PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanting to study Game Theory

Archeus
07-04-04, 10:39
I recommend this book.

Ultimate Game Design: Building Game Worlds (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072228997/qid=1081327067/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-9067675-7206240?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

Just got it. Very impressed by the content.

jernau
07-04-04, 11:09
Sorry to be the pedant but Game Theory and game design are rather different studies.

You working on something them Archeus or just intellectual curiosity?

Archeus
07-04-04, 13:45
Sorry to be the pedant but Game Theory and game design are rather different studies.

It covers that as well, but gives a good overview of the industry and what to expect when developing/designing a game (eg, costing/development/test plans/prototyping). Also some other nice bits in what to expect when designing a particular genre (MMOG, MMORPG, singleplayer) to particular formats (console, PC, devices).

You working on something them Archeus or just intellectual curiosity?

working on something.

naimex
07-04-04, 13:51
without any knowledge of world building, or game design..

I would say the key to any game or world...

....is individualism..

You could make a million worlds, and a million games..

and none of them will come close to the individual world of a childs imagination.

jernau
07-04-04, 13:56
erm..

Game Theory is the mathematical study of conflict-based decision making, it's nothing to do with games per se.

The only application it would have in a computer game is in AI design which usually takes up some fairly large textbooks all on it's own.

naimex
07-04-04, 13:59
erm..

Game Theory is the mathematical study of conflict-based decision making, it's nothing to do with games per se.

The only application it would have in a computer game is in AI design which usually takes up some fairly large textbooks all on it's own.

but what you are saying.. if i understand it correctly that is.. that Game Theory is nothing more than a script guide..

That is not really a problem to learn... if the tools are in order..

(for the above mentioned statement, I would like to put the neverwinter nights script editor into the bag of proof, i have never had it as easy as that to write scripts.)

Original monk
07-04-04, 14:00
which usually takes up some fairly large textbooks all on it's own.

booring ya mean :P

jernau
07-04-04, 14:10
No, it's not just a few scripts.

In it's more advanced forms it allows very complicated models of systems that appear at first to be controlled by free-will.

It really has nothing at all to do with games of any form - the name comes from the fact that "game" is the term used for a set of rules upon which decisions are made. Those rules are more likely to be political, moral or financial than technical.

@Monk - Actually it's fascinating for a while, up to the point where your brain starts to feel like mush.

Archeus
07-04-04, 14:40

Should of said "Computer Games Theory". :p But your right, that is briefly covered as well (in relation to games).