PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Brain Implants to become a reality?

Vid Gamer
21-04-04, 21:35
April 15, 2004 -- It may sound like science fiction, but brain implants that generate action based on the power of human thought are about to become reality. This week the FDA approved the first clinical trial of such a device in paralyzed people.

The device, called the BrainGate system, uses a tiny silicone chip and electrodes implanted in the brain designed to allow people who can't move to operate a computer with their thoughts. Previous studies of the device in monkeys showed that it allowed the animals to use their brains to control cursor movements on a computer screen.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/85/98694.htm

I thought this was pretty cool. :D

plague
21-04-04, 21:39
haha uber soon enough we all gonna have to be pluged in in order to use comp lol very kewl kinda like Jony Mnemonic keke :D can you imagine to play nc with er thoughts lol i'd pwn so bad (not that i don't now lol):D

Researchers say the advances made in treating disabled and impaired people with brain implants may also have much broader implications in treating a wide range of ailments -- from depression to cerebral palsy.

lol hope this helps me *points under name* :D

Benjie
21-04-04, 21:40
I'm just thinking about that quote from Ghost in the Shell.
That one where there on the boat, and they talk about Science Fiction becoming reality.

The more and more I think about it, the more true that quote seems.

I'm going to try and Dig that quote up.

retr0n
21-04-04, 21:40
Leet, i want one

shodanjr_gr
21-04-04, 21:58
About damn time if you ask me.

Where can i buy one?

Benjie
21-04-04, 22:04
I can't find the Ghost in the Shell Quote.

Anybody else got it? It's so true!

plague
21-04-04, 22:05
lol i wanna pa like that haha be like 2 human sizes and fully controled by thought that be ill :D gime gimme gimme one now ...no two one with camo paint lol

rob444
21-04-04, 22:06
Think of this usage in games, nice AI. Knows what you are going to do next :)

jiga
21-04-04, 22:19
I want a psi core

plague
21-04-04, 23:08
I want a psi core

yep and DS to go with it :D

mmm psi attack 3 wouldn't be bad..... oh no fuck attack 3 i wanna be hybrid lol

Shadow Dancer
21-04-04, 23:17
*waits for someone to bring in Matrix philosophy*

:rolleyes:

J. Folsom
21-04-04, 23:20
Oh no, can't you see where this leads?!

Soon the machines will rise up, try and harness our biological energies for electricity purposes and make use of these brain implants to put us all into a make believe world!

AAAHHH!

:p

Actually that's neat, though I would be unsurprised if the thoughts of someone who has been paralyzed after leading a "normal" life before that could be rather... Shocking.

Heavyporker
22-04-04, 00:06
it's not *to become*, it ALREADY is reality.

the issue here is are the implants going to become popular, and perhaps even spin off in applications.

As I've said before, we've already got artifical eyes, ears, skin, etc etc etc.

SigmaDraconis
22-04-04, 00:36
so..when do i get my mech..

Vid Gamer
22-04-04, 01:18
it's not *to become*, it ALREADY is reality.

the issue here is are the implants going to become popular, and perhaps even spin off in applications.

As I've said before, we've already got artifical eyes, ears, skin, etc etc etc.

Yeah, so far these are used to help people out in the medical field, but I can see in the not so distant future having brain chips and other implants put into the body to enhance physical appearance, endurance, intellect, etc.

One day we will all be half human, half machine!!

Cytaur
22-04-04, 01:50
I want a shoulder gattling cannon or some sort of underarms rocket launchers and to control them with my thoughts ;)

jernau
22-04-04, 01:57
I've seen a video of the Brain Communicator in use. It's damned impressive but you wouldn't want to use it for games. It relies on you looking at the corners of the screen which each have a different colour blob in them. The sensors then recognise your brain's response to the colours and react accordingly. You have to stare at them for a time for it to respond so it's control interface is laggier than Lineage 2.

Amazing tech but really no use at all to a healthy person.

Best thing about that article is that Kevin Bloody-fool Warwick didn't manage to slime his way in to tell us all the Daleks are after him.

Kenjuten
22-04-04, 05:56
Hm...but is it possible to improve the reaction time of the implant's concepts?

...Well, better question..when will it be possible?

Heavyporker
22-04-04, 17:11
its crude tech and programming atm, even if it seems futuristic.

You KNOW it will improve.

I've already heard of huge strides in conchlear implants, before, they had to kinda mangle your ear and poke in huge electrode leads into your spine w/ relatively high voltages... now they can use varied shapes and lower voltages to damage your spine less and have BETTER hearing. I'm quite interested.

jiga
22-04-04, 17:19
I could just imagine having an arm that does what u think. Could lead to some embarassing scenarios :p

Heavyporker
22-04-04, 17:48
look up Stelarc, he already made a third arm-implant that he controls with some stomach and leg muscles, fucking impressive, GO AND LOOK!

he also made a 6-leg robot platform that you control with your legs, walks like you do... also some other freaky stuff.

plague
22-04-04, 21:02
look up Stelarc, he already made a third arm-implant that he controls with some stomach and leg muscles, fucking impressive, GO AND LOOK!

he also made a 6-leg robot platform that you control with your legs, walks like you do... also some other freaky stuff.
can't find linnky pls :D

nm got it, hehe prety kewl