PDA

View Full Version : Neocron over GSM 9.6K - it works

zii
10-04-04, 03:07
Congrats to me (for trying it) and KK making a game that works over a snail's internet connection.

I'm travelling, currently holed in a hotel in Santiago.

I'm connected over my mobile phone on 1900mhz GSM.

The connection between phone and PC is over an IR link.

I have dialed up to an ISP.

Guess what? I'm playing Neocron over it. It works! I was in P2 on Pluto, zoned into the Aggies' cellar and killed some and zoned back to P2. Did some more missions and that was that. I didn't have the courage to do some bigger mobs in case the connection dropped or I lagged out.

But, Cool. I can do it. Fantastico! I;m dead chuffed.

Hats off to you KK.

Ciao.

Darken
10-04-04, 04:50
what was ur ping ?

Benjie
10-04-04, 07:12
lol. :)

What exactly did you play it on again? I'm not familiar with all this Narrow band internet fad where even your pencil case has a USB port and 28k modem.

jernau
10-04-04, 07:49
Nice one.

I'll bookmark this post for use next time some chump starts bitching about the "netcode".:rolleyes:

Original monk
10-04-04, 09:23
nice nice indeed :)

Argent
10-04-04, 09:38
Nice one.

I'll bookmark this post for use next time some chump starts bitching about the "netcode".:rolleyes:

I hope that was sarcasm since the fact that Neocron doesn't use much bandwidth definetly doesn't mean that the netcode is efective and precise in other ways. Actually quite the opposite and you should know that.

kos
10-04-04, 10:10
if you can connect to any remote server through your connection then i dont see why you wouldnt expect it to work.

Brammers
10-04-04, 11:04
I'll be interested to see how a 9.6k works at a op-war.

Mighty Max
10-04-04, 13:20
Hehehe, did that too some time ago.

But it aint viable. had pings around 1500-2000 and yeah Zones with much players/chars are bad since the bandwidth cant go above 1200 (see ALT+F)

But its nice to just relax and do some PvM after a hard day of work.

Q`alooaith
10-04-04, 13:34
lol. :)

What exactly did you play it on again? I'm not familiar with all this Narrow band internet fad where even your pencil case has a USB port and 28k modem.

The idea is it's mobile...

You could for instance play neocron on the train, or some other place like that where you don't have a phone jack.

metalangel
10-04-04, 13:53
I considered this... until I realized my laptop battery would last maybe 90 minutes of NC before going DEAD, and what happens when you go through a tunnel?

jernau
10-04-04, 14:37
I hope that was sarcasm since the fact that Neocron doesn't use much bandwidth definetly doesn't mean that the netcode is efective and precise in other ways. Actually quite the opposite and you should know that.
There are other relevant issues that's true but this is an excellent test as GSM is not only low bandwidth but also high latency and low priority. All together it proves what I've always said - that this mythical "netcode problem" doesn't exist. Every time it comes up I ask someone to please define in precise technical terms what they mean by "netcode" and all I get is silence or some mumblings about running quake 1 over a 28.8 modem.

Inchenzo
10-04-04, 16:22
Well i actually played neocron over GPRS it works good, had a steady ping of 700, with current technology it's definatly playable with a laptop/mobile/gprs combi

Omnituens
10-04-04, 17:46
what happens when you go through a tunnel?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel_rogers1/forum/sync.jpg

a simulation of what will occur