PDA

View Full Version : what do gm's do..........

THE_TICK!!!!
24-04-04, 14:49
ok folks..ive seen allot of criticism towards KK and GM"s over the past year or so..and since ive been here in iraq..and reading the forums allot more...i see LOTS more criticism..sooo tell me what you think GM's do. and if you where a GM what would you do to help the comunity and what would you do different than what is done now. intelligent answers only please :D

extract
24-04-04, 14:51
I would ban you for double posting :p

THE_TICK!!!!
24-04-04, 14:52
lol my bad i swear its the milnet !! :)

Ransom
24-04-04, 22:37
I think a lot of the (KK)GMs spend a lot of their time working as behind the scenes support staff, generally sorting out problems that players have. I've seen some policing the trade channels, cutting down abusive OOC talk and monitoring players suspected of cheating/exploiting.

They also support well planned and advertised player events, as well as the occaisional plot related story. Helping release new items into the game with their own events, one way or another. Remember that GM events used to be more frequent, however I believe GM's were slammed for upsetting the 'ongoing storyline'. They were also accused of being holding certain players in favour of others due to the timing of the events.

I believe they also spend a considerable amount of time respawning damaged dynamic NPC's (the ones for things like the PA runs)

If I were in charge? Well I would seperate support GM's from storyline GM's in terms of duty. Support would take care of all the day to day problems, while storyline GM's would work on just that. As far as the storyline events go? When writing the neochronicle/NEMA I would explore the possibilities of events which could hold merit for an event, lets use a past example of kamakazi soldiers inside Neocron, and at the end of the article leave a planned date for when the events will take place, and on which servers. GM's participating in the event would be given a script of the plot, including backround on why the event was happening (perhaps the soldiers were trying to destroy a weapons dump somewhere) what would happen if the event failed (the soldiers breach the Tangent HQ and hold it for more than 10 mins) give strict guidlines for rewards for players participating, as well as for outstanding achievement. The above briefing stage is by no means complete but I was wandering off track.

I think we have also seen the benefits of Alchemical Dream's (?) paid GM's on the Venus server and would seriously consider following the same suit. Preferably the servers would be merged into one single server, though as this is improbable I would need to hire GM's to deal with specific servers, with a Lead GM that would be responsible for overseeing the work of the storyline GM's. GM's would be hired that would work within different timezones, and at given times. Storyline GMs would also be given a list of acceptable events that they could implement throughout a week, again with limitations on rewards and damage caused, these events would be small things that would not effect release dates of storylines, or give an unreasonable advantage to a player participating, for example a thief has stolen a hoverbike, track down in the outzone, kill and the reward would be the used (and broken) hoverbike key, or just mob explosions, with the rewards being mob loot.

Anyway enough from me...

Ransom

Anyway, good luck where you are, and I hope this was 'Intelligent' enough for you :p

ezza
24-04-04, 23:15
they sit at there comps laughing at the help requests we send :p

(little face added for nidhoggs benefit incase he doesnt realise im joking)

MrChumble
24-04-04, 23:20
They wonder where Odin has gone and why he's not reading his PMs :confused:

Most of the GMs seem really friendly and helpful to me. KK seem to have a good system for selecting them, the only downside to it is there aren't enough (at least who visit Pluto) so you can end up waiting hours n hours for really simple requests.

Cr33p3r
25-04-04, 00:38
impresive that nid did not ban ya

notneo
25-04-04, 08:44
seen 2 in year and a half

ezza
25-04-04, 10:20
well you musnt hang in the right areas.

and tbh we shouldnt haveto see GMs very often

plus after you have seen your first GM, there all the same after that :lol:

now if you see a member of KK in game.......

jiga
25-04-04, 10:23
They only come out at night and hide in the depths of gaia mine

Arbiter
25-04-04, 10:27
We GMs are stalkers: We watch you, but you can't see us :p

ezza
25-04-04, 10:30
onoz paranoia sets in :eek:

Aziraphale
25-04-04, 10:57
I think the GM's do a great job myself, every problem I've had has been settled within 24 hours, and I can't really ask for better than that.
The only real problem, as you say, is that there are either a) not enough of them or b) theyre not online often enough.

Point B is not the GM's fault at all, they have their own lives and they are volunteers.
Point A could be settled by KK if they selected just a few more GM's to help out, maybe not even fully fledged GM's, just 'deputies'.
Both points could be solved by KK using paid GM's.

___T-X____
25-04-04, 11:28
Whatever it is, there isnt enough doing whatever they do

Judge
25-04-04, 13:33
I hope that when DoY comes out, player populations rise etc etc to the stage where GMs are able to be payed for their good work. This will mean that they are less likely to be corrupted (don't say its never happened), because its not just a volounteer thing. Its a part or full time (not sure how most paid GMs work for) job. I think that atm the GMs do a damn good job, and deserve the players respect, as well as KK's respect.

INFERNO22
25-04-04, 15:19
now why is it i have too look like i know im being watched every time im doing my "Lazy" lvl'n ;) :)

Clownst0pper
25-04-04, 15:24
Close threads is what they do

:lol:

INFERNO22
25-04-04, 15:35
this is what they do i found it out.............When ever i Go to duel they spawn like 1,000,000,000 Mobs in a appartment and i lag out and end up dieng cos i just stand there and i get shot to shit j/k

Arbiter
25-04-04, 15:36
Close threads is what they do

:lol:

Nope, that is what Mods do, we can't even close threads... most of us at least.

INFERNO22
25-04-04, 15:39
Nope, that is what Mods do, we can't even close threads... most of us at least.
you get to play with the good old Alt + X :) :)

Clownst0pper
25-04-04, 21:33
GM's cant close threads? Why on earth not? :eek:

Nidhogg
25-04-04, 21:51
GM's cant close threads? Why on earth not? :eek:
Because GMs are not moderators (with one exception).

N

Judge
25-04-04, 23:10
Oh, Oh. Who's the exception? I wanna see the freakshow. :p

Shadow Dancer
25-04-04, 23:29
Oh, Oh. Who's the exception? I wanna see the freakshow. :p

I think niddypoo is the exception.

Isn't he a special type of GM or something? :wtf:

ezza
26-04-04, 00:04
aye niddy is also a GM

Arbiter
26-04-04, 08:49
(with one exception).

N

Nid, you are wrong... at least in this section (http://forum.neocron.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) :p (look at the bottom)

Opar
26-04-04, 08:53
Nid, you are wrong...

How dare you oppose the great NIDDHOGG???

The (more-powerful) peasents are revolting!

Wallen
26-04-04, 08:53
I been playing since retail started, NEVER seen a GM or been part of an event. Probably because I play late at night on US west coast. C'mon guys, where's the love? :(

THE_TICK!!!!
26-04-04, 15:21
nice to see ya in the thread arbiter..random outstanding post..have you thought of maybe using your talents to further the progress of the game..i for one think you should.

ezza
26-04-04, 15:25
to further the game?

unless you talk about event, then its the devs that you should be talking about.

GMs are just there to as i said earlier laugh at our help requests.

or laugh at OOC with people spamming

"I NEED A GM!!"

"Is there a GM on OOC" etc etc

THE_TICK!!!!
26-04-04, 19:39
yep i was refering to that..and its good to get as many people in a position to actually be able to put forth constructive critisim from a slightly higher level than (player) and put forth ideas. As a GM i hope that you get a better audience then the average joe.

Arbiter
27-04-04, 02:40
You get better audience as GM, as we also collect what you say. Being in contact with your FC for example is a good way to get your ideas and your concerns to the GMs / Devs.

Before I get some sleep I want to write my constructive post in this thread and try to answer the questions in the starting post ;)

My aim since I started was to get more interest for RP in the game, create an easier way to do events and a better contact between KK and the players, everything through the FCs. The problems till now where, that the FC team was not filled to the last spot and sometimes a faction even had no FC at all. I will not stop trying to get the team not only full, but also a good team.

Improvements have been done in the past and will be done in the future, as it is not perfect yet... and I know it will never really be perfect ;)

Dribble Joy
27-04-04, 02:45
For that I need to appologise for the total fuck up yesterday, I know it wasn't my fault, but I feel that the lack of CM's is partly down to my effort (or lack thereof).

neophotographer
27-04-04, 03:35

that's just a little scary.....one a side note I now have a new line for my sig! *evil grin*

manderf
27-04-04, 03:59
they throw wild parties in the pussy club. [ edited ]

uber java
27-04-04, 04:04
GMs like to show off by acting all important during events and by showing up in large crowds of people turing into interesting figures.

Kenjuten
27-04-04, 05:07
You mean like spawning as a giant firemob in PP1 Front?

Saw a pic of that, that was bloody funny.

^^

40$Poser
27-04-04, 05:27

(Today's star, nibby mcniblar goes up to her apartment after a long day of hunting.)

Nibby McNiblar: oh boy, I'm beat...

(Tapping heard on the window outside, Nibby looks, nothing that she can see. Goes to get ready to sleep. Heavy fog building up on the window. Arbiter is standing outside the window with an odd look...)

you get the idea, that might be happening when you go to your apts, beware

0_o

/40

-w0rd

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 14:49
arbiter thanks for posting on this thread..i like to see mature feedback from all sides and greatly appreciate the more than 1 word answers..that i have been seeing on most posts. good show!!!

hinch
27-04-04, 15:41

fibber i see you quite often
and i have some KK staff stalking me too :)

Jeros82
27-04-04, 15:47

Where's my Holy True Sight Sanctum :rolleyes:

SnowCrash
27-04-04, 16:14
Where's my Holy True Sight Sanctum :rolleyes:
Resistance is futile! :D

And always remember...the big bunneh... errr. brother is always watching you! :P

hinch
27-04-04, 16:30
yeah pretty sure last time i saw the big bunneh i killed it

"road kill"

Mercuri
27-04-04, 16:33
Personally I just walk around Zapping you guys all day for kicks.

Then I do some tickets....

Then more Zapping.

Maybe a coffee and some more Zaps.

Then if you guys haven't completley pissed me off I'll actually
help you with something but not to much! Otherwise you guys
may get used to the service and complain when I'm not around
like Pluto players.

Oh yeah then more Zapping!

:cool:

Jeros82
27-04-04, 16:38
Personally I just walk around Zapping you guys all day for kicks.

Then I do some tickets....

Then more Zapping.

Maybe a coffee and some more Zaps.

like Pluto players.

Oh yeah then more Zapping!

:cool:

I want to be a GM too :rolleyes:

Carbonite
27-04-04, 16:49
OMG merc you bastid ... Dont tell them all our secrets damit ....
/me runs off ... zapping Jeros82 on the way ....

Mercuri
27-04-04, 17:22
Yep, the cat's outa the bag now!

Barrel Zaps Plaza2 !!!!

Wooohooo! Look atem go!

<---Runs away laughing!

;)

El_MUERkO
27-04-04, 17:32
like Pluto players.

As in:

Pluto players complain when your not around.

or

You're not around just like the Pluto players.

:angel:

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 18:31
nice to see you snow carb and merc...nice to see ya in the post..its much appreciated !!

John_Ravenhawk
27-04-04, 18:35
I only complain when you don't do your job..

Since you never do your job..

It seems like I complain all the time.. heh.

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 18:38
well john i see no relivence to the subject in your post

*Dazz*
27-04-04, 18:40
I wanna be a GM!! :( Then you can all scream at me all day too for help and I can be out zappin people :lol:

John_Ravenhawk
27-04-04, 18:46
He poked at us Pluto players .... I poked back.

jiga
27-04-04, 19:08
It's the GMs that put the bugs into neocron. And when we're all gone they'll say: "Wow i thought the bastards would never leave"
"/set remove_bugs 1"
and then they have the game all to themselves... ;)

greendonkeyuk
27-04-04, 19:12
wow a thread that hasnt resorted to a bitchfest or clan bashing yet. Tick youve brought up a very sensitive subject in a polite way. nice one. only one person as far as i can see got edited for allegations so i guess the asshole quota is down in this thread. :)

one question though, i know of only about half a dozen gms (from forum posts and ingame replies to tickets) so how many GMs are there? in total i mean. If you dont have enough then why not advertise? also to stop the allegations of corruption have the gms assigned to servers where they dont have chars/rarely play. Personally id love to be a gm jus because all of the events ive ever been to have been smart fun and id like a chance to be on the other side of the ball for once. Still i bet you get tonnes of these kind of requests because people think theyre gonna spawn 5 slot cs'es for all their mates. *sighs* :rolleyes: :lol:

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 19:44
hmm good question i wonder how many GM's they actually have working the server. as to being a GM that would be a very hard job to have...picking a person for GM i mean...

Carbonite
27-04-04, 19:51
it never hurts to try ;) ... so feel free to mail gmjobs@neocron.com .. I should add that there is a waiting period... as we are quite full atm

Edit: ohh and i am the one picking the English Speaking GM's :D

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 19:56
thanks carbonite..and thanks everyone who made polite and positive posts on this POST. GREAT THREAD!!!! thanks everyone.

*Dazz*
27-04-04, 19:57
hehe, good to see you around NC in one way or another m8, come back from iraq soon, and i'll be comin by the house for a beer ;)

THE_TICK!!!!
27-04-04, 20:08
oh heck ya man...what i wouldn't do for a beer..let me tell ya

Ixholla
27-04-04, 21:05
They don't have Beer in Iraq?

8|

Oh wait this is the place they still stone
people....never mind.

John_Ravenhawk
27-04-04, 22:15
if you are so full why is the calendar so empty for events... hmm... can i say

SL4CKERS

Krysm
27-04-04, 22:55
if you are so full why is the calendar so empty for events... hmm... can i say

SL4CKERS

It makes little sense in an RP manner for certain event styles to be announced beforehand - "CA to attack TG on the 30th" "Raptor overpopulation goes completly out of hand on the 31st" "PP will have a shortage of employees on the 1st of may and will require supplementary personell to assist" - There are some things that just need to be kept a suprise.
Your concern for the Events and Content team is always appreciated, however, it does no good to anyone to constantly attempt to put us in a negative light.

If you are interested in organizing an event, then contact your Faction Counsellor. The names and emails can be foundhere (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=96953). If the email doesn't work and you are unable to find the forum name of said counsellor, contact another one and ask. We are always more than happy to help set up events.

If you don't want to organize an event, and are just looking to participate in one, events are held in underpopulated areas more often than not. Granted, there's not an event happening 24/7 on every server simultaneously, but there's at least two events per week on every server. You could also politely suggest to your counsellor that you would like an event, and perhaps give her/him an idea to work off of.

I hope I was able to help.

John_Ravenhawk
27-04-04, 23:21
kirja tell me this why should i have to plan an event.. when i don't get
the benefits of being a gm or power of being said GM and another thing what
do they do if they are not planning events... Everquest does not ask players to plan their own events or make your own missions.. That is there job not mine.. I pay them to do it.. If KK doesn't want to pay them then we have a problem

Krysm
27-04-04, 23:28
kirja tell me this why should i have to plan an event.. when i don't get
the benefits of being a gm or power of being said GM and another thing what
do they do if they are not planning events... Everquest does not ask players to plan their own events or make your own missions.. That is there job not mine.. I pay them to do it.. If KK doesn't want to pay them then we have a problem

I completly understand your perspective. However, I also realized your perspective when I wrote my last post.

If you don't want to organize an event, and are just looking to participate in one, events are held in underpopulated areas more often than not. Granted, there's not an event happening 24/7 on every server simultaneously, but there's at least two events per week on every server. You could also politely suggest to your counsellor that you would like an event, and perhaps give her/him an idea to work off of.

If you would like to participate in events, contact your counsellor.

Nidhogg
27-04-04, 23:38
Kirja has responded to your question as to why the calendar isn't updated with the details of every event. She's also reminded the community that they may organise additional player-driven events of their own. Such events may be sponsored by a Faction Counsellor and can therefore benefit from GM assistance if required. Are you suggesting that there are no player-lead events in Everquest?

N

John_Ravenhawk
27-04-04, 23:42
i am not sugggesting that they don't happen in everquest..

But there are events always happening driven by the GMs and
built in the game that players are not required to come up with them..

I just want you to understand, that someone is not doing there job
if you want us to drive the events on the server give us the power..

I can't get the assistance of a gm to help me when i am stuck for a whole
day how i am going to get hold of them to hold an event.

Scikar
27-04-04, 23:48
You don't think it might just be that these events are happening, but you're in Plaza 2 chatting to people and therefore don't know about them? Perhaps if you get involved in the RP a bit more, you might get in contact with someone who knows about an upcoming event, such as a TG friend hearing on the grapevine that there will be a TG attack in Pepper Park or something. If you're in Plaza 2, talking to your friends who also don't RP, then you won't find out about any of this.

Ka0s^
27-04-04, 23:51
i am not sugggesting that they don't happen in everquest..

But there are events always happening driven by the GMs and
built in the game that players are not required to come up with them..

I just want you to understand, that someone is not doing there job
if you want us to drive the events on the server give us the power..

I can't get the assistance of a gm to help me when i am stuck for a whole
day how i am going to get hold of them to hold an event.

As kirja has pointed out, player organised events do happen, all that is needed is a little self motivation of players to get up and decide they want to run an event. Its easy to sit around and say KK/GMs dont do there jobs when at the end of the day communities like NC exist on the need for players to show a bit of commitment themselves, as people seem to forget that the GM positions are VOLUNTARY afaik and that those GMs prolly have lots to do that us guys dont normally see.

So in answer to your post..u want power to run events... y0u have it, just come up with a good idea and contact a faction counsellor!

:)

Arbiter
28-04-04, 00:12
Yep, most of the GMs are voluntary. Exceptions: Those who wear S.T.O.R.M.-Bot Avatars here.

greendonkeyuk
28-04-04, 00:14
On Uranus Black Dragon organise lots of events, the most regular one is called the Tino_ show. Look for it. Its great fun.

John_Ravenhawk
28-04-04, 00:46
I listen for events all the time and I RP alot in this game more
than some.. talking to members of other clans is a spys job..

My question is where are all the events you are talking about..

when there are only 35 members on a server.. shouldn't GMs be out
there trying to keep the 35 people on active in small events..

the ADMIN channel is available to them and i have only seen it active for an
event twice in my entire NC career.. and both times it was late in my
timezone... 11:00 pm.

I will help in whatever event is running but WHERE ARE THEY?

Krysm
28-04-04, 03:15
I listen for events all the time and I RP alot in this game more
than some.. talking to members of other clans is a spys job..

My question is where are all the events you are talking about..

when there are only 35 members on a server.. shouldn't GMs be out
there trying to keep the 35 people on active in small events..

the ADMIN channel is available to them and i have only seen it active for an
event twice in my entire NC career.. and both times it was late in my
timezone... 11:00 pm.

I will help in whatever event is running but WHERE ARE THEY?

If you don't want to organize an event, and are just looking to participate in one, events are held in underpopulated areas more often than not.

The events, as I have mentioned, are not held in the most populated zones often.

The reason the ADMIN channel is not used for many events is the same reason the event calender is not used for all events. It does not make much sense in an RP manner if the entire world hears about a CA raid on TG, or a PP shortage of employees. If it is necessary to have the majority of the factions in an event, the event will most likely be announced in faction chat.

There's no way to be 100% sure that an event will come to you if you don't go looking for it. If you would like to be absolutly sure to participate in an event, talk to your counsellor. Give a simple idea that can be worked with and expanded upon.

I hope I've answered all questions.

Kenjuten
28-04-04, 03:17

*peers at posts*

*peers at times of posts*

*peers at sigs*

Heyo, John, uh, maybe if you got on NC some instead of complaining 24/7 like you claim you do on the forums....you'd be able to participate ingame.

Makes sense, doesn't it? =\

John_Ravenhawk
28-04-04, 05:08
look at the time of my posts and you will realize that most of them are
during the day when i am at work just wasting some time...

but thanks for monitoring me... maybe you and my boss can get together since obviously you are watching when i post too.

Kenjuten
28-04-04, 05:11
Mmkay, Eeyore.

Just offering a suggestion, you don't have to be anal about it :p

Forget My Name
28-04-04, 05:51
This is what I wished we had all these months and years...

More involvement with the KK staff/devs/gms in our affairs here on the forums. Also, when they do post in response, STOP nit picking them and treat them with respect. Respect is one thing this sommunity lacks, across the board, from Top to Bottom.

Thanks GMs for responding.

John_Ravenhawk
28-04-04, 07:14
I am really not trying to be mean about the problems I am having.

It concerns me when I get more responses from GM's here on the forums
than when i ask for them in game..

What do all of you think about that?

Arbiter
28-04-04, 07:50
The reason why we do not use the admin channel is the following:

ADMIN: <Random Mob / Faction> attacks at <random sector A>, trying to get to <random sector B>
90% of the runners: ONOZ! Let's get to <random sector B>.
Sector: Too many runners inside -> Lag, synchs, crash
Runners: That event sucked! I lost my <random rare slotted item>

Forum: <1 to X> threads popping up with players complaining about that event.

If we (at least I) announce events, then we do it faction wise, using the faction chats. ;)

John_Ravenhawk
28-04-04, 07:59
So instead of Admin'ing everyone... [ edited ]... Sorry just a little poke.

Gotterdammerung
28-04-04, 08:06
you are beginning to get into an area that us not good to venture into John Ravenhawk. We all understand you have a bitter pill stuck in your throat as you've repeated yourself plenty in this thread. I urge you to take a rest from the forum and rethink your role here.

slaughteruall
28-04-04, 08:19
What is the possibility of getting a FC for each faction on each server? Since we still never see the TT FC on saturn. And at least 2 events per week per server? I dont think so but i could be wrong. I havn't heard of anything in quite some time besides the PLAYER events that always happen when i'm at work.

I dont see much use in contacting a FC that is to busy to visit one of his servers. He could be playing on pluto alll the time i dont know. This is the main reason why i think there should be a FC per server per faction. GM's cant do it all which is what the FC's are suposed to do.

Quick question when was the last time you guys saw your FC? It's been about 5 to 6 months for me. Talk about a useless FC.

Slaughter

John_Ravenhawk
28-04-04, 09:11
Well I have heard plenty of rumors of this going on..

Yet I have never seen it so it is just rumors to me..

But that is what they are kind of saying right that having large events is
not possible..

So they pick and choose who they want to have events with and invite them.

or am i missreading the post..

If i am missreading please tell me what you mean. or is Neocron's engine so
bad that it can't handle 30 people in an area.

Mighty Max
28-04-04, 09:51
You are indeed missreading John,

else i'd never take part in an even cuz i normally solo.

What i encounter is the spread of an event to about 1-3 Factions instead of all. Those 1-3 Factions changes from event to event. So averyone can have the chance to hear something in his Faction-Chat.

Thats how i notice them. (Or because im at Plaza when some spezial Chars announce it for hours ... like the next rally last week [unfortunally i could not attend])

Greets
MightyMax

THE_TICK!!!!
28-04-04, 14:00
well folks the thread started off great.. but whent downhill in a hurry for all you that kept it in good spirit THANKS. John if you want to bitch go start a bitch forum. personally im tired of hearing bitches with no solutions..CLose thread. its dead

ezza
28-04-04, 14:15
lol with banned user under his name i dont think he will be posting anytime soon :p

Gotterdammerung
28-04-04, 14:28
closed as per starters request