PDA

View Full Version : Networking help needed

james_finn
21-04-04, 00:28
Hey guys, I know some of you are net wizards so maybe you could help me out with this huge problem I have at the moment.

Okay I have just returned from my easter holidays and have just hooked up my PC to our network again, and now I am unable to connect to any games on the LAN, and no one is able to connect to any games that I host on the LAN.

Specifically Diablo II, I am unable to host a game at all, it just has the message "Failed to Join Game", and when trying to connect to my friend on the network, it just flashes up failed to join to server on my screen without even checking the IP that I have given it.

The same is also true for UT2K4. Another problem is that I am unable to Ping the other PC on the network through Command Prompt, but I am able to see the shared resources, and have even copied files from another machine to mine, so it seems that the network is working.

Another (un)related problem is that of msn, I am unable to connect to the service, and I recieve the error message of

"We were unable to sign you into the .NET messanger service, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your internet connection. Please make sure you are connected to the internet. 0x81000301

Click help Button to check the current service status"

I do not have a firewall running, and am using the onboard LAN port on my motherboard Asus A7N8X - X

I am unable to Ping myself or any machine on the network, yet they are able to ping me, the following is the ipconfig/all copied and pasted:

C:\Documents and Settings\James>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : delphi
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Control
ler
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-D0-5B-AF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Keysurf:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.172.45.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 195.172.45.47
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.172.142.20
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

N e help would be nice

Delphi :)

uber java
21-04-04, 00:35
Do you have a router?

If so, your Default Gateway should be the IP of your router (i.e. my router IP is 192.168.1.1, my computers are 192.168.1.100-106).

james_finn
21-04-04, 00:39
nope no router, and its just a simple hub inbetween the two PCs (we have no broadband here a uni :()

BTW welcome to PIMP :) Im the talent scout :)

Delphi :angel:

Morganth
21-04-04, 00:42
Is the PC in question XP?

james_finn
21-04-04, 00:46
Yes the PC is running XP!

Oh G.0.D. Help me! :P

Delphi

Morganth
21-04-04, 00:49
Yes the PC is running XP!

Oh G.0.D. Help me! :P

Delphi

Is its workgroup set to the same workgroup as the other PC(s) on the network?

james_finn
21-04-04, 00:52
Yes the workgroup is set as the same as I am able to see the other PCs on the network, and am also able to transfer files from them. I belive it is a software/settings problem with TCP/IP protocols, and do not know how to fix it.

I have followed the example to reset the TCP/IP protocols and nothing has changed.

I am unable to Ping any machine including my own, or any websites.

Please help

delphi

Lexxuk
21-04-04, 00:52
have you tried running the network wizard again, to make sure all your settings are right?

james_finn
21-04-04, 00:56
yup, done that about 10 times

XSuneX
21-04-04, 00:59
If you can't ping anything, I would reinstall the Network card or replace it if that did not work.

Uninstall it take it out and pretend your installing it for the first time.

Do it from safe mode if you have to.

james_finn
21-04-04, 01:04
Its an onboard LAN port, (As i stated on the orignal post) Have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the adaptor.

delphi

XSuneX
21-04-04, 01:09
Its an onboard LAN port, (As i stated on the orignal post) Have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the adaptor.

delphiThen only other thing as far as reinstalling it would be to disable it from the BIOS uninstall from safe mode.

Reinable and reinstall.

And if that don't work, disable it and install a Network Card INTO the Motherboard.

Then at least ping your self.

if that don't work then save all your files & reinstall the entire OS from scratch.

{MD}GeistDamnit
21-04-04, 01:12
why are you using a hub? why not a crossover cable? if it's only 2 pc's all you will need to do is give one the net in from your cable/dsl box and use the crossover cable to connect that as the parent to the other pc.

james_finn
21-04-04, 01:15
We use a HUB because we connect Laptops occasionally to the network, plus, it makes it easier to use a hub, as we do not have a long enough crossover cable.

Given this a crossover cable will make no difference as I can still not ping myself.

Am about to try to uninstall from bios, be back in 10, please post if you have n e good ideas pls

delphi

Heavyporker
21-04-04, 01:22
good to see you james.

if you're truly in need of G.0.D.'s good grace, the option exists to email him from his ingame name, something about goign to User CP or something.

james_finn
21-04-04, 01:38
okay can n e one give me some real help pls? Nothing has worked so far and I am posting on two different forums for advice, this is driving me up the wall help pls.

Delphi

Richard Blade
21-04-04, 02:03
Does the uni network use DHCP? If so, set your system to obtain ip automatically. Otherwise, it looks like you have your IP addy setup as if it were the network host machine.

I'm not a professional network engineer, but all the experience I do have shows me that your current IP addy is the one that usually assigns the IP address' to other machines on that network.

capt-o
21-04-04, 02:33
While i'm a little rusty, iirc your ip and your gateway should not be the same, also the last 3 numbers of your gateway... i don't think 255 is "acceptable" try changing it to anything but 255 and 0.

do these one at a time and keep a record of each change so you don't totally screw yourself

good luck :angel:

rob444
21-04-04, 03:38
Disable your XP firewall.

Rightclick network adapter > Properties > Advanced (tab)

Disable the check box.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see the message about firewall, but make sure it isnt on ;)

Cubico
21-04-04, 07:02
Hi,

yes, you should try to activate dhcp.
You need to know the dhcp server in your network.

Have you taken the computer with you while you were on holiday? Have you been connected to another network and changed your settings? Maybe the school's network setup have been changed while you were on holiday?

What is this PPP adapter Keysurf? Can you remove/disable it? How many network cable sockets does your computer have? Maybe you put the network cable in the wrong one?

XSuneX
21-04-04, 07:17
By this time you could of had reinstalled your entire OS. :)

Does everyone agree the problem is with in the ciomputer its self, and as long as the hardware is taken out of the equation, and it wont be untill a New network card is put into the MB, then why not reinstall OS? It would be done by now.

Save the learning and guessing for later.

Hello, this is Tech Support, how may I help you?

Caller: I got this problem bla bla bla.

Tech Support: Call us back when you reinstalled the OS. Click. :D

but it actualy worked most of the time, and better then two week of trying to figure it out.

Confucius: It is not the problem that needs to be figured out or solved it is the solution and getting back in action that is important.

OR, whatever, I'm tired. :)

Wilco
21-04-04, 07:48
What does it say exactly, when doing a : "ping 127.0.0.1" in a DOS-box?
(that's "localhost"==your own machine)

EDIT
You stated above, that you couldn't ping yourself.. how did you do that?
As stated by me above (127.0.0.1) or using your machines network name?
/EDIT

Regards, Wilco

james_finn
21-04-04, 13:02
Okay well thanks for all the useful advice I have finally managed to get the damned thing to work, it seemed that part of the zonealarm firewall was still active even though I had stopped it from running, as in an act of despiration I removed the program, and lo and behold I could ping myself and the rest of the machines!

Again thanks for all the help

delphi

Could a mod now pls close this thread :D

Wilco
21-04-04, 14:30
Running without a firewall is worse than running a system with zonealarm (i know, the real advantage lies in a proper configuration, but even with standardconfig, one is better off than without any).

My advice would be to install some better (bought or freeware) Firewall.
I'm using "Kerio Personal Firewall", a program that is free for personal use (learning mode is quite selfexplanatory, and when you know why/that a program has to connect outwards, then you can allow/deny it's communication).

HTH, Wilco

P.S.: if you want to stick to zonealarm (maybe because you already know how to configure it and don't want to learn for a new one ;)), there are some threads around the forum here stating why zonealarm falied to work with NC. Maybe you find your answer in one of these threads.