PDA

View Full Version : Better Dead then Red :(

Archeus
12-04-04, 13:12
I was contemplating about becoming evil (I am already hunted by some). However going red would be character suicide. 3 deaths and that would be it. My character would be ruined.

I don't mind giving good loot for dying, but not my whole character.

With the hunting option now (NCPD) it is time to scale back. Here are some suggestions.

#1 Jailhouse Changes.
In Jailhouse make it the one reasonable safe place for bad guys. Put up more warning signs for newbies. Add a Genrep there. The GR can only be used if you are Red Soullight.

When you die in Jailhouse if you are yellow/green you drop 1 item. Reds drop no items in this area.

This gives the reds a somewhat safe haven, allows Yellow bounty hunters but they can't loot (only kill).

#2 Drop rules
Lower the drop level so reds only drop 1 of their most expensive items always. No safe slot. Bare in mind with NCPD they will always be hunted.

#3 Outcasts
They can no longer genrep to their apartment. If they attempt to GR to apt (or to a locked GR) then they will be venture warped randomly onto the map. This gives them two options when dead. (1) Go to a GR, allows item recovery but people may chase them and (2) random offers some running protection but can't rearm quickly (and can be hunted by NCPD)

MrChumble
12-04-04, 13:25
To get to red soullight you have to either kill people in hunting zones (ie noobies) or kill allied factions (or a lot of neutral faction). Either way people with red SL deserve a helluva rough ride, far rougher than they get just now. The SL system is the only slight concession to RP, and it's a joke as it is, doing missions to fix your SL takes minutes, you never have to go into red, and if you do you're looking at 20 mins max to be back in the green.

Make things easier for RP ignoring PK wankers? Hell no :wtf:

Aziraphale
12-04-04, 13:37
Why would you lose your character after 3 deaths?

greploco
12-04-04, 13:39
yes, it should be a little easier to role play a villain

greploco
12-04-04, 13:41

the item loss is pretty much catastropic

Archeus
12-04-04, 13:53

Currently attacking Angels only I have died 12 times. Some really good stuff too. Currently down to 80k in cash replacing some of the stuff and also hunting to get more cash is made a bit more exciting by the fact a lot of people want to kill Julia :)

Now if that had been 12x5 It would of long since been game over. Also add that with the ability to track me where ever I go I would never be able to escape or hunt again to recover.

and it's a joke as it is, doing missions to fix your SL takes minutes, you never have to go into red

Then make Yellow people drop 2 items and killing in a hunt zone makes you red automatically (with these changes)

Valkyrie
12-04-04, 14:06
To get to red soullight you have to either kill people in hunting zones (ie noobies) or kill allied factions (or a lot of neutral faction). Either way people with red SL deserve a helluva rough ride, far rougher than they get just now. The SL system is the only slight concession to RP, and it's a joke as it is, doing missions to fix your SL takes minutes, you never have to go into red, and if you do you're looking at 20 mins max to be back in the green.

Make things easier for RP ignoring PK wankers? Hell no :wtf:

Errr no I have never done any of these things and yet I have had terrible soulight 4 or 5 times now. 1st time was when my factions reset when i left an old clan, and I got -99 TT symp (my faction) and I was told to kill FA turrets to raise it. I didn't know what really bad sl did so i kept killing them til I got -50 or so. Since then I have got bad SL as few times from the terrible crime of using AOE in an op fight and accidentally taking out half the Yos people. This happened twice when i 1st started using my doombeamer not realising the insane amount of AOE it produced. Note that I never mention pking noobies or allied factions.

Liebestoter
12-04-04, 14:16
How about... they make the NCPD list show all players with low soullight reguardless of whether they're on or not, plus some kind of mission which can be taken to kill low SL runners that awards a healthy chunk of change for the bounty hunter's trouble?

Aziraphale
12-04-04, 14:32
Now if that had been 12x5 It would of long since been game over. Also add that with the ability to track me where ever I go I would never be able to escape or hunt again to recover.

Ahh i see, thanks for clearing that up. Why would they be able to track you? Can you find the location of red runners somehow?

jernau
12-04-04, 14:43
Ahh i see, thanks for clearing that up. Why would they be able to track you? Can you find the location of red runners somehow?
NCPD tab on the citycom.

Aziraphale
12-04-04, 14:50
NCPD tab on the citycom.

Iiiiintersting

MrChumble
12-04-04, 15:14
Errr no I have never done any of these things and yet I have had terrible soulight 4 or 5 times now. 1st time was when my factions reset when i left an old clan, and I got -99 TT symp (my faction) and I was told to kill FA turrets to raise it. I didn't know what really bad sl did so i kept killing them til I got -50 or so. Since then I have got bad SL as few times from the terrible crime of using AOE in an op fight and accidentally taking out half the Yos people. This happened twice when i 1st started using my doombeamer not realising the insane amount of AOE it produced. Note that I never mention pking noobies or allied factions.

These are exceptional cases, and down to bugs or bad game design rather than player action. And you won't do it again will you? :D

If the meagre penalties for bad SL got reduced further NC would become even more of a noob gankfest than it already is. While the suggestions made might improve the situation for genuine RPers (both of them :p ) it would also mean that the PKing wankers who have no consideration for player level, experience or faction would get a far freer hand to ruin the game for other people. If the game wasn't so buggy (or in the case of vendors in ops, just plain dumb) I'd call for going the other way and making the red SL penalties far more harsh.

t0tt3
12-04-04, 17:04
Why? Make the drop change better... why?

Well today NOONE will ever be red so he drops 5 items per death..
IF it only where that they dropped one weapon and no slot 1 lock on then more would have that, that means there are more hunter to get their loot to kill the red one. Not noobish killers well there are pro killers to that kills capped ones, but you guys can only see as long as your forehead and that aint long!

under -16 drop 1 item + banned from NC would be tot. ok...
Donīt understand why some of you are against it..

Scikar
12-04-04, 18:23
Currently, the people who PK allied factions are indistinguishable from people who don't. Everyone has green or yellow SL. Add a system like this in, and make it extremely hard work to gain SL back. If you're red it's not too serious a problem.

Currently red SL doesn't punish people who PK allied factions. There are easy ways to get your SL back. The only people it does punish are people using AoE at OP wars, that kind of stuff.

So put Archeus' ideas in, make SL much more difficult to regain, and it could work.

Jest
12-04-04, 19:12
Those would be pretty decent ideas for SL. The problem is the SL system makes absolutely no sense. You shouldnt be punished for SL from killing allied factions. That should be a faction sympathy thing. SL loss should happen when a player initiates the attack on another player and kills that person in a non war zone, or something to that effect.

I really wish red SL was viable but people are so resistant to it as you see. They think anarchy will ensue and ganking will suddenly be out of control. I am highly in favor of viable reds but even in a changed system I wouldnt go around attacking allies for no reason.

That being said, this is one of those issues that will be completely ignored by KK till BDoY, so not much use arguing for it (that Ive personally found). Reason being I think the whole Balance of Power engine that we are "supposed" to have now will be implemented, and there will be a lot of other changes with safe zones, etc...

Marx
12-04-04, 21:14
SL as it stands now makes no sense.

Why?

Because it has several different definitions, none of which really make sense.

Some say its your standing with other players... But its not. We're all living thinking people, and if we don't like them, we don't like them - it doesn't make them red.

Some say its criminal status. If this was true, shouldn't it be that only pro-city (and therefore pro-law) factions should get the benefit of hunting them? Nothing chafes my balls more than getting offed by a member of my own faction just so they could get my stuff. Anyway, what about criminal factions? Shouldn't every member have automatic red SL?

The only thing SL really does is make it so one won't (or will at least have a hard time) kill(ing) allies. Frankly, if the clan war system ever gets implemented the whole idea of SL would be moot, but in the meantime... Here's a simpler way to deal with it now that there are faction guards all over the place: Make it so having below X amount of FS will get you IMMEDIATELY attacked by the guards. None of this "Yipeee, I can run through the zone and don't have to worry about anything at all" crap. Now people will have a reason to work up faction sympathies periodically.

That's right, so even Mr. Protopharma manz would get gunned down in p1 if he had below that amount of CA FS.

I personally like the idea of revamping OZ-8 some. I recall SD saying that they should up the SL gain from killing reds and have a reverse drop rate in OZ-8. That way, Mr. Yellowish-green dude kills a innocent red, gets ganked and drops five of HIS/HER items.

That'll teach 'em somethin'.

El Barto
12-04-04, 21:19
I liek the jail house idea, don't like number 2 though, I like the lots of stuff drop rule, and the last one is kinda alreight, but I think it would be better if you jsut couldn't GR into NC, maybe into PP, Industria and OZ, not sure about that though.