PDA

View Full Version : [idea]Mob Taming

Mingerroo
10-04-04, 21:09
Simple concept, a fair bit of code though.

I would love, as a wastelands dweller, to be able to tame the beasts of the wastes. For example, those large 1 star mobs, imagine sitting on the back of one of those, commanding it to blast the hell out of your opponent with fire!

Of course, it should be a skill, with varying degrees of success, a necessity to feed the creature and maintain it, and the player would need to be fairly devoted to the beast.

Also, the beast should, after a long time of using the same one, begin to level slowly. Because of the skill levelling, players would start by taming wild dogs and such and telling them to attack certain enemies (more successful with more pet levels) and raise to the point of sitting on the shoulders of a grim chaser, ordering it to tear down/set alight the enemy!

What do you think, worth the time?

Steve

seraphian
10-04-04, 21:16
interesting idea, not sure if it's code implementable, but it would be neat.

The only thing I would add is the ability to make certain mobs 'wild' and untamable. It makes sense that once a warbot is programmed (or goes berzerk) you can't just teach it to 'heel' and 'roll over', and something like a Grim Persecutor could be 'too aggressive' to train

this would allow players this kickass ability without risking a herd of 120/120 mobs spawning babies storming your OP...

Balthasar
10-04-04, 21:16
beastmaster skill :)

sounds nice ... and who didn't ever want to show his private drom around ?

edit :
or sitting on the shoulders of the MC 5 Base Commander, lmao :lol:

Mingerroo
10-04-04, 21:33
Rofl @ Balthasar

Of course there would be certain restrictions, mobs you can't tame. For example ALL mechanical mobs can't be tamed and fed (some of them hackable perhaps), and the bigger, more badass mobs should be untamable too.

Steve

amfest
10-04-04, 22:31
I think they shoudl work somewhat like soul clusters (cough AI cough) only since they wont' be soul clusters and maybe more ground creatures they won't get too low and cant' attack heh. There should only be a limited number of creatures you can tame which you buy from a store. It will be an activation module you can pull up, aim at target and summon to attack target. None of this summon, it automatically attacks faction enemy and not mob thing, heh. The module capsule will have a health meter where condition normally is to display remaining health and max health. The creature levels up after so much time to it's max rating. There are food packets you can feed it to replenish health when you desummon it. You just put module and food packet in processor and click start to feed. Feeding shouldnt' be an instant thing :D
If the creature dies you lose it. The module becomes worthless. I don't think you should be able to tame wasteland beasts but special new beasts or low level beasts that are setup and captured. So you just go to the store and buy a Dog, wolf, bat, mutated Dog (the one with the psi power), cruncher, creeper, snake, and maybe scorpions and spiders. These would start out slow like current mobs but as they progressed get faster and faster and hit somewhat harder. maybe they could even evolve as they level up changing from a small spider to a spider to a large spider.

Next I think you should be able to summon the creature without attacking by just casting at nothing. Next you can right click on the creature and an Order list should pop up. Like Guard, Attack (what you attack) , follow, Do nothing, Return.

The reqs for using such a creature should be INT, and willpower. It just seems to make sense to me. It woudl also give droners a guard creature while they are droning as it could alert in the chat interface
Dog: BARK! or something to that effect if something is near.

These would just be helpers and not an actual combat skill you can fight alone with, so i don't see anything like someone riding atop a grim chaser's shoulder. that's just silly. I think it should just be small pets that you can use in leveling and maybe in pvp but i doubt it will do much. But something might be better than nothing i guess. although I think you'd run into the problem of hitting your pet and getting it killed after your hard work leveling it.

I know I mentioned a bit of the stuff you mentioned in the first post but I just wanted to put it all down as I see it together ;)

Mingerroo
10-04-04, 22:47
Yeah, it should definitely by one creature (maybe three at the most) at any one time. I wouldn't like to see a mass of tamed terrormaulers swooping towards me all because of one guy! I think it should be fairly offensive (Like soulclusters), and the sitting atop one was just an idea ^^

I wouldn't mind not being allowed to sit on it if I can have a pet emote (stroking the creature [no inuendo intended]) while I feed/tame it (or when I feel like it). I think the importance is not to add another store-bought module weapon type thing, but more of an interaction with the surroundings, so I would have to insist on it being a tame rather than a summon.

Steve

amfest
10-04-04, 23:30
I was just trying to shoot for something I could see being implemented. You don't have to add another subskill somewhere cause that woudl take time. It's bought in stores so the mob AI and such could be totally seperate than regular mobs. How do you intend to carry or take your pet place to place? or level it? You'd have to compact it somehow if you do, and if so it's a summon when you bring it back out anyhow. Even if it was from wild beasts you'd need a special glove and maybe item. if so it'd be more like final fantasy where you almost kill the creature andthen use the capture device on it. But I don't like that idea much. I'd still prefer there be a store that sells the ones you can train. how about instead of putting a module in quickbelt there is an actual picture of an animal in your INV and you just have to drop it from your INV for it to spawn like a turrent. Right click will still bring up the options to return anyhow. Also when you zone your pet will zone also if it's close enough. so you can actually take it around in the city (which is why I don't think something big like terror maulers works at all). of course in safe zones the animals wouldn't attack anyone. well maybe bark or make noises at hostile factions :D

I think it would be cool to see runners walking around with their pets moving after them. Can you imagine walking down the street and passing by a hostile faction member and hearing their dog start to growl at you. and maybe a few other dogs barking at you. I think it would add atmosphere