PDA

View Full Version : Hacking

MrDomino
12-04-04, 17:07
I'm starting a new hacker since the last one is all fucked up because of bad skill distribution. Anyways, how is the best way to raise INT by hacking? The last Spy I managed to get up to 140 hacking and I don't even know how I did it. How much skill does hacking certain things give? Also, I heard that there was a special hacktool. Any information on this?

kurai
12-04-04, 17:13
I'm starting a new hacker since the last one is all fucked up because of bad skill distribution. Anyways, how is the best way to raise INT by hacking? The last Spy I managed to get up to 140 hacking and I don't even know how I did it. How much skill does hacking certain things give? Also, I heard that there was a special hacktool. Any information on this?
a) Don't try and raise INT through hacking alone - you'll die of old age - the XP gains are pitiful. Same with doing it with Researching, past about level 80. Use rifles - you get DEX & INT (and a little STR). Use tech rifles to raise INT fastest.

b) I've never seen any difference going above about 115 Hack, be it for belts, OPs, mobs etc etc.

c) No - there's no special hacktool. There is a longstanding bug :rolleyes: (possibly from start of retail) where some Crytons branches offer two hacktools in the list - they are both identical, except one costs 1 CR more.

Kal
12-04-04, 17:23
fastest way to level int is drones.

they level int and dex at about the same speed

Eddie
12-04-04, 17:33
c) No - there's no special hacktool. There is a longstanding bug :rolleyes: (possibly from start of retail) where some Crytons branches offer two hacktools in the list - they are both identical, except one costs 1 CR more.

There are a few (lucky) people who have TL120 Hack tools.. which were the result of an event (Point Red was it?), which are a little like Artifact 120% Construction tools.. and, to my knowledge, isn't any better than the average one you can buy at Crytons.

Also, I think the FA "faction reward" is a TL120 hacking tool by the name of Hell's something... (Hell's Gate?)

Eddie

MrDomino
12-04-04, 17:38
Can anyone verify this?

kurai
12-04-04, 18:54
fastest way to level int is drones.

they level int and dex at about the same speedThe INT gain on tech rifles is about 85% the DEX rate - not really enough difference to use that as sole justification for going droning.

There may well be other reasons Mr.Domino might want to try drones, but that shouldn't be one of them.

kurai
12-04-04, 18:57
Can anyone verify this?Yep - Eddie is right.

The TL-120 spawned ones I forgot about, but they don't do anything different from a storebought.

The FA faction reward I didn't bother mentioning because there isn't yet any kind of non half-assed (or fully assed, for that matter) method of working your way towards it yet.

(Note: This is not an Epic Reward we are talking about here - this a different thing to do with Faction Councillors, GMs, medals and suchlike. Given the level of KK staffing and numbers of GM/FC type personnel nothing is going to happen any time soon)

Aziraphale
12-04-04, 20:02
Also, I think the FA "faction reward" is a TL120 hacking tool by the name of Hell's something... (Hell's Gate?)

Eddie

Heavens key I think.

Eddie
12-04-04, 20:06
Heavens key I think.

That's it. Knew it was something Heaven/Hell like :)

And like kurai said, unless you have an affair with a GM, the chances of you getting one are pretty slim.

Eddie

Archeus
12-04-04, 22:27
The FA faction reward tool has no special effects. It is a normal hacktool just used for roleplaying.

Heavyporker
12-04-04, 22:33
man.. if that Heaven's Gate gave a +hack and INT... you'd see every last FA going over to hacking, i bet.

Eddie
12-04-04, 23:14
man.. if that Heaven's Gate gave a +hack and INT... you'd see every last FA going over to hacking, i bet.

That's why faction RP rewards do not give any boni beyond what normal things do: that would unbalance things too much, and make everyone hop to the faction most suited to their character class. And make only a few "select" characters have the edge in PvP.

Eddie

Kenjuten
13-04-04, 04:46
Current Epic rewards.

And it must be reiterated that Heaven's Key is NOT an Epic reward. It is a faction reward.

The tradeskill chip and Gaya glove will make many people like being in Fallen Angels and Chran Sect respectively more.

naimex
13-04-04, 04:47
Heavens key is a faction reward hack tool..

It is a TL 150 Hack Tool with Hack 120 hack requirement..

Gives no bonuses.

Crucificio
19-05-04, 02:20
In Crytons Tools Shop, they sell TL30 Hacktool, and I saw a few other Hacktools that were a higher tech level, but costed a LOT more. Do the higher tech level (and higher priced) hacktools increase your hacking skill or anything?

If they don't, then what is the sense of selling a higher tech level and higher priced hacktool that doesn't do anything differently than a TL30 Hacktool that is very cheap?

I am wondering if it is worth it to buy the high priced hacktool for some reason, like you need the high tech level hacktool to be able to hack certain licks or something?

Shadow Dancer
19-05-04, 02:22
The more powerful your hacktool the longer you can stay inside the matrix and the more damage you can take. In addition you can take on more complex AI programs with a more powerful hacktool.

BombShell
19-05-04, 02:24
The more powerful your hacktool the longer you can stay inside the matrix and the more damage you can take. In addition you can take on more complex AI programs with a more powerful hacktool.

then i take away the weed and smack u aginst the head :o

Crucificio
19-05-04, 02:25
I thought the matrix (or hacknet) was not in the game until DoY expansion comes out?So buying the high level hacktools won't make it easier for me to hack boxes, doors, or robot corpses?

J. Folsom
19-05-04, 09:01
The higher level hack tools currently do not do anything special over the cheaper lower ones.

They might come in useful later, but I would not currently try and save up for one.

yavimaya
19-05-04, 09:10
In Crytons Tools Shop, they sell TL30 Hacktool, and I saw a few other Hacktools that were a higher tech level, but costed a LOT more. Do the higher tech level (and higher priced) hacktools increase your hacking skill or anything?

If they don't, then what is the sense of selling a higher tech level and higher priced hacktool that doesn't do anything differently than a TL30 Hacktool that is very cheap?

I am wondering if it is worth it to buy the high priced hacktool for some reason, like you need the high tech level hacktool to be able to hack certain licks or something?

I pose the same/ a similar question for Remote Implant Tools! I have over 150 Implant on one of my guys, but am poking everyone with my TL 30, because i was told " it doesnt matter, they all do the same job"..... and they all do poke all levels. however, are my customers not benefitting from my higher skill level because of my tool?

winnoc
19-05-04, 09:34
Nope, the tl30 hacktool does it all the same as the rest.
So does the remote implant tool.

If you need tl150 tools go to buy the crappy cheap ones at plaza 2 YO'S
instead of crytons in plaza 1.

Crucificio
19-05-04, 19:31
But for research, construction, and personal implants, you do have to buy the higher tech level tools to match what you are researching, constructing, or self-implanting?

Techi
19-05-04, 20:10
There are a few (lucky) people who have TL120 Hack tools.. which were the result of an event (Point Red was it?), which are a little like Artifact 120% Construction tools.. and, to my knowledge, isn't any better than the average one you can buy at Crytons.

Eddie
heaven's key.

Techi
19-05-04, 20:12
I pose the same/ a similar question for Remote Implant Tools! I have over 150 Implant on one of my guys, but am poking everyone with my TL 30, because i was told " it doesnt matter, they all do the same job"..... and they all do poke all levels. however, are my customers not benefitting from my higher skill level because of my tool?

if you want to get a TL150 remote tool, you can, but there's no actual difference...and when it breaks and you can't repair it, you'll get highly pissed at having spent that extra money...