PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft communty goes ape**** over new feature.

Lanigav
17-04-04, 10:33
In a nutshell, this newly added system called the "Resting System" makes it so hardcore power players don't rule the game as much as the lowly casual or normal player. After playing a specific time, you begin to earn lower amounts of exp and your effectiveness in combat begins to go down, essentially requiring your character to "rest" and for the player to either quit the game or switch to another character.

Personally I think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread for MMORPGs, so those of us who lead normal lives without playing games 16 hours a day (and the same damn game at that) can still play these types of games and not be horribly underpowered in comparison. It also makes perfect sense for a character that does nothing but fight or craft all day to have to take some time off to recover.

Penny Arcade pretty much sums it up as well.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040416l.jpg

Anyways, I'd like to know other's peoples thoughts on the possible addition of this feature, and whether or not it would be a good idea to add this to other future MMORPGs, and maybe even to Neocron itself.

Kal
17-04-04, 10:55
i liked Powerhour in UO more personally,
rewards casual gamers rather than punishes hardcore gamers.

osi managed to screw that up too though like everything else by introducing the guarenteed gain system, whereat higher levels your guarenteed 0.1 gain per day (whoopie fucking do)

MrChumble
17-04-04, 11:09
It sounds like a really sensible feature to me. Not sure if it could translate to neocron though, when it's possible to cap a char in 3 days (or a week of more casual leveling) there's no real need to burn out on powerleveling.

Psychoninja
17-04-04, 11:14
Generaly when I think of any MMO I don't like to think it's for the casual gamer. Infact, in a way I very much dislike the casual gamer in MMOs, I think of them as dead weight, and I think my personal dislike for the casual gamer is linked a little more with clans.

Anyways, back on topic. The resting system is good in a RP sense I guess, it adds a bit of realism to the game, but I only perfer realism ingames to an extent. It IS a game after all and you're supposed to enjoy it. The rest system is also good mentaly and physicaly to the gamer. I'm sure we've all heard the EQ stories about the hardcore players that won't stop for hours and even days.

The only reason I think I would hate it would be if it was mainly intended to keep casual gamers at par with hardcore gamers, because I think of MMOs as the hardcore gamers game.

Mr_Snow
17-04-04, 11:34
Activity should be promoted in MMORPGs not punished.

Yet inactivity shouldnt punished either.

It makes sense that people putting in more time get more exp and more items, it doesnt make sense to punish people for playing the game they are paying for.

Vid Gamer
17-04-04, 11:39
Bullshit.

I would be mad, too. The hardcore gamers deserve to reach elite status sooner.

Lanigav
17-04-04, 11:39
Its one thing to be an active player. Its another to be one who plays 16 hours a day, every day, and then becomes a god of sorts in-game (whilst the player's brain and body slowly but surely vegetates). If it gets rid of, or even gets rid of some of those players then I'm all for it.

Besides, if the player wants to continue playing then all he/she has to do is switch to another character that's been rested. That way activity is balanced out and things won't be quite so lopsided.

Kal
17-04-04, 11:41
if the resting period is an hour or too just log to your mule and make some cash or level or level another alt or something, or wait for this, do SOMETHING ELSE *gasps*

Aziraphale
17-04-04, 11:41
I kinda like it.
Certainly wouldn't send me into a frenzy like some of the people on their Message Boards.
And if what Tycho said on PA is true, that he played for 4 hours and didnt get a drop in his 'rested' state, then whoever this does effect enough to piss off needs to get out more anyway.

jiga
17-04-04, 11:54
That's gotta be the crappest idea I have ever heard. If your a power gamer and u bother putting in the hours u should be rewarded

Vid Gamer
17-04-04, 11:55
I think powergamers will get around it easily though.

Just make two characters on differ servers or for the hardcore two game accounts on the same server and just level one while the other is resting and vice versa.

jiga
17-04-04, 12:21
I think powergamers will get around it easily though.

Just make two characters on differ servers or for the hardcore two game accounts on the same server and just level one while the other is resting and vice versa.
It's still silly that u can't play on the char u want to

G.0.D.
17-04-04, 12:22
I dont like that idea... It punishes botters 8|

J. Folsom
17-04-04, 12:24
Since most people seem to have ignored Aziraphale's rather intelligent comment here...

It takes more then 4 hours to leave rest state.

Also, you must not forget that this is a new feature, and still subject to tweaks... Most likely tweaks based on the opinion of the majority of the WoW community.

jiga
17-04-04, 12:31
Since most people seem to have ignored Aziraphale's rather intelligent comment here...

It takes more then 4 hours to leave rest state.

Also, you must not forget that this is a new feature, and still subject to tweaks... Most likely tweaks based on the opinion of the majority of the WoW community.
I bet you it won't be put in coz the majority of the WoW community are either power gamers or ppl who are wannabe powergamers

Necrosadistic
17-04-04, 12:33
I think this is a great idea, as rank will begin to mean something - not so much the amount of time someone spends playing the game but how good they are at it.

Powergamers will level quicker than anyone anyway, its just they won't be able to create powerful chars in very little time.

Archeus
17-04-04, 12:38
The secret is to give rest time to the characters that allows the powergamer to move from character to character with no time to log out.

If they give their players forced downtime most players will use that to find another game.

Clownst0pper
17-04-04, 13:25
Just because the noobs are wank at leveling it doesnt mean u should punish the rest.

Idiots

alig
17-04-04, 16:29
LoL ...i thought we pay to play, not pay to play to be kicked. That game wont go very far if they dont take that feature out, and what does it matter that there is someone else on your server who has everything you have + more x 5.

Radamez
17-04-04, 16:56
A way to prolong leveling, stopping people capping within a few weeks to a month..

to make it more fair for the casual gamer?

or to, in effect, squeeze more money out of their customers?

The latter sounds more likely to me, not that I give a toss, I won't be playing it.

Kal
17-04-04, 17:33
the best mmorpgs imo are the Ultima online freeshards, rp and pvp wise, though you need to find a good one.

(as the name suggests they are also completely free)

shodanjr_gr
17-04-04, 17:48
Its quite a brilliant concept if you ask me as long as they dont overdo it. I mean up to five or six hours of continuous gaming would be ok without any penalties, but more than that is jsut sick.

Aziraphale
17-04-04, 17:55
the best mmorpgs imo are the Ultima online freeshards, rp and pvp wise, though you need to find a good one.

(as the name suggests they are also completely free)

Mmm yeah, I used to love playing on a free shard. The community was amazing, and the team behind it were CONSTANTLY working to make everything better, the UO system basically had a complete overhaul by the time I checked up on it the other week.
KK could learn alot from these shard runners, they don't get paid for what they do, and they work so very hard to keep their shards stable and the player base happy.

Shadow Dancer
17-04-04, 18:25
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I like the idea, on the other hand it punishes people who play alot. If they put in the work, why be punished?

t0tt3
17-04-04, 18:25
I think its nice why should you go and slash and dash for hours and nothing happend to you? Try to get out and kill people for hours "ok police will stop you after the 4 - 5 kill :p" but anyway you wont get any far hey after the 15 kill you will lay down and needed rest to tired *yes I am evil in the last evil post :D*

Psychoninja
17-04-04, 19:32
You're pretty much telling a stubborn little kid to take a nap when they're not tired. The only posiitive is, I can really think of is, it forces the gamer into breaks that are sometimes well needed and necessary. Sitting infront of a computer for a few hours sounds harmless but it can take a toll on the body if it's too long.

It irritates me that it benefits the casual gamer because someone who's dedicated shouldn't be punished because soemone doesn't take the game as seriously, or plays as often. If we told sport athletes not to work out so much because other people in the league don't put as much time into it does it really seem fair?

Disturbed021
17-04-04, 19:50
A way to prolong leveling, stopping people capping within a few weeks to a month..

to make it more fair for the casual gamer?

or to, in effect, squeeze more money out of their customers?

The latter sounds more likely to me, not that I give a toss, I won't be playing it.
The second is EXACTLY what I thought. Just another way to prolong ppl from capping too quickly, thus taking longer to get bored; which basically translates to more money for the company over time. :rolleyes: pretty lame if you ask me.....why not just make it harder to cap, either less exp gain or harder mobs? But whatever I don't really care about all that fantasy crap neways :p

Rade
17-04-04, 19:53
UOs powerhour and WoWs resting systems are great... if implemented right.
What these systems have to accomplish is evening the leveling field while still
not punishing anyone, from the looks of it WoW missed the mark by a bit.

J. Folsom
17-04-04, 19:54
why not just make it harder to cap, either less exp gain or harder mobs? But whatever I don't really care about all that fantasy crap neways :pPersonally, I consider this solution better than that.

Why?

Quite simple, this encourages powergamers to actually try out multiple different types of characters instead of just limiting themselves to one character. This gives them wider experience, which means some of them will at least be able to beter judge/help with the full spectrum of the game.

Radamez
17-04-04, 20:03
why not just make it harder to cap, either less exp gain or harder mobs?

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the emphasis away from leveling - if you want people to play your game for a long time, give them a game packed with content and atmosphere. Don't occupy 90% of their gaming experience with statistics and levels.

It's lazy, unimaginative and unfair.. but ofcourse, it's guaranteed income.

Black_Ice
17-04-04, 20:20
After reading what the patch notes were for the Rest State, I kinda like the idea

Rest State

The Rest state modifier only affects experience earned from killing monsters. It does not affect experience earned from quest rewards or other experience rewards in the game (such as future PvP experience rewards).

As players kill monsters and gain experience points, they become increasingly tired. Their rest level reflects this tiredness in five tiers: well rested, rested, normal, fatigued and exhausted.

Well-rested players receive bonus experience points for killing monsters. Rested players receive a smaller bonus. At the normal rest level, players receive no bonus experience points for killing monsters. Fatigued players receive half of the normal experience points from their kills, and when exhausted they will receive a quarter of normal experience from a kill.

To become well rested and start earning bonus experience from killing monsters again, players must either log out or rest online at an Inn (see below) for several hours.

Thanks to the comforts of a warm bed and a hearty meal, players who rest or log out at an Inn can regain energy up to the maximum level: well rested (it takes 8 hours to go from exhausted back to well rested). Players who log out anywhere else in the world will only regain energy up to the normal level.

Note that while your character is resting at an Inn, you can play other characters on your account. The rest state is per character only

It stops the players that need to be stopped. I'm all for gaming, but it's unhealthy to stay up for days on caffeine, sugar, etc. Blizz is just covering their own ass. They're trying to limit sleep loss related cases, i.e. stupid parents that allow their kid to stay up and play the game, then the kid falls asleep in class and fails or people who pass out at a Internet cafe due to prolonged consciousness. Plus it allows the player to take a longer look at the world. WoW is huge. I know a couple people in beta and they say the place is pretty massive. Powerlevelers usually look for the best Xp instead of checking out the cool nuisances and little things of the virtual world.

Scikar
17-04-04, 20:22
If it just meant you had to spend a while in a town or city after going out for a hunt, I think that would be fine. Bear in mind you could hunt for an hour, return to a city and rest for 15 minutes, stock up on equipment and sell loot, and head out again. There's more to RPGs than sitting in a cave all day every day until you're capped you know.

Spoon
17-04-04, 20:22
I doubt this will get rid of Ebay money farmers..... :lol:

Richard Angelus
17-04-04, 20:36
I think it would be better if there is a other way than less XP for kill a mob....

it would make much more sense if you move, run and/or 'hit' (fire...whatever) no more that fast as you do when you are "well rested"

hegemonic
17-04-04, 20:57
As a non-powerplayer, melikes this idea of fatigue...

As a fair-minded person, the fatigue idea suX0rs. Why shouldn't people who want to give up RL to powerlvl be able to spend 60 hours straight on a game they pay for and earn as much XP as everyone else?
Most (NOTE: "most" does not mean "all") casual players in MMORPG's aren't concerned with the world of the game, they're just satisfying a curiosity so they can say, "yeah, I've played [enter MMORPG here], it's not as good as [enter whatever MMORPG that they are CURRENTLY playing here]"
-All this coming from a guy who has a character created in Dec 02, that STILL isn't capped. If you want to CAP a player, you need dedication. If you have dedication (read: obsession :lol: ), it shouldn't be punished.

that's My 10 cents...

Cryton
17-04-04, 21:05
Sounds like a great idea to me.

/Cry

FireST@R
17-04-04, 22:19
It stops the players that need to be stopped. I'm all for gaming, but it's unhealthy to stay up for days on caffeine, sugar, etc. Blizz is just covering their own ass. They're trying to limit sleep loss related cases, i.e. stupid parents that allow their kid to stay up and play the game, then the kid falls asleep in class and fails or people who pass out at a Internet cafe due to prolonged consciousness.

I can’t help feeling that there is a lot of truth in this.. Don’t we need to have a little control of Online gaming??.. Don’t get me wrong here. I love playing online.. Mostly due to the players I meet. But I hear stories about people losing contact with everyone round them.. Cutting them off from the rest of their friends.. And living their lives on the computer. Hate to break it to you guys.. But that world will end sooner then you think.. And after the light fades you will realize that there aren’t much left.

As far as this rest system goes .. I think its a good idea. But do think they need to tone it down a little. Maybe to a rest period of only 1-2 hours. So people have a chance to take a break from the game.

ServeX
18-04-04, 05:41
Bullshit.

I would be mad, too. The hardcore gamers deserve to reach elite status sooner.
Sorry bro but I disagree. Having a system that rewards hardcore gamers puts more strain on casual players to sink time into the game too. By having a system that rewards players who play casually, people can live their lives without having to concentrate and live their lives around the game.

Omnituens
18-04-04, 08:57
Thats an excellent feature. might find the WoW forum just to give it 5 stars :p

Epsilon 5
18-04-04, 11:50
oh boy, what's next? adding toilets and forcing players to drink water, eat food and flush it out 36 hours of digestion later?

MrChumble
18-04-04, 13:37
I wonder if a lot of people object to this because it's an implied criticism of their lifestyle? WoW is basically saying that playing computer games for 24 hours straight isn't good for you and perhaps you should go outside for a while. I'm inclined to agree with them :lol:

It might also be a pre-emptive strike against potential lawsuits, if they're making it clear from the beginning that the game isn't meant to be played as a substitute for a real life. That way anyone who does play it like that is an aberation discouraged by WoW. Much harder to sue when you lose your job, girlfriend, etc :D

Radamez
18-04-04, 14:54
Has anyone actually looked on the WoW forums? 8|

I thought the spam on here was bad...

Ozzon
18-04-04, 15:36
After reading what the patch notes were for the Rest State, I kinda like the idea

It stops the players that need to be stopped. I'm all for gaming, but it's unhealthy to stay up for days on caffeine, sugar, etc. Blizz is just covering their own ass. They're trying to limit sleep loss related cases, i.e. stupid parents that allow their kid to stay up and play the game, then the kid falls asleep in class and fails or people who pass out at a Internet cafe due to prolonged consciousness. Plus it allows the player to take a longer look at the world. WoW is huge. I know a couple people in beta and they say the place is pretty massive. Powerlevelers usually look for the best Xp instead of checking out the cool nuisances and little things of the virtual world.

Haha how naive... you think that this is supposed to stop powergamers? or that Blizzard cares about their health?
When a powergamer hits the resting time he will just switch to another character and level again.
It's just a simple way to make more money for Blizzard, this is the most idiotic idea i ever heard of.

Gohei
18-04-04, 17:18
Hate it.

Jusst another reason to not try that game

msdong
18-04-04, 17:28
Activity should be promoted in MMORPGs not punished.

i see that as a RP enforcer. you are rewarded for RP and not for midless powerleveling :)

t0tt3
18-04-04, 17:48
how many power pro gamers do each mmorpg have? Not so many I mean if blizz could get 0.001 % from their LoD and warcraft 3 player base to the game it would have a bigger crowd then Neocron so I don´t think they really care....

Their game will be a hit no matter what if not just sway back on their fantastic history...

JackScratch
18-04-04, 18:58
If you owned a resturant, would you rather have 5 hells angels come in every day, and no one else, or would you rather have a steady stream of varied customers come in continualy. This is a business ands the hard core gamer hurts it.

Mingerroo
18-04-04, 20:55
It is a good idea for WoW, but not NC. NCs capping of characters mean it is acceptable not to have these timesink features built-in, as we have a limit to our characters anyway.

I liked the cartoon though :)

Steve

XSuneX
21-04-04, 07:51
Ah Yes, by making it more realistically balanced you can prolong the mental activity of the user.

They should do this with as many aspect as possible.

Like making the range of the lowest level to the highest level not so far apart in power. Where as when you level you get only minor increases in abilities.

Cubico
21-04-04, 12:50
Generaly when I think of any MMO I don't like to think it's for the casual gamer. Infact, in a way I very much dislike the casual gamer in MMOs, I think of them as dead weight, and I think my personal dislike for the casual gamer is linked a little more with clans.

I try to answer this in a "sarcastic" way, otherwise I would be banned.

I am a "casual player", and I think the power gamers are parasites. I am playing about 40-60 hours a month, why do I have to pay as much as a power gamer?
We are base who is paying for the content, and they are only like 20% and get all the benefits.
IMO MMOs should not be allowed for players who are still going to school but only for players who have a job.
Best would be to allow people to play only three hours a day. Then there is no need to have many servers, and the provider would lower the price.

Zanathos
22-04-04, 04:26
Great idea to me, it really dosnt effect power gamers because they can go on another player on their account.

but hey, if that power gamer tires out all there characters then maybe, just MAYBE you should get out of that chair near the computer and do something else? watch tv, talk to a friend, if you have any, go outside of your homes door, take a breath of freash air, get something to eat, go out for a bit, etc...

theres more to life than games.

Im all for the system (considering that i am a wannabe roleplayer ;))

Estabin
22-04-04, 05:29
This won't have any repurcussions on my play style that I can see... I usually don't play over 3 hours per day anyway and a lil longer on the weekends...