PDA

View Full Version : I'm quite sure its client side

LiL T
07-04-04, 15:46
The damn game crashes and crashes still crashes yeah so I did a fresh install of neocron. Now I ran it and it logged in straight away :eek: and I was able to play for hours with out a single FRE. I use the citycom to read the ingame forums I was able to read posts for the first time in months. Then out of the blue while I was clicking those posts BING FRE!!!!
Ok now the game was fine till I used the damn citycom it was running perfect but I got too tempted to read the ingame forums. My qwestion is does the game download that data and save it to the disk and that data is corrupted would it cause the game to crash more. I'm pretty sure the bugs are client side is there not a temp folder where the game stores stuff that can be deleted after a while to clear out the crap.

LiL T
07-04-04, 16:08
ok ignore that crap ^^^

what I mean is apart from keyconfig and any user settings stored does neocron have some sort of cache folder where it keeps data. As if for future reference to speed things up because when I reinstalled the game it ran pretty damn well. I could stand in plaza 2 afk for 1 hour then head straight in aggies and not crash but now it seems the game is messed up again. After it crashed the first time kind of like a slow degrading process in the code :wtf:

I'm asking this becuase we (customers) are asking like every week for a responce on the bugs from KK. We get nothing like "dear customers we are working to find the cause to the fatal runtime errors"

Come on WTF is up with this game PLZ?

Biznatchy
07-04-04, 16:23
One thing I will be doing is do a fresh install then do the key setups and log in get my rpos setup the way I like it. Then before the game has a chance to bugger itself copy the whole folder to a safe place under a different name.

Then when the FRE's start coming up just log out delete the folder clear the recycle bin and then copy the saved one back in and run.

This takes up some space but I have a new 80 gig drive that can do it. It should work without doing the whole install and patch thing.

blaczero
07-04-04, 16:44
i did a fresh install of my OS and the game. i formatted and installed new.

i didnt get ANY crashes for about 4-6 hours of play time, now im crasing about 1-2 times an hour. i expect that in a couple days ill be back to crasing 10 times an hour.

something is goin on with the games client that is for sure.

numb
07-04-04, 16:58
I've always found crashing to be quite random, some days loads, somedays few.

I just thought the problems coming from using citycom were due to your client having to receive a fair amount of data, and if a packet got corrupted along the way, the client might crash.

Kal
07-04-04, 17:08
i crash differently depending on which server im on,

uranus u'll get 1 or 2 per hour maybe and maybe 1 in 20 zonings

on venus however i get 4 or more per hour, andget one about 25% of the time when i zone

El_MUERkO
07-04-04, 17:23
I had 512 megs of ram and i crashed rarely, now i have 1 gig and i crash even less and 99% of the time while syncing, once I crashed wile standing perfectly still, I'm pretty sure FREs are caused by memory leaks.

rob444
08-04-04, 03:01
Yep, most likely memory leaks, neocron is probably trying to overwrite precious data, making neocron cry.

naimex
08-04-04, 03:09
Yep, most likely memory leaks, neocron is probably trying to overwrite precious data, making neocron cry.

thats not very nice..

I dont get many fatals or crashes either...

(so think we can slowly assume that its a memory leak, and 1 gig of ram is the recommended amount...)

(got 1 gig too...)

Kal
08-04-04, 03:14
i got 512 but fps seems nothing to do with my comp o_O

some places i get unplayble fps and theres nothing there

sometimes theres tons going on and my fps is amazing

weird

naimex
08-04-04, 03:18
i got 512 but fps seems nothing to do with my comp o_O

some places i get unplayble fps and theres nothing there

sometimes theres tons going on and my fps is amazing

weird

thats cuz it still mainly runs on CPU..

not until DoY it will start using GFX and CPU. instead of main CPU and a little GFX

LiL T
08-04-04, 05:15
memory leaks hummm and theres a way to test for these using a certain windows tool gonna mess around with it a bit

Kenjuten
08-04-04, 06:13
Yeah...oddly enough it's called Windows ME.

...wait, that doesn't show how bad the memory leak is with NC. It just shows how badly the memory leak is on your comp in general. :p

(I use said OS, so I know. :( )

XSuneX
08-04-04, 06:19
The damn game crashes and crashes still crashes yeah so I did a fresh install of neocron. Now I ran it and it logged in straight away :eek: and I was able to play for hours with out a single FRE. I use the citycom to read the ingame forums I was able to read posts for the first time in months. Then out of the blue while I was clicking those posts BING FRE!!!!
Ok now the game was fine till I used the damn citycom it was running perfect but I got too tempted to read the ingame forums. My qwestion is does the game download that data and save it to the disk and that data is corrupted would it cause the game to crash more. I'm pretty sure the bugs are client side is there not a temp folder where the game stores stuff that can be deleted after a while to clear out the crap.

Look, I NEVER played a game that crashes FRE's ETC... (Whatever you want to call it), more often then NC.

I played allot of the other online games. None of them crashed at all.

And it's not me. It happens no my three computers in two different houses before & after switching from DSL to cable. ETC ETC ETC....

The code in the game sucks!

What else is there to say, but I wouldn't play AO for example if you paid me.

NC has got some good potential, so I have played it for a while now & just live with it. The $9.95 a month price keeps me though, any more and I would be insulted to play such an unstable game & just go back to NWN or something.

And no I'm not using my Mommies Credit card, I'm 36 yrs Old and got plenty of money.

rob444
08-04-04, 15:06
XSuneX Im glad we share the same thoughts :D

Scikar
08-04-04, 15:11
Given that KK are a very small team compared to the devs of other MMORPGs, what would you say if they proposed to increase the subscription to say, $12.95 but on the grounds that they would use the extra cash to increase the size of the dev team and work on bugs etc, and use the cash from DoY to switch to a more reliable server provider?

rob444
08-04-04, 15:15
I'm not sure, I dont think it would affect the game that much at all, except customers leaving. That's what I believe.

Charles Weng
08-04-04, 15:24
Yes thats my opinion too. I think it is the client side that causes crashs.
Some kind of Memory leaks.
I had 256 MB RAM and stocked to 512 MB RAM and the game goes smoother then ever.
But still to much Crashes for my taste... :wtf:

Best Regards
Charles Weng

Promethius
08-04-04, 15:45
Well i thought way back they already said its client side? Anywho a while back before i got the updated Directx I use to crash alot 0-5 times an hour. After i got the updates i would crash roughly 1-3 times daily (about 12 hours). But like said before it seems to go through a degrading proccess. It now crashes the usual 0-5 times again. Is there anyone with a really 'good' computer, if so can we get some input on there number of crashes? Lookin for like 2.8+ ghz / 1+ gb ram / a fairly new gfx card. Anything around these ballpark figures.

btw i run a:
1.2 ghz amd athlon xp
756 ddr ram
40 gb HD
geforce 4 ti 4600

naimex
08-04-04, 15:55
well as I said, I dont crash often or have many fatals.

Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4 Ghz
DDR-PC 3200 400 Mhz 2x 512 mb ram
GeForce FX 5200 DDR-PC 2700 333 Mhz 128 mb ram

dunnno if thats big enough, or new enough for you..

Opar
08-04-04, 16:08
But we love the game anyway.

LiL T
09-04-04, 05:23
I really don't think it matters what sys specs you got Its the game thats crashing It f*cking its self up to the point of crashing 2 times every hour.