PDA

View Full Version : To those that played Fallout/Fallout2.. question -

Heavyporker
20-04-04, 05:16
(don't drop the hammer, NID! Nooo!)

I kept hearing raves about fallout on this forum (yeah... points at shad)

I wanted to ask would this set be ok for trying out? I d/l'ed the fallout 1 demo from the website.. once I get it setup on lappie and if I like it... perhaps I'll spring for the games.

Is this set okay for using with windows xp?

this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.interplay-store.com/product.asp?part_no=FC-C95-1245-4&find%5Fcategory=&find%5Fdescription=&find%5Fpart%5Fdesc=&IPPC=pp_315

Cytaur
20-04-04, 06:56
I'd like to know too if fallout 1/2 work on XP...

Eldan Sontim
20-04-04, 07:00
I just re-installed fallout 2 on my comp the other week, just to play through it again and it works fine on xp. That was the original release, so I assume that the box set will work.

StryfeX
20-04-04, 08:02
They work, but I had some probs getting FO1 to work properly. You might need to enable Compatability Mode first.

--Stryfe

suler
20-04-04, 09:33
Fallout 1 and 2 work on xp but to make them work you have to do a few things to not get the black screen glitch:

First set your screen res to 800 x 600 and 16 bit.

Second go to start, run, type in msconfig then go to the start up tab and disable all. Then go to the services tab click hide all microsoft services and then also click disable all. After that restart.

The third final step is to right click the fallout exe, go to properties then compatibility tab and check compatibility mode and set it to 95. You will also want to check run in 256 colors and run in 640 x 480 resolution.

Barak
20-04-04, 10:19
They work fine with some compatibility tweaks (as suler posted)

but if you want to run mods (new weapons cars etc) you'll need modrunner - only one i've found to work with XP

also

www.duckandcover.net
www.nma-fallout.com

Jesterthegreat
20-04-04, 11:45
i run f/o 1 + 2 on my PC.

Win XP Pro corp edition

works fine, no compatibility options needed fiddling with

J. Folsom
20-04-04, 12:54
I've had no problems with running Fallout 1/2 on my computer either, so slightly confused by all the stuff advised here.

Of course, might be that I've already done all the suggested tweaks ages ago, though I've never had to change my resolution and colour depth.

Jesterthegreat
20-04-04, 12:59
I've had no problems with running Fallout 1/2 on my computer either, so slightly confused by all the stuff advised here.

Of course, might be that I've already done all the suggested tweaks ages ago, though I've never had to change my resolution and colour depth.

yeah i never touched the res / colour depth on my fallout's compatability options either...

and yes my PC was tweaked before i tried to play too haha

infact the only game i have had issues with was DAoC (but i havent even tried to play that in at least 6 months) and i think that was due to my low RAM at the time.

Heavyporker
20-04-04, 17:15
cool... so if I like the fallout demo, I'll most likely buy the game... 10 bucks is hard to beat and I wanna be part of the legend! :p

LOL... J.Folsom is infamous around those parts... LOL! :lol:

Dazist
20-04-04, 18:24
You can get Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics in one packaged for pretty cheap (under 20 euros). Definately worth of getting if you are into crpgs. Especially Fallout 2 which can be played through with many many different ways. There is this big goal you are after but how you reach it is up to you. For example you can play as evil gungho slaver, good guy with good diplomacy skills or maybe thief. Almost all quests got at least few different ways of finishing. And most importantly, being evil pays off :)

What comes to playing Fallouts, I suggest you get latest unofficial patches to fix some minor bugs and glitches. You can get those patches from http://www.nma-fallout.com. I've never had any problems playing Fallouts under win2000 and my friend reports that no problems under XP either.

Organics
20-04-04, 18:29
I couldn't get FA2 to run under my WinXP :mad: So I'll have to try these tweaks.

My brother also can't get it to run properly, it starts up ok, you can get in and play ok but once you get to the little cutscene in the Wastelands that you can't get out of seeing, the combat mode never finishes :( (The one that intros as "You run into some people in the wrong place at the wrong time" or something like that)

Benjie
20-04-04, 18:46
Both Fallout games Don't work on XP, in my experience.

Who cares? There awesome games! Just rumage around second hand shops and pick up and old Pentium 133 Windows 95 computer for 50 pounds. It's well worth doing, in my opinion.

*loves old games*

Aziraphale
20-04-04, 21:13
Both Fallout games Don't work on XP, in my experience.

Who cares? There awesome games! Just rumage around second hand shops and pick up and old Pentium 133 Windows 95 computer for 50 pounds. It's well worth doing, in my opinion.

*loves old games*

Could just partition a gig on your hard drive to run in 98 and install all your old games onto there :)

Benjie
20-04-04, 21:18
Could just partition a gig on your hard drive to run in 98 and install all your old games onto there :)

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. But I don't know how to do it. :(

I wouldn't mind installing Windows 95 so I can run Dos based games like System Shock 1 and Daggerfall...

How do I Partian a section of my Hard Disk? I've never had to do it before.

Jesterthegreat
21-04-04, 01:09

or just run it in XP... as both do work on xp :)

Organics
21-04-04, 01:34
Not for everyone it seems! :)

Myself included, several problems running it on XP.

98 appears to be a viable solution, luckily I've never taken Win98 off my PC, knowing how useless MS are at backwards compatibility ;)

Heavyporker
21-04-04, 15:52
oh jeez sweet crahn, the demo's running fuckshit on my computer...

it wouldnt run until I set it to run in win98 compatiblity, and then the mouse movement is just shit, slow as hell fps too.

Or is that PART of the game?!

jernau
21-04-04, 16:26
My original versions of both 1 and 2 run fine inder Win2K SP4 with no tweaking at all.

Anyone who plays old games should look at this (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1). It makes life a thousand times easier though it's not needed or useful for Fallout specifically.

@HeavyPorker - that's not normal.

Heavyporker
21-04-04, 16:37
you mean 1-3 fps an mouse-jumping isn't normal? 0_o

what do you think is causing it?

jernau
21-04-04, 17:01
you mean 1-3 fps an mouse-jumping isn't normal? 0_o

what do you think is causing it?
Not sure but try turning off compatability.

Heavyporker
24-04-04, 01:48
didnt work - without compatiblity, fallout demo doesnt even run. still hideous fps and crap mouse movement.

suler
24-04-04, 06:53
I don't know what's wrong with the demo but you shouldn't judge the compatibility on the demo because it was made way before fallout1.

Also fallout 2 doesn't seem to have any problems on xp. However the black screen in fallout1 problem I've had happen to myself multiple times on multiple systems, and it's happened to everyone I know who has tried to run it on xp.

jernau
24-04-04, 08:08
Is it Fallout 1 or 2 you are having trouble with HeavyPorker?

Not that I can think of anything for either that would cause that but it might help narrow it down.

In the meantime I am tempted to just blame XP :p.

Heavyporker
24-04-04, 23:56
yo jernau, lookit http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=97477

meanwhile, its the demo I'm having problems with. I'm kinda leery about buying the combo fallout1/2 pack if I'm having problems with something that, technically, is the test version of fallout.

jernau
25-04-04, 00:07
I don't think I ever ran the demo. In fact I'm not even sure what it looks like or what parts of the game it shows.

I'd be surprised if the full versions on a recent re-release wouldn't work on XP though as my old versions are fine on 2K both patched and un-patched (you really need to patch Fallout 2). I don't use XP but in theory it can't fuck things up that much.

**follows link**

Q`alooaith
25-04-04, 00:36
Don't you have to format the HD to put a partion in..

you can just lob win 95 on your HD and run as duel boot, which also works..

The only real problem with win XP is it don't have dos, it's got a sorta pretend dos...

BTW, I've had TES; Arena running on my XP machine no problems..

You'll not hit many problem's, it might not know what your grafix card is, or soundcard..

In case anyone wonder's about repackaged old releases working on XP machines, Homeworld Cataclysm supposidly does not work on XP, 2000 or ME... Well it's not supported on them OS's, though it does work..

just suck it and see, old game so won't break the bank to buy to try.

jernau
25-04-04, 01:18
Windows 95 won't add the necessary changes to make a dual-boot system if you put it on after NT/2K/XP. Also you may find 95 can't read the harddisk-format at all.

If you want to change/add partitions you'll need something like Partition Magic or Volume Manager (depending on OS) but if you change the boot partition you need to know how to re-patch it to find your 2K/XP install.

If you want a dos-box under XP/2K/NT use this (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1).

Cataclysm worked for me on 2K straight out the ISO ;).

Q`alooaith
25-04-04, 01:34
if you use NTFS then no it won't..

but I'm pretty sure it can read FAT32 format..

yea, cata worked for me right outa the box..

It's just on the back it say's, not supported...

So, the moral is, don't read the bleeding boxes...

jernau
25-04-04, 01:41
if you use NTFS then no it won't..

but I'm pretty sure it can read FAT32 format..
Correct, assuming it's 95b.

/edit - I'm sure there's potential for a dig at KK in that "believe the box" comment ;)

Q`alooaith
25-04-04, 01:44
Correct, assuming it's 95b.

true..

I've not been able to get swat to work on my XP machine, but then it never did work too good on my 95 machine either.

suler
25-04-04, 05:29
The demo doesn't show anything that was in the real game, it is like some little crap you can do that is unrelated like the neocron singleplayer demo.

Also the UI is completely different and the demo uses a very very early build of the engine. I really wouldn't judge it by how well the demo runs considering it didn't even run right on all win95 systems when it came out.

Heavyporker
25-04-04, 05:38
so.... go straight out and buy fallout 1/2 ?

suler
25-04-04, 05:46
Definitely, both the fallouts should be played by everybody.

EDIT: and I recently installed it on my xp computer and I have a few times so I'm pretty much positive you won't have any problems besides the black screen thing.