PDA

View Full Version : To Balance a Hybrid

Carinth
15-04-04, 21:53
As Shadowdancer said in a previous thread and as I said in my general class balancing thread, I believe the best way to balance Hybrids is to stop using the same spells as Pures. They should have their own line of combo spells. For this thread though, I wanted to focus on hybrids as they are, using ppu and apu spells. Since it's more likely kk will try to balancing existing setups, then introduce an entirely new spell line.

Whenever ideas about hybrid balancing are discussed, a phrase is commonly used that really really really annoys me. "We can't give them good defense and offense or they'll be overpowered." Why?! Why do hybrids have to have a critical defect, why do they have to have a handicap, why? Why can't hybrids have the same abilities other classes have? We talk of making sure a hybrid can't take on multiple people, but other classes can. Would you play a class that chokes if more then 1 person attacks you? Tanks have health/armor/resistance to hopefuly run away. Spies and PE's have stealth to run away. Monks soly have shock, which is used against us, and our defensive psi, which is what everyone keeps reducing. Honestly Hybrids are the base Monk and should be compared to Tanks/Pe's/Spies. Pure's are an abberation that you get by super specializing. There is no equivalant in any other class, so we can't compare them in the same scale. For now let's forget they exist.

Our first problem is in the relationship between psi offense/defense and non psi offense/defense. When you compare them, it's obvious psi wins hands down. That's why everyone uses as much as they can, even Tanks run around with 5slot Crahn Heals. Even your basic store bought Heal is infinitely better then a medkit. Deflector, or even Shelter are so much better then comparative armor it's crazy. Offensively psi wins aswell, it's capable of at least the same damage if not more. It's also capable of easier targeting and less missing.

First, if we keep Psi mostly the same, then we must weaken monk's non psi defense and strengthen everyone else's. It's generaly agreed on that Monks get some of the best armor and ontop of that get the best psi defenses. It's been a long time since anyone seriously thought of piercing as a weakness. Only hybrids using Exp Gimptroller have some weaknesss to it, but even they can make up for it. So reduce our armor, maybe reduce our con. Now at this point Monks are at a serious disadvantage, so our psi needs to be strengthened. We should be capable of putting up a shelter that lasts longer then 60seconds, I mean noone else has to put make sure their armor stays on. Defensively, what I'm aiming for is that what other classes are capable of without psi, is what we should be capable of with psi. Increase our dependance on Psi, and decrease everyone else's. Medkits should be comparible to Crahn Heal, they are one in the same but for different classes. Shelter/Deflector are comparible to armor, Booster spells are comparible to drugs, our offensive spells are comparible to guns. Make us on the same level.

If you can manage that, hybrids should be balanced with the other classes. They should be capable of doing the same damage a Tank does, and of withstanding similar damage. But they do it with psi spells.

The really tricky part is when you bring in the pure monks. I believe there should be a clear divide between hybrids and pure's. It should be decided that a certain level of ppu or apu should not be obtainable by hybrids. The hybrid spells are balanced in comparison to the other classes. Above those are the pure spells, which are also balanced with the other classes, but also consider that these characters gave up offense or defense. Most spells should be only accessible by Pure's. Like hybrids shouldn't have anti paralyze, nor should they have anti shelter. I would say hybrids should have roughly Blessed level access to their needed spells, because that's about on par with what everyone else can do without psi. Except for healing of course, they shouldn't have blessed heal. In short a mid level pure monk is on equal footing with capped non puremonks who don't specialize in attack/defense. This works for ppu's, since a capped ppu should be difficult to kill. It's harder to work out apu's though, hmm. Following the same scheme, a capped apu would be capable of doing incredible damage, prolly twice as much as everyone else. That's a problem : )

The APU is really difficult because they're a support class that doesn't want to be dependant on ppu's, but if they are matched up with a ppu they can't become too powerful. You can go two ways that I can see. Really alter the apu class so that somehow they can group with anyone and still infer some benefit as a support. Like an APU/Tank team should be possible without the APU dying in the first shot. Maybe a spell that ties the APU's health to the target's health? It would somehow hafta be restricted to team only. You cast it on a Tank and now have some of the Tank's defenses. In exchange your incredible firepower will let the Tank kill much quicker. Along the same lines, APU's would gain lots of offensive support spells, ways to weaken enemies. That's just an idea, it'd need a lot of work obviously. The other solution is much simpler, just force apu's to depend on a ppu. It's not that much fun, but you can always be a hybrid if you don't like being a dependant apu.

Now both situations have the problem of how to balance two characters that act as one with everyone else. I don't know honestly, their specialization works because they don't have the benefit of the other. When you put them together they're way too powerful. Maybe you could have ppu impairment? Actualy that's not a bad idea. The presence of ppu spells on you such as holy shelter, will lower your damage capability. This works with ppu/other teams too I think. A Tank that accepts a ppu's help can't do as much damage, but they gain much better defenses. An APU that wants to keep his damage capability can tell off the PPU and go solo. Of course there's the question of this becoming an offensive weapon, purposefuly sheltering your enemies to weaken their attacks on you. I dunno.

Lexxuk
15-04-04, 21:54
Sorry Carinth, your a brilliant chap, and I respect you deeply, but if I see one more hybrid thread this month, I'm going to puke, and I'm pretty sure my lung cant take it :(

Scikar
15-04-04, 21:59
Sorry Carinth, your a brilliant chap, and I respect you deeply, but if I see one more hybrid thread this month, I'm going to puke, and I'm pretty sure my lung cant take it :(
Maybe you should take a break from the boards then? I mean, I'd feel so sorry for all those hybrids, just think, they might get a boost if we post enough support for it but if that's going to bust your lung then I'd feel so guilty man.

@Car: I agree, but I don't know if KK could handle such a major change. It's the ideal solution, and it gets rid of all the balance problems in one go, but the devs get flamed/spammed too much to discuss this kind of thing with the community. It doesn't look like they're considering anything major, their main plan seems to be just Lupus' TL change plans.

Lexxuk
15-04-04, 22:05
This is just the third post on hybrids today. Not to detract from Carinth's posts, which are always very well detailed and laid out, there is such a thing as player apathy.

Shadow Dancer
15-04-04, 22:09
First, if we keep Psi mostly the same, then we must weaken monk's non psi defense and strengthen everyone else's. It's generaly agreed on that Monks get some of the best armor and ontop of that get the best psi defenses. It's been a long time since anyone seriously thought of piercing as a weakness. Only hybrids using Exp Gimptroller have some weaknesss to it, but even they can make up for it. So reduce our armor, maybe reduce our con. .

I couldn't disagree more. PSI armor is great, so what? Monk defense is crap. Case closed. It's the ppu buffs that are kickass. Look at the armor, but then look at how fast apus already die. And their already weak to piercing. Their defense is bad enough.

The APU is really difficult because they're a support class that doesn't want to be dependant on ppu's, but if they are matched up with a ppu they can't become too powerful. You can go two ways that I can see. Really alter the apu class so that somehow they can group with anyone and still infer some benefit as a support. Like an APU/Tank team should be possible without the APU dying in the first shot. Maybe a spell that ties the APU's health to the target's health? It would somehow hafta be restricted to team only. You cast it on a Tank and now have some of the Tank's defenses. In exchange your incredible firepower will let the Tank kill much quicker. Along the same lines, APU's would gain lots of offensive support spells, ways to weaken enemies. That's just an idea, it'd need a lot of work obviously. The other solution is much simpler, just force apu's to depend on a ppu. It's not that much fun, but you can always be a hybrid if you don't like being a dependant apu.

Forcing htem to be ppu dependent is totally unfair. Because the ppu isn't apu dependent. He's just dependent on anyone who has offensive capability. THat's 3 other classes. But only 1 subclass of a class(monk) would have the ability to support an apu. So how is that fair? Not to mention if they were ppu dependent, they wouldn't even be able to travel alone.

I like the idea of somehow having other classes be able to support the apu in some way. Then it would be ok if he was "pure support". But I just think that'll be really hard to work with.

I like the idea of lowering the apu's offense, and increasing his defense a bit. And giving him access to unique offensive support spells like stat/resist reducing spells. Or confusion/darkness/disorientation type spells.

That would be more inline with a support ROLE!

Now both situations have the problem of how to balance two characters that act as one with everyone else. I don't know honestly, their specialization works because they don't have the benefit of the other. When you put them together they're way too powerful. Maybe you could have ppu impairment? Actualy that's not a bad idea. The presence of ppu spells on you such as holy shelter, will lower your damage capability. This works with ppu/other teams too I think. A Tank that accepts a ppu's help can't do as much damage, but they gain much better defenses. An APU that wants to keep his damage capability can tell off the PPU and go solo. Of course there's the question of this becoming an offensive weapon, purposefuly sheltering your enemies to weaken their attacks on you. I dunno.

This idea is interesting. It COULD work. Polarity actually had the same idea.

That way it could be a tactical choice to not recieve shields.

Who knows, maybe ppus won't be super important? :eek:

:p

@Car: I agree, but I don't know if KK could handle such a major change. It's the ideal solution, and it gets rid of all the balance problems in one go, but the devs get flamed/spammed too much to discuss this kind of thing with the community. It doesn't look like they're considering anything major, their main plan seems to be just Lupus' TL change plans.

I wish KK would use more of the test server's potential. It doesn't just have to be a place to test stuff that will most likely go to retail. They could test different ideas and possibilities. Like what self/cast shields are like. Or Carinth's ideas in this post.

etc...

Scikar
15-04-04, 22:10
This is just the third post on hybrids today. Not to detract from Carinth's posts, which are always very well detailed and laid out, there is such a thing as player apathy.
There's also such a thing as commitment, in this case, commitment to finding a balanced solution to NC's classes. You say not to detract from Carinth's posts, yet you are not contributing at all to this thread, and in fact dragging it OT. Was there even any need to make your statement in the first place? Ezza's thread was closed, my thread is open but Car's idea is completely different and deserves a thread of its own. Don't hybrids deserve to have viable chars?

Carinth
15-04-04, 22:16
More threads/posts means KK has a better chance of listening ; )

Regardless, the 3 threads you're talkin about are actualy different topics. The main idea is to balance hybrids, but we all have different ideas of what that means and of how to go about it. Different threads allow us to expand on each idea. I understand apathy, but for me that only happens when a series of unconstructive threads appear. like we don't need yet another person making a thread of how much they hate parashock and want to get rid of it. We don't need to hear more about how ppu's ruin the game. What I would like to hear are ideas, constructive posts about what would improve the game.

Scikar: It's funny you mention that because my ideal arrangement has hybrids with their own unique line of combo spells. That would make balance a breeze, but it would require lots of work on kk's part to create a new line of spells. So this discussion was supposed to be a more reasonable approach using the spells we have.

Lexxuk
15-04-04, 22:16
/edited by me :p

I'll shut up now Carinth hunny, just for you <3

Shadow Dancer
15-04-04, 22:18
Scikar: It's funny you mention that because my ideal arrangement has hybrids with their own unique line of combo spells. That would make balance a breeze, but it would require lots of work on kk's part to create a new line of spells. So this discussion was supposed to be a more reasonable approach using the spells we have.

Why do you think it would require lots of work on KK's part?

Is it really hard to add new spells using the old gfx? Ok maybe it's not that easy. But I don't think it would be too hard either. I wish a dev would comment on it.

Dribble Joy
15-04-04, 22:19
Most spells should be only accessible by Pure's.................

..........I would say hybrids should have roughly Blessed level access to their needed spells, because that's about on par with what everyone else can do without psi. Except for healing of course, they shouldn't have blessed heal.

This I like and is as it should be tbh, hybrids should have access to mid level/lvl2 spells/buffs (exept heal), form both sides.

Carinth
15-04-04, 22:53
re: Monk armor
gah pure monks are such a pain ; D I can see two ways to deal with this. Firstly psi defenses and normal defenses (armor/con), should be exclusive. A Monk should be able to rely on psi to defend his body. This obviously leaves out the apu monks, and has the potential to make foreign ppu buffs insane.

What if instead we have armor actualy impair psi abilities? In the same way that ppu buffs could impair damage capability. If you chose to put on monk armor, you sacrifice psi abilities for extra natural defenses. I'm worried about a ppu, if the sacrifice is enough to give a ppu good normal defenses. I would imagine even a gimped ppu with better natural resists could be overpowered.

It'd make lots of sense from a rp standpoint. In rpg's spell casters often have to accept a greater failure rate the better the armor they use. The best spell casters run around in nothing more then a robe, certainly not serious armor like we Monks have. Yet at the same time, some may choose to use armor, to rely less on psi and more on natural ability.

Carinth
15-04-04, 22:55
Why do you think it would require lots of work on KK's part?

Is it really hard to add new spells using the old gfx? Ok maybe it's not that easy. But I don't think it would be too hard either. I wish a dev would comment on it.

It would require lots of brainstorming, new graphic effects (maybe?), new icons, new names. Then you hafta balance the group of hybrid spells accross low to high level hybrids. Then you hafta balance it vs the other classes. It's much easier to just work on balance existing spells.

Shadow Dancer
15-04-04, 22:57
It would require lots of brainstorming, new graphic effects (maybe?), new icons, new names.

IMO brainstorming and new names isn't a big deal. I don't see why it has to have new graphic effects. Maybe not all of them. Maybe just some. Or alter some of the existing effects. And Maarten can help with the icons. :D

Then you hafta balance the group of hybrid spells accross low to high level hybrids. Then you hafta balance it vs the other classes.

Yea you're right.

It's much easier to just work on balance existing spells.

See this is where I disagree. So far hybrids haven't been properly balanced IMO in NC history. And I don't see that changing anytime soon, as long as they leech off ppu and apu spells.

I think it would be more work to balance pures to hybrids, hybrids to pure and hybrids to other classes because they all share the same orgy of spells. :eek:

Mr Friendly
15-04-04, 23:05
hybrids were created to be strong enough to lvl in hard areas by themselves & at the same time, not be so gimped but to be able to do good dmg.

I see absolutely no problem with hybrids currently as they're great in PvP but cant take on many ppl at all. so in the end "dont try to fix somthing that isn't broken"

Carinth
15-04-04, 23:14
I really think KK works in the reverse, Shad. Modifying existing material is easier for them then coming up with something new. They prefer quick fixes/small modifications to fix a problem instead of a larger fix with more original work. Hybrids have stumped them because so far they havn't found a quick fix that'll do the job.

hybrids were created to be strong enough to lvl in hard areas by themselves & at the same time, not be so gimped but to be able to do good dmg.

I see absolutely no problem with hybrids currently as they're great in PvP but cant take on many ppl at all. so in the end "dont try to fix somthing that isn't broken"
Huh? We must not be playing the same game. In the Neocron I play, hybrids were the original monks. They were not created for a specific purpose, they are just another class you could play as. Pure Monks were created with the specific purpose of furthering teamplay.

Where are these great pvp hybrids? Where are these high damage hybrids made for pvm? I think you're mistaken, hybrids can have an excellent defense but not anything like a reasonable offense. You hafta fully damage boost a target, and shock them, to then maybe have a chance. Even then we do pitiful damage compared to other classes.

Dubhead
15-04-04, 23:16
Forget apu/ppu/hybrid and just have Psi Monks like it was back in the day(yes that means drop the penalties for having both apu and ppu skills).

Keep the apu/ppu subskills though, and all the current spells(no way do we want epu again :o ).

Link MST to spell duration/handling so it isn't just a *sink*.

I like Carinth's idea about the armour introducing quite severe PSI penalties(apart from the cloak tho), something to look into yes KK?

Aim the balancing towards a person with equalish defence/offence, not wearing armour and then see if there are any ridiculous imbalances after said changes.

Pah, just thinking about this is quite exciting but it's incredibly unlikely that it will ever make it into the game...sigh

Rai Wong
15-04-04, 23:48
yes but for god sakes monk defence is not crap, and monk can run fast too...they have insane energy resists, and good resists compared to spies, PEs would have less energy resists without shelter to APUs. Yes S/D makes up a large portion or armour, which is why tanks resists are so insiginificant when S/D is around, but monks have great armour as well and they can use heavy belts just like spies. APUs are weak against force weapons...but who the hell uses those underpowered wepaons nowadays? and what stupid APU would hang out alone..Also APUs and PPUs can run very fast their spells do not have a speed nerf like Tanks and Riflers.