PDA

View Full Version : Are City Mercs REALLY Mercinaries?

Clive tombstone
06-04-04, 22:43
As the topic is asking above, it seems to me that member of CM dont really act like mercinaries, or well not that, but well. lemme just say what mercinaries do

1#they are hired Guns (or swords if your melee :D )
2# they are set to do or kill something from one faction or anyfaction, if the money is right
3# they serve no-one but there best interests
4#The only act when its in there best interests.

I know this is kinda not clearly stated but can someone help me out with explaining this??

Rith
06-04-04, 22:46
As the topic is asking above, it seems to me that member of CM dont really act like mercinaries, or well not that, but well. lemme just say what mercinaries do

1#they are hired Guns (or swords if your melee :D )
2# they are set to do or kill something from one faction or anyfaction, if the money is right
3# they serve no-one but there best interests
4#The only act when its in there best interests.

I know this is kinda not clearly stated but can someone help me out with explaining this??

We've tried hard, but this game doesn't really accomodate RP Mercs...

You can't kill any faction - tho we've tried and our SL tends to yo yo

You can't act like mercs because there's no market for mercs.

I've given up on the whole possibility of mercs being able to play as mercs

Dribble Joy
06-04-04, 22:48
I currently actually do have a contract with Biotech on Uranus, not that they ever do any fighting, ah well 500K a week for nowt :p.

I do try to maintain utter neutrality, which actually has got me into trouble with the other Uranus mercs.

RP wise, yes, of course we are mercs, and perhaps in the future there will be opportunity for it to work like this a bit better, but at the mo, it isn't easy.

Filth
06-04-04, 22:51
Rith prittmy much sumed it up the way mercs are we have enamys in BD and TG if that wasent enuff we also have a few tangent clans wanting blood on us ,

If we try playing RP a merc we get more troble from the people we are hired to kill thay take it porsonal rather then a bussnes aragment and let me tell you ide RP the hole guns for hire thing if i could.... but merc realyl dont need any more factions wanting blood we alreay have cartel bodys monting up on are door steps we need some kinda garbage removel system to get rid of them..

Opar
06-04-04, 22:52
KK really need to at least TRY and make a system...

Dribble Joy
06-04-04, 22:53
Exactly, I have helped people under a contract, only to find the people I have fought against placing my clan under KoS, and I have to spend forever trying to sort it out and explain to them that we were being hired.

So much hassle....

Gestra
06-04-04, 23:27
Why should people not KOS you since merely because you use the excuse of being a merc?

You take the pieces of silver you pay the price for it. Guns for hire mercanaries bah. Sell you soul for a dollar.

MegaCorp
06-04-04, 23:32
Cold Steel Mercenaries on Pluto existed for a while some ways back. They were actually a good group. I/we hired them multiple times when our clan's Ops were attacked and we only had a couple people online. Cold Steel charged an hourly rate and always delivered the goods, efficiently and effectively - it was pretty cool from a roleplaying perspective - which ever guy was leading the team would speak in a very military/merc manner when issuing orders and speaking to us their client. Was quite saddened when they eventually broke up.

Spook

Dribble Joy
06-04-04, 23:48
Why should people not KOS you since merely because you use the excuse of being a merc?

You take the pieces of silver you pay the price for it. Guns for hire mercanaries bah. Sell you soul for a dollar.

Exactly, they can hire us (sell our souls if you insist), to aide them incounter attacks.

The mercs aren't a force as such that allies with another, but a resource to anyone with the cash.

Rith
06-04-04, 23:49

I'm pretty cool with that - except it doesn happen...

There's no ingame facility for merc contracts and there's so little RP blood left in game that most people can't be bothered with the additional effort required to play / or hire mercs.

Neocron = FPS for people who are crap at FPS or have a sadistic desire to fight people who couldn't possibly fight back. Perhaps DOY will correct that, but it seems mostly candy. The whole MMORPG element in NC died about 6 months ago, all that's left are die hards who haven't given up or sociopathic fuck ups.

Judge
06-04-04, 23:53
[Edited For Violation Of The Forum Rules - Ulle]

Kenjuten
07-04-04, 01:13
In DoY, CityMercs will be Pro-City.

Like I said in another thread, I believe this will help CityMercs act out their mercenary status.

1.) They can finally live up to their name: CityMercs.
2.) They can be contracted properly to kill enemies.
3.) Only real problem is you can't really be contracted to kill anyone pro-city, especially since Biotech and Tangent are settling their conflict..well, maybe the same doesn't exactly go for Protopharm & NEXT..

Just keep in mind that even if contracted to kill neutral people (...As was also said, all factions in an Empire will be neutral or allied without the possibility of hostile), there should be an equal amount of workload.

Purely as example:
You kill Biotech, you gain Tangent symp.
You kill Tangent, you gain Biotech symp.
In the end you break even.

The position of a mercenary does have its poor points though. You can't really be trusted except by those you're under a contract with at the moment.

Not living up to the contract or taking up multiple contracts at once...
To act like this is not the role of a mercenary.
It is the role of someone that is full of greed or full of being lost.

At the same token, it is the client's duty to believe in the mercenary as agreed in the contract. If one must be distrustful of his dog, there is little point to hiring, or buying, one in the first place.
If one is distrustful to a true mercenary...that is without due purpose. A true mercenary will only act either to the highest bidder or to his current client. If you are distrustful, simply hire him.

I am sure many of you mercenaries are already knowing of these Laws of being a mercenary as well as treating one. I simply got inspired. :D

Dribble Joy
07-04-04, 01:20
It depends what kind of merc you are.
Some are those that are loyal to the contract regardless, others that cannot be trusted at all except by ensuring that you are paying them more than the opposition offers.

I come in the middle, though closer to the former type.

In NC's story, the mercs ARE open for hire by anyone, though they follow a cirtain moral code, nothing too dirty. Ie, they don't work for TG because they don't agree with TG's usual methods.

Though CM have been hired by CA against DoY forces, we do not know (though it is looking very much like it :() whether the contract is long term.

Glok
07-04-04, 01:26
What if you only lost FS for killing neutrals? Instead of both SL and FS.

Dribble Joy
07-04-04, 01:29
They need to get rid of the entire SL system and replace it with fac symp.
Determine whether guards/copbots shoot on fac symp.

Kenjuten
07-04-04, 02:04
I agree, currently the soullight system is theoretically only to be beneficial if you're pro-city. ASIDE FROM THAT, ingame currently there's many more risks to become red than it should be because of a present bug.

So yeah, when DoY hits, the soullight system should either be heavily modified or scrapped completely.

As an aside, after thinking about it, it is rather drab to be considered high soullight yet be an enemy faction or even under Reza...

The irony cuts both ways so deeply it's astounding.

metalangel
07-04-04, 02:10
The dream of the Citymerc is to be Milo Minderbender, his clan M&M Enterprises, and for them to get the NC equivalent of being hired by the Germans to defend a bridge and by the Allies to attack it.

(for those of you who haven't read Catch22, the outcome is that since he knows he'll attack, he doesn't need to defend, and since he knows he'll be defending, it's pointless to attack, so he makes a spectacular amount of money by merely signing his name twice)

slaughteruall
07-04-04, 02:56
The so called "Mercs we have on saturn just hide behind that name". Rith and his so called mercs need to do some research on that word before they should even try and play one.

Slaughter

amfest
07-04-04, 03:36
Personaly I think mercs shouldn't be able to have clans. the whole faction should be the clan in a way without interest in Ops really. Their base MB should be an Ops of sorts to them and that's it. In exchange Only mercs can take contracts to kill runners, guard duties and such that can be accessed from the terminals. so runners would enter in what they need and only a merc can apply for their job. The clan thing just makes it more personal than just an individual. Of course I'm sure people would just say CM is Kos instead of Sucn and Such's CM clan is KOS.

Filth
07-04-04, 03:38
The so called "Mercs we have on saturn just hide behind that name". Rith and his so called mercs need to do some research on that word before they should even try and play one.

Slaughter

IM sorry but thats total rubish the amonth of times riths got mad cuz ive killed some one i shoudlent is yah any way moving swiftly on .... :lol: ;) :angel:

Maybe you should do your homework and fidn out who Pheniox are befor opening your mouth and spouting total babble

Estabin
07-04-04, 03:46
The current Soullight system doesn't support a mercenary type faction, unless they made the faction hostile towards every faction so they can be hired out without fear of losing Soullight.

Doesn't matter to me, if you attack my clan one day and say "only business" I will kill you every chance I get... it's like a PKer saying "only business" after he GR kills you, except one is doing it for pleasure and the other is doing it for money... Don't really see why we should trust someone who will turn his back on you the moment someone bids higher.

amfest
07-04-04, 03:48

Slaughter

IM sorry but thats total rubish the amonth of times riths got mad cuz ive killed some one i shoudlent is yah any way moving swiftly on .... :lol: ;) :angel:

Maybe you should do your homework and fidn out who Pheniox are befor opening your mouth and spouting total babble
Hey guys keep it cool. This is how threads like these turn to total garbage. It just starts out simple and then someone starts bringing in examples giving clan names and individual names which is just wrong. then someone gets offended and says some sort of retort and then it goes on and on and on eventually leading to flame after flame [edited for flaming - vithar] [editied consistnay - Vithar] [edited spam - Ulle] and then eventually closed :eek:

The truth remains though alot of people have nothing to force them to be a merc. The only way I can see it being done is clans are taken out and a Council of sorta FC characters is formed in the merc faction. If you arent' being a gun for hire stricly and not working for the faction then you will be kicked out or something.

dL9
07-04-04, 03:56
KK really need to at least TRY and make a system...

They apparently tried and failed. A mercenary system was expected in beta 4 they say... then never heard of again.

ezza
07-04-04, 12:07
ya its hard to play the mercs as mercs, as someone pointed out BD and TG are natural enemies to CM, but on saturn some TT clans also atack them because of the way circumstances have occured.

but last night, helping a fellow crahn clan, I come to the op to see FA TG and mercs :wtf: now should i take it that they were hired by FA/Tg to help out and leave it at that, or do I KOS them for attacking crahnites.

and there lies the problem people dont know or dont want to treat you as mercs, and should they though? just cos your getting paid to do it should that really mean that like in this example that my crahn ass should leave you guys alone or should o rip you a new one for taking cash to fight me(if you did in deed get paid)

i know back when i was a merc when it was FLR,101st,oOo,MoD etc we had meeting and did try to discuss getting it to a payment type thing, but looks like its harder to put into action

t0tt3
07-04-04, 12:28
SL ruins the system its old and not overlooked, there has been many solutions to this problem but KK wont let it go :mad: :(

Booooh for the SL system down with it!

Dribble Joy
07-04-04, 15:47
Rade was right, this tread was replied to ages ago, but it keeps getting bumped, I smell a bug.

SilKK
07-04-04, 22:15
i reckon

cm should be renamed to wasteland mercs and bee neutral to both doy and neocron and be able to work for both citys and when you kill a neutral you should only loost 1 point of sl

Dribble Joy
07-04-04, 22:18
Good plan.

As said before the whole SI thing needs sorting/replaced entirely.

Rith
07-04-04, 23:22
The truth remains though alot of people have nothing to force them to be a merc. The only way I can see it being done is clans are taken out and a Council of sorta FC characters is formed in the merc faction. If you arent' being a gun for hire stricly and not working for the faction then you will be kicked out or something.

This isn't really the problem - there are a fair few people who really do want to be mercs.

Real issue isn't supply - its demand.

We tried to facilitate a conversation with smaller clans about a mercenary option - it was gate-crashed by most of the larger clans (who had a vested interest) who promptly destroyed the conversation. Problem is the game engine doesn't support "factions" as such. Mercs have no real mercenary capability, just as Tangent or Biotech have no real commercial capability. Large clans don't want mercs helping small clan's become competitive. Small clans don't really want to make enemies of large clans, given mercs aren't around forever. Result is mercs play as another faction...

Shame, but we can't force people to play the game how we want to... fact of life. All we can do is hope KK provide some incentive to play factions > clan rather than clan > faction.

Kenjuten
08-04-04, 03:03
Rade was right, this tread was replied to ages ago, but it keeps getting bumped, I smell a bug.
Er...this thread was made yesterday. O_o
Wait, do you mean that's the bug? That the first few posts are not supposed to be yesterday?

Estabin
08-04-04, 03:39
They can keep the Soul light system but just tweak it some, make it where if you are attacked by an allied faction and kill them you don't lose SL... just one suggestion in many most people have. They also need to fix clan wars so that when you declare war on another clan they turn red to you no matter what faction they are in... wouldn't solve all the problems but would be a start.