lol

Shujin
27-04-04, 20:01
sweet, glad your enjoying the game, not my type of game but it obviously is at least 8k+ people...i really should tell the people in my Corp i wont be playing any more...and i better give away my Moa and Blackbird lolu can gimmie stuff ;D
ive already spent all that money i won for skills and a implant for my main char ;P

im pretty noob still got about 900k skill points ;[

Ixholla
27-04-04, 21:13
This was one of those games that I shuttered at whenever clicking the Icon to start.

It was almost ...no it WAS Painful.

The whole Click & Snooze Space Travel was rediculous.

I knew it was time to leave when I asked some players on the help channel.

"What do you do between Stargates" ???

and the replies....

"I read my book"
"I finish studying"
"I watch TV"

Thats when I stoped playing.

There's a little known space game out there called "Jumpgate" That's much
funner and it has REAL Pirates!

;)

jernau
27-04-04, 21:20
I played for a month or so during the beta and my experience was similar to Ixholla's : one form of tedium eventually followed by another form of tedium.

He seems to have met some surprisingly helpful people on the help channel though. All I ever saw on there was assholes flaming each other and anyone that tried to use it.

tbh I could live with all the other shitiness of EVE if they made the flight and combat system not suck sweaty donkey-nad. Point-and-snore in a game that's already sedating you like a gallon of morphine is just too much.