PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the Playerbase and KK Closer Together.

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 13:39
I would like KK to appoint a committee of 10 interested runners to compile a list of 10 questions from the community per month.

Right now I feel that there are many questions being unanswered on this board simply because they come up in new topics week after week.

So to re-iterate, a committee of 10 seasoned, paying customers who have the respect of the community (election?) to decide which questions require answering this month. All we would require from KK is a response to each of the ten questions. Could even be a feature and a sticky for all to read the Q&A session.

Very easy to implement... all runners have access to the forums and we could host an IRC room to discuss the burning issues and prioritise which needs to be answered and why etc.

Please vote and rate if you feel it is appropriate.

ezza
19-04-04, 14:12
didnt they do that a few times long time ago.

or am i thinking of something else, its been so long that i cant remember :lol:

naimex
19-04-04, 14:34
I thought that was the point of having

Faction Councillers and Faction Chairmen

was all about.

anyways, yes it should be there.

Benjie
19-04-04, 14:38
Yes. I would like to be part of that comitte, but knowing my *cough* reputation *cough* I doubt I would get in. :(

Even though I am a GM on another mmorpg, and a 3D mapper, aswell as an experienced gamer. :(

But yeah I agree completely.

*edit*
I know 2 people who should deffinetly get considered if this is done.
I would just like to point out Marx and Heavyporker, who seem to spend a lot of there free time thinking about ways to benefit Neocron, and who have contributed a lot. ;)

Mr_Snow
19-04-04, 14:39

was all about.

That was more for organising events and roleplaying, and we all know how well that works.

In theory its a good idea but in reality KK would probably ignore whatever was said and/or bullshit to whoever was picked so it wouldnt accomplish much.

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 14:44
No disrespect to FCs... but if either you don't have one for you faction on your server; or your one never shows up... they're useless.

I'd envisage this committee to be more interested in gameplay issues rather than roleplay also.

I bet each of us could think of ten questions each that we want answers for. I'd like to formalise this and try and get the most popular and burning questions answered by KK. I'm not asking for MJS to answer them himself... just someone 'in the know' with the correct authority to disclose what is appropriate.

I feel that if KK and the community start to work together more... we both can make Neocron a better place. A partnership of this kind would be mutually beneficial.

Benjie
19-04-04, 14:49
v[ortice']No disrespect to FCs... but if either you don't have one for you faction on your server; or your one never shows up... they're useless.

I'm proud to say that my FC is on regulally, and does a lot for the Faction too.

I'm Black Dragon on pluto.
My FC is what makes me proud to be Black Dragon.

Original monk
19-04-04, 14:51

was all about.

i wanted to give ya a reasonable clear answer on this but everything i type seems to offensive towards them FC's so i better dont type :)

but its a good idea, altough i think everyone should have the right to ask a (decent) question to KK and see it answered.

dont they have some sort of official PR/spokesperson where ya can mail all youre (serieus) questions to ?

and i dont mean a supportquestion by this no ...

altough when ya have real question ya can always ask em here on the forums, and if ya whine hard and long enough they will answer em anyway :P

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 15:06
altough when ya have real question ya can always ask em here on the forums, and if ya whine hard and long enough they will answer em anyway :P

That is not always the case.

Take for example Parashock... Campaign after Campaign... no official word. (for the record I am not a campaigner... but that doesn't mean these people should have gotten an answer).

-------

Take for Example if the committee is implemented and an interesting brainport idea is posted on the forums that gets a lot of positive feedback and the majority of this community is for it. Would it not add more weight if the committee approved the idea and recommended it to KK?

Far too many ideas have been passed over IMO and there are some Gems in the Brainport if you look through the archives.

As with all things Neocron, KK has the final say. But every little helps.

Organics
19-04-04, 16:41
Yeah, great idea :)

*votes Yes*

*rates*

Hopefully if this comes about, we WON'T be fobbed off with empty excuses and walls of silence. (Hey that sounds like our politicians :eek: lol :D)

Original monk
19-04-04, 16:43
v[ortice']That is not always the case.

Take for example Parashock... Campaign after Campaign... no official word. (for the record I am not a campaigner... but that doesn't mean these people should have gotten an answer).

-------

Take for Example if the committee is implemented and an interesting brainport idea is posted on the forums that gets a lot of positive feedback and the majority of this community is for it. Would it not add more weight if the committee approved the idea and recommended it to KK?

Far too many ideas have been passed over IMO and there are some Gems in the Brainport if you look through the archives.

As with all things Neocron, KK has the final say. But every little helps.

its obvious that they wonna keep parashock in, they allready did a great effort by reducing the casttime and effect of the spell, i think that was the answer aimed at parahaters ... that parashitdiscussion is busy for about 2 years now he :/ ... plus thats also the danger of a committee ... if those 10 people say: yes we would like to get it out then that has nothing to do with the mayority of this game nomore ... but with the most influencial one of the 10 , the one that can convince he's other 9 brothers ...

or: the one that yells the hardest wins ... nomather what the rest thinks :)

ffcourse KK stays the final decisionmaker ... but its dangerous to get a euh commitee of 10 player represants ... theres no way 10 people can respressent our entire community :/ especially not this weird community where there are so many opinions as there are communitymembers :)

and maybe with para its in youre advance (if ya dislike para and the whole commitee votes: we want it out) , but the future will bring other situations..

and for the brainportidea: yeah youre right, it would add alot of weight: but as it is now: when someone posts a nice cool idea and about 300 people vote yes, and 2 people vote now, then i think the message is pretty obvious also ... wich still doesnt means that KK will put it in ...

see the brainport as there shoppingcenter, they yust wonder around in the brainport time by time and when they see a nice idea, easy implementable then they will add it ... if there is a slightest doubt/problem then they wont ...

but you are completely right mortice: we need to find some system/commitee or sumthing that brings KK even closer to the player ... only if i see the mal-information sumthimes on this forum :/ players delliberatly giving desinformation yust to get that certain aspect of the game changed so they can enjoy there own char/class ... there not trying to make neocron better ... there trying to make it easier on emselves :/

from some previous changes i also tought: common why did they ever do this ? if ya would of asked nomather wich player they would of called you fools :) like for example: nerfing the disruptor :)

anyways, i still like the idea alot, but with this community ya gotta be carefull he :P

good luck :)

darknessfairy
19-04-04, 16:44
Definately a good idea. I support you whole heartidly. If you need any help gettin approval from KK, i am very persuasive *flashes boobs*....:lol:

___T-X____
19-04-04, 16:44
Great idea, 5*****

btw nice to c u dud3r

Organics
19-04-04, 16:56
Bleh wouldn't let me rate on teh edit.

Bah.

*rates again* :D

Shadow Dancer
19-04-04, 17:11
I like the idea. I vote yes.

A part of me does feel like it won't work though.

cRazy2003
19-04-04, 17:14
yeap me likes a lot 5 stars
*looks at clean record* :p

Marx
19-04-04, 17:16
I like the idea. I vote yes.

A part of me does feel like it won't work though.
dido.

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 17:36
I know what you guys are saying...

There's a good chance it won't work, but we've got to try.

If we can highlight the ten most important areas of concern or discontent a month... we might not only get the answers we're searching for, but we might help prioritise things for KK.

Forums are great for discussions among communities... but in this instance we need the functionality of making things flash gold and silver with a big fat read me sign on it to get our points across. If this idea is taken on board then at least the community will have a voice.

The other great aspect of trying this out... is that we can take a 12 page discussion... take out all the flames and spam and the crap that's associated with it... then present it to KK in a simple, acceptable fashion. Then ask for what we want to know.

We might not get answers or the answers we want, but something is better than fuck all.

hinch
19-04-04, 17:40
dido.

[ edited ]

appart from that its a good idea and most games companies do have something similar usually via a fan site Q&A as such or in bungies case they post a weekly report on a random fan website forum.

for the 10 mins it would take a KK person to do similar the benefits would be 100 fold.

whether it works or not is a different issue all together chances are it'll just get ignored and this thread will slowly dissapear as with all the other good ideas

Birkoff
19-04-04, 17:40
I think that if the questions asked arn't answered it would say moreabout the state of the game than if they are :)

5 stars voted yes

Shadow Dancer
19-04-04, 19:06
Btw how do I rate a thread 5 stars?

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 19:28
OK so this poll is open for 10 days...

If I get sufficient votes I will try and acheive the following:

- Contact KK and tell them this is what we want and are they prepared to support it?

- Take nominations for the committee via another poll or PM maybe.

- Try and get a sticky topic for the community to vote for who they would like to be in the committee.

- Hopefull start the first session.

- Produce 10 Questions for KK

Only problem is I don't really know who to contact. Prolly try Nidhogg, Callash or Thanatos... they are the people who i associate with the forums most.

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 19:31
Sorry for double post:

At the top of the first post there's ***** in gold...

Next to that there's a "v" (Down Arrow). Click that and there will be a list of 5 options... select one of those and then rate :)

Saza
19-04-04, 19:46
Mortice...... dude..... I love you man. This is the best, and I mean BEST idea to hit these forums since the remove para sigs.

Speaking of para, thats just gonna turn up every time we compile the 10 points isnt it :p

Edit: And Mortice, double posting is a thing of the past, with the handy edit button above your post.

Shadow Dancer
19-04-04, 20:00
Speaking of para, thats just gonna turn up every time we compile the 10 points isnt it :p

He could limit the # of times something can be brought up.

Strych9
19-04-04, 20:08
I am for it

but

dont you think KK is SCARED TO DEATH to actually give the community an answer? About anything?

Q: Will you ever remove para?
A: No

Okay so when they say no-

Part of the community gets start raving pissed and cancels their account or threatens to.

KK changes their mind, and says "Actually, we will remove it."

Part of the community then gets pissy cause KK lied to them, and leaves on principle.

So before having even done anything, KK has managed to piss off plenty of people simply by answering a question.

Now as a player, I agree that it would be nice to have answers. But so far the community as a whole has not demonstrated it doesnt deal with definite answers very well.

5 stars, but dont count on this ever happening.

]v[ortice
19-04-04, 20:52
I doubt we could ask the question like that in fairness strych.

Probably be more along the lines of:

The community has spoke out at length with regard to parashock and its use in the game. Has KK given it any thought and what is the current stance on para? Is there any plans to change parashock again or even remove it in the future?

That way we haven't asked KK to spit it out... they still have room for "creativity" so to speak... but to have half an official word on the future of parashock in this game would be better than what we have already.

Even if KK went and stuck their neck out and said it's here to stay then later on changed their mind and implemented something different taking para completely out of the equation, I'm sure that if enough of a fuss was kicked up then we would be asking more questions in response to forum pressure.

@Saza...

I know about the Edit button dude... I just posted again in response to Shadow Dancer's post that came while I was typing. As it was a different topic I was responding to, I felt another post might be clearer for people to understand and follow.

J J
20-04-04, 01:46
Yup definately. Why isn't this being done already?? There are so many questions that get raised here time and time again that would require a simple answer but would actually make people feel that their input is valued and that KK actually cares what it's paying customers think.

Jesterthegreat
20-04-04, 12:29

was all about.

anyways, yes it should be there.

/me raises hand

"i been playing since beta 3 and never seen a faction counciler on any server (and i play all but Venus)"

:D

and yes... i vote for it :)

jernau
20-04-04, 12:41
They did do something like this once on a modded IRC channel and it was very successful IMO. They never did it again. I think the main reason was that Danae organised it when she was a volunteer. Shortly after she became a KK employee and she had other responsibilities to worry about so it died. (Kick me if I'm wrong Nae)

Odin or Thanatos also posted a sticky once asking for 5 questions for Martin which was going to be a regular Q&A event. They even asked for us to suggest titles for it. It never even happened once AFAIR.

I think it's a good idea but KK high command seem reluctant to support it in the past even when it's come from their own people.

]v[ortice
20-04-04, 14:50
Sounds right Jernau... I remember the questions for MJ by Thanny at least.

Hopefully we will be able to get this fully up and running. Like I say if I get more votes on this poll then I can't see why KK wouldn't support the Idea.

If the community elects 10 members that are really into this idea and want to make something positive out of this forum... well we shall have to see.

Fingers Crossed.

Danae
20-04-04, 15:15
I think it's a good idea. I've always been a fan of more community action and involvement. As Jernau pointed out I organized a lot of stuff in the past, but I did it without assistance. I drew up the proposal and submitted it to KK and waited for a response. (you must have patience for this part grasshoppa hehe)

If you organize it on your own, get your questions together, and present the questions I'm sure we would do our best to answer them and post a sticky with the responses.

I do suggest submitting more than 10 questions, let KK decide which ones they will answer, and be patient. Though I cannot guarantee how many will be answered, I will do everything I can to facilitate responses if you do all you can to get the questions to me. My email is danae@neocron.com

Oath
20-04-04, 15:23
Definately a good idea. I support you whole heartidly. If you need any help gettin approval from KK, i am very persuasive *flashes boobs*....:lol:

If that's spongebob then your KOS.

Good idea, it'll work well.

hinch
20-04-04, 16:17

[ edited ]

Jesterthegreat
20-04-04, 16:31
[ edited ]
can you say joke :p

ello btw hinch :)

back ontopic... i may wack some questions together...

hinch
20-04-04, 16:49
hello :)

20-04-04, 17:21
This is the best post on here for a long time.

However, Danea pointed out about being the route to KK, which is great. But we dont want loads of people mailing Danea dirrectly, or she will end up with a flooded mailbox and chances are with many of the same question.

The thing needs structure, a chain of command if you like..

Elected Community Representatives -----> Forum Mods -----> Reakktor

Keep it simple so the questions get there, and answers return.

regards.

]v[ortice
20-04-04, 17:32
I meant we compose questions based on what has already discussed... by talking about them and deciding on the 10 most important issues.

Like I said... we could all come up with 10 questions each... the point of this discussion is to form a group, or a focal point if you will, with which to channel information to Reakktor such as burning questions that everyone wants to know the answer to and also ideas and suggestions that has been previously discussed by all.

I really don't want this to be a selfish exercise.

I don't envision the questions to be simple one liners like the afore-mentioned 'parashock' argument. More like 10 subjects that the community has discussed in depth to then be summarised and queried with KK.

Does that make sense? (Rhetorical)

I felt that if we can formalise this route of communication and keep things as sensible and consistent as possible, we may... like the topic says... Bring KK and the Playerbase closer together :)

I really do believe that we can acheive a lot by building a bridge between developer and community.

Thankyou btw to Danae... your support will be most welcome.

Oath
20-04-04, 17:34
This is the best post on here for a long time.

However, Danea pointed out about being the route to KK, which is great. But we dont want loads of people mailing Danea dirrectly, or she will end up with a flooded mailbox and chances are with many of the same question.

The thing needs structure, a chain of command if you like..

Elected Community Representatives -----> Forum Mods -----> Reakktor

Keep it simple so the questions get there, and answers return.

regards.

Is danea a new player?

O_o

Anyway point she was trying to make was: the 'elected 1337 dudez'(whoever) should meet (no mods or kk :p organize yourselves), get their shit together and THEN ship it to kk and ask.

Saza
20-04-04, 17:38
[ edited ]

hinch
20-04-04, 17:47
[ edited ]

LOL im not saying a fucking word :)

sex @ oath

Oath
20-04-04, 17:48
LOL im not saying a fucking word :)

sex @ oath

<3 hinch.

saza is kos i say.

hinch
20-04-04, 17:49
dont kos meh else i'll hack your belt and take your goodies away from j00

Oath
20-04-04, 18:03
dont kos meh else i'll hack your belt and take your goodies away from j00

Omg if you hack my belt my pants will fall down O_o.

Again to stay on topic, great idea......

]v[ortice
20-04-04, 18:43
Way to hijack my topic ^^

I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

plague
21-04-04, 01:43
yeah good idea here some trees 8-D

Superbron
21-04-04, 08:29
Good idea, I think it would contribute to more understanding both ways.

Vithar
21-04-04, 09:47
Stay on topic.

Vithar

]v[ortice
21-04-04, 12:28
Can anyone think of any more uses for the committee. I've thought of a few of my own... anyone else got some ideas how we can be more pro-acttive with our forums?

hinch
21-04-04, 13:19
event organisation? perhaps both an ingame and a forum linked treasure hunt. would be quite easy to do.

as an external voice to publise nc.

helping get some of the funky nc mods into the actual game

jernau
21-04-04, 15:51
I wouldn't try pushing it too far. It will be hard enough accomplishing the original task. Do that and maybe then think about other things.

Shadow Dancer
21-04-04, 15:57
I wouldn't try pushing it too far. It will be hard enough accomplishing the original task. Do that and maybe then think about other things.

My thoughts as well.

]v[ortice
21-04-04, 16:38
I was actually thinking more along the lines of including potential aspects of forming this committee in the submission to KK.

Its all very well me asking for 10 questions to be answered a month. I felt that if we had other things in the pipeline aswell KK would be less likely to dismiss us.

Yes doing other things at the beginning would be too much and pushing it in my opinion too. At the same time I don't want to look like some bell-end who just wants answers and I certainly don't want this implemented for some kind of self-promotion exercise.

My thoughts were more along the lines of...

"OK I've asked the community and we want 'This' with a view to accomplishing X, Y and Z in the future. Are KK willing to support us?"

Obviously with a little more depth than that.

No harm in dicussing what we aim to acheive now. Especially if KK comes back with... "but what about this... and that... and that"... I will at least be able to reference what we've already discussed.

jernau
21-04-04, 17:19
I really think KK are more likely to listen to a simple Q&A than anything more. It's your project but that's my advice.

]v[ortice
21-04-04, 17:45
I know what your saying jernau... and I did agree with you before.

The submission will be based on the "10 questions idea" you have my word.

jernau
21-04-04, 18:26
That's nice but you don't need to promise me anything. I just hope it all comes together and both parties benefit from it.

]v[ortice
23-04-04, 15:10
OK... Last call for thoughts, comments, suggestions and votes on this topic.

MODS: I'm sorry if this is classed as bumping, but I set the poll to last 10 days for a reason.

Cheers :)

Maarten
23-04-04, 22:34
Great idea...

I will gladly join the discussion whenever it starts... :)
I don't care when DoY comes out, I'm playing Neocron now because I enjoy it. If I can do anything to improve it, I'm there...

jernau
23-04-04, 23:22
Likewise - give me a yell if I can do anything to help.

]v[ortice
24-04-04, 00:47
I quite like the idea of making whatever discussions we have public.

If the first few go OK, there's no reason why we couldn't invite people into the IRC room to watch the debate and stuff.

I dunno how we gonna elect committee members yet... more if and when this shit gets off the ground