PDA

View Full Version : Darwinism - applied to Neocron

sparrowtm
11-04-04, 07:19
"Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose."
Richard Dawkins

A theory of biological evolution developed by Charles Darwin and others, stating that all species of organisms arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce. Also called Darwinian theory.
Merriam Webster

Without trying to go too far - do you think that social darwinism (a concept everyone can google for if interested) is the only way Neocrons ingame-politics can go? A neverending cycle of consuming small alliances so that bigger, more effective ways of "living together" in this virtual world can take place?

Is social-darwinism the ONLY path a society/clan/faction in Neocron can choose considering the game's warfaring nature?

Two simple questions - and I'm more than eager to hear your opinions. ;)

JackScratch
11-04-04, 07:31
Too simple a question. There are a lot more factors involved. Right now the populace of NC views their world in very simplistic terms, but fact is, supply and demand, popularity, psychomanipulation and other party games are grossely ignored. People are slowly picking up on these terms, but you are talking about a prodominantly young populace, and I'm betting there aren't a lot of college professors in the group that doesn't fall into that description. Then there are the wild cards, and in this age range you see plenty of those "Ill do whatever I want, I'm the coolest" that has a very unsettleing effect as well. Not to mention that many conflicts in this kind of atmosphere break out from boredom. I don't profess to have your answers, but it is a very dynamic world right now, could easily go in any direction. I know what I'm fighting for.

suler
11-04-04, 08:23
I don't think that it has to be that way however, it will definetly stay that way. As long as the population is stalled everyone will cling to the biggest easiest clans/factions to be in.

Darwinism definely could be applied to the current state of neocron because everytime someone trys to do something different, they come up against the bigger creatures and die out(uh leave from being bored).

I think the situation would be completely different if there was a steady flow of population. Mainly because all of the new people would form new clans and have equal opposition from the other new clans.

Biznatchy
11-04-04, 09:11
I don't think that it has to be that way however, it will definetly stay that way. As long as the population is stalled everyone will cling to the biggest easiest clans/factions to be in.

Darwinism definely could be applied to the current state of neocron because everytime someone trys to do something different, they come up against the bigger creatures and die out(uh leave from being bored).

I think the situation would be completely different if there was a steady flow of population. Mainly because all of the new people would form new clans and have equal opposition from the other new clans.

Well Im sure I went to the NEXT faction to be with the big cool group :) . Not all of the players in the game sheep over to the major factions to be with the super powers. Well many do and should be ashamed for it.

But indeed new clans will emerge and attempt to compete with the big guys there just needs to be a few more that will brave the harshness of being in a small group to help make it grow up. It just doesnt happen fast. I mean the guys that started black cartel didnt build the black dragon faction in a day it took time.

Aziraphale
11-04-04, 10:38
Pluto was suffering from this, but the clan leaders of certain major clans were very reasonable once a meeting was called, and now the map is beautiful in its variety of colours :D

Sorry, not really relevant....just wanted to pimp up Pluto ;)