PDA

View Full Version : What the heck? NC RAM Usage

StryfeX
18-04-04, 09:09
I just got done with a session of NC and so when I quit, Windows pops up this little info window saying that my virtual memory is too low and my page file is being enlarged to compensate. So I look in the task manager and see that before I quit, Neocron was using about 600 MB of RAM. o_O o_O o_O

What the hell? Could someone PLEASE explain why a game that's using this old of an engine NEEDS 600 MBs of my memory? If this was something like FarCry or UT2004, then yeah, I could see that. But it's not, so what gives?

--Stryfe

[P.S.] I have 440 MB of physical RAM and (before the enlarging) a 512 MB page file. [/P.S.]

Archeus
18-04-04, 09:26
The graphics engine uses your memory, not the graphics card. That should be sorted out with BDOY.

]v[ortice
18-04-04, 11:07
I think we'll all find that certain things that are wrong at the moment and have been 'resident' for some time will be fixed with DoY. The new enhanced database and the latest Direct X programming should, as KK say, get rid of some of the issues that have plagued our gaming for some time.

Just be prepared for some new and improved bugs :))) They'll have learnt from previous bugs and will become more devious than ever ^^

Argent
18-04-04, 11:20
I think it's as simple as that Neocron keeps all stuff in memory available for quick access if they're needed again later, but when it needs more memory it drops some of the old stuff out. Thus it uses larger memory to it's advantage when possible but doesn't require a lot of memory. At start Neo uses on my comp about 150MB of raw memery.

At least I hope it works that way. :confused:

PS. I'd recommend to set your pagefile to a certain default size ie. 500MB (depending on your amount of ram) otherwise it'll fragment your HD pretty nicely.

Oath
18-04-04, 12:13
Actually, i've had the whole of windows fuck up after i come out of neocron at the moment i get an uber blue screen telling me my mem is fucked up and that windows has terminated to prevent damage to it O_o

Stoopid Xp.

spongeb0b
18-04-04, 13:18
lol @ oath's fucked up memory... (weird tho) I know what you mean tho, and being poor I can't afford lots of memory so me = fucked in NC. huge lag and lot's of fre's... I hope I last till september

DF - I dont get this. I is clever. :p /me corrects punctuation.

Cubico
18-04-04, 13:39
lol @ oath's fucked up memory...

Hmm, I had a clanmember who used to say "lol" in team speak. Can you image who stupid that sounds?

spongeb0b
18-04-04, 13:42
DF says lol all the time irl (i've grown used to it) is it really that strange?

RayBob
18-04-04, 13:44
When I had 512 MB of memory, my hard drive was very often churning away while playing. I recently doubled my memory and I never hear it now. Neocron does not use (or release) memory efficiently. Like Arch said, it should improve with BDoY.

metalangel
18-04-04, 14:48
Not really, I say 'onoz' and 'ph33r' and 'teh suxx0r' and '0wnage' IRL.

Also, both Lilie and I both suffered 'Windows has STOPPED' BSODs from Neocron in Win2k the other day. Very weird.

I've only got 512Mb, I can't afford any more as I've only got two memory slots and I'd have to buy a 512mb module and be stuck with a useless (to me) 256mb one.

Archeus
18-04-04, 14:55
Also, both Lilie and I both suffered 'Windows has STOPPED' BSODs from Neocron in Win2k the other day. Very weird.

You can disable the bluescreen rebooting within XP. Its a warning.

Lexxuk
18-04-04, 14:59
[P.S.] I have 440 MB of physical RAM and (before the enlarging) a 512 MB page file. [/P.S.]

Virtual Memory should be fixed at RAM*2.5=1100MB Pagefile, gives the best performance, well, as fast as harddrive mem swapping can be :angel:

metalangel
18-04-04, 14:59
Yeah, but this is Win2k, not sure if you can do that, and it was the first time either of us has suffered such an error... I've had this install of Win2k for almost two years and have never ever had to force a reboot like that.

IceStorm
18-04-04, 15:01
Neocron was using about 600 MB of RAM.
That's normal. It's been like this since Beta 4.

What the hell? Could someone PLEASE explain why a game that's using this old of an engine NEEDS 600 MBs of my memory?
NC has memory leaks and all that crap it has to load as you zone probably isn't helping.

NC has been a memory hog since somewhere in Beta 4. If you're just now noticing it, consider yourself lucky. It's no accident that I've had 1GB of RAM in my gaming machine for over a year.

Archeus
18-04-04, 15:06
Yeah, but this is Win2k, not sure if you can do that, and it was the first time either of us has suffered such an error... I've had this install of Win2k for almost two years and have never ever had to force a reboot like that.

Yea you can do it in W2K as well. Barring fatal device errors (which you cant stop) it will stop it rebooting.

Right click my computer, last tab (Advanced). Start up and recovery. You can set the rebooting there.

Argent
18-04-04, 15:14
Virtual Memory should be fixed at RAM*2.5=1100MB Pagefile, gives the best performance, well, as fast as harddrive mem swapping can be :angel:

That used be good solution ages ago when people had like 128MB max memory, nowadays that's just outdated. Personally I have 512MB mem and I use 400MB pagefile, never had any poblems with it and everything runs just fine.

And I wouldn't ever recommend anyone to use more than one gig pagefile, that's just nuts. Unless, of course you're doing some VERY heavy video editing or similar with low RAM, which again, is about as much fun as stabbing your eyes with a fork.

Lexxuk
18-04-04, 15:45
That used be good solution ages ago when people had like 128MB max memory, nowadays that's just outdated. Personally I have 512MB mem and I use 400MB pagefile, never had any poblems with it and everything runs just fine.

And I wouldn't ever recommend anyone to use more than one gig pagefile, that's just nuts. Unless, of course you're doing some VERY heavy video editing or similar with low RAM, which again, is about as much fun as stabbing your eyes with a fork.

It actually works even better these days. If you look at the sort of games your playing these days, say Unreal 2k4, that will suck up your memory, then you got your OS in the background and stuff like that. You got a faster computer, your going to get much faster/bigger games, that require more memory. Heck, some state 512MB as the miminum requirement. I have 70MB free atm, with only IE and Outlook running, yet my pagefile is 213MB, which is almost as much as I have in RAM.

Gohei
18-04-04, 19:29
DF says lol all the time irl (i've grown used to it) is it really that strange?

yea...

Scikar
18-04-04, 19:37
Given the fact that Windows loves to use the page file instead of RAM, even when you have 1GB of RAM only half used, I'd bet performance probably increases through disabling virtual memory. If games like UT were using more than the system RAM available, it would run like shit instead of running as smooth as it does.

Mighty Max
18-04-04, 20:22
Heyo,

That you have larger swapfiles the sysram, even with free sys ram has another reason but the named "Windows like Swap files more" named Speed.

Can you imagine the difference, when you continously delete and create new blocks in an file ? if it is at the end, all's ok, but at the start, youll have to move the files data, insert the new data. At delete, move the data back.

To avoid these speed traps, the Swap-file works in blocks. where each block does not get deleted, and only masked as not used. Only once in a while this file is reorganized.

Swapping is a technique that helped computer systems extremely (to run and to evolve) now it's a base technology and nothing to moan about.

Sure, prediction of the useres activities (and therefor what pages should be swapped) could be better, but hey, that would require a whole ruleset for each user, on a simple and often unrecognized feature.

My 2 and a half cent.

Lexxuk
18-04-04, 20:33
aye, fixed swap file = good. You might not notice, but when you shut down a game, like, NC or UT2K4, you get a bit of hard drive access, that is your swap file resizing itself, its a common thing. You may not notice it ingame, due to complex caching methods, loading stuff into RAM and into Cache, for quick and easy access. If you disable the swap file, all you then have to run stuff on, is your basic RAM. Then when thats gone, you got nothing, so it has to be dumped out of RAM to get more stuff into RAM to keep the stuff working. Add into that possible memory leaks, you run a game for a few hours, and there is a little memory leak, slowly, it sucks up your RAM, taking more and more, till you have nothing left, you get mass system instability, and totally crash.

In a few days, I'll have 700 odd meg'o'ram, i'll resize my swapfile to make light of this, and when I get around to a new hard drive, I'll stick the swapfile onto that to make it even faster.

Swap file = good.

Scikar
18-04-04, 20:38
Well that's the point. I have 1GB of RAM, so it's pretty difficult to fill it. After my mobo and HDDs blew up a few months back, I went through half a LAN with a 13GB ATA 33 HDD. I noticed Windows was using the swap file despite the RAM being nowhere near full, so I disabled it and everything ran fine. Since I got a new disk I've turned it on, but it doesn't matter how efficient a program is, RAM > HD space.

Lexxuk
18-04-04, 20:59
yes, ram will always own hard drive space, something to do with ram accessing in nano seconds, compares to hard drives milliseconds, its all subjective, but virtual memory is always needed.

Scikar
18-04-04, 21:07
Yeah, all we need is a Windows which isn't supid and then there would be no problems. :p

Lexxuk
18-04-04, 21:18
well, you could try Linux, except it recommends you set your swap drive at 2.5*RAM also. At least for RedHat Fedora Core 1.

Scikar
18-04-04, 23:09
And the fact it wouldn't run half the games I play, just for starters.

jiga
18-04-04, 23:15
are there any noticeble changes if u upgrade ur ram from 256mb to 512mb (i just brought 256mb 2700 ddr ram for £20 on ebay)

rob444
18-04-04, 23:35
I dont use disk swap space as I got plenty of RAM available :)

Lexxuk
19-04-04, 01:06
are there any noticeble changes if u upgrade ur ram from 256mb to 512mb (i just brought 256mb 2700 ddr ram for £20 on ebay)

Lots of difference, you'll notice straight away.

alig
19-04-04, 01:25
Ive got 1gb DDR 400 and it uses more for nc than it does when i play farcry...it uses about 500mb for farcry and god knows for nc...also nc uses 100% cpu as well yet when i alt tabbed from farcry before it was using 20%~ of my cpu. Stupid.

Omnituens
19-04-04, 02:02
ive got 512MB RAM DDR PC3200 running in Dual channel mode

NC used about 200MB of it.