PDA

View Full Version : Does connection speed....

extract
24-04-04, 21:05
affect FPS?

need to know I gotta use dialup for a few months and I cant really sacrifice any more FPS I think 7-10 is low enough on cable....

Scikar
24-04-04, 21:08
Technically, it depends on the modem. If you have a software modem then yes it could. Software modems use your CPU instead of having an onboard one, which is why a software modem will disconnect if you run a CPU-intensive application such as burning a CD. The connection speed itself makes no difference though.

extract
24-04-04, 21:18
software modem? do you mean the flow control setting or the actual modem itself? cause i got a 56k modem in a PCI slot I would assume thats a hardware modem eh?

Scikar
24-04-04, 21:25
PCI modems can be either hardware or software. The only way you can guarantee it's hardware is for it to be external. I believe software modems are labelled 'MicroModems', normally. If it's a small card which doesn't have a great deal of stuff on it then it's likely to be a software modem.

Seven
25-04-04, 02:04
PCI modems can be either hardware or software. The only way you can guarantee it's hardware is for it to be external. I believe software modems are labelled 'MicroModems', normally. If it's a small card which doesn't have a great deal of stuff on it then it's likely to be a software modem.

Yep, hardware modems have several good size chips on them and usually one chip is in a socket where you can pry it out and replace/upgrade it (looks at my old US Robotics 56K Sportster)

Oh and the software modems are usually branded as a "WinModem" ;)

notneo
25-04-04, 08:41
6 months ago i upgraded to adsl and i get a ping of 60 and i still get down to 10 fps in plaza 2 when its busy,and i a m running with 768 mb of ddr ram,2 ghz cpu and 128 mb geoforce fx