PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Character Proffessions

Sleawer
14-04-04, 19:25
When we start a character in Neocron, one the our first steps is to choose a class and its profesion. Alas these steps, even being enought for a good gameplay experience, have their potential limited or not exploited.

Recently there have been many discussions in forums regarding this subject indirectly; players feel that their chars could use special traits to differenciate each others, specific perks based in the class. However often this have led to a fear of overpoweredness and unbalances.

The idea that I'm going to suggest here is related to these special skills, but instead applied to the classes themselves, it is done to the professions. Obviously this would force us to make more important decisions at character creation, but would award our chars with certain skills based on their chosen career.

Each class then would have a set of professions with advantages and disadvantages, as everything in Neocron, based in certain perks with which we are awarded at character creation.

I made some examples with the existing professions, feel free to make a list yourselves if you like the idea.
These are the professions:

PRIVATE EYE

Investigator
- Bonus:
- Negative:

Mechanic
- Bonus: ???
- Negative: ???

Merchant

Special Agent
- Bonus: +20% weapon damage

Assasin
- Bonus: +5 intelligence
- Negative: -5 PSI

Test Driver
- Bonus: +20% vehicle speed
- Negative: -20% runspeed

Privateer: -

SPY

Scientist
- Bonus: +30% research/recycle

Engineer
- Bonus: +30% construction/repair

Street Dog
- Bonus: +20% pistol/rifle combat

Stock-X Broker
- Bonus: +30% barter

Hacker
- Bonus: +30% hack

Smuggler
- Bonus: +30% barter

GENTANK

Soldier
- Bonus: +30% MC/HC

Bodyguard
- Bonus: +30% Body health

Mercenary

Special Forces Member
- Bonus: +10 INT
- Negative: -10 PSI

Scout
- Bonus: +20% runspeed
- Negative: -10% body health - cannot use Melee Combat

Battlefield Engineer
- Bonus: +20% repair

PSI MONK

Nomad Preacher:
- Bonus: 0% APU/PPU minus
- Negative: Can use up to TL 90 modules and cannot use Holy Spirit Armors

Field Medic:
- Bonus: +30% PPU
- Negative: Can't use damage boost or parashocks

Inquisitor:
- Bonus: +30% APU
- Negative: Can't use Holy Spirit Armors

Infiltrator:
- Bonus: +30% PPW

Ambassador:

As the Privateer is common to all classes, I decided to leave it as the average profession with no strenghts or weaknesses. Also I haven't filled all the slots with bonus/negatives deliberately; since this is very subjective and our ideas can be different, I did not want to ruin the real idea with too many details... so I leave it up to your imagination if you want to contribute.

I don't expect this or anything similar in-game, since KK has their own view of the game, but I still want to know if the idea could be good, and how would you balance your classes and professions.

You don't have to agree with the perks that I listed, just the overall idea.
I'd appreciatte it if you added your ideas into the class that you most like.

/edit: Of course to not alter the mechanics of the game, there could be a LoM to redrive your chosen career into a new one (or perhaps not, there are hardcore players out there, so up to you to decide if you'd like a LoM or not).

Thanks Hivemind for reminding me it

hivemind
14-04-04, 19:30
I would be happy if the character creation screen simply listed the equipment that came with each profession.

I don't like your idea, simply because one of the really really cool things about Neocron is LoM pills, which ensure that no one ever wastes playing time since they can always readjust a mistake later.

Sleawer
14-04-04, 19:32
Ah I knew I forgot something.
This would require a new LoM pill of course, to redrive your career into a new one.

You could have suggested that instead just disregarding the idea, it's not that hard.

hivemind
14-04-04, 19:42
Pfft, it's your idea... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hivemind
14-04-04, 19:43
Actually, I'd suggest a special mission to change careers, like a mini epic. Some retraining for your new job, not just a pill.

How's that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive tombstone
14-04-04, 21:13
I like the idea, it adds more RP to the game, as well as more purpose to the point of selecting a proffesion. Because i do this when i make my character, I just select a profession, take out all the points, redistribute them, and wala, my newbi points are as I want them, with no visible representation of my profession I had chosen.

KK LOOK AT THIS THREAD! thank you.

5 stars. PS perks and flaws need tweeking.