PDA

View Full Version : The re-release of Neocron...

RayBob
14-04-04, 04:31
The initial release of Neocron was not properly handled by CDV. The BDoY September 1st release date should be viewed not as an expansion pack release but as a re-release of the entire game.

DoY was originally intended to be a free expansion available only a few months after the retail launch. I suspect that DoY was content that KK wanted to be in the initial release but was simply unable to complete in time. That is why it was going to be free.

If Neocron is to be successful over the long run, it will be from attracting many new players and not from selling the expansion to the current customer base. Therefore, I suggest that KK not charge us for the expansion. Furthermore, they should begin releasing the BDoY content to us over the next 5 months in regular patches. The entire community can help them iron out the bugs before the official re-release date. Let’s consider these first 2 years as Beta 5 and let’s work together to make sure the game is ready for the tens of thousands of new customers this fall. :cool:

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 04:33
For your idea to work they'd have to separate servers into NC and DoY, no?

Otherwise there's little point in trying to sell something that's already patched into the game. It'll just be assimilated into Neocron and can't be called an external expansion pack.

Unless, this is what you're aiming for.

naimex
14-04-04, 04:34
it has been long decided that there will be :

Neocron Classic

and

neocron beyond dome of york

server / servers

RayBob
14-04-04, 04:41
For your idea to work they'd have to separate servers into NC and DoY, no?No, the current servers would gradually become the BDoY servers as the content is systematically released over the next 5 months.

Otherwise there's little point in trying to sell something that's already patched into the game. It'll just be assimilated into Neocron and can't be called an external expansion pack.
Unless, this is what you're aiming for.Well, that's the point. The expansion should not be SOLD to the current customer base but rather given away for free as originally intended. This will keep the current customers happy and also help them test the new features. The game would then be re-released in September with the planned advertising campaign and hopefully attract many new players.

SyncError
14-04-04, 04:44
I understand how everyone would like BDoY to be free...

...but honestly that's a slap in the face to everyone who has worked on it.

People deserve to be PAID for their WORK. Yes, that's right. Even KK.

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 04:46
Consider the possibility that this 're-release' would pull in tenfold as many current subscribers.

If however KK doesn't expect such a massive increase...i.e. if they don't even double their current base......then there is your reason why they're making us pay for the expansion.

RayBob
14-04-04, 04:59
I understand how everyone would like BDoY to be free...
...but honestly that's a slap in the face to everyone who has worked on it.
People deserve to be PAID for their WORK. Yes, that's right. Even KK.I do pay them, every month on all 4 of my accounts. 8|

More importantly, I think KK is trying to do too much with the expansion. You only have to look at their patch history to see the many bugs that have been introduced with often minor changes. They have limited resources and most will very likely be dedicated to testing BDoY thereby leaving little time for the current customers. By releasing the expansion features to us in small chunks we won't feel neglected and we can all help KK polish the game before the re-release and flood of new players.

Spoon
14-04-04, 05:02
Too little, too late....

hegemonic
14-04-04, 05:15
Hrmm.. I like this orange text too. Tangy...

I am in agreement with RayBob's post here and on the "STICKY that we all knew would happen anyway"... so put a big 'lurker's ditto' from me on RayBob's posts.

I think Bounty posted a wonderful solution to the problem over on the "STICKY that we all knew would happen anyway"
--make all active NC players paying beta testers
AND in regards to paying for the Re-Release (if it EVER happens), we pay for the software also. mmmmmmmkay?

FFS FFS FFS FFS

Lanigav
14-04-04, 06:07
The BDoY September 1st release

Ugh. 4 and a half more months without any new content?

Xtro
14-04-04, 06:14
Nice ideas Ray trouble is KK seams only to think of there pockets and want to squeeze there bread and butter till there is nothing left personally i think Martin J is a clone of Bill Gates he has always charged again for upgraded products so why not Martin J

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 06:22
Because the name isn't pronounced Bill G. D:

/BadPun

Nash_Brigham
14-04-04, 06:25
Nice ideas Ray trouble is KK seams only to think of there pockets and want to squeeze there bread and butter till there is nothing left personally i think Martin J is a clone of Bill Gates he has always charged again for upgraded products so why not Martin J
:rolleyes: Yep, KK is the only corporation thinking of their pockets when they are trying to make ends meat, yet ppl will jump all over a new expansion from a multi-billion dollar company (Everquest anyone) without so much as blinking.

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 06:28
Oh come on folks!

MJS doesn't want or need a 3rd rolex..

So that means he can't be AS bad as Mr. Gates, now can he? :D

P.S.: Either you guys play only this game or you haven't experienced worse games. O_o I suggest you reconsider either selection to further your lives.

Helius
14-04-04, 08:18
I like the idea it owuld keep player count.

But it will never happen so why even mention it.

THey just announced the date they are going to set it back again(if not sooner) there not going to change there minds.

RayBob
14-04-04, 09:10
I agree that KK is unlikely to consider this suggestion, but I feel it is a mistake on their part. Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying the upgrade price come Sept. 1st. but I, and most players, want to begin enjoying some of the new features now and not in 5 more months. We have waited too long.

The average server population—on all servers combined—is only about a thousand players. That is smaller than the private betas of most games. They will need all of us to properly test and debug the new features. But again, I have no expectation that KK would make that decision. God forbid they let us have a little fun. :rolleyes:

suler
14-04-04, 09:48
I think it's a bad idea, I don't see how releasing it as a free will bring in anybody at all. If they repackage it and readvertise and market doy as a new product they will get alot of new people compared to just adding doy step by step.

However having a beta before launch might be a good idea. Also the new features can't save the game, the only thing that can is if doy is properly advertised and published. Of course it already seems like they aren't doing shit advertising so whatever.

Mattimeo
14-04-04, 10:31
Also the new features can't save the game, the only thing that can is if doy is properly advertised and published.

And bugs fixed, synchronizing issues resolved, content added... things of that nature that got people to pass over the game the first time.

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 14:23
However having a beta before launch might be a good idea. Also the new features can't save the game, the only thing that can is if doy is properly advertised and published. Of course it already seems like they aren't doing shit advertising so whatever.
There will be a beta.

May I ask if say Half Life 2, or Doom 3, or whatever had months to years of advertisements? I don't watch tv or read news so I am ignorant on this subject.

As far as my common sense goes, they don't have much reason starting their advertisements half a year before their game is released. More like a month or two before and then keep advertising AFTER the game is released.

At any rate, it was stated that around the time of the release 10tacel's PR activities will start up concerning this game, which was held hand in hand with the saying that they could not blow the deadline as a result.

Garg [RogueNET]
14-04-04, 14:32
Let’s consider these first 2 years as Beta 5 and let’s work together to make sure the game is ready for the tens of thousands of new customers this fall. :cool:

ahahahha tens of thousands of new members.... imagine the lag on saturn :lol:

Xiphias
14-04-04, 14:49
lol, i likw the idea of paying for *beta 5* :rolleyes:

Kenjuten
14-04-04, 15:03
According to most, you already were. :p

There will be a closed beta to help out DoY.

suler
14-04-04, 20:10
Half life 2 has already been advertised greatly, there was the infamous add of the crowbar that got the internet speculating about its release before they previewed it.

The only reason I think they should of already started advertising is because they already started preorders, which they should of held off till a few months before launch in my opinion.

I really hope doy will be a success like everybody else but I am not going to have blind faith in a company that has let us down before.