PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] Multi-Char Servers and DoY

-FN-
24-04-04, 06:45
Ok, I'm throwing this out because it might actually resolve one of the biggest reasons I personally won't play on a multichar server. The scenario is usually the same:

You kill red Player Bob.
Bob logs out and 5 mins later, Player Gus ganks you...
wtf Player Gus?
Player Gus tells you to 'get some skillz n00b' because you killed his other lowbie char, Player Bob.

Or Player Joe is spamming trade like crazy because... he can.
His main is Player Jim and could care less if people hate Player Joe, he just wants to annoy people.

People are always hiding behind the anonymity of their 'unique' names on the multichar servers. So I'd like to propose this and hope that KK takes the idea up. Not only do I think it would be good for the servers, it would add a very nice touch to the "RP" portion of the "MMORPG" genre of the game.

With your account you should have to choose a Last Name. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it's unique. This Last Name gets tagged onto all the characters that account has on any server. At character creation time you get to pick a First Name and Nickname. Then when you finally get in-game, you can select how to display your name in chat, either by First Name Last Name, or by Nickname. So in essence the chats could stay the same with the one word named people if that's what they prefer, or a very cool RP feel would start to emerge as you would see some cool First Name/Last Name lists in local. I personally would still display "FuckNut" :) but I would at least have a first and last name you could look up in a citycomm.

Then on Saturn I could have 4 characters, all with the same identifiable Last Name, and clans would know "Joe Blow" in their clan and "Jack Blow" in the enemy clan... are the same person.

Just something that I remember from playing Project Entropia that I loved, moreso for the RP aspect there, but I think the premise really would help the atmosphere of the Multi-character servers here if KK insists on keeping them into DoY.

Rate/Comment away.

Shadow Dancer
24-04-04, 06:58
I like the idea. But at the same time, I don't really get bothered when someone attacks me on their alt. I see everyone as a potential attacker.

But yea i like your idea.

EDIT:You should have made this a poll.

deac
24-04-04, 07:17
nice one FN. Yes this thing would make playing multi char servers a lot more fun... 5 stars

holmedog
24-04-04, 07:26
Damn good idea. It would help w/ people trying to remember there friends names also, maybe add the ability to add last name to buddy list and talk to all 4 chars instead of havinng to add all 4

yavimaya
24-04-04, 07:39
brilliant idea!
except maybe your "nickname" part might need a little more thought.
if i was to use my "nicknames" i use now, then how could you look people up still? unless of course each client was set to "show other peoples last name/ first/ nick" instead of me deciding what i show to others.

Also, it basically means each char needs 3 unique names, instead of one.

Disturbed021
24-04-04, 08:02
5 Stars.
Tis a sexy idea!

Archeus
24-04-04, 08:31
would be a great way to persecute someone you didn't like.

Mr_Snow
24-04-04, 09:45
Why if you dont want to play on a multi-char server dont and you wont have to put up with that. When you decide to play on a multi-char server you choose to tolerate that crap.

And you never mentioned what to do with multi account whores, which are very prevelant on pluto, which can basically do the same thing but wont have surnames.

jiga
24-04-04, 09:55
A non-multi char server would get very boring for me very quickly. You would have to play the same char all the time and if you want to try a different class you have to delete your main char. :(

yavimaya
24-04-04, 09:56
Why if you dont want to play on a multi-char server dont and you wont have to put up with that. When you decide to play on a multi-char server you choose to tolerate that crap.

And you never mentioned what to do with multi account whores, which are very prevelant on pluto, which can basically do the same thing but wont have surnames.

I dont think thats such a problem, they are already being punished.
If they decide they wantr more than one account just so they can have more than one char, what need is there to punish them further than take more money off of them than anyone else has to pay?

i like the idea, screw the idiots whom like to pay 5x what they need to, they should almost be exempt if you want to put it that way. They have fucked themselves over and there no need to do more to them. :)

-FN-
24-04-04, 09:57
@ Mr_Snow:

Well I completely prefer to play on Pluto...

But last night for example there were 14 people on Pluto. 5 of them were SXR. Saturn had 80 people on. I don't think I have to explain any more than that.

As for the multi account whores, nothing to ever really prevent that. If you're willing to shell out the extra money, the account really is yours to do with what you please.

@ yavimaya:

About the nickname display, I would see it as a citycomm option. Instead of Clan Admin, it would be Runner Admin and you can select which display you'd want. First, Last, and Nickname would all be searchable in the City Comm tho and you would see a runner profile somewhat like:

Joe "The Badass PKer" Runner

You would only really need one unique nickname when you register your account (the Last Name), then a unique First Name for each character. The Nickname could be optional, or better yet, even changable through the Runner Admin in the citycomm by the owner.

le noob
24-04-04, 13:03
or am i the only one who you can tell every name is me

there are some people who have the same name with one variation on multi char servers so don't lump everyone into the same category foo!

Argent
24-04-04, 13:13
there are some people who have the same name with one variation on multi char servers so don't lump everyone into the same category foo!

And how many people who name their chars like that are there? ½% of the playerbase?

Anyway, good idea but multiple accounts ruin it.

Aziraphale
24-04-04, 13:17
Excellent idea FN, really very good indeed. Would also add more of an RP element to the game, and stop mroe people taking a 'l33t' name.

MrChumble
24-04-04, 13:19
I like this idea. I'm probably moving to saturn soon, or maybe Jupi, at least until DoY, so I've a bias in wanting to make saturn more pluto-like :D
60 people on last night when I logged, 15 CIX. Sigh.

]v[ortice
24-04-04, 14:05
Sorry I don't like it.

I have 2 accounts and everyone knows who seven of mine and my missus' characters are. Simply because we have let people know.

Now The 8th character is my PE and I don't tell anyone that's me because sometimes I like to remain anonymous and just go and fight warbots on my own with none of the grief associated with the 30 DMs an hour my constructor gets.

By making your characters have a surname also, you force people to go the same/allied factions or some clans won't take them on.

Basically I feel this idea is limiting and takes away what I feel are the rights of customers away.

Now be honest... did someone kill you then log their alt and gank you back?

Mr_Snow
24-04-04, 14:07
I like this idea. I'm probably moving to saturn soon, or maybe Jupi, at least until DoY, so I've a bias in wanting to make saturn more pluto-like :D
60 people on last night when I logged, 15 CIX. Sigh.

So its a case of your server being dead so you want to change the others to be more like it even though the people playing there like it that way and have played like that since retail.

Anybody who doesnt like playing multi-char servers are welcome to go play jupiter.

Scikar
24-04-04, 14:13
First I have to say I like the idea. However, multiple accounts are just as much of a problem, and this is why I can't understand your reasoning. You play on Pluto, where someone can log an alt to come and attack you before their other char has even disappeared. And yet your solution would be applied to e.g. Saturn, without actually addressing your problem. Having played Pluto occasionally for a fair while, I am of the opinion that it is the minority who do not have access to more than one account.

That said, one good point about it is, there would not be a need for single char servers. So we could get stop the stupid "Pluto > Saturn because your actions affect your reputation" arguments etc. and merge the servers to make a larger population.

MrChumble
24-04-04, 15:21
So its a case of your server being dead so you want to change the others to be more like it even though the people playing there like it that way and have played like that since retail.

Yes. You win a cookie.

Anybody who doesnt like playing multi-char servers are welcome to go play jupiter.

I would in a heartbeat if they didn't all speak some crazy wierd language and would just use English :p

Benjie
24-04-04, 17:04
I like it a lot.

I hope it gets added.

tomparadox
24-04-04, 17:10
Ok, I'm throwing this out because it might actually resolve one of the biggest reasons I personally won't play on a multichar server. The scenario is usually the same:

You kill red Player Bob.
Bob logs out and 5 mins later, Player Gus ganks you...
wtf Player Gus?
Player Gus tells you to 'get some skillz n00b' because you killed his other lowbie char, Player Bob.

Or Player Joe is spamming trade like crazy because... he can.
His main is Player Jim and could care less if people hate Player Joe, he just wants to annoy people.

People are always hiding behind the anonymity of their 'unique' names on the multichar servers. So I'd like to propose this and hope that KK takes the idea up. Not only do I think it would be good for the servers, it would add a very nice touch to the "RP" portion of the "MMORPG" genre of the game.

With your account you should have to choose a Last Name. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it's unique. This Last Name gets tagged onto all the characters that account has on any server. At character creation time you get to pick a First Name and Nickname. Then when you finally get in-game, you can select how to display your name in chat, either by First Name Last Name, or by Nickname. So in essence the chats could stay the same with the one word named people if that's what they prefer, or a very cool RP feel would start to emerge as you would see some cool First Name/Last Name lists in local. I personally would still display "FuckNut" but I would at least have a first and last name you could look up in a citycomm.

Then on Saturn I could have 4 characters, all with the same identifiable Last Name, and clans would know "Joe Blow" in their clan and "Jack Blow" in the enemy clan... are the same person.

Just something that I remember from playing Project Entropia that I loved, moreso for the RP aspect there, but I think the premise really would help the atmosphere of the Multi-character servers here if KK insists on keeping them into DoY.

Rate/Comment away.

sounds good, but one thing, with your idia can you get it to display your name as say -=soulcalibur=- without the last name? or put the last name in a line of its own like faction and clan has... cus i wouldent whant my name showing up as -=soulcalibur=- joe or something...

SorkZmok
30-07-04, 17:24
5 stars.
Damn great idea.

ichinin
30-07-04, 17:28
No, no multi char servers at all. 1 slot is enough.

Birkoff
30-07-04, 17:36
it has good and bad points, i don't like the idea that ppl know who i cam even after i reroll. Usually reroll so that ppl don't.

Also if u saw a 0/2 chjar with the surname as some1 you hate who is cpped u gank them naturally. Which is very bad.

Good as bad more bad than good but a good start.

Maybe you can look up a players alts on the city com, then u won't get instand ganking if u saw some1 with a bad name in the aggies.

The Ottoman
30-07-04, 17:37

Rate/Comment away.

I would even go a little further then that. All 4 of those chars should be in the same faction. ;)

ezza
30-07-04, 17:43
no thanks.

i like my server the way it is

and no i dont think they should all be in one faction or you can do epics.

so what of jim killed you after you ganked bob, only issue i would have with it is if jim and bob were diffrent factions and the one he comes ganking you on is with a allied faction to you.

but then thats player mentality for you.

so err to this idea i say nay

Dribble Joy
30-07-04, 17:44
Or simply restrict each account to one faction and leave the naming system as is.

The Ottoman
30-07-04, 17:50
no thanks.

i like my server the way it is

and no i dont think they should all be in one faction or you can do epics.

so what of jim killed you after you ganked bob, only issue i would have with it is if jim and bob were diffrent factions and the one he comes ganking you on is with a allied faction to you.

but then thats player mentality for you.

so err to this idea i say nay

The epic is indeed a prob if my proposal would be implemented. Maybe you could get a temporarely leave from your faction just to do the epic.
On the other hand i don't care either. I'm with all my chars in one faction. I did leave them, did the epics and returned.

Jest
30-07-04, 17:51
Sorry my characters arent related to each other. Bad for roleplay. Teh lose!

ezza
30-07-04, 17:53
Sorry my characters arent related to each other. Bad for roleplay. Teh lose!
onoz they must be cos one person controls them........

eldiabloz
26-08-04, 19:59
Cool 5 stars ;)

mishkin
26-08-04, 20:25
Make it so :D

QuantumDelta
26-08-04, 21:11
Nope:

Simply because you fobbed it off when it came to pluto's multi accounters.

Hypocrisy at it's best.

-FN-
26-08-04, 21:22
Nope:

Simply because you fobbed it off when it came to pluto's multi accounters.

Hypocrisy at it's best.

... what does that even mean? :wtf:

I have FuckNut and FN (which stands for FuckNut for anyone who hasn't caught on in two years :wtf: ). I'm more of the mindset of people like Disturbed, who, yes, has multiple accounts, but they all start with 'Dist'. I have no qualms being identified on multiple chars and rather it be that way for everyone, then let people hide behind anonymity. I haven't said people on Pluto don't do that and I would never say that, but it's just a fact:

http://www.cryptophiles.net/icarus/pa-neocron.jpg

If there were a built in method to identify someone with a common denomitator, I think it would help dissuade the 'Anonymity' part of the equation *shrug*

If the 1-Slot players are being forced onto a Multi-Slot server, it would be nice to have some comprimise here.

solling
26-08-04, 21:44
i agree totally and scipher yes peops have multiple accounts but fact is it does not happen as much as it does on saturn or any multichar servers
i have played on pluto forever and i think that has happened to me once

i played on saturn for a month and ir prolly happened to me 10+ times

dunno if its the server that does it but thats how it is

QuantumDelta
26-08-04, 21:50
You go down the avenue of saying you already do this with your account, yet reason that people shouldn't have to simply because they are paying for a second one.
Heh.

--

Anyway, in regards of this, I don't particularly like it.

I realise that it's simply because of the position I used to be in, on uranus.

I'd sign on QD, and be PMed to high heaven, never get a chance to do anything other than social/diplomatic stuff apart from the occasional op fight, or duel when the server is empty.

Meanwhile: I sign on Iasius, and can spend hours without anyone bothering me.

Simply because even some of my own clan don't realise that I'm me on that name.

The same people have treated me differently on Iasius (considerably worse oddly enough), and then apollogised when they've found out who I am.

-- I don't hide who I am on any of my characters, if people ask me my alts:
Unless I know they are going to try to PK me on one of my noob chars on another server, I'll tell'em who I am.

-- Simple reasoning:
Not all of my characters neccisarily follow the same kind of notions towards the world.

QD is very confrontational with a lot of ego play, wont ever, ever back down especially when representing what he feels the majority of his clan want.

Kenshin is extremely cool and laid back, and tends to guide what people should be doing on a battlefield or at other times, tends not to get diplomatically involved very often.

Gokou never really speaks. (Ehh Tanks..)

Iasius is the quiet little spy who knows everything.

*shrugs*
completely different characters.

Unless addressed OOCly which happens regularly :/

Dribble Joy
26-08-04, 22:06
I could never play different personalities over several characters, which is mostly why I only have one char, I mean I have a hacker for OP taking purposes as my clan is so short of people, but other than that I never log anyone else.

My char is me, I cannot play someone I am not, it's a completely alien notion to me.
When you talk to DJ ingame, you talk to Dan Wyre in effect.
Even in a chat room I don't act anything different from who I am, it don't use it's anonymity at all, it's as if I am in a room with them.

I wish it were possible that we could have only 2 slot servers and multiple accounts weren't possible, but that won't happen.