PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Alienware + DOA = Sucks?

TraumaTeam
15-04-04, 20:11
A friend of mine was looking for a really good gaming machine and I referred him to Alienware.

However, the machine he got was DOA and Alienware claims it's his fault because he supposedly plugged the mouse into the keyboard port. (My friend is an MCSE - I completely doubt this was the case).

Has anyone else had any problems like this with Alienware? They have had such a great rep and I just can't believe how badly they are treating my friend. Also, any advice I can pass on how to get his money back? (I feel partly responsible since I recommended them so highly...)

- Nekura

retr0n
15-04-04, 20:17
DOA? O_o

TraumaTeam
15-04-04, 20:18
Yep. Completely dead when he received it and would not even power on. I can understand a bad machine (it happens), but to blame it on him is just incredibly rude...

kurai
15-04-04, 20:21
It's a classic bullshit 1st line helldesk/customer service response to try and just get rid of the call out of the stack.

Just tell him to keep telling them that's nonsense, and replace the damn thing already.

RuButt
15-04-04, 20:25
It's a classic bullshit 1st line helldesk/customer service response to try and just get rid of the call out of the stack.

Just tell him to keep telling them that's nonsense, and replace the damn thing already.

yep, whine is ur answer! or try to get to some like, higher rank ppl on the line ;)

Pwnage
15-04-04, 20:31
Your friend has his MCSE and can't build his own PC? Has to order shitty Alienware?

mock

blaczero
15-04-04, 20:35
its not a matter of capability, its a matter of motivation/desire/ease of use.

hardware changes so frequently that unless you have the time / desire to research all the latest and greatest then you just order where you feel like.

by the way, if you dont know that having an MCSE doesnt mean you know jack about hardware:

*mock* *mock*

Lexxuk
15-04-04, 21:02
MCSE - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - Bet he cant change a plug :p

Just go for the "fit for specific purposes" line, tell them it was DOA, and that you've been building PC's for the past god knows how long, so you know the pink plug goes in the pink socket god damnit!

And if that dont work, cry :p

Personally, I'd just build a new system, go to a specilist forum, get the info you want on everything, and go from there, ailenware, pfft.

msdong
15-04-04, 21:09
... is an MCSE - I completely doubt this was the case..

MicrosoftCertifiedMineSweepEr ??

i know 2 of them who are unable to build a PC and nuke IDE/Floppys becaus of wrong kabel connection.

but anyway. didnt they have to prove that he do ?
dont that PC have USB mouse and Keys ?
and isnt the mouse and the keybord port the same (physicly and elektric wise?)

Edit:
oh - wrong. the color code on the back of a pc is a MS idea.. so i think a MCSE have to know :D

Lexxuk
15-04-04, 21:11
no, but PS2 keyboard and mice are colour co-ordinated, ones pink, ones, not pink, its another colour, which screws u up if ur colour blind really :angel:

XSuneX
15-04-04, 21:13
I never ruined a computer in any way by putting the keyboard in the mouse hole or visa versa. And I did it many times on purpose. :D

And if Alianware or any computer would get its power supply zapped because of that, then it is a shitty computer to begin with.

Thats like saying our computer can't handle jack and we made you pay premium for it AND HAHA it is your EFING problem.... :wtf:

msdong
15-04-04, 21:19
just checked it in my hardware shool book. they are both the same.

1 Data
2 n/c
3 Ground
4 +5V
5 clock signal
6 n/c

XSuneX
15-04-04, 21:23
just checked it in my hardware shool book. they are both the same.

1 Data
2 n/c
3 Ground
4 +5V
5 clock signal
6 n/cSEE, there ya go. :)

Their is nothing worse then talking to phone supports, and little esle more funny.

BOTH halp desk people AND espicialy the callers are some of the biggest dum asses on the planet, or at least act like it.

Help Desk Call
Posted By Funny.co.uk (08 February, 2003)
Rate this joke (http://www.funny.co.uk/jokes/art_10-57-Help-Desk-Call.html#rate)Send this joke to a friend (http://www.funny.co.uk/jokes/art_10-57-Help-Desk-Call.html#tellafriend) http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=3434&m=6&tp=8&d=s&c=1 (http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?sid=3434&m=6&c=1)This is a true story from the WordPerfect helpline. Needless to say the help desk employee was fired; however, he/she is currently suing the WordPerfect organization for "Termination without Cause". Actual dialog of a former WordPerfect customer employee:

Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?

"Yes, well, I am having a trouble with WrodPerfect."

What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of the sudden the words went away."

Went away?

"They disappeared"

Hmmm. So what does your screen look like now?

"Nothing."

Nothing?

"It's blank; it won't except anything when I type."

Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?

"How do I tell?"

Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?

"What's a sea-prompt?"

Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't except anything I type.

Does your monitor have a power indicator?

"What's a monitor?"

It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?

"I don't know"

Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?

"Yes, I think so"

Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.

".......Yes, it is"

When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?

"No."

Well there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.

".........Okay, here it is."

Follow it for me, and tell me if it;s plugged securely into the back of your computer.

"I can't reach."

Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?

"NO."

Even if you maybe put your knee on something to lean way over?

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."

Dark?

"Yes-the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

Well, turn on the office light then.

"I can't."

NO? Why not?

"Because there's a power outage"

A power ... A power outage? Aha, ok, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

Good, Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.

"Really? Is it that bad?"

Yes, I am afraid it is

"Well, alright then, I suppose. What do I tell them?

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer

Scikar
15-04-04, 22:04
Did the mouse come with it? I would have thought Alienware would use USB mice.

Kugero
15-04-04, 22:16
yea the "mouse in the wrong hole" might work at the hospital but for your PC it only means a reboot when you find out the reason why both the keyboard and mouse don't work *smacks forehead*.

Just tell him to keep telling them that's nonsense, and replace the damn thing already

bingo. I run into that shit all the time when troubleshooting DSL issues with a certain large USA based motherearth'ish sounding ISP. The trick to getting past lvl1 support is knowing all the right answers as the operator runs down his/her script ...

Keiron
15-04-04, 22:29
Alienware signed a contract with Bestbuy a summer or two ago. Since then they went from high-end computers to dell-knockoffs.

El_MUERkO
15-04-04, 23:00
Ring and refuse to get off the phone, keep your tone of voice totally neutral, if a person cant help you ask them their name so you can make a note of it then get them to put you onto a supervior, keep working your way up the chain of command till yuo get what you want, take no shit.

Divide
15-04-04, 23:16
A friend of mine was looking for a really good gaming machine and I referred him to Alienware.

However, the machine he got was DOA and Alienware claims it's his fault because he supposedly plugged the mouse into the keyboard port. (My friend is an MCSE - I completely doubt this was the case).

Has anyone else had any problems like this with Alienware? They have had such a great rep and I just can't believe how badly they are treating my friend. Also, any advice I can pass on how to get his money back? (I feel partly responsible since I recommended them so highly...)

- Nekura

I had a friend who ordered one that wasnt stable enough to have run through the tests it was supposedly put through. The memory in it was bad, thankfully my friend ordered it through Best Buy, so they helped out a lot in getting the refund, when it eventually came to that.
All of the benchmarking software was installed on the system, I popped the case, everything was properly seated. Cut the bastich on, and tried to run the q3 demo......loading....loading...CRASH. shut the machine down, make sure the gfx is truly seated-- it is. boot the machine, make sure the fan on the vid is working-- it was. Blue screen right into windows.
These guys do a lot less actual work on their systems than it seems. Damn nice looking cases though :0

Vampire222
15-04-04, 23:17
its total BS... mousew and keyboard ps2 ports are EXACTLY the same, sad people if they try to scrape it off their backs with such a idiotic reply

Still, best pc's in the world, are the ones you build yourself, the statisfaction gives them extra horsepower

TraumaTeam
15-04-04, 23:23
I never ruined a computer in any way by putting the keyboard in the mouse hole or visa versa. And I did it many times on purpose. :D

You now, I had the same thought. I've done that accidentally a few times and have NEVER trashed a whole system that way.

And to those that asked if they need proof, Alienware's stance thus far is that he screwed it up and he's SOL. (He has only spoken to them on the phone to try and get a replacement. They have not looked at the unit at all...)

Morganth
15-04-04, 23:25
its total BS... mousew and keyboard ps2 ports are EXACTLY the same, sad people if they try to scrape it off their backs with such a idiotic reply

Yup, the worst you get from mixing the two cables up is that beeping noise you get if you lean on the keyboard for 5 mins, means their is too much input for it to handle.

alig
15-04-04, 23:33
Why didnt he just make one himself? Motivation lol? Ive only built one pc upto now (my own) and i could build a second in about 1hr...then spend 25mins installing windows then your at the point where you are with new computers except you dont have some tit pc kid installing all kinds of shit onto your pc.

My pc got pulled out of my room when we was decorating and my mum pulled it side ways through the door frame and must of caught the wires on the door frame lol..my mouse doesnt work if i use the PS/2 connector thing now, just glad i got a intellimouse with USB and PS/2 and if i move the keyboard connector it un-plugs and i need to reboot and everything and that didnt break my pc...hell i even dinted the side of my case (i mean really dented lol) out of frustration when i couldnt get my pc to network to my bro's (it was like 5hrs into trying) and it didnt break..though my gfx card and soundcard both was hanging out and my pc was turned on at the time...hurt my foot. Anyway, if they cant break a PC then im pretty sure plugging the keyboard into the mouse port wont :lol: Just annoy them...make alienware hate him for phoning so many times in a day, they'll soon replace it.

TraumaTeam
15-04-04, 23:35
by the way, if you dont know that having an MCSE doesnt mean you know jack about hardware

Okay, bad example. :)

Actually, I've known plenty of "paper MCSEs" but this guy actually went through the sweat to learn the stuff backwards and forwards. He does know hardware, too - he used to work where I work now and started out as a hardware tech. (He has since moved on to the high-paying world of network security).

Organics
15-04-04, 23:46
Heh that's such a bullshit reply, typical first base Customer Service babble. I used to work in Customer Service, and the kind of shit we had to tell people was so stupid. I gave it up pretty quickly, went elsewhere with better pay and options :D

Whoever told him that should be fired, immediately. Or at the very least, written warning or similar. To say that it's HIS fault because of the mouse/keyboard thing is so stupid words fail me. How can they possibly know that without looking at it? Answer: They can't, therefore they try the standard foboff so they can avoid having to bring the PC in for checks etc.

Fuck that, keep phoning them, and keep on asking for the next guy up, making sure you get names from EVERYONE you speak to. First names and last names, insist on it but don't get angry, if you start swearing and shouting you won't get anywhere. Extreme cases the CS guy will just hang up, I've done it before and called it a connection problem.

Don't ever take the first answer like that, at that first level of CS they don't really know what they are doing if a question etc comes up that they haven't been trained or whatever for, and in some places if they deviate from the script or whatever, they can be disciplined for it.

Also keep a record of phone calls, length of time, time called etc. Keep it all the information together incase you have to contact Trading Standards (or whatever organization like that where you live if not in the UK), cos you might get refunded phone charges for having to fuck around with them for so long.

Don't take No for an answer, and go all the way to the top. Hopefully you won't have to, and it'll be resolved, but if it's not, then make sure you do the stuff I mentioned above, as it'll really help you in the long run.

:)

MkVenner
16-04-04, 00:57
never had any problems with my alienware laptop, tho its a bitch to reformat, i still aint figured it out, just installed windows twice

jiga
16-04-04, 01:17
Damn those PCs look sexy. I think they might be a bit expensive for what u get although im no expert so don't kill me if im wrong

Spoon
16-04-04, 01:48
I'd blame the FedX guy.......

I just got a new PC about 3 weeks ago..
Turned it on and it wasn't recognizing the HD, and none of the front panel lights or temp. gauge were working, opened it up and started checking connections, sure enough, loose wires..... :rolleyes:
I imagine it got thrown around a little bit too much during shipment...

Then last week the PS went out, so I replaced that....:rolleyes:

I'll probably be replacing the case soon, the front panel wiring seems to be FUBAR....
Hopefully the local PC shop will get a decent case in this week, so I can replace the case and send it and the junk PS back before the 30 warrenty runs out....grrrrr

phunqe
16-04-04, 10:23
DOA? O_o

Dead On Arrival :)

naimex
16-04-04, 10:33
if it cant handle getting a mouse plugged into the keyboard port or vice versa, itīs simply badly made.

Iīve never had/repaired or seen a computer that didnt just say "no mouse" or "no keyboard" connected, if you had it plugged into the wrong port or if there is none present.

The only thing really different from those 2 ports, are the input/output interpretation.

So the dude that said it was because of that, has surely spent less time with actually getting to know a computer, and more time just using it with someone else turning it on :rolleyes: .

And if you pardon me saying, you gotta be pretty stupid to plug it wrongly in.

itīs ALWAYS the one closest to middle = mouse, closest to side= keyboard.

purple = keyboard, green = mouse...

but then again, I would never buy an already assembled computer.

I want to know what comes into my computer, who made it, and what can and canīt it do...

SynC_187
16-04-04, 12:07

- Nekura

If he bought it in the UK then its simple.

Call them up.

Say you are rejecting the PC under the sale of goods act, as it is not fit for its intended purpose. They are responsible for collection if it was delivered (which alienware is).

Your right to reject goes if you continue to try and use it for too long with knowledge of the fault so do it quickly.

If you have had the machine for over a few months they can reduce its value slightly, and also not refund delivery costs, but in this case it didn't work from the word go so you should make sure you get every penny back.

If it was bought on a credit card, infrom the credit card company. They are responsible.

As the money you bought it with wasn't your money, they purchased it and when you pay your bill you then purchase it from them.

I had a similar thing a while ago with a MOBO with a faulty CPU temp probe.

CC company paid up everything, including petrol money, phone charges, replacement hard drive (crash killed my 4GB HD and they paid for a 30GB, then got 4GB repaired on warranty hehe) and full refund. Then they took the company to court.

Handy having a lawyer for a dad :)

Edit: oh and one of my m8's got an Alienware and the mouse was USB. How can you get that wrong :D

Took me so long to write this between pretending to work that its probably been covered already...