PDA

View Full Version : MMO record?

jernau
07-04-04, 10:08
Today I got an email from EVE (offering free play-time to ex-beta players) and it contained this claim :

Last Sunday evening (2004.04.28) at 21:05 GMT, 8.867 played EVE Online at the same time! We here at CCP are quite confident in declaring this a world record for the highest number of players together, at the same time, in the same 3D world.

This record belongs to the players of EVE Online, and we wholeheartedly congratulate them on this achievement and at the same time invite you to join them in this fantastic world that EVE has become.

This record, apart from being a testament of how long EVE has come, means that in EVE you can interact with more people at the same time than in any other place. If you are a hero or villain in EVE, you are so to the whole of EVE not just on your little shard.
IMO that's a steaming pile. Looking at the real mammoth MMOs 8,867 should not be very much.

Do you they think they have some funny definition of "3D World" as a get-out-clause or something?

Soal Kestlan
07-04-04, 10:26
I think there claim comes from the fact that a lot of other MMORPG's spread there customer base across multiple servers running completely separate worlds of the same game (like NC, if you are playing on pluto you wont see players who are playing on saturn).

EVE online has only 1 game world, so everyone sees everyone else.

I still would have thought that a few other MMORPG's must have reached this or gone over this player count (SWG has something like 400,000 subscribed players, and about 15 different worlds running (someone correct me if i'm wrong please), so you would think a server would top 10k at one time).

Until the companies running these MMORPG's publish more figures, I guess we'll never know if CCP's claim is true... :confused:

shodanjr_gr
07-04-04, 10:27
IMO that's a steaming pile. Looking at the real mammoth MMOs 8,867 should not be very much.

He means 8.867 players on the same server. Not on the same game. Which is logical since Eve only has one server (Tranquility i think) which usually averages at about 6-7K players during the nights.

jernau
07-04-04, 10:35
He means 8.867 players on the same server. Not on the same game. Which is logical since Eve only has one server (Tranquility i think) which usually averages at about 6-7K players during the nights.
I did wonder about that especially with the last para. I'm still surprised that the record is so low though. I tried Google for numbers for Lineage but for some reason it kept giving me AC fan-pages O_o .

Archeus
07-04-04, 10:36
I saw about 11,000 on an AC server one time.

Opar
07-04-04, 12:15
I saw 20,000 people on a Neocron server once.

Tratos
07-04-04, 12:44
........:eek:

You were opbviously dreaming.

~Tratos

Judge
07-04-04, 13:14
Or high. Dreaming, or high.

Original monk
07-04-04, 13:45
Or high. Dreaming, or high.

think its more like drunk, then ya start to see things double :) or triple .. or

shodanjr_gr
07-04-04, 13:51
I saw 20,000 people on a Neocron server once.

Share the drugs!!! Dont keep the good stuff to urself, please!!!!

Celt
07-04-04, 13:54
Today I got an email from EVE (offering free play-time to ex-beta players) and it contained this claim :

Do you they think they have some funny definition of "3D World" as a get-out-clause or something?Quite a few MMO's dont seem to like publishing statistics, I doubt eve would say something like this, without some evidence to support their claim...

Who knows though :)

jernau
07-04-04, 14:01
Quite a few MMO's dont seem to like publishing statistics, I doubt eve would say something like this, without some evidence to support their claim...

Who knows though :)
EVE plot the server usage stats for players I think from looking at the piccie in the email. I'm guessing it's private though, not public and I'm not a subscriber so I can't be sure.

Spex
07-04-04, 14:19
I think thats quite impressive already. Besides the bandwidth (dunno how much, with an assumption of 3kB/s per user you get like 25MB/s at server side, maybe its even more ... you have to multiply this by 8 (and add some overhead) to get the MBit/s which is normally used for NIC).

Secondly you can assume that a modern computer can handle maybe like 500 players at max (well, depending on the game, 2D ISO MMORPGs are easier to implement, means more players per computer). You would need like 20 computers for the server to handle 9k players.

And these are just calculations based on data from the blue sky, just to see what such a number could mean.

metalangel
07-04-04, 14:43
Could you imagine Neocron with 6,000 people on ONE server? It would be madness! The chat window would scroll past impossibly fast, you couldn't move in Plaza or any of the hunting spots, and you might actually have a fellow passenger on the subway :D

Cyphor
07-04-04, 15:21
Could you imagine Neocron with 6,000 people on ONE server? It would be madness! The chat window would scroll past impossibly fast, you couldn't move in Plaza or any of the hunting spots, and you might actually have a fellow passenger on the subway :D

heh i think once nc hits 600+ on one server it crashes and needs re-booted :p the most i can remember seeing was in the high 500's on pluto at the start of retail, and it caused alot of server probs :(

Anyone know how buggy eve is with that many people on the same server? I got the email too and might be tempted to give it a go.

jernau
07-04-04, 15:31
I'm DLing the client atm to give it a go. I seriously doubt it'll be any more interesting than it was before but it costs me nothing to have another look.

It had a lot of bugs and reliability problems when I played it last but that was beta so it's not fair to use that as a reference.

Celt
07-04-04, 16:21
EVE plot the server usage stats for players I think from looking at the piccie in the email. I'm guessing it's private though, not public and I'm not a subscriber so I can't be sure.Eve's online numbers are publically available - http://www.eve-i.com

sparrowtm
13-04-04, 13:45
[ edited ]

Nidhogg
13-04-04, 13:47
Bump closed.

N