PDA

View Full Version : Real Human Movement...

yavimaya
10-04-04, 02:59
Ok. I was wondering, with all of the brilliant games that have come out over the past year or so, and the great things that have been done with interactivity and movement, why have we go no proper movment systems?

I would really like to see Proper abilities implemented.
Eg:
1) Laying down, for those ultimate sniper shots..

2) Grabbing ledges and railings.. when you cant quite make a jump with your feet, what do you think your hands are for? :P

3) cant think of no.3 and beyond right now :P

If anyone else can think of anything else plz feel free to say so.

Shadow Dancer
10-04-04, 03:05
I want rolling.

Like to dodge stuff. :p

]v[ortice
10-04-04, 03:06
1. This isn't America's Army
2. This isn't Prince of Persia.

Your first Idea wouldn't be too hard to create.
Your second Idea would be fucking over the top.

You want better Player-Surroundings Interaction... don't we all.

What you ask is not in the spirit of the game or ridiculously hard to implement.

amfest
10-04-04, 03:08
Do you realize how long neocron has been in the works before it even hit retail? and how old the engine really is :p there's your answer on why we don't have that.

But there is no real point to actually laying down maybe considering people can run up to you in no time but then again it might help snipers actually snipe without really being seen since they don't have to stand up and be obvious. Also if people fire back at you the ground might actually give you some cover which i see happen with mobs sometimes. I don't know about actually climbing things with your hands but I would like an actual climbing animation put in instead of the walking or floating jerky-like up the ladders

yavimaya
10-04-04, 03:15
v[ortice']1. This isn't America's Army

Your first Idea wouldn't be too hard to create.
Your second Idea would be fucking over the top.

What you ask is not in the spirit of the game or ridiculously hard to implement.

did i say i want it like those games? how is it not in the spirit? they are trying to make things fairly realistic yes?
then being able to grab onto ledges and the like when you "just cant make that jump" really should be there :P

and i understand its an old engine, ive played since Beta 4, and know how long that took. but if they can just "rip open thier code" and change the graphics engine etc, why cant they add a new feature and a few new animations?

Zanathos
10-04-04, 03:58
Most game have parts of these things that you are refering to.

1) Laying down, for those ultimate sniper shots..

Americas Army, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and many more.

2) Grabbing ledges and railings.. when you cant quite make a jump with your feet, what do you think your hands are for? :P

Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, and many more.

I want rolling.

Like to dodge stuff.

Americas Army again

Some games have some of these kinds of things. Red Faction when explosives go off mostly near walls, chunks of the wall can be blown off.

Enter the matrix, you can also blow off parts of objects with your weapons.

Lanigav
10-04-04, 04:00
Animations just need to be improved and throw in some rag-doll phsyics while they're at it. Everything in the game just feels horribly stiff and weird.

Zanathos
10-04-04, 04:07
Unless you can truly control the "PLAYER" its impossible to have truly realistic human movement.

(virtual reality)

Lanigav
10-04-04, 05:37
Naturally that's true, but when you compare the animations and movements of the characters in this game to other games like FFXI, the difference in quality is astounding.

Drake6k
10-04-04, 05:53
Adding lots of movement stuff destorys FPS games IMO. Look at Unreal :rolleyes:. dodging and all that... pointless. Of all the mmorpgs out there Neocrons movement feels great. Kinda like how Halflife or Quake felt, you can climb on anything and it feels smooth. Shit like grabbing ledges might fuck everything up.

/laydown and /sit emotes would be cool for roleplay... but you shouldnt be able to fight like that. You can already kneel to snipe. I'm going to guess that going prone might be overpowered as finding or hitting a person might be impossible. Its simple and works great as it is.

Cytaur
10-04-04, 06:31
WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT GAME HAS PRONE OR GRABBING LEDGES ?!?!?!

Nowadays all games have that ! If they dont, that means they don't need it ! Look at UT2k4 for example, do they have either prone or ledge grabbing ? No, neither. Does BF:Vietnam has either ? Yes prone, because it's a war game, what kind of battlefield it is when you can't prone ? But no ledge grabbing, it ain't action reaction game for you. Look at splinter cell: pandora tomorrow... They have all sorts of ledge grabbing, hanging from it etc but no prone, why ? Game's already too slow with it's stealth style gameplay, no neeed to slow it down even further.

It's all about if the game needs the feature or doesn't and not what other game has it and why can't we. Fools

Zanathos
10-04-04, 06:42
Hear hear Cytaur!

Although more realistic animations in the game is ALWAYS nice :)

and btw, with the current game mechanics, even if you are prone, far away, your shadow will be standing up, hence your prone cover means nothing.

even then, if there was no shadow, prone would not be overpowered, if you cant find him then the sniper is doing a good job isnt he?

Psycho_Soldier
10-04-04, 06:50
I like some realistic movements but some games go too far and completely ruin the feel for me. For example, BF1942, the way the person walks, the speed, and everything about it is very annoying to me. One of the reasons why alot of people play games is to get away from the limitations and complications in real life. I think Neocron is too slow already to add things like proning. They should get rid of the rectile, make combat more FPS like, and get rid of GR restrictions. I think that would improve the game alot. Real human movement would slow the game down too much (not that it isn't slowed down too much already). I think already that the fact that Neocron has stamina is a bit shitty but since it has stamina boosters, it makes up for it.

Benjie
10-04-04, 07:09
Here is a better question. Is it important?

More emotes; yes please! But hanging from ledges? Rag doll physics?

Zanathos
10-04-04, 07:35
not only is the engine probably incapable of rag doll physics, it probably takes an incredible amount of time to code.

why do we need to hang from ledges?

more emotes would definetly be nice.

allow us to Roleplay more!

Benjie
10-04-04, 07:37
more emotes would definetly be nice.

I consider this single aspect to be quite important, although from an asphetical point of view only.

It by no means scores above bug removal and stability.

Kasumi
10-04-04, 07:37
I would rather see realistic movement in the models before anything else, than maybe "rag doll" physics and other possibles things.. :)

Estabin
10-04-04, 07:38
I like the ideas and would love to see them implemented. But they have a lot more on their plate that they need to take care of before they add anymore.

TraumaTeam
10-04-04, 07:48
I'd settle for seeing an accurate representation of the other players in real-time. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to strafe and being shot when you're "behind" the other player. (I know this is an MMORPG thing - it always bugged the crap out of my in Planetside, too).

- Nekura

jernau
10-04-04, 07:59
Lying/Crouching - YES!!! Snipers really need this. Also I want to lie on the bed in my apt.

Ledge hanging - No. This isn't some 3rd person Tomb Raider clone.

Leaning - YES!!! Considering how much this game "borrows" from SS how was this missed out?

Rolling - Can't see the point.

Emotes generally - Yes please.

Rag-doll physics/Deformable environment - I doubt it. The engine upgrade would need to be IMMENSE to add this stuff. They aren't things you can just add-on to existing systems.

Zanathos
10-04-04, 08:01
What you are describing is what we call lag.

im sure you know what that means right?

in case you dont.

its the amount of time it takes for you to communicate to the server and the server to communicate with you.

the lower your ping the better. (Better internet connections help this issue to a certain extent.

jernau also has a point.

but if people are gonna lean in this game, we need to physically see them lean, some games dont have that (i.e. wolfenstien enemy territory)

Cytaur
10-04-04, 08:05
the best action game that has all sort of movements, and I say action - not simulation is Far Cry... like come on, this baby has everything.

Leebzie
10-04-04, 11:53
It does hit home more that it is a game when you think 'what the hell, I could make that so easily IRL' (i.e. when you reach a slope that's about 45 degrees and just cant make it up, when IRL you'd slow down a little but make it with ease)

A few more things like this (certainly lying down, why cant we do that ? O_o)

Well, Extra features like this are more than welcome.

Aziraphale
10-04-04, 13:42
Going prone = sex.
Would be highly useful to snipers, who quite frankly need a little sexing right now.

dunno about rolling though.
Ledge grabbing would be interesting, but I know it won't happen

metalangel
10-04-04, 13:51
Ledge grabbing is shit... it's in System Shock 2 and Thief, among others, and it just feels... odd... you walk up to the ledge, hold down JUMP and you sorta just end up on top of it, it's weird.

As for going prone, maybe, but already I can see someone lying prone, spinning in circles while three of his buddies hack at him with junk knives going 'LOL' :rolleyes:

TraumaTeam
10-04-04, 14:58
What you are describing is what we call lag.

Actually, it's a trade off the developers made between the realistic representation of each character and network performance. In most MMORPGs, they can make the same tradeoff and it doesn't matter because of the nature of their combat systems.

In FPS MMOs (Planetside, Neocron), it's more important because of things like strafing.

For example, in Planetside the alien race had these massive Power Armor suits that had massively powerful guns. However, they were not very mobile. In a regular FPS, I could have a field day with them as long as I could strafe and stay behind them. In PS, I never got a real picture of which way they were facing, so they would be shooting me while I saw their guns pointed the other direction.

This is a just a pet peeve annoyance for me and one that probably can't be fixed any time soon. Neocron's network code would have to be amazingly tight to do a real representation of each character and creature in a zone...

yavimaya
21-04-04, 06:58
the best action game that has all sort of movements, and I say action - not simulation is Far Cry... like come on, this baby has everything.

That is my inspiration for my ideas, well not ledge grabbing.

and you people dont seem to realise i dont want to hang from ledges and move around on them, just if you cant make the jump you catch it and pull yourself up.

Dreamhunter
21-04-04, 13:54
[ edited ]

]v[ortice
21-04-04, 14:38
Why ressurect this thread?

What your asking for would not improve the gaming experience in neocron at all in my opinion.

We don't need to hang on ledges... there's no call for being spidermen in an MMORPG.

Snipers don't need to be prone to be effective either. They have plenty of range as their cover and they are not penalised when aiming whilst standing up.

If you can't see why I said it isn't in the spirit of the game I can't help you.

If this game was offline then maybe they would be useful... but your asking for a whole new bucket load of bugs and possible exploits with them with these 'features'.

Jeros82
21-04-04, 15:15
) Grabbing ledges and railings.. when you cant quite make a jump with your feet, what do you think your hands are for? :P

3 words !!!!

HOLDING YOUR GUN !!!!

cRazy2003
21-04-04, 15:24
1. This isn't America's Army

REALLY?

jernau
21-04-04, 16:03
v[ortice']Snipers don't need to be prone to be effective either. They have plenty of range as their cover and they are not penalised when aiming whilst standing up.
Do you play Neocron?

Other than that point I agree.

(oh and spiderman would be fine in some MMOs - eg CoH).