PDA

View Full Version : Making the Doombeamer useful

Lanigav
09-04-04, 23:28
Basically, right now people only use the Doombeamer for shits and giggles. The damage isn't as good as that of the Malediction or Moonie, and while the slightly increased AOE range is nice, its not really worth it. For a TL 115 AOE cannon, it should be awesome and desirable.

I think either the damage should be increased, or it should function like the rest of the Raygun weapons and have increased damage up close and decreased damage from far away.

Duder
09-04-04, 23:34
How about decreasing runspeed and removing para while boosting AoE damage?

Problem with AoE is that people can move so fast they can run up to you, making your medium to long range AoE useless. Then comes the shitty circle strafe dance. With people moving slower, they cant run up to you when youre shooting AoE, as they would die. AoE would be useful for area supression.

Lowering runspeed and upping damage would also make the long range weapons useful such as AoE & Rifles. People might have to *gasp* use cover to avoid getting killed and use tactics then the usual zerg rush and circle strafe quake style. Hell even on UT2k4 Onslaught theres more to winning a match then Neocron OPs battles. You gotta do more then just rush the base with numbers and circle strafe and shoot for a few minutes.

Scikar
09-04-04, 23:39
Make it shoot direct like other rayguns. It's high TL so therefore hard to build to high quality and difficult to cap - we don't cap RoF on CS without gimpage/PPU/fortress so it's not like it'll be blisteringly overpowered. Make those last 10 strength levels actually worth something. It's never going to be a useful weapon as long as it's AoE, AoE weapons are simply pants. Moon Striker hurts but you can't hit a damn thing with it, Mal is good but not much more accurate and the projectile travels too slowly. Doom Beamer can never be much more than the Mal and therefore is pointless in its current forum.

If people are concerned that it'll be overpowered on the grounds that all ray weapons are then wait for Lupus' weapon reworks to come into force, and then it'll be fine.

Btw, it doesn't have a wider area of effect than Mal or MS. It'll show the graphic of hitting lots of targets but the ones far enough away don't actually take any damage.

Biznatchy
10-04-04, 09:05
Btw, it doesn't have a wider area of effect than Mal or MS. It'll show the graphic of hitting lots of targets but the ones far enough away don't actually take any damage.

Doesnt it work a bit different. As in if you shoot the Doomie things in the path take damage till the ball of energy hits somthing. The mal and moonie just go hit explode, all around the explosion take damage. Its been some time since i shot one ill admit.

But ya the thing that kills AOE in PVP is the tremndious drawback of not being able to fire when your standing much less running. I mean you can fire but god knows where that thing will go. The aiming is horendious standing or running. I know you should take aiming lose not crouched but the way the aiming is you cant be moving in a fight and lay down a mal shot in front of a target to run into. You will do more damage to yourself then what your shoting at.

Also the limit to first person view. I cant stand the first person view with the silly head bobble. It you fire a AOE wep in external view no telling where it goes.

Kal
10-04-04, 16:26
doombeamer should remain aoe but should seek its target

Clownst0pper
10-04-04, 16:30
What about the punisher drone?

TL 122, terribly hard to cap, awful PVM dmg, awful PVP dmg.

7 tl's higher than a doom beamer, yet a doom beamer on a Chaos Lieutenant does 450 dmg, a punisher does 120 dmg or there abouts.

Now tell me which needs a boost...... o_O

Radamez
10-04-04, 16:35
All rayguns are more effective at close range, but obviously with the doomie at present it cannot really be used in close quarters due to the fact you'll kill yourself before your opponent.

One way to make the Doomie more appealing to use, would be to lower (or even completely eliminate) the damage the firer takes when using it.

Maybe reduce runspeed to balance it nicely and I think it would make quite a useful weapon.