PDA

View Full Version : make death mean something

Ryuben
19-04-04, 22:25
ok we all know the argument, but when u die it should mean something not just, i need a poke.

So i know its cliche but why not have XP loss

say 3 % for a gr and 5% for a rez.

Make it so when u die its annoying or it actually MEANS something

BAH just my 2 peneth

t0tt3
19-04-04, 22:29
Allways said that but most of the NC players hate that idea...
But thats because I played LoD most of the time hardcore tho but that wouldnt be a option in a mmorpg :p

jiga
19-04-04, 22:31
ok we all know the argument, but when u die it should mean something not just, i need a poke.

Make it so when u die its annoying or it actually MEANS something

BAH just my 2 peneth
Oh yes what a good idea: lets punish the noobs even more after they have been killed by the evil pker :rolleyes:

XSuneX
19-04-04, 22:33
Well when PC's are more close in power and you do not have to be maxed out to even have a chance to kill anybody then I'll agree, a little.

t0tt3
19-04-04, 22:33
Oh yes what a good idea: lets punish the noobs even more after they have been killed by the evil pker :rolleyes:

Well if you put 3% of 10 000 thats 300 points.. Hell killing 2 roaches will give you that... The more you have = higer lvl the harder hit so your noob buuuhuu talk aint that good.

Or maybe you dont wanna loose lvl instead of getting some noob :rolleyes:

cRazy2003
19-04-04, 22:58
to be honest if dieing was like that i would avoid pepper park even more, and i bet some people would to, and it would mean LOT more zoning and stealthing to avoid dying

Shadow Dancer
19-04-04, 23:02
On a related note, a corpse should auto-gr or begin to lose XP if it's just waiting there for a ressurect.

Maybe like after 2-3 mins. It could either gr to the apt or start losing XP.

It's lame how someone can wait for like 15 minutes for a ppu alt/clannie/friend/lover/brother/etc... to come and rezz.

As for XP loss for just dying, I don't like it. Maybe something else. :/

jiga
19-04-04, 23:07
Well if you put 3% of 10 000 thats 300 points.. Hell killing 2 roaches will give you that... The more you have = higer lvl the harder hit so your noob buuuhuu talk aint that good.

Or maybe you dont wanna loose lvl instead of getting some noob :rolleyes:
Well if the xp loss doesn't matter then wats the point of the xp loss?
EDIT: buhuuu noob

MegaCorp
19-04-04, 23:12
Nah. Already means something. In non-war zones i drop a belt and maybe lose something i highly value. In war zones it is probably because i am in an Op fight, and since Op fights are the only fun left for me in this game, i spend every second while recovering from synaptic impairment pounding my keyboard and swearing a blue streak because i am missing out on the fun. My blood boils everytime i die in a fight because it takes SO damned long to get back again. Often enough the fight is over by then. So i think the penalty of death is ALREADY high enough - because i pay a high price ... in anger, stress, and frustration ... and significant loss of gameplay fun. As a result, i am more alert in fights than i used to be and really focus on improving my skills and staying alive in situations where in the past i would usually die. So death is already plenty "meaningful" enough for me, even though it may not be for you.

Spook

P.S. i am mostly a roving sniper, so very rarely ever have a chance to be rezed.

MrChumble
19-04-04, 23:14
OP wars are short and crap enough as they are without any worse penalties. If anything go the other way and make dying in an OP war less of a pain in the ass.

Biznatchy
19-04-04, 23:15
You could just accept the fact that death in this game with the SI, and belt drop, and the poke, implant wear, means alot more then most games out there. They did the XP thing in Earth and Beyond, oh wait that game just announced its closing shop. Maybe not such a good idea.

Anyway death is what it is. It fine the way it is.

jiga
19-04-04, 23:20
OP wars are short and crap enough as they are without any worse penalties. If anything go the other way and make dying in an OP war less of a pain in the ass.
Exactly. The people who want this idea implemented should be able to sign up for it somewhere and then me and whoever else has any brain cells left can live life in Neocron without the xp loss. Sounds fair to me coz both sides get wat they want

TraumaTeam
19-04-04, 23:23
Neocron is modeled after an FPS. As such (to steal from Red Dwarf), "death isn't the handicap it one was".

The little fighting there is now would be even more diminished since people would decide it wasn't worth it to fight.

Plus, what kind of penalty would you consider just? Kicked off-line for the rest of the day? 100K GR fee? Losing XP? As a noob trying to level against heavier MOBs, I think losing XP will cause people to stop playing.

Shadow Dancer
19-04-04, 23:24
Death already means something.

Look

death

n.

1. The act of dying; termination of life.

2. The state of being dead.

3. The cause of dying: Drugs were the death of him.

4. A manner of dying: a heroine's death.

5. often Death A personification of the destroyer of life, usually represented as a skeleton holding a scythe.

a. Bloodshed; murder.
b. Execution.

7. Law. Civil death.

8. The termination or extinction of something: the death of imperialism.

retr0n
19-04-04, 23:30
No xp loss... 3% XP loss on 172mill is like 500k XP or something...
Now imaging a day full of OP wars, well, imaging a few hours, you win some
you loose some, and after the fights are over you have died like 6 times, that's
3 mill in XP... No thnx. (or even more XP if it's 5% for rezz...)

Aziraphale
19-04-04, 23:30
¬_¬ witty.

Anyway, bad idea, terrible even.

jiga
19-04-04, 23:32
Maybe ppl shuld RP more and pretend they're real pissed off after they died.

jiga
19-04-04, 23:35
No xp loss... 3% XP loss on 172mill is like 500k XP or something...
Now imaging a day full of OP wars, well, imaging a few hours, you win some
you loose some, and after the fights are over you have died like 6 times, that's
3 mill in XP... No thnx. (or even more XP if it's 5% for rezz...)
3% of 172mil is 500k? i know a good calculator shop...

retr0n
19-04-04, 23:36
3% of 172mil is 500k? i know a good calculator shop...

... or something....
dude i'm tired... ok...

edit: lol missed a few 0's :lol:

jiga
19-04-04, 23:38
... or something....
dude i'm tired... ok...

edit: lol missed a few 0's :lol:
lol don't wry i kno the feeling

t0tt3
19-04-04, 23:38
Instead of exp make it cash loss :p
Now we have a money drainer hehehe

retr0n
19-04-04, 23:41
Instead of exp make it cash loss :p
Now we have a money drainer hehehe

No cause then everybody would just keep all their money in stock-x / clan even
more then they do now, and ppl would just get pissed off at the random
stock-x bug.. i know alot of ppl who have lost 40 mill more then once

t0tt3
19-04-04, 23:49
No cause then everybody would just keep all their money in stock-x / clan even
more then they do now, and ppl would just get pissed off at the random
stock-x bug.. i know alot of ppl who have lost 40 mill more then once

thats because you are boeg :p Come here and I will give you a drink moving 1 May hey "inflyttnings fest" at 16th or so ;)

Benjie
19-04-04, 23:51
No.

I would actually prefere it if implants have less chance of falling out.

I beleive if u die you should be peenalised for 5 minuits through Synaptic imparement, then allowed to get back into the fight, without having to head back to NC to get poked. There should still be a chance of loosing an implant, but it should be related to poker skill. Pure pokers keep em in for longer.

retr0n
20-04-04, 00:01
thats because you are boeg :p Come here and I will give you a drink moving 1 May hey "inflyttnings fest" at 16th or so ;)

sweet :)
I'll try and make it, as long as we have no stupid projects going on...

Richard Blade
20-04-04, 00:02
Death means more to some people than others it seems.
A lowbie who joins a clan and gets killed for whatever reason:
Has to get pokes and tip the poker.
Has to buy back inventory.
Has lost a half hour of experience or money gaining if death is caused while hunting. As, if they want to continue, they still have to get back out there.
Implants take damage from falling out.
Dropped a belt in a nonwarzone if not LE'd. (ie, the mob hunting.)
If they dropped a gun, then they spend time to get it ressed and built if they didn't already.

I guess the same goes for a high level character except they usually have enough money to not worry about it. Although, I've seen several clanmembers who are begging for money cause they can't GR to a hunting spot or elsewhere. As I've seen, most clans won't give their members money.

To me, death has plenty of penalty.

Edit: Something else I just thought of. 3 of my 4 characters have their LE's in right now. Since LE users don't drop belts, I'd be willing to take a small percentage loss of XP for not dropping that belt.

suler
20-04-04, 01:42
They should just go back to the old quickbelt drop system in my opinion. Of course that brings up one of the reasons they got rid of it in the first place, people would just put their guns into their backpack not to lose them.

So I think it should send a message to the server every 10 seconds or so saying whats in your quickbelt and drops an item out of those wether you put it away or not.

LiL T
20-04-04, 02:08
The reason why you can't do these things is cos it pisses people off people would cry and leave not good

Estabin
20-04-04, 03:18
Nah don't like it, lose 3% xp in every skill? Hooo boy that would hurt some classes more than others. I would hate to lose con xp on a tank after having bad luck, same thing with a monk and int xp... not to mention losing Psi xp on every other character and having to do missions in order to build it back up... I think it would piss too many people off at this point and be too drastic a change.

amfest
20-04-04, 04:38
On a related note, a corpse should auto-gr or begin to lose XP if it's just waiting there for a ressurect.

Maybe like after 2-3 mins. It could either gr to the apt or start losing XP.

It's lame how someone can wait for like 15 minutes for a ppu alt/clannie/friend/lover/brother/etc... to come and rezz.

As for XP loss for just dying, I don't like it. Maybe something else. :/
Yea i've brought up the decay quite a bit. I agree with that. I'm not certain about xp loss for just regular dying not because I would personally hate it but because I know it would put quite a bit of people off. Then again we could just ask them to slip it in for bdoy so as it pisses off some veterens and they leave .. the new influx of players will just take it as something common :D

So what penalty? maybe after a certain level you have to pay to get replicated again and you lose a faction point or 2 for not living up strong for your faction? .. I dont' know. And you can actually go into debt with things like this. Like if you're killed way too often you can go into negative NC and diamond takes away your apt to pay off debt if you fall below a certain amount . .lol.

StryfeX
20-04-04, 08:42

say 3 % for a gr and 5% for a rez.Ok... so you want a capped player to lose a max of 5.16 million XP for dieing and GRing... and 8.6 million XP for getting a rez?

Err... No.

That's like 1 level every 3-4 deaths. Are you nuts? o_O

--Stryfe

IceStorm
20-04-04, 09:42
No.

What I don't get is that you're a Monk. You really want to lose 3% to 5% of your INT XP per death? I guess if you're a PPU it won't really matter, until KK figures out how to nerf your protection without nerfing everyone else's...

Stigmata
20-04-04, 10:03
fucking shite idea.

i dont wanna level on a char for 3 hours to get 13 mill for a level only to be 100k away and then someone gank me while im hunting.

12.9 mill - 3% = like 350k not alot but enough to really piss me off.

stick your lame idea where the sun dont shine, EQ is a game for u, i believe when u die u lose all the EXP for the level ur at. FUN FUN FUN

Crest
20-04-04, 10:53
Result would be everyone staying LE... Why ... I work my ass off to get EXP... then go hunt and hack a wb ... while hacking some twat shoots me in the back and I die ... Lost 3% of my level 90 dex = 3% of 90 mill, thats 2.7 mill loss for doing nothing but trying to get there ....

And some how this seems like a good idea ..... Mebbe think about it a little harder...

As for Cash ... at op war you die, 6k to get back pack , 5k for tips for poker (MY tipping value), another 4k to get out there (or close enough) plus the initial out lay of 4k ... If you a pure pvp you may not have a lot of cash as you not doing mobs ... .means that a total of 20k spent just on 1 op war / death ....

Scikar
20-04-04, 10:59
It's near impossible to cap Tank CON and monk INT as it is. Add XP loss with these suggested values and it will take 3 days hunting to regain the XP lost on one death. No thanks.

A better idea is to rework the item drop system. Unlock all belts and remove safe slots, but increase the drop rate for tech parts by a lot to compensate. And add a message system so that if somebody loots your belt within a certain time period after your death you are told who it is, in case someone in a team with you tries to steal it.

n3m
20-04-04, 11:06
stupid idea imo

yes i like BF/UT